• CNC Meal Plan & Template: Week of September 16

September 16, 2012

Good morning and happy Sunday!  :mrgreen:

Here’s this week’s meal plan and grocery shopping list:

• Sunday: Grilled garlic flank steak with peppers & onions (PP P. 294)
    • Monday: The Best Chicken Recipe You’ll Ever Eat (WF p.69) with roasted broccoli
    • Tuesday: Pad Thai
    • Wednesday: Fiery jalapeno burgers on sweet potato pancakes (PP p. 298)
    • Thursday: Leftovers

• Parsley
    • Greek yogurt
    • Egg whites
    • Coconut milk
    • Spaghetti squash

2012-09-16_1126

I thought it’d be helpful to show you guys how I plan my dinners for the week. I have a special meal planning notepad that I typically use, but, sometimes, I just use a regular old piece of paper to organize things. I divide it in half, so one side lists the days of the week (Day/Meal Plan) and the other side is a space for my grocery shopping list (Grocery List).

On the Day/Meal Plan side, I write down all of the meals I plan to make for the week. This week, I’m using recipes from Well Fed (WF) and Practical Paleo (PP), so I made a note with the corresponding page number for each of the recipes.

In the Grocery List column,  next to each of the meals, I write down what I need to buy at the grocery store to make it. For example, the recipe for Monday (grilled garlic flank steak with peppers & onions) calls for flank steak, onion, bell pepper, garlic, coconut oil, salt, and pepper. I already have garlic and coconut oil in my kitchen, so I only add flank steak, onion, and bell pepper to my list. I continue to do this for the rest of the meals to make my grocery shopping list.

MealPlanExample

And here’s a blank template for you to use!

MealPlanningTemplate

For more of my meal planning and money saving tips and tricks, check out my Meal Planning 101 series!

I’m off to a bridal shower! Enjoy the day, friends!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I do my grocery lists very similiar to your’s. It’s a little time consuming making the list, but it’s totally worth it in the long run…..with no trips back to the store because you forgot something. Your meal plan for this week looks super yummy. Have a great week!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I love how colourful your “shopping basket” is — definitely something I think more people need to strive towards. It took me way too long to realize that different colours meant different nutrients (and it’s something I think the gen. pop. needs to hear more about). However, now I also love tossing in a fun snack with a colourful wrapper — just to balance things out a bit! ;)

Sarah September 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I love WELL FED:-) making shepards pie tonight! What cookbook is PP?

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I need to get better at making the connection between the meal idea and what specific ingredients I need to buy. I always forget things and end up modifying what I originally planned to make. It’s not always a bad thing, but sometimes the organization would have been nice.

Alysia September 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

We live by meal planning! It makes everything so much easier. We also plan our lunches although they typically repeat a lot every week

Amelia September 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Our grocery list looks similar for the week, except nix the beef/chicken and add seafood instead. :) I picked up my first acorn and spaghetti squash of the season today! Yay!!! :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I do the same sort of thing with my meal/grocery planning…it’s time consuming, but more effective and saves us money in the long run!

Amy September 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi Tina,
    Longtime fan. I just started going Paleo about 10 days ago. I feel great. I am excited to see Chobani on your table b/c I really miss dairy, which I thought wasn’t allowed. Can I have dairy on Paleo? Also, I have IBS, so I empathaize with your Colitis and wish you relief with your new/old doc. Thanks for all you do! Fondly, Amy

Tina September 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Dairy isn’t allowed on the Paleo diet. My husband still eats dairy and loves Greek yogurt, so it’s still part of our grocery shopping.

Elisabeth September 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I do my shopping list just like that! I add another step though – I take the item list from the right side & transcribe it onto the back of the page in order of the grocery aisles. It helps me be sure I haven’t missed anything ;)

Amy@macncheesenpeas September 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

jalapeno burgers on sweet potato pancakes? That’s such a cool idea! I once had peanut butter and jelly on pancakes, but that was in college when we were poor and didn’t want to cook haha! but it was tasty!

Courtney September 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I do a very similar thing with my planning! It works great!

Courtney September 16, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I do a similar thing with my meal planning too! I found a template that looks very similar to yours except it divides the grocery list into categories to make it super easy at the grocery store. Check it out! :)

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot September 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Jenica September 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Looks like a great way to stay organized! I’ll have to try it.

Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 16, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Hmmm I’m thinking of writing it all out instead of doing it in my head while grocery shopping, haha. This seems simple but like a great idea~that way nothing goes to waste, right? :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 16, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love the way you plan out your meals, so smart and simple. I’m adjusting to a new schedule (which means twice a week I’m not home until 9:30) and I’m trying to figure out the best way to plan what to eat. Still a work in progress, but checking out your plans is always a great inspiration!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely September 16, 2012 at 8:14 pm

love your template. thanks for sharing. i’m such a list maker. to me, making lists keep everything organized & simplified.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 16, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I’m intrigued by your Jalapeno Burgers on sweet potato pancakes! That sound interesting, yet yummy!!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings September 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the meal planning sheet! I do the same thing, plan the meals and then list the items I need. Working on my meal plans now! Definitely time consuming :)

Ivana@This Girl Inspired September 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I do my meal planning and grocery shopping on Sundays. I usually just use a sheet of notebook paper, but love the template. Thanks for sharing!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Looks great Tina! Thanks for sharing your template.

Jamie@everydaydolce.com September 16, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I’m a total list maker, and this post motivated me to get my butt back in shape with menu planning and being more organized with my shopping and meal variety. thanks for sharing! :)

Trine-Marie September 17, 2012 at 2:48 am

I love this! I am so bad at coming up with ideas myself an love reading about dinner recipes and planning ideas on other blogs :)

Scottie September 17, 2012 at 8:57 am

Very useful post. I just made my meal plans and grocery list for the week and feel some accomplished!

Maureen @ Organically Mo September 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm

This is very similar to how I do my meal planning. :) KNowing what you need before you hit the store helps cut down on the little “extras.”

BroccoliHut September 17, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Love the cute template!!

JenS September 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

What do PP and WF stand for? Thanks!

Tina September 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

Well Fed (WF) and Practical Paleo (PP).

Angela@The Chicken Scoop September 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I have been totally slacking on the meal planning lately, I have been too stressed with school. I think to take the pressure off, I need to get back to simple dinner. Think “grilled chicken and broccoli”, until I have more time again!

I do the same as you but use a spreadsheet :)
    ~Ang