Last night was all about veggie prep for the upcoming week. I cut up raw veggies (carrots, cucumbers, and celery) and then roasted and sautéed a bunch (beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and zucchini), so I have them ready to go whenever I need them.
Reduced broccoli is great roasted—once you cook it, you won’t even know it was once flimsy!
Veggie roasting party!
Last night’s dinner was all about turkey burgers with lots of veggies inside.
- 1.3 pounds(20.8g) ground turkey
- 1/4 cup grated zucchini, water pressed from it (tip: use paper towels to remove moisture)
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a nonstick skillet, sauté mushrooms, onion, and garlic in olive oil until softened. Remove pan from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, egg, almond flour, and mushroom-onion mixture. Form into 5 patties.
- Preheat broiler. Place burgers on an aluminum foil-lined sheet, and broil, turning once, until browned on both sides and temperature registers at 165 degrees (about 10-12 minutes).
With my burger, I had roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and beets on the side.
Mal and I ate dinner on the couch with Murphy in between us. He’s so pushy when it comes to food. Pushy pug.
So, I forgot to tell you guys about my first WOD back at CrossFit and I have some exciting news to share!
Let me start off by saying I felt SO good at Friday’s workout. I thought I’d feel weak and just plain old exhausted after being away for nearly 3 weeks, but I felt awesome, which says something for rest days, right? I was definitely well-rested and it showed!
Work up to a 1 Rep Max
5 Clean Grip Deadlifts
5 Squat Cleans
Rx: 65% of 1RM Clean; Same weight used for Dead Lifts
For the strength part of the workout, I worked my way up to 235 pounds for my 1RM, and I honestly could have kept going! Whoa, where did that strength come from?!?
For the WOD, I used 75 pounds, which ended up being the perfect weight. At first, I thought I went too light—Every Minute On the Minute (EMOM) we did 5 Clean Grip Deadlifts + 5 Squat Cleans—but by the 6th and 7th intervals, I was really starting to feel it. Holy quads on those Squat Cleans! I loved it! Oh my gosh, it was so great to be back at CrossFit!
And my exciting CrossFit news: My monthly dues are being covered until the end of the year through a campaign with Reebok and Fitfluential! How cool is that!?! Obviously, I am pumped! THANK YOU, Reebok and Fitfluential. You guys rule!
- Sunday: Off
- Monday: 2-mile power walk
- Tuesday: 3 miles
- Wednesday: CrossFit
- Thursday: Off
- Friday: Off
- Saturday: Off
Question of the Day
Do you prep for the week on Sundays (or in this case Monday)? What does your weekly prep include?