• A Comfy and Cozy Friday Night

October 20, 2012

Yesterday afternoon, I took Murphy to the dog park to stretch his little pug legs. On the drive there, it started to rain, but I didn’t want to let down my favorite dog friend, so I we toughed it out.

Murphy isn’t a huge fan of the rain, but he ended up having a blast at the park. He ran around like a crazy animal with a puppy bulldog and then did some “elephant butt” with a Black Lab. My dog is ridiculous sometimes. Haha! Good times at the park!

Snack

After the park, I was hungry and a CrossFit workout was in my near future, so I snacked on a sliced banana with sunflower butter.

002 (640x480)

Workout

Last night’s CrossFit class was all about legs (it was called “T.G.I.Legsday”), which probably wasn’t the best workout before a 10-mile race, but I didn’t go crazy with the weight, and I’m actually feeling pretty good this morning—not too sore.

photo (478x640)

For the Strength part of the workout, I started with 95 pounds for the Snatch Grip (wide grip) Dead Lifts and worked my way up to 135 pounds for 5 sets of 5 reps (5 X 5). My legs felt fine during them, but I struggled with the wide grip. After 3 or 4 reps, I’d need to stop and re-grip because the bar was starting to slip out of my hands. Grip work is the worst (ok, it’s just boring and not very fun), but, man, I’m starting to realize how important it is for CrossFit. My grip is getting stronger (I notice on things like kipping pull-ups), but I definitely have a ways to go!

The WOD was named “Punishment” and, not surprisingly, it smoked me. I was huffing and puffing and my quads were screaming for mercy. Holy goodness! I did Level 2 for this WOD, so I used 55 pounds for the Power Cleans and Front Squats and a 25-pound plate for the Walking Overhead Lunges. I ended up making it to 30 Power Cleans and Front Squats before I dropped the bar and did two Tuck Jump Burpees as a penalty. I broke the final 20 reps into 11 reps (+ 2 Tuck Jump Burpees) and then 9 reps. Wow, they were tough. I stopped twice during the Overhead Walking Lunges (at 25 reps and 40 reps), so I did a total of 8 Tuck Jumps as a penalty for this workout. It was definitely “punishment” for my quads!

After CrossFit, I showered up and then changed into sweats for the night. So comfy and so cozy!

033 (480x640)

As you know, I’m working with Reebok—thanks to my friends at Fitfluential—and they sent me some gear from their Pink Ribbon Collection to try out. October is breast cancer awareness month, and Reebok is a proud sponsor of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and they’ll donate more than $500,000 this year to help combat breast cancer. I love it when companies donate to such great causes. It makes me want to support them even more.

The two items that Reebok sent me this month are the Pink Ribbon Pant and Pink Ribbon 1/4 Zip Top, and I am totally in love with them, especially the pants. How adorable are the pink details?!

007 (640x480)

I love that the wide waistband and drawstring tie are both sporty and feminine—the perfect combo for cute gear in my opinion!

004 (640x480)

And the inside of these pants is so soft and so fleece-y. Love, love, love! They’re easily the most comfortable pair of sweatpants I own. For reals.

010 (640x480)

Since I work from home, I often opt for comfy clothes—typically jeans or workout gear—so these babies will definitely become part of my regular rotation. And, of course, they’re perfect for lounging at home on a Friday night.

017 (480x640)

Dinner

Mal and I planned to get take-out for dinner, so we hopped in the car and drove to Wahlburgers. The menu looked mighty delicious and some of our friends said they really liked the food, so we were excited to give it a try.

027 (640x480)

Wahlburgers was bumpin’ on a Friday night, but we didn’t wait long for our food.

025 (640x480)

We opted for the counter service, so just a few minutes later, our buzzer flashed to let us know our food was ready.

026 (480x640)

I ordered the specialty burger of the day, which was a chicken patty with barbeque sauce, blue cheese crumbles, lettuce, and tomato. Mal went with the Thanksgiving burger, which was a turkey burger with stuffing, butternut squash, and cranberry sauce.

023 (640x480)

Before we even left Wahlburgers to drive home, Mal and I broke into the French fries and Sweet Potato Tots. We were starving after CrossFit!

022 (640x480)

The French fries weren’t very good, but the Sweet Potato Tots were yummy!

024 (640x480)

At home, we opened a bottle of white wine, dove into our burgers, and then started our scary movie. (Mal really liked his burger, but mine was just okay. They forgot the blue cheese crumbles, so it was just a chicken patty with barbeque sauce, lettuce, and tomato, which wasn’t very exciting and definitely not worth $8. Oh, well. I still ate it.)

029 (640x480)

Mal and I ended up going with Cabin In the Woods for our movie night. (Thanks for all of your suggestions!)

030 (640x480)

Cabin in the Woods was SCARY!!!!!

035 (640x480)

(Haha! I love this photo! I live with two freaks.)

Actually, Cabin in the Woods wasn’t all that scary. It was gruesome at times, but it didn’t make me jump or anything like that. It was more of a psychological thriller with some funny/Shaun of the Dead-type humor in it. I actually laughed out loud a bunch of times! It was a great movie, and I liked it a lot. On the scary scale (The Ring being super scary at a 10), I’d give Cabin in the Woods a 5.

Once the movie ended, I headed straight to bed since I needed to be awake bright and early this morning to catch my flight to Washington, DC.

031 (640x480)

What’s your favorite way to spend a night at home?

Mine is sweatpants + take-out + wine + movie + my favorite guys.

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 20, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Looks like a perfect low-key Friday night! When I’m in the mood to lounge, I’m all about the sweatpants/Lulu’s, an easy dinner (like tossing something in the oven to bake), plus dark chocolate and/or wine. ;) I actually have a TV show to catch up on, so a low-key evening sounds pretty appealing right now.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Courtney from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life said those sweatpants were the comfiest she’s ever owned too! They must be pretty darn comfy! My favorite way to spend an evening at home is pretty much the same… An easy meal or take out, a good movie or show, and my hubby and pups by my side. A little dessert in there is always a plus too!

Tina October 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm

They are! Love them! :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Love those sweatpants! They look super comfortable!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Omg I LOVE tater tots, so sweet potato tots sound so good! Haha I’d go there just for those!

Caroline @ Crunchy Carrottop October 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Sweats are the MOST comfy things ever! (I live in them in the winter lol). My favorite way to spend a low-key friday night is to cook dinner with my bf and then get all comfy on the couch and watch Doctor Who.

Ellie October 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Your food sounds sooo delicious! Oh man. Makes me excited to have thanksgiving turkey haha. And those reebok pants look comfy indeed! Reebok seems to ne making a really great comeback ~

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love those kind of nights…just low-key hanging with the family. Love the reebok gear and those little sweet potato poppers look so good!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Have a safe trip! Love those sweat pants! They look so comfy! My favorite pair ever is a pair of boys gray sweatpants from Target. They were so cheap when I got them and I’ve had them forever! Not pretty but perfect lounging around at home pants!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m not a fan of scary movies, even if they aren’t that scary…yuck! And I’m seriously all about the workout clothes and sweats. If I’m not going anywhere for the day, after I shower I immediately put them on. If I am going somewhere, I’m in them until I have to leave and back in them as soon as I get home. Jeans aren’t really even comfy enough if I’m going to lounge. ;)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) October 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Good food, a veggie burger, homemade pizza or something pumpkin based, curled up on the sofa with a scary movie! A cosy blanket is a must! (especially at the moment it’s gotten so cold all of sudden in Ireland!)

Kristen Exline October 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Ugh, I am kinda disappointed you went with Cabin In The Woods. I was super excited to see this movie when it came out, but, like I commented on your last post regarding scary movies – I don’t like serial killer movies! I don’t like really gross, bloody images… I love a good, well done, ghost movie! (Ring being up there on the scary scale). So I am telling you, take it from me, a connoisseur of scary movies – You need to see Insidious!!! Ok, I’m done with my rant :)

Em @ Yep. I Ate That. October 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’m with you all the way — sweats, pizza, wine, friends and a movie!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

For a night in, I’m all about easy food or take out, and catching up in TV shows with the boyfriend. Can’t beat it!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I am always so frustrated when I get home and realize that a restaurant messed up my order. I swear, anytime I order something with bacon, the bacon is left off. And like you said, you paid $8 for that thing … you’d like to get what you paid for!!

Amber October 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

My favorite way to spend a night at home is exactly the same as yours… the only way to make it better is a batch of homemade almond flour cookies. :)

Carrie October 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm

you forgot to link to the elephant butt video! ;)

Tina October 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I know, sorry! If you search “elephant butt” on CNC, it’ll pop right up! It’s definitely worth watching! :)

Allison@commitcomplete October 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm

My favorite way to spend a night at home is on the couch watching T.V. with wine and/or tea and/or boyfriend.

P.S. I made your apple crisp light for dessert last night. So good! Thanks for a great recipe.

Tina October 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Yay! So glad you liked it! :)

Khushboo October 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Good dessert has to be involved :)

Tina October 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Yesssss! :)

Kristen @ Happy Running Mama October 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I have been desperately wanting a new pair of comfy pants, as they are typically called in my house. I have many pairs of “yoga” pants already and those get plenty of wear, although almost never for practicing yoga. What I don’t have is any pairs of pants that are looser than yoga pants…more of a fleece/sweatpant style but still cute.

Those Reebok pants are so cute on you that I’ll have to go out and give them a try!

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero October 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Oh my goodness, Murphy’s scary face photo might be the best thing ever. That is exactly what I look like during scary movies. Hence why I don’t watch them.
    I also love the pink Reebok sweats. so cute!

mary @ minutes per mile October 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm

you’re in my city! hope you have a good time in DC — if you need any restaurant suggestions, i’m full of them :)

Tina October 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Thank you!!! :)

Sarah October 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

How did you get involved with working with Reebok???

Tina October 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Through Fitfluential! :)

Marie October 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Hey Tina. You got me started on crossfit about 6 weeks ago. And I’m loving it. Did my first ever level 2 workout last session!!! So exciting. I was buzzing (and sore and tired) all day!!!
    M

Tina October 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Woohoo! Nice job!! :)

Carli October 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I don’t do tons outside of the home being an old lady and all. But I have gym in my basement so a workout, home cooked dinner and some Food Network is a good night. Next week I might give you a different answer.

elizabeth | notes, quotes & anecdotes October 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

hahaha! i can’t get over the picture of murphy “screaming” at the scary movie. such a fitting moment caught on camera :)

Meghan October 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I thought you were going to scale back the exercise to help with your digestive/stress issues? I hardly think doing a crossfit workout (which was still an intense workout despite the fact that you “didn’t go crazy with the weight”) the day before a 10-mile race is the best for the health problems you’ve had/still have.

Tina October 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

The race is tomorrow! :)

Angela October 21, 2012 at 8:14 am

@Meghan: @Tina: I think you have been doing great, for whatever my opinion is worth. You scaled back a bit (4x per week) and then adjust with more or less based on how you feel.

Gaye October 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Great pic of Mal and Murph, but the hat says it all!

Lindsay October 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Sounds like the Friday night I’m planning for this week, as our weekend was CRAZY and I can’t believe its back to work already tomorrow! Our Friday nights are cozy, we save Saturday for going out on the town. I love the movie recommendation though, I hate scary movies but always feel the need to do at least 1 in the month of Halloween! BOO!

Tiff October 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m the same way. I’d much rather be in my cozies, on the couch, cuddled up with my favorite person than be in a loud bar or restaurant. It’s even better with a little wine!!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I have a hard time staying in doors when I live in such a beautiful and warm place. However, I love cozy nights at home with a great movie or House md and just relaxing. That is normally after a whip up a masterpiece in my kitchen.

Valerie October 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Favorite night in activity = Jamas + wine + movie + cuddles with my guys + take out. Minus the wine and take out, that’s our mellow Sunday. Soup bubbling on the stove, football on tv, sweats, cute French Bulldog at my feet, handsome husband by my side… doesn’t get much better… :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Takeout and a movie sounds pretty perfect to me! Although I think I’d opt for a comedy or chick flick. ;)

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats October 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

OMG I am loving the pics of Murphy today :) I can’t decide if I like the one of him sleeping on your lap better or the one of him and Mal. So precious!

Kelly@BalancedDaily October 22, 2012 at 11:01 am

Sounds great. The best nights in definitely include sweatpants and wine- I usually add ice cream/froyo to that combo as well. A tuck jump burpee? Are You kidding me? Burpees are hard enough without adding another element to them, wow. You go girl!