• Maybe I Actually Liked High School

September 27, 2012

The other night, I read a chapter in Let’s Pretend This Never Happened about the author’s high school experience. Her stories are absolutely hilarious, and I love the way she writes—it’s like we’re at a bar, drinking beers, and she’s not holding back as she remembers those times in her life. It’s awesome. Anyway, the alternative title for the chapter is “High School Is Life’s Way of Giving You a Record Low to Judge the Rest of Your Life By,” and I have to admit, I totally agree. High school is a not a time in my life I would ever want to relive and, compared to the rest of my life, it really was a low point. Ha! I guess things have just gotten better and better since then!

When I was looking at old photos to include in this morning’s post, I realized my high school experience actually wasn’t so bad. Maybe I even liked it.

LHSGirlsSoccerFall1995 (750x590)

I was involved with a lot of extracurricular activities in high school, so I was always busy doing something. I played soccer, basketball (I was terrible), and tennis. I was a class officer, student council rep, played the flute in the school band, and participated in the annual musicals.

highschooltennis (750x586)

I was shy and plenty awkward, but I liked being involved and it helped me come out of my shell.

Carnival (750x615)

And I pretty much did all of the “normal” high school stuff: I went to the Prom, I took my SATs, I got my driver’s license, I ate pancakes at Bickford’s late-night, I helped with the senior prank, I stole pumpkins (hey, that’s what you do when you live in a small town)…

prom1995 (593x750)

Maybe high school wasn’t so horrible after all.

highschoolfuntimes (750x594)

Even still, I’d never want to go back.

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast was my usual two-ingredient pancake (I can’t get enough of ‘em!) with sliced strawberries and a scoop of almond butter on top. I also drank a glass of Dandy Blend with canned coconut milk mixed in.

What was your experience like in high school? Would you ever want to relive that time in your life?

I’d never want to relive high school, but if I had the opportunity to relive a week of college (I don’t think my body could handle much more), I’d jump at the chance! College ruled.

clare @ fittingitallin September 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

I LOVED high school. I went to an all girls catholic school and I still talk to my best friends every day!

Mari @ Wine Required September 27, 2012 at 11:42 am

I wouldn’t want to go back to high school. I was popular and I was not shy, but even so I didn’t feel like I fit in at all. I’d go back to college. I feel like I wasn’t known and I could redefine myself and become more of who I am today.

Corrie Anne September 27, 2012 at 11:47 am

I truly enjoyed both high school and college.. but would never want a redo. I’m so happy where I’m at :)

Danica September 27, 2012 at 11:53 am

I did fine in high school too but I definitely would never go back! All the free time in college was amazing though. I don’t even know what I did for all those days!

elle | nutritionella September 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I’d also never want to go back to high school. The thirties are where it’s at. :)

Tina September 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Agreed! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks September 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I didn’t love HS either. It was okay, but I really loved college! I would totally go back to undergrad for a week or so-we had a lot of fun :)

Socal Rachel September 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I would love to go back to HS. Life was easy even though we thought we hated it. We got to spend every day with our friends.

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I agree with you; high school wasn’t too bad and at the time even fun….sometimes. But, I definitely wouldn’t want to relive it. During college I already had my family and it was exhausting, so I wouldn’t want to relive that either. I’m happy with how things are now!!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset September 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

NOT a fan of high school. Not the worst time in my life thus far, but definitely around second worst. ;)

Iris Lee September 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I never want to relive high school! Of course there were good times, but I’m totally fine just remembering them from the present. :) Love your high school pics!

Katie September 27, 2012 at 1:41 pm

High school was definitely my low point as well. I would never want to relive the whole experience, but I think it would be really interesting to go back for a day or two to see what it was like and how I would be as the person I am today compared to the quiet, extremely introverted person I was back then.

Amanda September 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm

High school wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t something I’d want to relive. I was so awkward! I still am, but it’s not as bad. I’d relive college in a heartbeat though =)

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 27, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I was actually just thinking about high school the other day! I usually think it’s something I’d never like to do again, but when I really thought about it and looked back at pictures, it wasn’t so bad. In fact, I thought those were the best times of my life. Now I know better, but it was so much fun when I was at that point in my life :)

Elisabeth September 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

High school was ok – I was fairly shy, but had a good group of friends. I was a 4.0 student and was involved with tennis, band, choir, student council, a service group called Hi-Y, quiz bowl and yearbook. I wouldn’t want to repeat it, but I would like a do-over for college ;)

Mara @ martialartsnchocolate.blogspot.com September 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I liked high school too… I still keep in touch with a lot of my girlfriends from high school as well, and we’re almost to our 40’s. I don’t think I’d want to go back though, but having your biggest problem in life be what you were going to do that weekend was sort of refreshing!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail September 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Blast from the pas–do I spot a scrunchie???! I wish I wouldn’t have been so serious in HS–I was so focused on academics and sports to earn a scholarship, I failed to let loose but I loved being involved in so many sports–jock clique for sure. ;)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I TEACH high school, so I have a constant reminder of what those years were like… no thanks! I’d go back to college in a second!

Charline September 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I love all 3 of the Captiva Waterproof boots, not sure I could choose just one

luv what you do September 27, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I think that JR high was SO MUCH worse than high school. I was much more comfortable with myself and had a great set of friends. I would never go back to JR high, EVER!

@ Shrinkontherun September 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I often think that even if someone paid me a million dollars I wouldn’t go back to high school! But I think I was so shy that I missed out on all the things that would have probably made it more fun and more of an experience :)

Christine September 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I loved my high school experience and would go back if I had the chance.

Melissa September 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’d never go back to high school, but college was amazing. I’d only want to go back for a week or so though because I love my life now. I’m happily married, know who I am, and am blessed with tons of opportunities.

Angie @ Pint of Goals September 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I actually really liked high school, and now teach at one :) Looking back, I realize how easy my life was then compared to college and now. I’m sure I didn’t feel that way then, but I know I had lots of fun.

Apple A Day September 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Adorable pictures! Like you, when I was in high school I hated it. All I could think about was getting out of my small town. Looking back on it I had a ton of fun. I ate pancakes at Bick’s, drove around in my parent’s station wagon with my friends stealing lawn ornaments, and showed up at school dances wearing outrageous dresses. I was a total drama geek and had the fun of going to drama festival too. Looking back on it, those were some of the best moments of my young life.

I would never go back though! being an adult in charge of my own life is way better! I can drink, travel, afford to buy cool shoes… life is great!

Irina @ Chocolatea Time September 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I miss high school sometimes. Looking back, I miss senior year the most. It’s when I truly came out of my shell and made friends that remain close to this day!

Valerie September 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I go back to high school every day. I even get paid to do it! I’m a high school teacher. I love it!! But would I go back to my high school days? Meh. I like grown up me way better than teen me.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 28, 2012 at 3:13 am

High school was an amazing time for me, but like all things when you’re younger, you realize you would never do it again because times have cha Ted, people have changed. You realize things you once did are less interesting or important, situations are less dramatic than you think, etc. I loved high school, but I would never do it again.

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie September 29, 2012 at 12:44 am

love this post! and the umbro shorts~!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 29, 2012 at 10:28 am

I definitely wouldn’t want to relive high school. No thank you. Looking back it definitely had some fun moments, but not enough that I’d go back and do it again. As for college, looking back I definitely rushed through it and didn’t take the time to really enjoy the *experience*, though going to a specialized music school definitely is a different college experience than a “normal” school. I’m actually in the process of debating returning to college for a second degree and taking my career change and NASM CPT a step further…