• Crockpot Recipe Swap

October 4, 2012

Yesterday started bright and early in the Haupert household, and some of us were a tad more enthusiastic about it than others.

GoodMorningPug

Look at that pathetic pug lip! Oh my goodness… haha!

Breakfast

Breakfast was “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats with a scoop of sunflower butter and a glass of iced Dandy Blend with almond milk. Mal and I ate breakfast together and, while we ate, we made a checklist of everything we need to do before we leave for Seattle (i.e. reserve a rental car, book taxi to airport, drop Murphy at the dog sitter, pack, print boarding passes, Google CrossFit boxes in Seattle… you know, all of the important stuff).

FYI: Here’s how to not ruin your pots when making “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats!

Lunch

I spent the rest of the morning work, work, working, and then broke for lunch a little early. My stomach was a-grumbling, so I reheated some leftover Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash. Delicious X 10.

After I finished eating lunch, I whipped out the crockpot to prepare dinner.

On the menu: Pot Roast with Cider-Maple Gravy and Mashed Butternut Squash. I love finding new recipes, so I’m constantly tearing out pages from magazines and other publications—this one came from a little booklet in my swagbag at Fitbloggin’.

Mmm… butternut squash… my favorite!

Once dinner was (slow) cooking, I started to pack for Seattle. You’d think with all of the traveling I do, I’d be a pro at packing, but I still kind of stink at it. It takes me forever to plan outfits and figure out exactly what I should pack, so I typically give myself at least a couple of days to get it all together. I usually end up changing my mind a bunch and remembering random things to pack. I dunno, it seems to work.

PackingWithThePug

Snack

A little while later, I needed to head into Boston for my doctor’s appointment, so I sliced up a banana and added some almond butter and cinnamon as a snack.

What’s your favorite crockpot recipe?

Feel free to leave a link or two in the comment section. I know I love finding new crockpot recipes, so I figured you guys would too!

P.S. MizFit is selling adorable workout skirts (with skulls on them!) on her blog. All proceeds benefit a family charity in Guatemala.

MizFit October 4, 2012 at 7:48 am

You rock. Thanks for the link love.

mary @ minutespermile October 4, 2012 at 7:49 am

Oh, anything chili. White chili, beef chili, vegetarian chili…you name it! I <3 crock.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! October 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

Yum! I love the sounds of your crockpot pot roast recipe! I made a great stew earlier this year in the crock pot – apple cider beef stew, but it was a bit more of a traditional stew with potatoes and carrots (and apples too, which was a fun addition). Was delish! http://whatisbakinginthebarbershop.blogspot.com/2011/11/crock-pot-apple-cider-beef-stew.html

dana October 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

Now that the weather is cooling off here in the midwest, I have been wanting to use the crockpot more and more! I LOVE crockpot cooking! But usually always need a receipe that takes like 10-12 hours because thats how long I am at work for.

This is an awesome paleo receipe from paleomg! its soooo delish! make sure to put avacado on top, it really makes the meal!
    Paleo Chicken Enchiladas!

Sara @ sarasmiles October 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

I just got a crock pot a couple of months ago, so I can’t wait to break it out! I want to try crock pot oats and sweet potato chili. But since I know none of those are paleo, I wanted to leave you a paleo-friendly recipe as well. Have a safe trip!

Tina October 4, 2012 at 7:55 am

Yummmmmm! I want to make this!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

My favorite is as simple as it gets. Hawaiian Kalua Pork. Take one pork shoulder, stick it in the crockpot and cover with water. Add 1/4 cup hickory liquid smoke and cook all day. The fat will skim off and it’ll fall apart then sprinkle with Hawaiian sea salt. Just like being in the islands!

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 October 4, 2012 at 8:06 am

Curry and Chili! YUM. I want to do more with it.

I did pulled pork before. VERY easy and the boys LOVE it.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 4, 2012 at 8:12 am

I love finding ideas to use my slow cooker! Great idea to do a recipe swap!

This is just an easy way to use up leftover wine and cook up a bunch of chicken to be used however you see fit. I do this on the weekend, and then have chicken for dishes throughout the week. http://eatmovebalance.com/simple-slow-cooker-shredded-chicken/

Also, here’s a vegan chili recipes for the slow cooker. I’ve also made this non-vegan by using ground bison. It’s versatile! http://eatmovebalance.com/fall-is-here-vegan-chili-recipe/

Jess October 4, 2012 at 8:27 am

Love the crock pot! It saves my life!!!

Devonshire October 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

my favorite is salsa chicken! Just two ingredients on low for 8 hours..perfect!

Christianne October 4, 2012 at 10:46 am

@Devonshire:
    My favorite also! But I add taco seasoning, a can of black beans and I stir in cream cheese at the end.

luv what you do October 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

Soups and chilis are my all time favorite thing to make in teh crockpot, but breakfast is good too. Here is my favorite healthy crockpot breakfast!

Stephanie October 4, 2012 at 8:33 am

these carnitas are one of the few crockpot recipes i love: http://cincinnatinomerati.blogspot.com/2010/08/taco-fever.html

Silvia @skinny jeans food October 4, 2012 at 8:36 am

Murphy says: “Oh no, that suitcase again! That can’t be good! One day I have to eat it!”

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life October 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

My favorite meals to make in the crock pot are turkey chili, pulled pork, and soups of all kinds! The longer flavors marinate (especially in chili) the better the end result, which is why I think these are my fav slow cooker meals!

Mari @ Wine Required October 4, 2012 at 8:46 am

Sweet potato and black bean chili is the best slow cooker recipe I’ve come across lately. I can make it weekly.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 4, 2012 at 8:47 am

I always loved it when my mom made roasted chicken in the slow cooker. So tender and juicy!

Nicole October 4, 2012 at 8:49 am

I still haven’t broken down and purchased a crock pot. But I keep seeing so many great recipes online – maybe it’s time!

Alyssa October 4, 2012 at 8:53 am

I love my Mixed Bean and Turkey Chili! It is a beautiful mix of sweet and savory :-)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

I’ve only used my crockpot twice… haha but I hope to use it more this winter! I’ve made pulled chicken from PB fingers (http://www.pbfingers.com/2010/01/25/two-ingredient-crock-pot-chicken/) and crockpot lentils from Hungry Hungry Hippie (http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/crock-pots-love-lentils/)

the 3volution of j3nn October 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

Look at Murphy’s face sitting by the suitcase! So stinkin’ CUTE.

Two of my favorite things to cook in a crock pot: Chicken tenders and pork; just cut them into small chunks, add salt and seasonings of choice, and let cook on low for 8 hours. Shredded chicken is awesome for everything. Add more sauces and flavorings as you like. BBQ sauce pulled pork, chicken salad, add to soups, make a collard green or lettuce wrap, etc. So tender and yummy.

Jessica@SweatismySanity October 4, 2012 at 8:56 am

Some kind of lime clilantro chicken thing I made off my Pinterest board…you put it on tortillas it was AMAZING. I need to use the slow cooker more…it’s so convenient. My bff uses hers almost every night, she works full time and has 3 small kids so it’s her life saver. Have fun in Seattle. Jessica

SweatismySanity.com

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 4, 2012 at 9:00 am

Oh my gosh, your dog is adorable!

NYC Fit Girl October 4, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hello! I just found your blog and I love it! Partly because I am obsessed with crossfit as well. I never knew in three short weeks I could go from not working out to loving it so much.

I actually just started a blog today about my adventures in getting fit via crossfit. I am a member of the 5th Ave Box, which is looks like you went to the grand opening. So fun!

Something my mom always use to do with the crockpot growing up was ribs. She would slow cook them with BBQ sauce all day. They literally would fall off the bone. Another thing (which I remember the smell mostly) was cutting up apples and adding them to the crockpot with pork. She would add cinnamon (and probably brown sugar too) and cook the apples / pork all day! It was the perfect fall dinner and the whole house would smell so good all day!

Tina October 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

5th Ave CrossFit is so nice! Lucky you! :)

christine October 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

I LOVE your oatmeal minus oats~ I add canned pumpkin into it and taste great! I also have a question, Did you stir your sunflower butter with the oatmeal or just eat the butter first??

Tina October 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

I stir it in! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m not really a crock pot fan, though I do love butternut squash – I just always have a battle chopping it up!

Allison October 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

You should come try out my box when you’re in Seattle. It’s Level IV in Ballard and it was the first affiliate box. Our coaches are pretty awesome, too! Hope you have a great visit to Seattle!

Ashlee October 4, 2012 at 9:36 am

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili! However, I think I am going to try to add all the ingredients from the fall hash you posted recently and make a crockpot “stew.” Mm!!

Becki October 4, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thanks for the no stick suggestion :)

I really like this crockpot recipe. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html

Since I’ve been sticking to the Paleo lifestyle, I’m planning on taking out the beans and maybe adding some chopped up sweet potatoes or other vegetable in their place. PaleOMG has some great recipes that I’ve been itching to try, too!

Jessica Fernandez October 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

Come visit my box! I go to Gravity Jane in Issaquah (just outside Seattle).We would love to have you guys. In addition to their regular schedule this Sunday they are having a workout at 9am. Weather is going to be gorgeous this week – little colder then it has been – but sunny!

Blog is the New Black October 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Just made this pumpkin chili!!! Ridiculous!!!!!

Leah October 4, 2012 at 10:00 am

I love my CrockPot! I’m working on finding new veggie-based recipes that don’t turn everything into mush, but I’ve always had great success with pulled pork– the McCormick’s spice pack is my secret weapon! I also made bread last week… just a bag of dough from Trader Joe’s stick in there on high for about an hour and it was done!

I just got back from Seattle– loved it! I remember seeing a bunch of Crossfit boxes while we were moseying around. We did a Duck Tour, too, which gave us a great view of the city in a condensed time (we weren’t there that long before we headed further northwest). Ask for Capt. Chaos! The rental car pickup/dropoff was a breeze from Sea-Tac, and the shuttle drivers were outstanding.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 4, 2012 at 10:15 am

Banana + almond butter + cinnamon is one of my all time favorite snacks. I have it almost every day.

Rachel F October 4, 2012 at 10:18 am

Have you tried Justin’s vanilla almond butter? It’s a Whole Foods exclusive, and I think you’d love it.

Jen W October 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

I’m a big fan of crock pot cooking. As I write this, I have a pot roast with root veggies cooking away at home! Besides pot roast, we use ours for breakfast casseroles (not healthy, but tasty and holiday-friendly), pulled pork and chili. Here is a link to crock pot chicken chili: http://kitchencrushes.blogspot.com/2012/09/easiest-recipe-ever.html

Djuan Means October 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

A good crock pot meal goes a very long way. Knowing you’ll remove to the lid to a perfectly seasoned, awesomely tender creation is quite the treat! I’ll be giving this one a try (along with that Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage and Spinach Hash)!

Cate October 4, 2012 at 10:26 am

I just got a slow cooker this year and I love making pulled pork in it. After rubbing it with spuces, I just put it in the slow cooker with beer, some onions and it’s ready I. About six hours. It is so good! Normally, I’m not a fan of pot roast but the recipe you posted sounds yummy!

Georgia October 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

I love slow cooker recipes! These are two posts I did on them and both are dairy free for when I was dairy free (obviously!) while nursing.

Annette@FitnessPerks October 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

I love chilis in the crock pot–oh and salsa chicken. SO delicious!

Have a fun/safe trip :)

Mo October 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

I LOVE my Slow Cooker Lasagna….trade the noodles for an eggplant cut lengthwise and you are all set! http://www.organicallymo.com/2011/10/13/slow-cooker-lasagna/

Mo October 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

And this is something we should all know how to do. Cook a chicken in a slow cooker! http://www.organicallymo.com/2011/12/09/slow-cooker-rotisserie-chicken/

Renee October 4, 2012 at 10:54 am
    Kimberly @ Healthy Strides October 4, 2012 at 10:54 am

I use my slow cooker all the time. It’s probably the only reason my family gets fed most weeks. Easy-peasy: Put an entire chicken in the pot with any root vegetables and seasonings you may like and a half-cup water. Cook on low for 8 hours. You can eat the chicken as is or shred it for soup, BBQ chicken or salads. I also like to do lentils and beans. I add the lentils with whatever spice mixture I’m feeling like (Indian: bit.ly/Wp7bPC) and have at it. Black bean chili is good, too (http://bit.ly/R0o5jH)

Kimberly @ Healthy Strides October 4, 2012 at 10:55 am

@Kimberly @ Healthy Strides: I realize the lentils and beans aren’t Paleo-friendly but hey. It’s an idea.

Michelle October 4, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love this Thail Green Curry from Everyday Paleo. She gives instructions for the CrockPot in the comments. I recommend adding lemongrass.

Life's a Bowl October 4, 2012 at 11:11 am

I loveee butternut [almost typed butterbut, bahaha] squash! And was sadly disappointed when I got home yesterday and found moldy squash… I don’t love moldy anything!

P.S. Awesome idea for the link-up, I’m looking for more crockpot recipes!

Sara October 4, 2012 at 11:12 am

My boxer gets that same sad look on his face with HUGE eyes that your pug has when I pack. One time, he even peed right next to my suitcase in protest. I just found this recipe on my own website that I had totally forgot about: http://www.pudgytopaleo.com/2012/03/let-me-see-your-cabbage-roll.html These are awesome in the crockpot!

B McD October 4, 2012 at 11:12 am

The picture of Murphy next to the suitcase is hilarious. Such a cutie pie!

Rachel October 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

I love when my aunt cooks her cabbage and carrots in the crock pot.. they always come out so soft :)

vanessa October 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

i love the IDEA of crockpot cooking, but for me sometimes it is just blah. that said, i did just make this roast with giardiniera and it was delicious! mine definitely took a couple of hours longer than the recipe stated to get tender, but it just depends on the size of the roast.

mary @ what's cookin with mary October 4, 2012 at 11:24 am

I saw on your meal plan that the pot roast you were making had butternut and a light bulb went off. I ended up making (what I’m calling & posting later today) Chicken & Butternut Squash Stew. SO GOOD. wow. I also have several crockpot recipes I love, but these two are the post viewed on my site…

This one has only 5 ingredients & can be made w. chicken or tofu:

This one is great for leftover roast turkey from Thanksgiving, but I often use rotisserie chicken from the deli or turkey breast when they have it:

mary @ what's cookin with mary October 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

*most, not post viewed

Amber October 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

I love doing pork ribs in the crock-pot. You can smother them in BBQ sauce or just use an awesome dry rub, like the Smoky Seasoning from Practical Paleo. The meat falls off the bone and it’s packed with flavor.