• My New/Old Doc & Lunch at Anna’s Taqueria

September 14, 2012

Great news: I had a successful appointment with my “new” primary care doctor today. She’s actually my old primary care doc from when I lived in the city. When I moved to the South Shore a couple of years ago, I switched to one closer to home for the convenience, but, obviously, that didn’t work out. I’m glad my new/old doctor agreed to take me back!

2012-09-14_1056

My new/old doctor is awesome. She’s warm. She’s kind. She really listens. And she didn’t make me feel like a crazy person when I told her I didn’t want to take prescription drugs for the rest of my life. She even said my goal of managing my colitis is “very reasonable.” She also gave me a referral to a GI specialist at MGH, who considers “whole picture” when it comes to IBDs (inflammatory bowel diseases). Hooray!

My new/old doctor also prescribed me a 20-day taper of Prednisone (steroids) to fully kick my current flare for good. A little over a week ago, I started to bleed again, so my old doctor put me on 15mg, but it hasn’t done too much, so my new doc is hitting it hard with 40mg. She’s convinced it’ll do the trick. And, in “10 business days,” I’ll have a referral to my new GI doctor, and we’ll go from there with a long-term plan to keep me healthy and flare-free. I’m so glad I’m finally getting things under control. It’s been a long 6 weeks!

IMG_1968 (750x563)

Lunch

After my appointment, I met Abby at Anna’s Taqueria for lunch. Abby works for a Boston PR agency, who represents Anna’s, so we emailed back and forth all summer long, trying to nail down a time we could meet for lunch. Since I was heading into the city for my doctor’s appointment, I suggested getting together after it. This worked for her schedule too, so we finally had our lunch together.

IMG_1949 (750x563)

I love Anna’s. When I lived in Coolidge Corner, I used to go ALL the time. And anytime Mal and I venture into the city near an Anna’s, we always stop in to buy burritos. Mal usually buys two burritos—one to eat immediately and one to eat for lunch the next day. He’s obsessed with Anna’s.

2012-09-14_1057

The other day, I emailed Abby to let her know I was a little worried about what I was going to eat since I’m avoiding gluten and beans, but she assured me Anna’s has lots of healthy options beyond burritos. I ended up ordering the Mexican Plate, which comes with a choice of meat, beans, salsa, and rice with tortillas on the side. This dish is totally customizable, so mine was made without beans and guacamole on the side. I asked for grilled veggies instead of rice, but there was a small mix up, but next time for sure!

IMG_1957 (750x563)

Abby raved about the Tacos al Pastor, so I tried one of those too. It’s a corn tortilla topped with shaved rotisserie-cooked pork, pineapple, red onion, cilantro, and drizzled with spicy guacamole and tomato-based, Mexican-spiced sauce. It was delicious!

IMG_1955 (750x563) (2)

I also tried a few of the beverages Anna’s offers:

• Watermelon Agua Fresca – freshly squeezed watermelon juice (available seasonally), some sugar is added
    • Horchata – light, sweet, made fresh daily from ground almonds, rice milk and cinnamon
    • Jamaica – refreshing, made fresh daily from brewed hibiscus petals, sometimes called “Mexican fruit punch”
    I liked them all, especially the Horchata. I’d order it as a dessert though.

IMG_1953 (750x563) (2)

Abby sent me home with a chicken burrito for Mal. He’s going to be so psyched! Thanks, Abby!

I’m off to walk Murphy and then start my weekend.

HAPPY FRIDAY, FRIENDS!!!!!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Oh man, I totally want Mexican for dinner now but the bf is making pesto pasta. At least I’m not cooking! Glad your new/old doc appt went well. :)

Cindy September 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I used to go to Anna’s all the time! I love them!

Brandi September 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I used to eat at Anna’s when I worked on campus at MIT! Glad you found something you can eat there.

RunEatRepeat September 14, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I drive an hour to see my doctor because I like her so much!

j3nn September 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm

My hubby is a huge fan of burritos, too. Moe’s is like crack to him. Horchata sounds SO good! I must try it sometime.

Good luck with your new/old doc and your increased Pred! Hopefully it will suppress things while you get some healing in. Are you taking probiotics? I bought several different types, VLS3 being the newest because I hear it’s excellent. Here’s to speedy healing — FOREVER!

Tina September 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yep, I’m taking VSL3! I think it’s working! :)

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I love the sound of the Horchata!! I would try making it at home, but I feel like I would bung it up! (Might still give it a shot though!!)
    Glad to hear your appointment went well. I was on prednisone to kick a severe skin allergy (my system was immunocompromised at the time and I just kept flaring even though the allergen was gone), it’s really not a fun medication! I hope upping the dose and tapering helps!!

Courtney September 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm

so glad you have a good team of health professionals on your side!

Grace @ Grace Dishes September 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Nothing hits the spot like a good Mexican meal! The food looks yumy!

Enjoy the weekend. Glad the doctor’s appointment went well.

Annette@FitnessPerks September 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Mmmmmm fresh Mexican food is SO good! That looks awesome. Enjoy your Friday as well :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I’m studying nutritional therapy at the moment and your completely write. We’ve become a society that depends on drugs which only really mask problems not cure them. The majority of the illnesses people suffer today can most definitely be managed if not potentially cured through diet alone; food as a whole heap of healing power!

Hayley September 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Yum! I love Horchata! My Mexican mother-in-law made it for me when i was pregnant and i could not get enough.

Sally September 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I feel your pain with stomach issues!! I actually just switched to a GI too at MGH. Good choice! I heard they are the best!!

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 14, 2012 at 7:12 pm

My roommate is OBSESSED with Anna’s Taqueria! He goes there all the time and raves about their food. I haven’t had a chance to go yet, but after reading this post it’s all I can think about!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 14, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I’ve been craving Mexican food lately and even more so now!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Yay for a new doc! Sounds like a good fit, and might have some great ideas on helping you. :)

luv what you do September 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

When i moved from Memphis back to Chicago, I was SO happy to be back seeing my new/old doctor. There is something about the MD that clicks that is totally worth the drive! Lunch looks incredible! So healthy and fresh!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm

You can never go wrong with a good burrito place – I need to look for one near me!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm

So glad your appointment went well!! Yah!!! Your lunch looks amazing!!! Yummy!!

amanda mae September 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I miss Anna’s! I went to grad school @ BU and used to go there so much…YUM! Just started reading your blog & love it so far! Hope those ‘roids kick in, I have Crohn’s and let’s just say I feel your pain! :)

jessica September 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Have you considered eliminating nuts & seeds from your diet for a while? They can be extremely irritating to the digestive tract. Especially nut butters! I think that’s mentioned in the Practical Paleo book.

Tina September 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Do you remember where it says that about nut butters in Practical Paleo?

Sara September 15, 2012 at 12:22 am

tina,
    i just moved to boston 2 weeks ago (reading your blog over the summer got me pretty excited) and i’m living in coolidge corner — I seriously don’t know where anything is in the entire city, but I looked at the picture and was like…wait a second…isn’t that in my neighborhood? Do you have any suggestions/recommendations about the neighborhood? -Sara PS:this may be too personal to share via your blog, but i happen to be looking for a new PCP in my neighborhood — do you have any medical group suggestions?

Khushboo September 15, 2012 at 12:54 am

Sometimes a good doctor who you feel comfortable with is worth the commute!

Jessica @ Keeping Mommy Sane September 15, 2012 at 6:49 am

Ahh I miss Anna’s! We’ve been in the metrowest burbs for 5 years and we cannot find a burrito place that even comes close to Anna’s (plus they’re always so fast!!) I always try to bring takeout home when I’m in the city.

Good luck with your new doc – its so important to have someone who really listens to you, especially when you’re dealing with something like UC. I know from experience. I’ve been dealing with it for just about 10 yrs now so I know how much it can completely change your life, esp when you’re dealing with a flare . I have thankfully been in remission for 4 yrs (meds) but I feel like I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Let us know how you make out at MGH.

Monica September 15, 2012 at 7:11 am

If you enjoy Mexican, I would highly recommend Ole in Cambridge: http://www.olerestaurantgroup.com/ole

They make the guacamole right in front of you and everything else is equally fresh. Plus, they have the best brunches!

Tina September 15, 2012 at 7:24 am

I love Ole!!! I need to stop in for a visit again soon!

Jenica September 15, 2012 at 11:20 am

Glad your old/new doctor is helping you feel better. I honestly think bedside manner is about half of what I care about in a doctor. Competency is, of course, the other half. Dealing with chronic problems sucks, so I hope the steroids help a whole lot and the lifestyle changes you’re implementing do the rest!

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Oh wow – I am really craving Mexican food now. How good does that look!

Meredith September 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I am now craving Anna’s like crazy! I LOVE that place…it is so consistently good. And it’s fast and cheap, as well! I always get the steak burrito with guac, sour cream and hot sauce. Not the healthiest option there, but it’s a special treat. None of the other chain burrito places compare! Glad you found something yummy there!

Maureen @ Organically Mo September 15, 2012 at 8:25 pm

That food looks delish! Good luck on prednisone…I have taken it quite a few times and it makes me feel like I am the Energizer Bunny…until at night when it makes me exhausted!

Katie September 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Have you tried Chinese Medicine for your condition? I am in school for it, and we just learned a category of herbs that stops bleeding internally & externally….so you fit in this category! Most acupuncturists are herbalists also (in CA it’s included in the program). Good luck, & I hope you get better!

Sara @ Running in Pink September 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

Why is it so hard to find a doctor that you feel like really listens? You are lucky to get to be able to go back to the new/old doc, hopefully it all works out.
    All that mexican looks amazing – I am not craving tacos at 8:45am. haha.

Emily @ runningmyliferace September 16, 2012 at 10:36 am

I love horchata! I have tried to make it at home with almond milk but it doesn’t turn out quite likea good Mexican restaurant makes it! I’m trying to eat Paleo and I usually get fajitas with guacamole or a fajita salad at Mexican restaurants. Meat, veggies, and guacamole- what could be better?? Don’t be afraid to modify dshes at restaurants to meet your dietary needs; they are usually very accomodating!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings September 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

Anna’s Taqueria looks awesome! I love mexican food and I love how they have specialty non-alcoholic drinks :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

“small” mix up haha, that is a lot of rice. I hope you kick this flare soon, I can imagine how inconvenient it is!

Dr Alain September 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm

careful there side effects

Metabolic: weight gain

elizabeth @ chronic venture September 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

As someone with a chronic illness as well (lupus), I have really appreciated from reading about your journey with colitis. I have been on prednisone for about 3 years now, finally down to 1mg every other day to keep things in check. Stay strong and you will get through all of this!!

Kalee September 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’m so glad you’ve found a doctor you like and that listens!! I hope you feel 100% better soon!

Athena @ Fitness & Feta September 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I was emailing Abby for quite some time too trying to nail down a date to go in after they decided not to host the picnic for all! I enjoyed my meal at your old stomping ground in Cleveland Circle, and brought burritos home for the next day which came in handy since I was moving! Hit the spot after moving furniture/boxes and being STARVING!

Jayme October 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I’ve been a reader for a while, but don’t usually comment. Love your blog though! I know you have been dealing with UC and a friend of mine recently wrote a book about it IBD and how he dealt with it after being diagnosed. The book talks about a fitness regimen and also healthy living with UC. Here is his website if you would like to check it out: http://www.strengthandnutrition.com/
    I hope you feel better soon!

Tina October 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thank you for the link!!! :)