• One-Track (Pug) Mind

September 19, 2012

Murphy has a one-track mind.

Yesterday afternoon, Mal brought home a new bag of dog food.

Obviously, Murphy was excited.

And, of course, he didn’t want to miss a thing as Mal poured it into the storage bin.

He also made sure to eat all of the dropped pieces.

No food goes to waste in our house!

Once Murphy’s food was put away, he became obsessed with the empty bag—sniffing, whining, and excited-panicking about it—so Mal showed him there was nothing left inside.

But, the pug didn’t believe him, and Mal eventually threw away the bag.

Ten minutes later, I heard Murphy whining in the back room where we keep the recycling (and lawn mower and beer fridge… it’s quite the catch-all room). He was still obsessing about the dog food bag.

Murphy gave it a rest for a little while, but I found him, later in the evening, still staring at the recycling bin.

He has a one-track (pug) mind.

Poor Murphy. His life is so hard.

Dinner

Mmm… last night’s dinner… soooo delicious. I made Paleo Pad Thai again and added sautéed mushrooms to the mix this time. It was so frickin’ good.

After dinner, I satisfied my sweet tooth with a Godiva chocolate from Jen’s bridal shower favors.

Health News & Views

I can’t believe it’s already mid-September! It seems like I was just barbecuing and celebrating the 4th of July. The summer months passed way too quickly for me, so I missed out on a number of my favorite warm weather activities, including enjoying ice cream at my favorite shop, playing mini golf, and even picking out fresh produce from my local farmers’ market. Thankfully, summer doesn’t technically end until Friday, September 21, so I still have a little time left to do these things.

The fall will likely whiz by too, but I don’t want to have a single regret about missing autumn activities, so I created a Fall Bucket List to keep me healthy, happy, and ensure that I fully enjoy everything the season has to offer.

5 Healthy Activities for Your Fall Bucket List

P.S. UC folks: Doctors’ don’t always know best: Student claims he cured debilitating bowel disease taking up smoking. Crazy, right? This disease makes perfect sense. Maybe I should start ripping butts? Totally kidding!

Christine (The Raw Project) September 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Adorable pics of Murphy, he’s so cute! Mine are obsessed with food too!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

hahaha! I just LOVE how Murphy is licking his little pug lips while Mal is pouring the food into the container. And what a funny little monster sitting out there hoping for more!!

Lynn Soon September 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Hilarious!!! I was laughing the whole time, my dog Cooper is pretty crazy about his food, too. Love it.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I really need to try this paleo pad tai, it looks so good! And Murphy is hilarious, he smells that food in the recycle!

Matt H September 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

That dog is not very bright.

Tina September 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Haha!

Angela September 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

@Tina: Awww your dog is very bright in his own doggy way that we humans will never understand:)

Kel September 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I just laughed out loud in a meeting at Murphy.

Yes, I am reading your blog in a meeting. ;)

Tina September 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Haha! That’s awesome!

Mary September 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Your Murphy stories crack me up.

I love the pictures of him looking inside the bag. You can almost hear him thinking, “There must be food inside. I KNOW there is, why can’t I see it?”

Kerry @ Totes My Oats September 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Murphy is too funny! My dog does the same thing. Love your Fall bucket list! I definitely want to go apple picking this year and I always love to roast my pumpkin seeds after carving them, of course!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food September 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Oh my goodness! I have been looking at getting a puppy for months now! We are getting ready to move and we want to get that done first…. but I am soooo ready for a dog!! =)

Brandi September 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Hey Tina!
    Is there a reason why you switched from Chicken Soup dog food to TOTW? We feed our dog TOTW too but she just recently started getting tired of it. It’s a great dog food so we scaled back on the quantity and started mixing in raw dog food with it. She loves the new mix. I’m just hoping we don’t have to switch to another brand anytime soon.
    Thanks!

Tina September 19, 2012 at 5:17 pm

There was a salmonella scare a few months back, so we switched his food. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/06/15/155097981/salmonella-in-dog-food-is-making-humans-sick

Elisabeth September 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

@Tina:

Just FYI, the salmonella scare was for Diamond Pet Foods, which makes both Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild (and a whole bunch of other brands). Same company, same factory, same risks. They inspected the factory and it sounded pretty gross. That said, it was a few months back and they’ve probably fixed things by now.

TOTW is a better food anyway, though.

Tina September 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Really?! Mal and I were told TOTW wasn’t involved. Jeez. I’m just glad Murph is okay!

Elisabeth September 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

@Tina:

Yes, I don’t think any dogs got sick from Taste of the Wild but…same factory. A lot of people switched foods to avoid anything made by Diamond.

Here’s a full list of the brands: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/diamond-dog-food-recall-summary/

(That’s a good website for dog food issues in general.)

Zulema September 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Those photos of your dog are sooo cute! I wonder what goes through their brain…’maybe if I keep staring at the bag it will come to me’. And great idea about a fall list ! One of the things I forget to do is to hit up farmer’s market. It always slips my mind.

Courtney September 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Dogs are hilarious. That is all.

Cindy September 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I think that doctor/student stole that from an episode of House. In one episode House tells a guy with inflammatory bowel issues to smoke 2 cigarettes a day to help.

My cat knows the drawer we keep her dry food in, and she routinely trues to get inside the drawer. :)

Ed September 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Hey great minds think alike! We have the same container to store Buoy’s food…must be a brachycephalic thing…isn’t it handy though it is air tight so you don’t have to smell the dog food and it is on wheels so you can roll it in and out of places….

@GNC_Kelly September 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

In the pic of the Godiva Gem, I see Murphy staring at the decadent piece of chocolate…haha! I love your dog! He knows a good thing when he sees it. Hope you’re doing great!

Angela@The Chicken Scoop September 19, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I use the same brand but for cats! Have you noticed its soy and grain free? Yep, Murphy is almost Paleo too! Teehee.

And if I leave the sealed bag of cat food out unattended, I come back to find teeth and claw marks in it. Oy
    ~Ang

Tina September 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Haha! :)

Amanda September 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Haha I just laughed out loud! Him staring at that trash can is hilarious. My dog would do that until I let him eat the bag lol!

Deb September 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm

LOL Laughing so hard at the pics of Murphy and the bag! Our dogs do something similar when I bring home new dog food. Apparently their kibble is ammmmaaazing!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Hahaha our yellow lab is the same exact way! It’s quite the event in our house when my husband pours the bag of dog food in the plastic bin… Our dog will slyly try to knock out a bunch of dog food while he’s pouring it in. And then he won’t leave the empty bag alone!! It’s too funny.

Kaitlyn @Keeping up with Kaitlyn September 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Murphy makes me laugh so much!!! He has quite the personality!!

Danica September 19, 2012 at 7:06 pm

That dinner looks fantastic!

Lily September 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Tina – that’s very true about smoking and ulcerative colitis. I kept myself in remission by smoking. When I quit smoking and went on the nicotine patch I was also in remission. I had numerous GI doctors tell me that smoking is bad but is actually a remedy for Ulcerative Colitis, not Crohn’s. (smoking has the opposite effect for Crohn’s disease). As soon as I took the nicotine away I had a flare for two years!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

lol!! Murphy is so dam cute! My dog would of tore that bag apart if I let him!!! Dogs are so funny!!

Michele September 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Those Murphy pics are hilarious! My cat goes wacko whenever I buy a new bag of food and bring it into his room. Yes, my cat has his own room. He will stare at the food bag and meow. Crazy animals!

Erin September 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

LOVE it Murphy!! My pug does the same thing so last time I left him with the bag, he licked and sniffed it for an hour before I finally took it away. It was a big bag like you had and at one point his whole body was in the big. Ahhhh I just LOVE pugs!!

Alissa September 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I definitely need to make a fall bucket list. I love your suggestions! I need to go apple picking just so I can make some homemade applesauce.

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Murphy is just TOO cute!!! I love him and from your posts, I am sure that my Boston, Ozzy would make a perfect best friend for him, lol!! They are quite alike in many ways.

Tina September 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Murphy loves Boston Terriers! :)

Angel September 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

OMG…I just love your dog!!! Soo soo cute, I was cracking up the whole time :)

Rachel September 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

awwww Murphy!!! My cats do the same thing… we have to feed them whenever we bring home new cans haha

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 19, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love all of Murphy’s faces over that bag. The poor little pug. :(

laura September 19, 2012 at 9:23 pm

The smoking thing is totally true, as someone else mentioned. I used to smoke casually in my 20′s (with drinks and socially) and it was only when I stopped smoking that my colitis really got bad. I did try nicotine gum for a while but didn’t want to go down that road again.

michelle kim September 19, 2012 at 10:33 pm

HAHAHAHA Murphy is so funny!
    My dog is obsessed with her new kibble (I change up the brands every time). She eats it all in one sitting and eats it so quickly!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food September 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Murphy’s weirdness just makes my day!

I feel like summer has definitely flown by and I didn’t do a lot either! I think it really is true that time seems to fly as you get older!!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Awwww poor Murphy!!

Jessica September 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I’d love if you’d do a post on how you’re feeling with the changes you’ve made to your diet! Not just in relation to UC, but also in general overall:)

Jodie September 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I am reading this post in my lunch break, having a bit of a bad day but this post cracked me up. Love the Murphy posts! My neighbours left my labradors biscuits outside on back table (as we just got home from holidays), & guess who at them all…yep, my lab demolished them, looked 10times his normal size and had a stinky bum!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 20, 2012 at 3:27 am

My pups are the same way. Even if they hear something crumbling they think it’s a treat and go nuts!

KiKi September 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

oh, Murphy. He’s so precious.

Vicki September 20, 2012 at 9:45 am

I love the Murphy stories. He reminds me so much of my pug.

jen September 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

poor murphy! this post cracked me up. my dog would do the exact same thing. he lays by the dog food container and looks at it longingly. so cute!

Kelly@BalancedDaily September 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hahaha “ripping butts” is such a Mass. phrase! It is quite scary to know that even doctors are human and can make mistakes! Those pug pictures are too cute. My little cocka-poo (cocker spaniel/poodle) has an even worse one-track mind now that she’s getting older (almost 12!) and literally won’t leave us alone when cooking/eating. Stubborn pooch’s.

Jessica September 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

lOve that one track pug mind ;) my lab does the same thing– he’d lick that bag til kingdom come if I let him!

Samantha September 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

This post is HILARIOUS. I’m getting a dog soon and I can’t wait for her to do crazy things like this.

Mara @ martialartsnchocolate.blogspot.com September 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

That was the funniest series of photos EVER!!! HA HA HA!!! What a silly lil guy!!! He must keep you guys smiling! :D

Beth September 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm

My “extra” room is just the same as yours! Our beer fridge and bar are in it too, a long with other random items :)

absolute fitness development September 21, 2012 at 8:05 am

Murphy makes me laugh. You’re so cute in your photos.! :)

chris October 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I think that your dog really love this dog food. He truly likes the brand of the dog food that you have.