• 8-Minute Plank Workout

October 24, 2012

Hello, hello! I hope you’re having a wonderful Wednesday!  :mrgreen:

Breakfast

I started my day with a very pumpkin-y breakfast: Sweet Breakfast Scramble in a jar (SBSIAJ) with canned pumpkin, TJ’s Pumpkin Butter, and an extra scoop of Teddie Peanut Butter in the mix. The combo of pumpkin butter + peanut butter was de-lic-ious!

I also drank a glass of iced pumpkin spice Dandy Blend with almond milk.

After breakfast, I got my plank on! Here’s the first workout of the Plank Challenge!

8-minute_Plank_Workout_

If you’re unfamiliar with any of the exercises listed above, here are some links to demonstrate each of them:

Once I went through all of the exercises, I repeated them from the beginning. It took me about 8 minutes to go through all of the exercises twice (approximately 4 minutes each round). For the Up/Down Planks, I stayed on one side (right arm) for the first 10 reps and then switched to the other side for the next set of 10 after the Straight Arm Plank. The video shows the woman alternating arms on the Up/Down Planks, but I find it easier to count reps when I stick to the same side. Feel free to do two sets of alternating arms if you prefer!

You probably noticed that I incorporated some rest intervals into this workout… let’s just say it’s a tough one! I needed to rest a couple of times to catch my breath. Plank exercises are hard! Be sure to rest as often as you need to during this workout.

Lunch

I tried something new for lunch today: Trader Joe’s salmon burgers—and I liked them a lot! They’re frozen patties, but when I cooked them up, they seemed quite fresh and not all weird and rubbery like some frozen fish.

While they cooked (I pan-fried them), I sprinkled some “seafood magic” on top of them. (I think this random packet is from Fitbloggin’?) It was a blend of salt, spices, dehydrated garlic and onion, and paprika. It was tasty on the salmon burgers.

I added the salmon burgers to a bed of spinach and peas and topped everything with a drizzle of truffle oil.

On the side, I had an orange since vitamin C helps boost iron absorption!

Health News & Views

It’s that time of year again for me: I like to call it “workout no-man’s-land.” The sunny summer weather is long gone, but my New Year’s motivation hasn’t kicked in yet. I lose my exercise mojo and end up skipping a number of my regularly scheduled workouts. If I don’t get my butt in gear, I’ll celebrate the holidays a few pounds heavier, so instead of slacking on my workouts, I use a number of strategies to overcome my declining motivation. Use them from when you’re feeling particularly ho-hum about exercise, whether you are trying to fit in a workout in the morning, after work, or on the weekend.

Ditch the Exercise Excuses Any Day of the Week

What’s your #1 excuse for skipping a workout?

P.S. Check out my Tuscan Chicken Dip over on the Pretzel Crisps blog!

Delia October 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Plank workout was killer after my run today. Going to do at least a 30-1 min. plank a day for the month!

kris October 24, 2012 at 10:29 pm

those up/downs were killer!! great workout!

luv what you do October 24, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I am doing my first timed plank tomorrow. Can’t wait to give this workout a try!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings October 24, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I did a few plank workouts today and I was shaking! Your workout looks like a great one, thanks for sharing it with us!

Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy October 24, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that killer workout!

Danica @ It's Progression October 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

excited to try that plank workout! I do planks a few days a week and I love how strong they make me feel–that sounds super cheesy, but it’s true!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

As I’m a little late to the party today because of work and did my workout earlier this morning, I’m definitely going to try the plank workout tomorrow. I can’t wait! :)

elle | nutritionella October 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Not enough sleep! I’m much more likely to skip out on workouts if I get less than 6-7 hrs, though 8+ is ideal.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 25, 2012 at 8:10 am

I actually kind of love plank exercises, I think I’m gonna give that one a try! Those salmon burgers from TJ’s are surprisingly good, I just finished up a box the other day!

Lily October 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

I must say I did last night and it was awful but awesome!

Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome October 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

I did this plank workout today after my fitmixer bootcamp workout which was all burpees, oblique planks, push-ups and jump squats. Phew! Shoulders and wrists are on fire!

purelytwins October 25, 2012 at 9:48 am

we need to get more Dandy Blend love that stuff! yay for 8 minute plank workout looks great, we created one a few weeks ago they are such a great full body workout!!! we love our planks :) We have seen those salmon burgers in TJ before but never tried them, good to know that they are tasty!!

Shannon October 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

Crazy workout!! Much harder for me than I thought it would be (guess my core is a little weak!) – loving the plank challenge :) – I got my bf, sister, and her bf doing it with me too!!

Dana October 25, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Did this last night while watching tv (with some modifications for my bum shoulder) and it killed! I am feeling some “new” ab muscles today! Can’t wait for the next one.

Tina October 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Haha! That’s awesome! :)

Tori October 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Tried this plank workout last night and my abs are screaming this morning!

Mo October 25, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Question for you – did cooking up those salmon burgers stink up the house at all? That’s the only reason I hate cooking fish (unless of course, I can grill it outside) – and even tho I’m here in Wisconsin where the winters are harsh – I grill during winter all the time!

Tina October 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I didn’t notice that they did. The seasoning was pretty strong though.

Sandee October 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Those up/downs were tougher than they looked. And my left side was weaker so I couldn’t finish them all on my left. Hmm. I met Paul Prudhomme years ago on a plane . Very nice guy and he was passing out samples of his spices.

Alexis @ Hummusapien October 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I did your plank workout and it was AWESOME! My abs are super sore. I can’t wait to do it again once this soreness goes away! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Smp April 16, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Great workout! I can only do 8 minute planks at one time but with consistency I’m sure that will improve. nice diet tips as well! Cheers

AbMachines July 31, 2013 at 7:55 am

Different sorts of planks are the best sorts of abdominal exercises, in my point of view. They are not so tiring, safe and very effective. Personally, my favorite ones are the various side planks. Great workout! I’ve just finished it. Thank you!