• Breaking Out The Fall Décor

September 12, 2012

So, this morning was a tad frustrating. After breakfast, I drove to an appointment with my GI doctor, but, unfortunately, I never actually saw him because of some health insurance mumbo-jumbo.

2012-09-12_0803

Basically, I didn’t have a referral from my new primary care doctor to see my GI doc, so my visit wouldn’t have been covered by my health insurance. Annoying, but I sort of thought this might happen— and it’s totally okay because I recently switched my primary care doctor to one at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), so I could get in with a GI specialist there. I actually have an appointment with my new primary care doctor on Friday, so, hopefully, she’ll work some miracles, and I’ll have a new super awesome GI doctor soon. MGH actually has a whole Digestive Healthcare Center (including a Crohn’s & Colitis Center) and does all sorts of great IBD research, so I’m hopeful a new GI doctor will help me manage my condition (instead of just prescribing me more and more drugs to deal with the symptoms).

Since I didn’t go to my appointment, I had a couple of hours to kill before I needed to be at NuVal, so I went shopping for new sheets. (I know, my life is so exciting.) The ladies from this weekend’s bachelorette party mentioned that Marshalls has a really great bedding selection (and I’m weirdly obsessed with clean sheets and some of ours were looking pretty grubby), so I popped in on my way home to check it out. And they were right—there was lots of nice, affordable bedding, so I’m telling you guys: Marshall’s has great bedding!

Marshalls was pimped out with all sorts of autumn décor, so I also bought a “pumpkin brulee” candle. I just couldn’t resist.

When I got home, my new candle looked sad and lonely sitting on the coffee table in our living room, so I decided to break out the rest of our fall decorations, which took me about 5 minutes to put out because don’t own very many. (Christmas is a different story!)

We own even fewer spring/Easter decorations.

2012-09-12_0812

So long summer! Hello, fall!

falldecor

Have you put out your fall decorations yet? Do you think it’s too early to decorate?

A little while later, I headed to NuVal for a few hours.

EvevatorButtons

Lunch

It was lunchtime, so I packed some food to take with me: sliced cucumber, Sweet Potato Wedges, avocado chicken salad, and a fried egg.

I also brought some fresh raspberries.

Snack

My lunch held me over pretty well, but when I got home from NuVal, I sliced up a banana and added some sunflower butter and raisins for an afternoon snack.

Now, I’m off to walk the pug!

See ya!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

If I had Fall decorations I would definitely have them out now! In Florida we have Summer and Christmas. Those are our two seasons :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I wish people decorated for fall here! The odd person does a few days around Halloween but that’s the extent of it! I bet that candle smells amazing!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

all of your meals look delicious – especially lunch! love the chicken + avocado combo.

hopefully your new primary care doctor is good – sounds like MGH has a lot of good resources for colitis!

laura September 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I’ve been seen by the MGH IBD division. I hate to say it, but don’t try to get your hopes up too high – I was so excited to go there, but with my experience, they basically just prescribed more drugs. I mean, other stuff helps – diet, alternative medicine, lifestyle changes – but nothing makes you better like drugs do!

Jessica September 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

My husband is followed by a GREAT doctor at MGH for his Chrohn’s…if you need a recommendation on a doctor, let me know. He truely has been fantastic (my husband refuses meds…manages chrohn’s with diet/lifestyle changes).

Tina September 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Yes, please!!

KiKi September 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Marshall’s and TJ Maxx have great bedding!

Eating 4 Balance September 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

It’s never too early to decorate! Before I left for college in the middle of August, Hobby Lobby already had about 10 “designated” Christmas aisles. Unbelievable! But… That didn’t stop us from going down each and every one :P

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food September 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love Marshall’s! We had to buy my hubby a specific pillow for some neck issues. We went to Bed Bath and Beyond. After, we went to Marshall’s next door and found the same pillow for $8!! (instead of $30) Needless to say we took the first one back. Oh happy day=)

Kaitlyn - @runkaitrun September 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

aww this post makes me so happy! love fall!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 12, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Haha definitely too early for me, I’m still hanging onto summer! We still have a couple weeks!

Jessica Washburn@sweatismysanity September 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh good luck with your health issues. I am kinda dying to get my fall decor out but with SUPER hot Arizona weather I’m just not feeling it yet.

sweatismysanity.com

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I have a decent amount of fall decorations but sadly no apartment to put them in. In theory I could decorate my room with them but I don’t think the fall colors would match my bright blue walls very well. ;)

And I find Target has some GREAT bedding too. I took my mom there the other day to get her new sheets and new sheets for the guest room.

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings September 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love Pumpkin candles! And Marshalls has great deals on everything home, I try to stay away :)

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air September 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

That is highly frustrating about your DRs appt. Sometimes our healthcare system just boggles my mind!

I’m totally onboard with having fall decorations out already. BRING ON THE PUMPKINS AND LEAVES!! Woohoo – clearly I love fall haha

Lauren September 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

We live by Silver Dollar City in Branson and this weekend is the start of their harvest festival. Each year I use it as the catalyst for fall and come home after a long day of gathering inspiration at all of the booths and go crazy with fall decorations! Fall in September is completely okay by me!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama September 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm

You’ve got more fall decorations that us! We’ve got a grand total of 0. I don’t decorate for the seasons except for Christmas. Too much clutter for me!

Jacki Noel September 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I was just diagnosed with hyperactive thyroid last Friday and going through some of the same issues with this autoimmune disease. I left it go way too long as I thought I was going through menopause and now my stats are off the charts. It took hours to get a hold of the insurance company to get the tests approved. Sadly, the doc said no exercise except light walking until my next appt in October. My chiro is a little concerned and would like me to maintain some sort of exercise to keep my back in check. Like your earlier post, I’m trying to incorporate some yoga and not be totally frustrated that my routine has total hit a road block. Your acceptance of your health issues and determination to fix them is really motivating.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I just got an apartment, so I think I’m going to have to invest in some fall decor! So cute.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily September 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm

The only reason I haven’t pulled out the Fall/Halloween decorations yet is because it’s near 90 today and tomorrow. Next week will be cooler and rainy and perfect for bring out the fall fun :)

Corrie Anne September 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

It’s freezing in Denver today so I’m finally having to admit that it is fall!! Boo!! Lol. But I do love fall stuff! And the candle flavors are the best!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles September 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I bought new sheets at Marshalls yesterday! They have a great selection and their prices are soo low. Such a win-win

Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, Home Goods….I seriously don’t think I buy any home/kitchen related items anywhere but at these stores. I’m totally obsessed! Cute fall decorations, especially the “newlywebs” one haha.

Stef September 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I am slowly starting to put out the fall decorations, but I am having a hard time deciding where to put things! Your fall decor looks great. :)

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! September 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Definitely not too early to break out the fall decos! I’m all about it! Hope the doc situation works out soon :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I put out our fall decor this week too! All of a sudden it felt more like fall outside this week, so I went for it. We don’t have much either, but it’s fun to have a few festive things out!

Paj September 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I have the exact same sheets only with blue and brown leaves…and I got them at Marshalls too…love them!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I wish we had Fall decor…maybe I will get some this year! (We just move so freaking much, I can’t buy stuff or else we have to lug it around).

Love the wreath!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I love Marshall’s! I actually got my bedspread for law school from there. They have great stuff.

Lindsay September 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I think it is AWESOME that you have busted out the fall decor, it is my favorite time of year, and I do not have much to decorate with either:( My door still has a lavender wreath on it for AUGUST and it looks way out of place!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 12, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Oh yes, I love Marshall’s Home Goods for bedding!!

As for Fall decorations, I say anytime after Labor Day is acceptable. Speaking of, I need to pull mine out but I will wait for this weekend when the hubs can get in the attic.

Jess September 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Ahh I love fall and fall decorations. It might be a tad too early, but I’m totally using this post as an excuse to decorate.

Tina September 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Do it! :)

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm

We definitely only decorate for Christmas at home, but it was one of the great things that I always loved about elementary school — the changing classroom decorations with the changing seasons. When I think back to some early classroom days, I can always tell the time of year from the back walls I picture in my mind. It makes for some very quaint reminiscing!! :)

michelle kim September 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I love your packed lunch! It totally looks balanced and full of protein (plus everything is better with a fried egg!).
    Ooh, you’ve reminded me to pick up some pumpkin spice candles :)

Holly P. @ A Year in Wichita September 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I would decorate for fall toward the end of August if my husband would be cool with it, but he has the weird thing about no changing seasonal decor before the seasons actually change. That being said, I refuse to wait until Sept 21, so every year Sept. 15 is Fall Decorating Day. I have my first pumpkin beer on that date as I whip out all the fall decor. Ooooh, I can’t wait!

I love the door wreath, btw.

Maureen September 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I LOVE decorating for Fall! But it’s still in the 90′s here, so I might wait a few more weeks!

Jenica September 12, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Definitely not too early for fall decorations, but I’m super impressed you HAVE fall decorations! I don’t have seasonal decorations (yet) but maybe as I become more of a grown up I will acquire some. I love them.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I need to break out my fall decorations soon! I always forget about places like Marshalls/TJ Maxx/etc., but I always hear about everyone’s amazing finds! HomeGoods is great for home decor!

Kandi September 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Nope, not too early for fall decorations!! I’ve got some of my stuff out now, and I’m planning on buying some more! Fall is my favorite!

Pam September 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm

It’s September, so you can def. put out the fall decor. I love the wreath and candles!
    How do you write on some of your pictures, that’s a great addition to photos.

Maria September 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I just blogged about how I feel like the holidays come earlier every year. My husband bought me pumpkin spice coffee a few weeks ago! Definitely too early. I think I will be breaking out the pumpkin and fall stuff out this weekend now that the weather is getting to be consistently cooler.

Melissa @ Fit 'N' Well Mommy September 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm

You totally inspired and motivated me to take out my fall decorations and start putting them up! I love Fall, especially anything with pumpkin!

Jennifer September 13, 2012 at 9:01 am

I have been debating for a week now on when I can take my decorations out, and now that I saw yours, I think I’ll take them out this weekend! I always get a little sad that Summer is ending, until I remember all the fun things that involve Fall. And that means decorating and the best Pumpkin Patch in the Midwest, Vala’s!!

Kelly@BalancedDaily September 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Haha I read the first comment on this post and agreed. In Florida it still feels like summer although the humidity has gone down a good amount since August, so it is feeling much better. Still haven’t made the chicken salad with avocado but its definitely happening this weekend.

crystal September 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I love your easter eggs in the halloween, fall box hahaha