• CNC Meal Plan: Week of October 14

October 14, 2012

Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

Check out my grocery loot for the week:

2012-10-14_1527

I saved $35 on my shopping at Stop & Shop this morning. Not too shabby, right? (Wondering how I save money at the grocery store? Check out these posts: Grocery Shopping 101.)

Here’s this week’s dinner plan:

Shopping list:

• Grapes
    • Eggs
    • Shrimp
    • Toilet paper
    • Cleaning wipes
    • Halloween candy

*My shopping list doesn’t include all of the ingredients necessary to make the above meals. For a complete list, please see the individual recipes linked above.

What are your favorite websites for finding new recipes?

Here are some of my favorites:

Caroline @ Crunchy Carrottop October 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for years now and this is my first time commenting :)
    Pinterest is probably my favorite website to find new recipes on. I am addicted to it! I have over a thousand recipes on my “Recipes to Try” board.

Hope you are having a great day!

Tina October 15, 2012 at 6:45 am

@Caroline @ Crunchy Carrottop: Me too, including an “OMG Desserts” board! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace October 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Quick question Tina… Why don’t you eat whole eggs? Why the egg whites? Maybe you’ve answered it before…

Tina October 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I eat plenty of whole eggs– pretty much every morning, actually. I buy egg whites to switch it up and because I don’t always want a super eggy-tasting meal, like a sweet breakfast.

Kristen @ Change of Pace October 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm

@Tina: That’s actually a great idea. I might start doing that too. Thanks for answering :)

luv what you do October 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I love to search for recipes on the Clean Eating and Cooking Light websites.

Ed October 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Looks like a good system…similar to what we do!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm

For ideas with vegetables, I always search on A Veggie Venture’s website. Such a great resource.

Tina October 15, 2012 at 6:45 am

@Michelle @ Eat Move Balance: I’m always look for new and different veggie recipes. Thanks for the rec!

Lea October 14, 2012 at 5:37 pm
    kristle October 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm

other than just googling whatever i’m looking for a recipe for, i love love love peachypalate.com and ohsheglows.com for recipes. if i was on pinterest, i’m sure i’d never leave the house. i just look at my fav food blogs, and have a humungous bookmarks folder of recipes. i love making a dent in them :)

Angelica October 14, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I love Whole Living’s website for recipes. Simple, economical, nutritious, and delicious! http://www.wholeliving.com

Life's a Bowl October 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Pinterest, alll the wayyy!

P.S. I bought an acorn squash this weekend and have no clue how to cook it! I saw you had one on your grocery list… Suggestions? I’ve seen people put it into the crock pot but that’s about all that I know :P

Tina October 15, 2012 at 6:48 am

@Life’s a Bowl: I’m kind of boring with my acorn squash, but here’s how I make it: I cut it in half, dig out the seeds, brush the face with olive oil, and then bake (face down) for 30 minutes or so until it’s soft. Sometimes, I’ll add butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and raisins afterward, and sometimes I’ll mash it all up.

Life's a Bowl October 15, 2012 at 7:37 am

@Tina: Thanks! I like the idea of adding some cinnamon and maybe a drizzle of maple syrup :) Baking it for 30 minutes is much quicker than 6 hours in the crock pot too [simple, speedy, and satisfying = winner]!

Leila October 15, 2012 at 10:02 am

@Life’s a Bowl: I just baked an acorn squash for the first time last night. After googling a million different ways to cook it I sorta just winged it and did my own thing. I cut the acorn squash in half, gutted it (removed seeds, etc) then cut it it up in 1 inch slices. I just drizzled with melted coconut oil and a little bit of salt for about 15-20 mins on each side (watch it!) until it was browned on both sides. I just sprinkled cinnamon on top and ate it that way – it was SO FREAKING GOOD! I’m pretty sure I almost ate the ENTIRE acorn squash in one sitting. Hand downs my favorite squash.

Corrie Anne October 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Great haul! I LOVE paleomg, skinnytaste, and the clean eating magazine website.

Tina October 15, 2012 at 6:48 am

@Corrie Anne: Those are some of my favorites too! :)

Natalie October 15, 2012 at 12:25 am

Thanks so much for linking up and adding me to your recommended site list!! Hope you enjoyed your dinner tonight. It’s one of our paleo(ish) favorites! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

That frittata sounds like it’s going to be delicious!

I love checking Tastespotting daily for new recipe ideas. Also, any magazine website like Fine Cooking, Bon Appetit, and Cooking Light!

Mailoha October 15, 2012 at 8:39 am

Tina can you do a post on the different pots, pans, and other cookware/kitchenware that you use? Tell us the different types and brands that you like.
    Thanks!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles October 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Allrecipes.com. But if it is for something special and/or baking (non-paleo) then it has to come from Brown Eyed Baker.

The Kidless Kronicles

Leila October 15, 2012 at 10:03 am

Ummm, that coconut-almond fish recipe looks freaking amazing! Just put it on the schedule to try out this week. Thanks for the recommendation!

Missy October 15, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hey Tina! I love your posts about meal planning and grocery shopping. I just ready your posts “Grocery Shopping 101″ and I really hope that your tips will help me to save some money. I have a bad habit of spending about $100 every 2 weeks on groceries but the truth is that my cabinets are never empty which means I am not eating everything I buy. So I am going to try to get in the habit of not wasting food and not wasting money. Thanks for the tips!