• Cake + Friends + Crazy Concerts

September 17, 2012

Hi, friends! Happy Monday! How was your weekend? I hope it was a wonderful one! My weekend was all about friends and cake—two of my favorite things ever.

On Saturday afternoon, I joined my friend Jen for a cake tasting at Konditor Meister to help her pick out a second flavor for her wedding cake. Jen loves the chocolate-mocha cake from Konditor Meister, so that was a definite, but she also wanted a non-chocolate flavor for her wedding cake. Jen knows my favorite food ever is cake, so she asked me to come along. Obviously, I was more than happy to help!

Like Jen, I also really love the cakes from Konditor Meister (my bridal shower cake was from there), but I had never actually been to the store, so I was even more excited to visit with her.

6a169a88ff5611e18d0622000a1e9dcc_7

When we arrived, Jen and I were taken into a back room with little café-style tables. A couple of minutes later, one of the wedding cake “consultants” came over to us and asked if we had any specific cake flavors that we wanted to try. Jen wasn’t picky at all and told the woman to just “surprise”  her.

caketasting_001

And, boy, were we surprised! We received two huge trays with 10 slices of cake to try. We were in cake heaven.

After much debate, Jen decided on chocolate cake with mocha frosting for her top and bottom layers and gold cake with cognac frosting for her second and third layers. Jen and I agreed the cognac frosting wasn’t a flavor we would have initially picked, but we’re glad we tried it because it was absolutely delicious, especially with the gold cake. It was also a really nice compliment to Jen’s beloved chocolate-mocha cake.

I’m so glad Jen invited me along to her cake tasting. Of course, it was delicious, but it was also really neat to be part of such an important decision. It’s all about the cake!

Speaking of Konditor Meister cake, I got to enjoy even more of it at Jen’s bridal shower yesterday. Naturally, it was chocolate-mocha.

At her shower, we enjoyed a delicious and healthy lunch.

And then the bride-to-be opened gifts!

Jen and me!

On Saturday night, Mal and I met our friends Phil and Kerri for dinner at Picco.

Picco

It was a beautiful night—a little chilly, but beautiful—so we sat outside.

southend

For dinner, I ordered the fish tacos, which came with red onions, jalapenos, avocado, cabbage slaw, and cilantro. They were pretty good. (I didn’t eat the tortillas.)

I ordered wine with dinner!

Mal ordered a chocolate brownie sundae with coconut chip ice cream for dessert. It was massive and there was no way he could eat it all, so I helped him out by eating a few bites. It was amazing.

During dinner with Phil and Kerri, we got onto the topic of crazy concerts we’ve attended over the years. For me, the free Green Day concert at the Hatch Shell in Boston immediately came to mind.

GreenDay_ConcertPromo(1)
    [image source]

It was September 1994, so I was just starting my freshman year of high school. My mom thought Green Day was some earthy-crunchy, hippy band, so she let me go into the city with a few of my friends for the show. I also don’t think any of us expected it to get so out of hand. At the time, Green Day was popular, but they weren’t that popular.

The concert was totally nuts. It was estimated that 70,000 – 100,000 people showed up on the Esplanade for it. There was a huge mosh-pit (a guy standing next to me threw his bike into it), dozens of people were arrested, and more than 100 people were injured [source]. After only 20 minutes, Green Day ended their show because a massive mud fight broke out in the crowd. Thankfully, my friends and I were smart enough (ok, we were kind of scared) to stay far away from the madness, so we made it home safe and sound.

What’s the craziest concert you’ve ever been to?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 17, 2012 at 8:32 am

What an epic concert for a High School freshmen! I don’t think I’ve been to any crazy concerts – I’m not much of a live music fan though so I don’t have a long record of concert attendance :)

Tania September 17, 2012 at 8:34 am

I remember that Green Day concert! I was a freshman in high school too, and it was the talk of school the next day. Too bad my mom wouldn’t let me go… I did get to see Bare Naked Ladies when they played on Government Center a few years later.

Tina September 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

Me too! I got orange Kraft cheese all over my brand new backpack. I was so annoyed! Haha!

Sara @ Running in Pink September 17, 2012 at 8:47 am

That cake looks so yummy! Cake tasting was probably one of my favorite parts of wedding planning.

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:05 pm

@Sara @ Running in Pink: Mine too! I wish we had done more! :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 17, 2012 at 8:48 am

Hmm, I’ve been to a LOT of concerts (35ish) and I don’t remember any being anything close to that! If a mosh pit starts to form around me, I leave. :)

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm

@Anele @ Success Along the Weigh: Ditto! I’m not a fan of the mosh pit!

Khushboo Thadani September 17, 2012 at 8:49 am

Wow chocolate mocha sounds like a fab flavor!

Courtney September 17, 2012 at 8:51 am

I went to the “All That Music and More” festival with 98 degrees when I was like 13. I had floor seats. I thought that would be the highlight of my short life. hahaha

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm

@Courtney: Haha!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 17, 2012 at 8:53 am

Wedding cake tasting sounds like the greatest thing ever. That cake combo sounds amazing!!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

Wow that’s a lot of cake! You could have done with a few more people to help you out I’m sure! Totally agree…all about the cake :)

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 17, 2012 at 9:12 am

I’ve never been to “crazy” concerts, but I think the most fun I’ve had at a concert was at the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the TD Garden, but maybe that’s because my best friend and I got to meet them after the show! Once the concert was over we decided we didn’t want to go home so we went to the Four Seasons for drinks and it just so happened that the RHCP were staying there too! SMALL WORLD.

Beks September 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

That councert sounds INSANE! I’ve gone to very few concerts in my life, a couple Christian groups when I was a kid, Rebecca St. James (Christian singer) when I was a freshman in college, and “classical” and theater organ music concerts with my dad. The craziest concert is probably last year at Harrah’s Casino’s Stir Concert Cove when my sis and I saw Bush. I probably would’ve enjoyed it more if I knew any of their songs. :-/
    I guess I’m weird. Most of the time, I can’t justify the expense of concerts. I was supposed to go see Christina Perri in August, but my best friend either couldn’t get tickets, or she completely forgot. Who knows? LOL

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

I went to taste wedding cake for my brother’s wedding, it was so much fun! I love tasting different things AND cake is by far my favorite food. Win win.

Katherine September 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

Ahh Green Day concerts are nuts! They played at a Warped Tour I went to in college and a huge mosh pit broke out there too! I got stuck in the middle, and separated from all of my friends. It was SO scary!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

Beck was pretty crazy!! Just about everyone was smoking pot.

jen September 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

Craziest concert one: Lollapalooza 95 in Hartford, CT, when the whole grass area got torn to pieces and outta control. I was 15 at the time, and actually down in the seats, so it wasn’t so bad.
    Craziest concert two: Wu Tang Clan and Rage Against the Machine in 97, I was 17 and I have no idea why my mom let me go to this! Again, the sod was torn up, there was a giant mosh pit, and people started setting things on fire! This time I was in the grass section, scared to death, and made my boyfriend take me home before the encore because I was so freaked out.

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

@jen: I remember hearing about that Lollapalooza! A bunch of my guy friends went and said it was crazy!

Kelly@BalancedDaily September 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

Konditor Meister cakes are amazing- my mom gets the strawberry shortcake one for almost every occasion. The craziest concert I ever went to was a Slightly Stoopid concert at USF two years ago. They also cancelled the show after a couple of hours in because there were way more people then expected and everyone was going nuts. It was scary as well to say the least.

Megan@funsizedfitness September 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oh my gosh, that cake tasting looks so good! I hope they let you take home the leftovers (if there were any :) )
    The tasting for our wedding cake was only a small plate with 3 or 4 bites – such a letdown!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

oh man! I would LOVE to go cake tasting.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

Chocolate mocha sounds like a fantastic cake flavor. What fun to take part in the tasting with your friend!

I’ve never been to a “crazy” concert, I guess. But the most memorable concert I’ve been to was (believe it or not) Neil Diamond. People are DIE HARD FANS. It’s insane. A little creepy–dressing like him, etc. But fun.

Kath September 17, 2012 at 10:17 am

Loooooooove cake. That looks like a good tasting!

Dani September 17, 2012 at 10:19 am

Hey Tina,
    If you know that your diet now doesnt allow you to eat tortillas/bread products, why do you keep ordering things with them and not eating them? I’m sure it would be NBD for them to hold the bread/bun, its just kind of wasteful.

Tina September 17, 2012 at 10:21 am

Honestly, I just forget and, a lot of the time, Mal eats what I don’t.

Rachel September 17, 2012 at 10:31 am

I only went to 1 concert in my life (sad haha) and it was to see Gavin Degraw and it was kinda cool because I ended up running into him when I was on my way to my car and got his picture and autograph :) He was so nice too!

Love your dress btw! It’s really cute :)

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

That is definitely a great concert story! I went to a rock music festival (Halloweenie Roast in Biscayne Bay FL) as a HS sophmore that got pretty crazy pretty fast (moshing, fighting, things being thrown). I was also a little scared so my friend and I stayed on the outskirts of the madness :)

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles September 17, 2012 at 10:45 am

Nothing as crazy as that. But I did see Greenday on their American Idiot tour.

The Kidless Kronicles

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 17, 2012 at 10:51 am

Sounds like a fun weekend! How awesome is it to try all those cake samples! I’d be in heaven :)

Erin September 17, 2012 at 11:04 am

I went to that Green Day show, too! Only it was my freshman year of college!

Jenica September 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

Glad you’re still enjoying cake and treats. Looks like a nice day!

lauren September 17, 2012 at 11:42 am

My husband and I went to Coachella 6 Yeats ago and except for everyone being on drugs it was just huge but not too crazy. I did go to a rave on new years in 97 when I was 17 in downtown LA. Again, it was mostly drug fueled but the riot police were brought in and they were shooting rubber bullets. That was pretty crazy.

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

@lauren: Yikes!

Stellia @ My Yogurt Addiction September 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

I LOVED Country Fest! So fun, one big party!:)

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot September 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

Lady Gaga!

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm

@Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot: I bet her show was awesome!

Cari Ann @ Insane for Sandwiches September 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

Those cakes look so awesome! I dont know about Craziest concert, but most memorable one was NSYNC in middle school! I was obsessed and my mom paid a good amount of money for me to have super close seats. It was the best day of my life (at the time) :-)

Emily September 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

I also went to that Greenday show! It was my first ever concert. Very dramatic.

My friends and I went downtown right from school and we all had our backpacks and huge textbooks with us. We scoped out early seats but then it turned super chaotic. At first we danced in a circle (around our backpacks) but then I remember having to push and shove our way out of the crowd.

meghan @ struggle muffins September 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

That’s definitely an intense scene for a fourteen year old! I went to the ‘last’ Dispatch concert at the Hatch Shell in 2004ish – crazy-big crowds and it was pretty much the hottest day in the history of man so people were more than a little bit hot and bothered. Glad I went but you couldn’t pay me to relieve that experience haha

Julia September 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I was there! My mom thought it had something to do with GreenPeace. Quite a scene but I too stayed on the outskirts of the madness.

Tina September 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

@Julia: Mine too! Haha! If they only knew! ;)

Kahea September 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I don’t know about crazy-dangerous, but I’ve been to a few crazy-awesome concerts. The one that comes to mind was when No Doubt toured for their first album (Tragic Kingdom). I was in either 7th or 8th grade and ended up crowd surfing (crowd surfing!) for the first time. The crowd carried me all the way on to the stage and when I stood up, there was Gwen Stefani about 2 feet away. I remember looking out to the crowd in awe for about 3 seconds before security pulled me off and told me if I did it again, I was getting kicked out. ;)

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm

@Kahea: Ha! That’s still pretty awesome though! :)

betsy September 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I was at that Green Day concert, too! Craziness.

Simone September 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

When I was about 10 years old my sister was babysitting me and got asked out on her first date (by her now husband), she didn’t want to say no but knew she couldn’t get out of babysitting me so instead they brought me along. I was in my pj’s sitting in between the two of them surrounded by lots of tattoo clad, mohawk folk… needless to say it was an interesting adventure and its a good story to bring up at family events

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Mmm Mmm the cake and brownie sundae looks delish! My weekend was all about the farmer’s market + running + wine (oh and onion rings!) The craziest concert I have ever been to was senior year in high school with my best guy friend Drew: Eminem + Dr. Dre + Snoop + Ice Cube. Let’s just say I’m a Wannabe Gangsta! ;)

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

@Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut: Snoop! I’ve always wanted to see him in concert!

Jennifer L September 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’ve been to quite a few Green Day shows in my day… the mosh pits can get a little crazy, but I’ve never seen anything as crazy as that!

If you’ve seen Eminem’s movie 8 mile, you’ve heard of the Shelter in Detroit… it’s a little venue in the basement of a larger music hall called St. Andrews. I was at St. Andrews to see Sugarcult… and the floor broke! I guess it caved in a little and the people downstairs at the Shelter were freaking out.. upstairs you couldn’t even tell, but we were obviously evacuated. That was a little nutty.

Tina September 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

@Jennifer L: Whoa! I bet it was a little nutty! Were you scared?

Jennifer L September 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm

@Tina: You know, I don’t remember being scared. I don’t think I realized what was going on until I was outside..

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm

A day of cake tasting sounds pretty much like heaven to me!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Isn’t wedding cake just the best ever!! All of the cake pictures have me practically drooling over here. ;)

Maureen @ Organically Mo September 17, 2012 at 4:55 pm

The craziest concert I went to was back in the early 90’s. I think I was 12 and my brother took me to see UB40. Well, this girl that was stalking him at the time {true story} found us in a crowd of over 50,000 and we had to sneak out to get away from. Scary! lol

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 17, 2012 at 5:26 pm

chocolate mocha cake sounds sooo yummy! I never would have thought to include cognac in frosting.

Katy September 17, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I ALMOST got my wedding cake from them! At the last minute we chose another bakery. I sampled a bunch of their cakes and they are AMAZING! :-)

Jessie B. September 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I was at that show! I was only 12 but my friend and I went with her mom and her older brother and his friend. I don’t think my friends mom really knew what she was getting herself into! Good times…

Adrianna September 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm

my word those cakes look so insanely delicious!!
    craziest was blink 182 whe in got arrested for under age drinking (and almost for other paraphernalia). such a fun night though! although that $300 was not so fun…and nothing on a record :)

Tina September 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

@Adrianna: Ha!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 18, 2012 at 1:50 am

probably going to see phish as an adult – sober:

Tina September 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

@lynn @ the actor’s diet: Nice! I saw them back in high school. Great show!

Danielle @ A Sense of Balance September 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I was into death metal bands when I was in high school and a lot of those shows were rowdy, but the craziest was one of the times I saw GWAR. They have “pits” unlike most any other show I’ve been too. I was a tiny 18 year old, somehow fell, and the space in the massive crowd my body had taken up immediately closed and I couldn’t get my head back above people. Chalked it up to a good story and it didn’t stop me from seeing them again, but I always did get a little nervous before the show started after that.

Diana September 19, 2012 at 12:02 am

Tina,

Just wondering why you can’t eat the tortilla but you can eat the cake and brownie?

Tina September 19, 2012 at 6:08 am

Because I’m trying to LIVE my life with this disease. I’m not going to miss out on my friend’s wedding cake tasting, but passing up a boring old tortilla is probably better for my intestinal health than eating it.

Holly September 23, 2012 at 7:49 am

I went to a U2 concert at the L.A. Sports Arena in 1983, and, after planting a flag in the balcony, Bono jumped into the crowd below and was carried back onto the stage. That was the crazy!