• How Did You First Discover Exercise?

September 11, 2012

Good morning from a very happy pug!!!

IMG_1645

Murphy had a blast at the dog park yesterday afternoon. Mal and I did, too!

BareCovePark

In fact, we enjoyed walking and talking so much, we totally lost track of time and ended up rushing to get ourselves to the 6:00 PM CrossFit class.

BareCoveParkHingham

Thankfully, our box is cool with dogs (the owners have a Dachshund), so we brought Murphy along with us. He hung out while we worked out.

IMG_1648

Workout

After a 10-minute warm-up, we spent the rest of class working on our 1RM for Deadlifts. I worked with two of the strongest women at our box (one of them being one of our coaches), so they really motivated me to surpass my previous 1RM. The personalized coaching tips definitely helped me improve my form, and I ended up with a 235-pound 1RM Deadlift! Whoa. My new 1RM is a 35-pound increase from my previous PR and 85 pounds more than my first attempt at Deadlifts back in December. Isn’t that crazy!? If you told me 9 months ago that I’d deadlift 235 pounds, I would have never believed you. Ever. I’m truly amazed by what CrossFit has done for my fitness level.

oneofthegreatest
    [image source]

Last night, the energy at our box was electric. Almost everyone achieved a new PR, so we were all pumped up—cheering and high-fiving like crazy. It was awesome and it made me think how much I love this sport. I honestly can’t imagine my life with it. Then, I starting thinking about all of the different forms of exercise I’ve done over the years and how much I’ve enjoyed each of them for their own special reasons.

My first experience with exercise was at 3 years old; my mom signed me up to take ballet classes. Of course, I never saw ballet as a way to burn calories or improve my cardio endurance, but even from this young age, I saw exercise as something fun. I went on to take tap and jazz classes and then played soccer in elementary and middle school. By the time I got to high school, I played a different sport pretty much every season—soccer, indoor soccer, basketball, tennis, and track. At 16, I discovered the gym and step aerobics. In my 20’s, I fell in love with long-distance running, Body Pump, and yoga, and now I’m on a CrossFit kick. As long as I stay motivated and regularly exercise, I think it’s okay—actually, more than okay—to change fitness interests from time-to-time.

1821 (750x592)

Dinner

After CrossFit, I came home and whipped up a quick dinner, which was chicken salad made with mashed avocado, salt, and pepper on top of some leftover spaghetti squash. Simple and delicious—it’s a good thing too because I was not in the mood to cook. Those deadlifts took a lot out of me!

After dinner, I enjoyed a few spoonfuls of vanilla cake batter coconut butter straight from the jar.

NikkisCoconutButter_001

How did you first discover exercise?

Never forget 9/11/01

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I was in to Athletics when I was in school, then I discover aerobics, then/now I discovered running! I also love spinning and I’m falling in love with strength training :)

Jen Cox September 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm

My first round of exercise was softball. I played until I was 14. I really enjoyed the sport, but stopped for a number of personal reasons. It has just been within the last 3 years that I have developed a love of exercise. It all started with Zumba!! This girl was born to boogie!!!! I still zumba a couple of times a week, but I am incorporating weight lifting and circuit training into my workouts. I love them and the way I feel afterwards

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I guess the very first time I discovered exercise was when my parents enrolled me in swimming lessons. Field hockey in junior high was when I became more AWARE of fitness.

Dr. Mark September 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm

People make fun of Sly Stallone, but it doesn’t change the fact that the man made some of the biggest blockbusters of all time. For me, Rocky II changed my life. I got into fitness when I saw that movie, looking for anything in the house I could lift, shadow boxing in the basement to the music I recorded off the movie soundtrack. I’ve been working out ever since. I still bounce up and down with my arms raised at the top of the steps every time I finish the last set of stairs I run for the day. “Creeeeeed.”

Brandi September 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love that you guys took Murphy to your box! So cute!

Robyn September 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I been athletic my whole life I started with jazz when I was 6 and also soccer. Did pom and cheer for a few years. Then when I was 9 I played fastpitch Softball till I was 16 ( I miss it so much I was a pitcher). In highschool I got back into Dance for all 4 years. Now I do kickboxing, yoga and running. My next step will be crossfit I would do it now but I don’t want a gym memberships so I am going to wait till my boxing membership is up

Di September 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Aside from school sports one name springs to mind: Jane Fonda! She was the fitness queen of the 80′s along with Olivia Newton John (lets get physical) those two launched female fitness classes into the mainstream gyms. I remember doing jane fonda videos, and fitness classes after school. Yep the whole outfit too: legwarmers, headband, leotard and tights! Ah those were the days!

kristle September 11, 2012 at 8:22 pm

we had tae bo in gym one year in high school and i really liked it, everyone else hated it! i still have the tae bo gold vhs my mom got me for xmas that year! (she accidentally got the older persons “oldies” version lol)

Melissa September 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I was the same as you – my parents put me in ballet when I was 4 and I’ve kept dancing ever since. I dance less now and run a lot, but it’s still a huge part of my life. I can’t imagine not exercising!

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} September 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Wow, 235# — impressive. I did 155 last night for my PR. You’re inspirational.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Nice job on that PR! :D

I did dance and gymnastics when I was young, but then stopped doing anything until my sophomore year of college when I decided to needed to get my act together and start exercising. I feel like I’ve changed so much because of it!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction September 11, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Congrats on the PR!!! Like you, my mom signed me up for tennis at a young age. Since then I’ve always played and seen exercise as something fun, enjoyable, sociable and good for me! I thank her for that every day!

alexis September 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I started ballet at just 4 and I’ve been active ever since!

On a side note, I’ll be traveling to Boston for work next week. Do you have any suggestions for good lunch spots to eat at solo? How about a safe and close running area? I’ll be staying in the South End. Sure would appreciate your suggestions as I’ve never been!

Aurielle @ Will2Wellness September 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

When I was really little my brother, cousins, and I would all run around and play outside. Our moms had to make us come inside to eat lunch and dinner! A little opposite of kids today!
    We moved to AL when I was in the third grade, and I had a hard time adjusting and spent more time indoors watching tv (this is also where my history of binge eating began).
    During my last year of high school, I started being more aware of my body and health. I started walking then running. My fitness level has fluctuated over the years. I have not been as active as I would like, but I am currently trying to get back to enjoying fitness again. I love group fitness classes (I’ve tried boot camp, Zumba, and Les Mills BodyJam) and working out solo. I’ve realized it’s all about progress, not perfection!

Melissa @ Fit 'N' Well Mommy September 11, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Congrats on your deadlift PR; that is awesome!! I think that is why I love CrossFit so much because it takes you to new levels (physically and emotionally) that you never thought were possible! There are so many things that I have accomplished since starting CrossFit last October that I never thought I could do!

My first experience with exercise was playing soccer at the age of 4. My mom was my coach. At that time, we were lucky to just kick the ball into the right goal!

Ryan September 12, 2012 at 12:03 am

235lb deadlift is A LOT! Nice work Tina!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd September 12, 2012 at 10:10 am

I started playing basketball in 2nd grade and played all through college. That was my main sport all of my life but I also dabbled in soccer, softball and some track as well. I didn’t start really running any type of long distance until college and now I’m also loving CrossFit!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I grew up dancing and playing 4 sports. After sports, I began hiking (once I moved out of chicago) and practicing yoga which changed my life. I now live vicariously through your CrossFit posts, but soon enough I will be joining the amazing world that is CrossFit. :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily September 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I also started exercising with dance. I think that’s how a lot of girls start when they’re younger. I continued it until I was about 12, and then moved on to sports in middle school and high school (basketball, soccer, softball) and eventually got into long distance running. You’ve honestly inspired me so much to try CrossFit and ever since I’ve been reading about it on your blog I’ve been dying to try it. As a post-grad however, I didn’t know how this would fit into my budget. Fortunately, there was a recent Groupon deal here in Tampa for 3 months unlimited classes for $60!! My friend and I signed up and I’m so anxious to get started, but apparently over 400 people took advantage of the deal so I’ve been trying to make appointments and they’re so packed. Fingers crossed that I’ll be able to start in the next couple of weeks. Seriously, can’t wait.

Jessi September 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

I had the same experience of ballet at 3. I remember being in the car telling my mom I didn’t want to go, but I loved it and kept doing it for years. Still it wasn’t my first experience with exercise. My dad tried out for the Celtics (yes those Celtics) and I was his first child. From the moment I could walk (and I suspect before) the basketball drills started, followed by coordination and speed drills. So I guess you can say my first experience with exercise was pretty early =p