• My 6-Week CrossFit-Running-Yoga Training Plan

September 12, 2012

I have a couple of races coming up on my fall calendar, so I made a training plan for myself. This weekend, I’m running the Reebok Canton Road Race on a team sponsored by Reebok and Fitfluential. I’m also running the Army 10-Miler in October, so I really want to keep up my mileage, so I don’t suck ass can finish with a smile on my face. Having a game plan always seems to motivate me.

On the bus ride home from New York City last week, I created a handwritten training plan on the back of my Bolt Bus ticket. It was a nice, little schedule until it got crumpled and wet in my bag. Oops!

So, yesterday, I made this pretty thing:

Much better! I love having my training schedule all laid out, nice and neat. This one incorporates:

• CrossFit – 2 or 3 times per week
    • Running – 1 or 2 times per week
    • Yoga – once a week
    • Rest – at least 2 days per week

I have to admit, this plan seems like the most balanced training schedule I’ve ever made for myself. Usually, I go all balls-to-the-wall when I create training plans, so I almost always overdo it, get injured or have a flare, which, obviously, doesn’t make me a better athlete. It actually does just the opposite. This time, however, I incorporated lots of rest and yoga days to give my body plenty of time to recover between intense CrossFit workouts and long runs.

I made this plan with my personal schedule in mind for the next 6 weeks. I’m doing a lot of travel, so I planned my workouts around those trips. I’m sure I’ll make small changes here and there, but it’s a good guide to keep me on track. The visual aspect helps me stay on top of my workouts and, honestly, I just like making training schedules to motivate myself. “Training” to me means having a game plan and sticking to it the best I can to prepare for an upcoming event, and I have a feeling this one is a good one!

This morning’s breakfast was a bowl of “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats made with coconut milk, (defrosted) strawberries, and a scoop of sunflower butter. I also drank a glass of iced Dandy Blend with almond milk.

What does “training” mean to you? How often do you make your own training plans?

P.S. You still have time to enter my giveaway to win some Nikki’s Coconut Butter! I’m picking a winner this afternoon!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Rest is so important so I love how you’ve made plenty of time for it, it’s so easy to be tempted in to training at least 6 days which is nothing but risky with races coming up! Do you find it hard getting back in to longer distances?

Tina September 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Not usually, but I haven’t run in over a month, so we’ll see how it goes!

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This is a perfectly balanced training plan, I love it! This is the exact type of plan I’ve been talking about for forever, but have yet to actually implement it. You have inspired me as always!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife September 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I always make a training schedule but I tend to overdo it every time. & I get mad at myself when I miss a workout/run. I definitely need to start being a little bit more flexible but I’m too type- A lol.

Your schedule looks great though! Good luck :)

Kelsey September 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Your schedule is so good-looking too! What program did you use to make it look that pretty? Thanks!

Tina September 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Kelsey September 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thank you!

Kelsey September 12, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Ive never thought of planning my workout schedule that far in advance. It might help me stick to my plan.

ASHWIN September 14, 2012 at 2:57 am

Hi Tina, Ashwin here ..,, I am now employed n working full time., i want to become slim and do not want to put on weight.. I am around 82 kgs .. few months back I was 74kgs.. and I was happy with my weight like that .. n I would do regular exercises ,, but now , i am not able to do ,, I want to loose weight n become very slim ., i want to weight about 50-55 kgs.. Pls. suggest some method … pls. its a request . Thanks .. I would like if You send me an e-mail regarding it . Thanks , Take care .

Annett September 18, 2012 at 8:02 am

@Kelsey planning this long ahead is actually a very good excercise in itself. You never have to think about what to do and can put all your time in actually doing the excersise.

Kat Guenther December 29, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thank you so much for sharing! I was starting to make my own workout schedule with Running, Yoga and CF, but was having a hard time balancing out the schedule. I was so happy to see that someone else had the same idea!

Thanks again!