• Army 10-Miler Recap & Post-Race Adventures

October 22, 2012

Hi, friends! Happy Monday!

So, not only did I survive the Army 10-Miler, I PR-ed that bad boy! Booyah! A huge thanks to Anne and Theodora for getting me through it!

Bright and early on Sunday morning, Katie and I left her condo to catch the Metro to the race. We arrived a little after 7:00 AM and then went to check our bags.

002 (640x480)

While we were walking to our different drop-off locations, Katie and I lost each other. I briefly stopped to take off my long-sleeve shirt (Panhellenic Rush shirt circa 2000) to put into my bag, but when I looked up, she was gone. The sea of runners gobbled her up and she was no where to be found. GAH! Panic!

003 (480x640)

Just as I was about to drop off my bag, Theodora called me and said she and Anne were at the bag check. I found them just a couple of minutes later, so I was relived to have friends to run the race with. We looked for Katie for a little while longer, but, eventually, we had to get going with our pre-race activities, including waiting in the super long lines at the porta-potties, so we stopped looking for her and headed toward the corrals. Thankfully, Katie was with her friend Nicole when we split up, so neither of us were totally alone, which made me feel better about not being able to run the race together.

004 (640x480)

Hey, matching headbands!

007 (640x480)

At 8:00 AM, it was race time! Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos of the actual race because I left my iPhone (and Spibelt) in my checked bag. Anne told me security would be confiscating phones and cameras at the start, so I didn’t want to risk having my iPhone taken away. At first, I was kind of bummed because I love taking race photos, but then I started to enjoy racing “naked” and not snapping pictures of every little thing.

Theodora, Anne, and I stuck together for nearly the entire 10 miles. The first 2 miles of the race were slow and crowded to the point where we were shuffling along and even walking at times. It was kind of frustrating— plus, getting elbowed and weaving all around to stay together isn’t so much fun—but I figured the slow pace would help me conserve energy, so I could make it to the end of the race in one piece.

By the time we hit mile 3, the crowds broke up a little bit and we cruised along for the next several miles, which was really enjoyable. I loved it all— the scenery (we ran along the water and monuments), weather (perfect – cool, crisp, and sunny), course (super flat), and crowd support (bands every other mile and tons of Army personnel cheering us on). Honestly, I don’t know where those miles went. Basically, miles 3 – 8.5 were a total blur for me. The three of us talked non-stop about anything and everything, which kept my mind off running, so the miles just whizzed by.

As we approached the final mile of the race, I realized I wasn’t all that tired. Sure, I had run almost 9 miles, but at a comfortable pace, so I had energy to spare. As soon as I saw the marker for mile 9, I picked up my pace and continued to run faster and faster until I reached the finish. I basically sprinted the last mile of the race— my Timex GPS Watch clocked my final mile at 7:09. Whoa, baby!

I crossed the finished line with Anne at 1:29:11, which was an average pace of 8:55 and a 28-second PR. Pretty sweet, right?! (Theodora finished just a little while after us. She’s tapering for the Marine Corps Marathon next weekend, so she didn’t want to totally kill her legs.) I’m really happy with my time and so glad I was able to run this race with friends. Having running buddies to chat with made it so much more enjoyable than running it alone.

After the race, I got my bag and immediately texted Katie so we could meet up. We found each other just a few minutes later. Hooray!

009 (640x480)

After the race, Katie, Theodora, Anne, Nicole, and I headed to brunch at Ireland’s Four Corners, a pub in Arlington, VA.

010 (640x480)

Bruch buffet? Sign me up!

011 (480x640)

Immediately after a race, I’m rarely hungry (usually I can’t stomach much more than water and maybe a piece of fruit), but about an hour or so later, I am absolutely starving, which is exactly what happened to me yesterday. By the time we walked from the finish line to pick up our bags, waited for the Metro, and traveled to the restaurant, I needed food in a bad way.

Brunch never tasted so good! I had an omelet with veggies, ham, bacon, and cheese, roasted potatoes with ketchup, baked and smoked salmon, and fresh fruit. And, boy, did it hit the spot!

014 (640x480)

After brunch, Katie and I said goodbye to Theodora, Anne, and Nicole and then took the Metro back her place. On our travels, we took a pit-stop at Pound the Hill for coffee. The mention of a “Pumpkin Spice Latte” on the sign out front totally caught my attention!

017 (480x640)

I ordered my favorite fall beverage: iced decaf pumpkin Americano. Mmm!

020 (640x480)

With coffee in hand, Katie and I wandered around Eastern Market for a little while. It was a gorgeous day, so we took advantage of the fall weather and enjoyed some time out and about in the sunshine.

022 (640x480)

029 (640x480)

Huge pillow mustache? Awesome.

026 (640x480)

Loved these mustache t-shirts! Haha!

Beyonce, is that you?!?

photo

I was so excited to see a mini Beyonce at the market! It was almost like seeing a celebrity! Ha! I seriously thought about buying her, but there was no way she’d fit on the plane with me. But if she were in Boston, I would have totally bought her for our backyard!

After a 10-mile race and walking around the city for a couple of hours, Katie and I were both in need of a shower and some downtime, so we headed back to her condo to revive ourselves. After a shower and some time sitting on the couch, we rallied and headed out to the W Hotel to have a drink on the rooftop.

002 (480x640)

003 (640x480)

006 (480x640)

007 (640x480)

008 (640x480)

009 (640x480)

After enjoying a glass of wine and some gorgeous views of the city, Katie and I were hungry, so we headed next door to the Occidental where we scored some seats outside and ordered some appetizers and more wine.

012 (640x480)

Katie and I shared a cheese plate (we picked Piedmont and Grayson cheeses) and an order of really garlicky Truffle fries.

013 (640x480)

We ended up hanging out and talking for awhile, so we each ordered a second glass of wine. We spent a lot of time reminiscing and chatting about life—from crazy adventures and ridiculousness in college to “mom wallets” and our goals for the future. Let’s just say, it was so, so, so nice to see Katie. I really missed her.

015 (640x480)

While we were relaxing at the Occidental, Katie’s boyfriend, Mike, called to let us know he was at The Queen Vic, so we took a cab there to meet him.

018 (480x640)

We hung out there for another couple of hours, so I ordered some French fries and another glass of wine.

022 (640x480)

Good times with Katie!

023 (640x480)

What a weekend! I had a blast, but I am so happy to be home (and not traveling) for the next 3 weeks!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food October 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Congratulations! What a great time! =)

luv what you do October 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Congratulations on the PR! I love rocking the old panhel Tshirts…I still have quite the collection. Looks like a really fun race. I love 10 milers!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Congrats on the PR! And I’m glad you had a good weekend with your friend. I’ve only been to DC once, just got a couple hours to see the city before I had to head out, but I wish I could go back, it’s gorgeous!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Congrats on the PR! Those mustache shirts are amazzzzing!

natalie @ will jog for food October 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Congrats on the race! Getting a PR is so much fun :)

I want all those french fries! YUMMY

Khushboo October 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Way to go on the PR!!

Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom October 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Congrats on finishing the race with a PR!! Even better that you got to do it with great friends!!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Great job on your PR lady! It sounds like you totally rocked it!

Lauren October 22, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Great job on the race! I’ve never done the Army 10 miler but I do the Cherry Blossom run every year in DC and it happens to be my favorite race. You should come back for that one in April! :)

Liz October 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Wow, you really had the total DC experience with drinks on the W Hotel Bar :)! I’m emabarrased to admit that I’ve lived in Arlington for 10 years and work downtown and still haven’t grabbed drinks there.

Glad that you were able to PR despite the early crowds — that’s actually a big reason why I stopped doing the Army 10 miler.

Kathy D. October 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Security confiscates cameras? Why?

Love the post and post-race photos.

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets October 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Woohoo! Good job on the race. That is awesome.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Congrats on the PR! Sounds like such a fun race. But if they take phones, does that mean they don’t allow music while you’re running? I’d find that really difficult.

Tina October 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Right, no headphones either.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Congrats missus!!! And totally randomly I really love your and Theodora’s headbands! Which brand are they?

Tina October 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm

They’re Sweaty Bands!

Alyssa October 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Congrats on the PR!

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Wow…sounds like such a fun weekend! Congrats on your race!!

Stefanie October 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Congratulations on the PR. That sounds like a great race.

mary @ minutespermile October 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm

The manager of Ireland’s Four Courts is in my running club! It’s a great running bar, actually — the server staff actually hosts weekly runs! So random/awesome you ended up there.

Stephanie October 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Congrats on the PR! It seems that you have not been following a ‘traditional training plan’ for running. Do you think crossfit had anything to do with your PR? Just wondering, thanks! :)

Tina October 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Yes, definitely! And also not running/exercising as much as I used to. I was basically draining my body, so it never had time to recover. Now that I’m taking more rest days, I’m getting stronger! :)

Stephanie October 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks, I recently just started crossfit and I was surprised with my pace in a 7-miler leg of a relay last weekend! I definitely put too much strain on my body following a ‘traditional’ training program, so I’m glad to see you following a similar program.

Ashley @ LibertyBelles October 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Congrats! Super exciting! And it looks like it was beautiful weather. It was definitely a gorgeous weekend in Philly!

Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Way to go on the PR! It always feels good to finish strong!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats October 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm

1. Congrats on your PR!! Sounds like you had a great race :) I knew you could do it!!
    2. I literally live half a block away from Ireland’s Four Corners and walk past it every. single. day. I am so mad I missed seeing you!! I totally would have been a nerdy fan asking for your autograph or something awkward. Maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t see you ;) haha!!

Tina October 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Haha!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Congrats on your PR! It looks like you had a blast.

Mandy October 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Congrats Tina! Loved this post for so many reasons. Marine corps was my first marathon, so I’m excited for your friend! Also, I used to live right near Ireland’s Four Courts (and now I live close to where you used to be in Southie), I love it!

Meghan@themeghamix October 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

CrossFit power! Congrats on the PR. :D

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles October 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm

That does sound like a blast! Congrats on the race.

The Kidless Kronicles

Sarah October 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Awesome job on the PR! Looks like you had a lot of fun this weekend. :)

Life's a Bowl October 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Congrats on a great race! We went downtown for a friend’s birthday yesterday and the bar was filled with runners! Couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful day :)

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm

French Fries + Wine…I LIKE IT! I like your PR even better, awesome job!

Gianna October 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Sounds like an amazing time, I miss DC! (went to school nearby at University of Maryland)
    Congrats on a great race – I love those that are fun and just fly by – not an easy feat when running 10 miles! and a PR is always sweet!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Congrats on your PR, Tina! And it looks like you had a great weekend! :)

Em October 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Congrats on the PR! Sounded like great weather conditions for a race. The view atop the W is amazing; I’ll have to put it on my list of to-go places the next time I’m in DC.

Kim October 22, 2012 at 8:19 pm

So cool . . . I was at the W Hotel this week. I had a drink up there on Friday afternoon! I love that place and I love the view!

Danica @ It's Progression October 22, 2012 at 9:35 pm

That mustache pillow is amazing! It’s huge! haha
    Congrats on the PR!!

Tina October 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Haha! It was ridiculous!

Jean October 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

That brunch looks SO GOOD. Congrats on your time!

Christina October 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Congrats on the PR! Thats amazing :).

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 23, 2012 at 12:20 am

That’s so awesome you PRed!! I did the same thing with my half-marathon a couple weeks ago – ran at a comfortable pace the whole time and for the last mile had way more energy than I expected so I practically sprinted. Looks like you had a blast!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 23, 2012 at 2:33 am

Congrats on the PR, you are amazing!

I would have loved to try and take mini-beyonce on a plane. I think it would be semi-worth it to buy an extra seat for that sexy lady to see the looks on everyone’s faces.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

Congrats on your PR! And that post-race brunch looks awesome. Anything involving eggs, potatoes, and smoked salmon is the perfect brunch to me! ;)

Tina October 23, 2012 at 7:58 am

Agreed! It was all of my favorites! :)

Nicole October 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

Congrats on the PR! Army 10 Miler is a race I’d really like to run.

Chloe October 23, 2012 at 11:58 am

I rarely drop remarks, however i did a few searching and wound
    up here Army 10-Miler Recap & Post-Race Adventures. And I do have a couple of questions for
    you if you usually do not mind. Is it just me or does it look like a few of the comments
    appear like they are written by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are writing at other online sites,
    I’d like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of every one of your communal sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

Amelia October 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Aww…Tina, congrats on the awesome PR! So happy for you! And in my awesome hometown. What a gorgeous day for a race! Would have loved to run into you! I wonder how often fans recognize you outside of blogger events? Is it weird? I guess it depends on the person, right? So glad the city really showed her best side this weekend and that you had a great time. :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Congrats on the PR!! That’s pretty amazing to go from not running a long distance in quite some time to PR-ing…goes to show it’s not always about logging in a ton of miles. It’s also about building strength!

Charlie October 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Congrats on the PR! fries and wine, my perfect post race indulgences!!