• A Very Happy Weekend (Part I)

October 1, 2012

Good morning! Happy Monday! I hope you guys had a fabulous weekend!

Friday

On Friday afternoon, Murphy and I drove to Fenway Park for the 1000 Pugs photo shoot.

We arrived right on time and then met the photographer, Amanda, who spent a solid 20 minutes photographing Murphy.

He was a natural.

And highly motivated by food.

Amanda had Murphy pose in 5 or 6 different places around Fenway Park. At one point, she got him to sit on a ledge at one of the ticket booths. It was adorable.

As you can see, Murphy ended up going with his blue Puppia harness. He wore it there and Amanda liked it, so we just stuck with it. Blue is a good color on him.

I chatted with Amanda during Murphy’s session—here are a few fun things I learned about the 1000 Pugs project:

• As of Friday, she’s taken 104,000 pug photos.
    • The idea for 1000 Pugs came about because her pug chewed up a copy of A Thousand Dogs. She thought it would be neat to have a book of a thousand pugs and so the idea was born.
    • Amanda’s upcoming 40th birthday eventually motivated her to take on this project.

After the photo shoot, Murphy and I stopped by Tasty Burger. (There’s a walk-up, dog-friendly window.) Mal mentioned Tasty Burger, oh, a half dozen times that morning, so I bought us a couple of burgers for dinner.

Friday night was pretty low-key. Mal and I ate our Tasty Burgers, caught up with our DVR, and went to bed early. It was awesome.

Saturday

On Saturday morning, the landscapers arrived bright and early to get a head start on our walkway and front lawn.

photo (560x750)

photo (1) (750x560)

photo (2) (750x560)

They made some serious progress! I can’t wait to see the final product later this week!

That morning, I made OMG Pancakes! for Mal and me for breakfast and then we headed to CrossFit. It was my first workout in nearly 2 weeks, so I was beyond psyched to be back. (FYI: Taking all that time off from intense exercise didn’t seem to make a difference. I’m still bleeding. Grrr.)

CrossFit781 (604x607)

Best quote ever:

Happinessisthehighestlevelofsuccess (602x602)

Our box is starting a Paleo Challenge today (Monday), so we did “Jackie” as a benchmark WOD, which we’ll repeat at the end of the Challenge to see how much we’ve improved.

Paleo Challenge Benchmark WOD:

“Jackie”

For time:
    1000 meter row
    50 Thrusters
    30 Pull-ups

I finished in 10:47 using the prescribed weight for the Thrusters (45 pounds) and a #2 band for the pull-ups, which took me forever to do. Basically, here’s how the workout went for me:

• I flew through the row and finished just under 4 minutes. I felt great.
    • I busted out 30 Thrusters and then broke the last 20 into two sets of 10. Mal came over and cheered me on, so I pushed through the best I could. My quads were BURNING!
    • I made in through the first 10 pull-ups without much problem. By the time I made it to 18-20, I was breaking them into sets of 2-3 reps. Yep, the pull-ups totally kicked my ass.

I was doing pretty well with kipping pull-ups before I started dealing with all of this colitis stuff, but, as you can see, I’ve definitely lost some strength. It’s a bummer, but I know I can get back there, and I’m ready to work for it again. After class on Saturday, I set a goal for myself to get 12 consecutive kipping pull-ups by November 30th, which is the end of the Paleo Challenge, so I’m motivated to get back to where I was before. Goals rule.

CrossFitFriends (604x605)

After the WOD, I headed home and drank some Pro Performance L-Glutamine Powder that GNC sent me. It’s great for post-workout recovery, but I learned from Practical Paleo that L-Glutamine also helps heal the epithelial cells that line the small intestine. Win-win, right? Heal intestines heal! I like that this product only includes L-Glutamine and not a zillion other funky ingredients. It’s a flavorless powder and blends easily with any liquid. I just mixed it with water. Do any of you guys use L-Glutamine? What do you think of it?

GNC_L-GlutaminePowder (597x598)

Ok, so let me tell you about this Paleo Challenge and why I decided to do it. Here are the rules from my box:

Paleo Challenge Rules

LENGTH: Monday, October 1, 2012 to Friday, November 30th (61 days in total)

For entry and a chance to win the first place prize, all participants MUST:

• pay $20 to enter
    • write a check for $30* made out to CrossFit 781
    • keep a food log and keep track of their points
    • make a goal that can be attained in two months
    • complete baseline workout “Jackie” before and after the challenge
    • take before measurements and weight

* At the end of the Challenge, if you have reached the goal that you wrote for yourself, your check will be ripped up. If you do not, your check will go toward the winners.

I bet you’re wondering why I’m doing this Paleo Challenge, especially since “I don’t do diets.” Well, there’s actually a bunch of reasons!

• I pretty much already eat a Paleo-esque diet. I like eating this way and it makes me feel great!
    • When our box did Paleo Challenges in the past, I always felt kind of left out, so I decided to join in on the fun this time.
    • I love chatting with others about food (eating well, recipes, blogs, cookbooks, etc.), bouncing around ideas and learning from each other.
    • I like that there’s a fitness and a goal element to this Challenge.
    • I recently changed my own diet to eat more Paleo-like, so I’d love to share my experience and offer advice to my fellow CrossFitters.
    • There’s a chance to win money and prizes!

I actually don’t think you’ll notice much of a difference here on CNC. I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, but now I’m more involved with what’s happening at my box, which makes me happy. I {heart} CrossFit 781.

Part II coming next! It was a great weekend!

P.S. Local dog owners: A reader just told me about this race and it sounds like a lot of fun, so I wanted to pass it along: 1st ANNUAL Newburyport “Howling Mile” – Owner and Dog Run!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free October 1, 2012 at 9:59 am

Looks like an awesome weekend! Jackie always kicks my butt – last time I did Jackie I took 6 mins off my time & cut my pull up assistance in half. The thrusters get me every time!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 1, 2012 at 10:05 am

Murphy is such a natural in front of the camera! ;)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 1, 2012 at 10:05 am

I can’t wait to see the photos from Murphy’s pug photo shoot! That is adorable!

Casey October 1, 2012 at 10:05 am

I was going to tell you about the L-Glutamine powder because I had heard it on the podcast too that it helps. I take the GNC glut-amine powder too! I love that it is tasteless and I can just put it with my water bottle. Hope your body gets to healing.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 1, 2012 at 10:06 am

I’m not a huge “diet” person myself but Paleo challenges with the box always end up being super fun! I’m sure you’ll get your pull ups back in no time! Jackie is not an easy wod to come back to after 2 weeks off! I’m sure you’ll kill your time next time you do it!

Lisa October 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

Did you check with your doc re: L-Glutamine? I was recommended it for gut healing after diagnosis (and, honestly, almost death) from two digestive diseases. Anyway, it really caused a number of health problems which resulted in some liver issues (which were pretty severe). I’d check with your doc, first.

Tina October 1, 2012 at 10:14 am

I have an appointment on Wednesday, so I’ll ask him then!

Rachel F October 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

Don’t get too caught up in the fact that you’re still bleeding. Think of healing in the same way you approached weight loss in the past. Fast, immediate results aren’t realistic. As long as you’re approaching your health from a bunch of fronts with the common goal of healing, you’ll get better.

Tina October 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thank you. I’m trying to be patient. I feel like I am SO close to being totally well again!

Brianne October 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

Why do you eat so much fiber? Have you tried white rice or white potatoes?

laura October 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm

@Brianne: I agree – I really feel that if you did low-residue for a while, it may really help you. You can still eat stuff like eggs, chicken, canned vegetables – just none of the raw veggies you eat a lot of. They can’t be good, I know!

laura October 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

@laura: In addition, I heard on a radio show once about l-glutamine and took it in pill form for a while. It didn’t do anything. I asked my doctor and he said that my inflammation (and I’m sure yours, too – you have left-sided, yes?) is too far down the colon to do any good. Sorry.

Cata October 1, 2012 at 10:21 am

Please let us know about your measurement changes at the end of the challenge, I am wondering if I should do it (without winning money, since I am from Costa Rica,bummer, haha).
    Hope you feel better and get some good advice from the doctor this wednesday!

Life's a Bowl October 1, 2012 at 10:21 am

Murphy’s photo shoot looks adorable- the pictures are going to be priceless!!!

P.S. Love the pavers- simple touch that makes such a difference! I remember when we moved in high school my mom gutted the whole house [hadn't had a facelift since it was built in the '70's probably] and added pavers… They look beautiful :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love that quote on happiness! I hope you can share some of the pug shots!

Corrie Anne October 1, 2012 at 10:30 am

Awwa! Murphy’s little pug shoot is adorable. i would join the challenge for the same reasons!! I would want to be in on it! :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football October 1, 2012 at 10:30 am

Some of the protein powder I use has L-Glutamine in it but I’ve never bought powder specifically for that ingredient. I think there may be a cross-fit area in the back of my gym. I was in a cardio class and saw some guys in an unfinished back section doing chin-ups on a bar.

LOVE the brick walkway. It looks incredible!

Laura @ RunningJunkie123 October 1, 2012 at 10:33 am

So sorry to hear that you’re still having issues. That really sucks and I can’t imagine trying to get a good workout in with stomach issues:-/

Good luck on your goals though! They are always GREAT motivators.

Olivia October 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

I know you said that you have not lost any weight but you definitely look smaller! How many inches have you lost? I remember you shared your measurments when you did the lose the dough challenge a while back, how do they compare?

jb October 4, 2012 at 6:43 am

@Olivia: am i the only one that finds these “you look smaller” / “what are your measurements?” comments scary and borderline offensive? girl has COLITIS, yo.

there’s a lesson to be learned here about being healthy, not about being slim.

sheena October 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

a number of things:

1. i thoroughly enjoy your blog. i read a lot of health/fitness blogs, but i always save yours to read last (cause it’s the best).
    2. murphy is hilariously adorable.
    3. i started crossfit in june and have loved it from day one!
    4. i am starting a paleo challenge today too! i haven’t been seeing the results i thought i would from crossfit and finally admitted it’s because i’m not eating like i should (i knew this all along, but ice cream is just SO good).
    5. i’m excited we are doing this challenge at the same time. i’m sure reading your updates will help keep me motivated and hopefully i’ll get some new recipes ideas too!
    6. thanks for being awesome.

Tina October 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

Your comment totally made my day. THANK YOU!

So glad you tried CrossFit! :)

Rachel October 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

aww I can’t wait to see pictures of Murphy’s photo shoot haha it sounds adorable

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

How fun having a doggie photo shoot! Super cute.

LOVE the new path!!!

Callie October 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

Didn’t you just do a Crossfit WOD a week ago at Fitbloggin’?? And also a workout a few days ago that included 100 squats & pushups……I’m not sure what you mean when you say you took 2 weeks off from exercise. 2 days maybe?

Tina October 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

Yep, I did, but I don’t really consider those super intense workouts. A real CrossFit class, however, is usually pretty intense!

Sara October 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm

But perhaps it’s time to consider the fact that your body DOES consider them intense. A rest week is recommended by even the fittest of people every now and then. Why not at least try true rest and see if it works?

Amber October 1, 2012 at 10:59 am

That pug photo shoot looked amazing, can’t wait to see some of the final pictures. Good luck with your Paleo challenge, although I’m sure you won’t need it! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ok you have GOT to post the picture of Murphy posing on the red thingymabob. So cute.
    Love the walkway!!

Lauren October 1, 2012 at 11:28 am

Murphy is so cute – I know the pictures around Fenway will be awesome! Please share the link when the photographer posts the pictures!

Allie October 1, 2012 at 11:28 am

OH MY GOD!! you workout with Kim Vo?!! Ahhhhh I went to college with her and she was actually my brother’s girlfriend’s roommate throughout college and a year after. I love that girl and your blog so I’m totally loving today! Holy crap that’s crazy! :)

Tina October 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yep! I {heart} Kim! :)

Maureen @ Organically Mo October 1, 2012 at 11:53 am

Can’t wait to see more Murphy pics! I love challenges…it really helps keep me in check!

Ed October 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Heheh Murphy looks like such a star!

Amanda Jewell October 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

After a week of celebrating my birthday (with a little too much indulging on sweets and drinks), I’m ready for some clean eating! What do you think of hosting an “online paleo challenge” for your readers? I’d love to do this challenge along with you and would really appreciate a supportive network!

P.s. My paleo lunch for tomorrow is food from a paleo food truck! check out this menu!! (http://notsofastfoodtruck.com/menu/)

Tina October 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’d be happy to blog about the “rules” of the Challenge if you want to do it too! :)

Amanda Jewell October 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

@Tina:

That would be great! Thanks Tina!! :-)

mary @ minutespermile October 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

good luck with the Paleo challenge! the only food competition i ever entered was a pizza eating contest, in London. i won. :)

Colleen October 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm

T- Seriously, Murphy is so perfect. He’s totally a pug model. miss you guys! hopefully see you this week.

Tina October 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I MISS YOU! And I have goodies for you! :)

Laura @ She Eats Well October 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I think the Paleo challenge sounds interesting. It’s great to log in your daily meals and I think it makes us all wayyy more aware of what we put in our bodies. Good luck!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Its aggravating when you take a good amount of rest time to get better, and still feel crappy- but I’m sure if you stick to the right eating pan (which the Paleo challenge will help with) and do consistent workouts like you’ve been doing, you’ll get better. Pugs are too cute, can’t wait to see how the pictures turn out!

Lauren October 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Tina! I’m so glad you had a great weekend but so sad to hear you are still not feeling so hot. Goodness, I’m always thinking about you girl. It WILL get better!!! :)

Jennifer October 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hi Tina,

I was wondering if you use a band when you do your kipping pull-ups? We have grey, green, blue and red bands at my box. Grey being the easiest, red the hardest. I use green right now for my pull ups. Still trying to learn how to kip. I want to move to blue, but I’m a little nervous to because sometimes the exercises are so tuff I don’t know that I could finish with a blue band. I can get about 7 pull-ups in a row with blue. Do you have any recommendations on how I can build up my indurance or strength to switch to blue?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

Tina October 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Yep, I do! Either the #1 or the #2 band depending on the workout.

Jennifer October 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm

@Tina:
    Thanks for your response. So, maybe I should try the “harder” band when I don’t have to do as many pull-ups, and stick with the easier band when I have to do 50, like I did today with clusters:)

Tina October 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm

That’s what I do. Sometimes, I’ll take two different size bands, so if I need more assistance, I can switch during the WOD.

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Love that quote…so true! I am naturally a happy, positive person, but sometimes I really (really) have to fight to feel that way and stay in a good place. P.S. I don’t normally like pet photos on blogs too much, but I’m totally hooked on Murphy! Too cute.

Irene October 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hmmm, it seems like this flare is hanging on longer than your previous flares. I’m no doctor, but to me that would make me wonder if your dietary changes are helping or hurting. I know you were told a lot of stuff about how paleo-esque eating would help you out in the books you’ve read and the seminar you went to, in my opinion, unless they cited large-scale peer reviewed studies, I wouldn’t put much faith in what you heard. It is one thing to try something out and just see if it works (and good for you for trying), but another to ignore the evidence your own body is presenting you with. Based on what you’ve been sharing on the blog, this is really not working for you, so I’m really curious why you are going more intense with it rather than going back to what worked for you before (less fiber and protein, if I remember correctly)?

Maria October 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

My box is doing a paleo challenge here too! We’re having a paleo thanksgiving (Canadian thanksgiving is this coming weekend) and it includes a potluck, cooking classes, and more!

Kelsey October 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Your walkway looks great! We have to replace our front stairs and we’re dreading it. Our poor mailman.

Love the idea of the pug book! Murphy looks adorable! I wish they’d do a cockapoo book! :)

Tina October 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm

That would be a cute book! :) I can’t wait to see the final product of the pug book. Of course, I have to buy one!

AJ October 1, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Seriously. Rest your body. Not “sorta, kind of, maybe” rest your body. I mean just relax a bit on the couch, go for a short walk, and just rest. Trust me, no one on here is one bit surprised that you are still flaring. Maybe it is time to get a hobby outside of crossfit?

guntur October 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

It’s really a great weekend.

Hannah October 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I was unaware of the intestinal aid, but this is off of bodybuilding.com and is a simple explanation of why glutamine is important (and why I use it for training):

“The body can lose up to 50% of its glutamine levels during training, and if your immune system or other parts of your body become glutamine-deficient, the muscles’ glutamine stores are first to be robbed, creating the risk for catabolism. [Take glutamine to] Help your body progress, not go backwards.”

Glutamine FTW!

Tina October 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Interesting! Thank you!

Hillary October 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

You’re still a stud, girl. You will totally get those pull-ups back.

What size do you wear in that Reebok tank? I want one!

Also, just curious have you lost weight with the diet adjustments? You are looking FIT FIT FIT :)

Tina October 2, 2012 at 6:16 am

I’m an XS in Reebok gear! :)

Kristy October 2, 2012 at 1:32 am

Please share what your doctor has to say about L-Glutamine Powder because it looks like something I would like to buy, however with the mixed messages of other comments I feel like more research may be necessary before I buy it. Thank you! :~)

Rebecca October 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Have you considered getting a colonoscopy to figure out what’s going on with your colitis? I have IBS and I’m 31 and had one recently. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are too young for one.

Tina October 2, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’m praying my new doctor suggests one!

Jen October 2, 2012 at 7:49 am

I’m surprised you would be eating more Paleo with Colitis actually…meat can be difficult to digest and so can a lot of vegetables. I really wish you the best but hope you are able to just stop one day, tune out everyone else, everything else, all the books, blogs, diets, people, etc etc etc….and just listen to what foods make you feel good – physically, mentally and spiritually.

Tina October 2, 2012 at 7:55 am

I’m trying! :)

Missy October 2, 2012 at 11:07 am

I can’t wait to see how Murphy’s pictures turn out! He is so cute, I am sure he loved getting his picture taken!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 2, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Those pictures of him are so adorable, I can’t wait to see the finalized images!!