• All Of That “Diet” Stuff

September 6, 2012

Greetings from the Bolt Bus! I’m blogging on my way down to New York City right now. Hooray for in-bus WiFi!

Breakfast

I started my morning with my usual two-ingredient pancake, but this time I added an extra egg for some staying power. I topped my pancake with blueberries and a scoop of sunflower butter.

004 (640x480)

I later went back for a second and third scoop of sunflower butter—might as well finish off the jar!

008 (640x477)

The pug, of course, waited patiently by my side to lick the jar. At least he has manners, right?

005 (640x482)

After breakfast, I gathered my things, said goodbye to Murphy (and his sweet pug face), and then walked the mile to the commuter rail station to catch the train to Boston.

024 (640x480)

Commuter rail station —>;

031 (480x640)

Train ride —>; South Station —>; Bolt Bus.

040 (640x480)

Lunch

I don’t arrive in New York City until mid-afternoon, so I packed a lunch to take with me on the bus.

025 (640x480)

What I packed: a spaghetti squash-egg-coconut flour pancake on top of steamed spinach with leftover sautéed zucchini and mushrooms.

037 (640x480)

I also packed a sliced banana with honey pecan pie coconut butter and blueberries.

035 (640x480)

Omg, flavored coconut butter. Love.

034 (640x480)

Ok, so let’s talk about this “diet” stuff…

Let me start off by saying that one of the reasons I enjoy blogging so much is because I learn so much from you guys, my wonderful readers. When I blogged about Project Get Better a few weeks ago, I received so many supportive emails, comments, and tweets from all of you, which made me feel so loved—in fact, reading a number of your emails even got me a little choked up. It means so much to me to know that there are people out there (even perfect strangers) who care about me and who are routing for me to get better, so thank you from the bottom of my heart. Seriously. I appreciate it so much.

Included in all of your emails, comments, and tweets were a bunch of helpful resource recommendations (i.e. books, blogs, websites, podcasts, studies) to help me find out more about Ulcerative Colitis (UC), Paleo, and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). (Again, THANK YOU!) One of the resources that an overwhelming number of you suggested was the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo. Several of you also mentioned there was a section in the book devoted specifically to autoimmune diseases, which ultimately sold me, so I ordered the book from Amazon (on my iPhone from bed) last week. (Amazon makes it way too easy to order stuff!)

016 (480x640)

I received Practical Paleo in the mail yesterday afternoon and immediately cracked it open to see what it was all about—and I’m really loving it so far, especially the autoimmune section, which gives nutrition and lifestyle recommendations, very much like what I learned at the Whole30 seminar. I’ll talk more about the book in the future, but I just wanted to let you guys know how much I appreciate the recommendation and that I’m learning a lot and getting some great ideas from it already, which brings me to all of this “diet” stuff on CNC.

So, I have to admit, I really don’t like that I put a label on my current diet. Obviously, I think Paleo and SCD are beneficial to my health, and I know it would be easier to say “I’m eating Paleo” or “I’m following the SCD diet,” but I’m just not a fan of defining the way I eat. Instead of putting a label on it, I’m simply eating with my health in mind. Of course, this is personal and specific to my condition, so I’m playing around with how certain foods make me feel, how they affect my symptoms, and, basically, just doing what’s best for me. Even if it looks like Paleo or SCD or GAPS or some weirdo combination of them all, my main goal is to eat healthy and pick foods that will hopefully heal my body. At the end of the day, I just want to be well.

I’m sorry I’ve been all over the place with regard to my diet and what I’ve been saying about it on CNC. Ulcerative Colitis is a strange and unusual disease, and it doesn’t make much sense to doctors and researchers, and it definitely doesn’t make much sense to me, so I’m doing my best to wrap my brain around it all. The disease affects everyone differently— and diet, drugs, lifestyle, and everything else add another (confusing) piece to the puzzle. I also keep learning more and more about UC as well as the immune system, inflammation, anti-nutrients, leaky gut, probiotics, etc., so my thinking continues to change and evolve, which is why I’ve been a confusing mess on here lately. I hope you guys understand. Thank for you bearing with me as I try to figure it all out.

Khushboo September 7, 2012 at 12:18 am

Make a diet work for you, not vice versa! You’re undoubtedly going to get criticism no matter what you do but as long as you’re feeling great, that’s all that matters!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 7, 2012 at 1:32 am

How did you keep your bananas from turning brown?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 7, 2012 at 7:22 am

This all must be so confusing for you – it must be so hard to try to figure out which foods make you feel your best and which ones don’t. I hope you find a solution that works for you! :) Also I’m actually really enjoying reading about your diet changes and experimentation because as a future R.D. it will be helpful to know about diets for bowel conditions that actually work in real life and not just on paper!

Sara @ sarasmiles September 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

Don’t worry, Tina, we all know that you are not following a “diet” in the restrictive sense of the word, but rather adopting an new way of eating in order to get better. So while you don’t like labeling the way you eat, you can think of the label being “treatment” instead of a “diet.” It just so happens to be that a specific, upcoming-popular way of eating (a.k.a Paleo) is what is working for you in terms of the treatment. Hang in there!

Stephanie C September 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

That spaghetti squash pancake looks yummy! Do you have a recipe??

Erinn September 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I think it’s so great that you are sharing all of this “Diet stuff”. I think I have hypothyroidism (it runs in my family and I’m starting to have most of the signs) so I am searching for way to control it and possibly prevent it with diet after reading what you have been doing lately. So thanks for the inspiration! Hope your having luck with it all!

Odette September 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Tina you will LOVE this blog with all of these delicious Paleo recipes:

Hope you like it!

absolute health and fitness tips September 8, 2012 at 2:35 am

Can you share the recipe of your pancakes? It looks really good. I enjoyed reading your entry so much. :)

Holly September 8, 2012 at 6:27 am

I’ve just started reading about the link between autoimmune diseases and toxic chemicals in mattresses and memory foam products, like pillows, slippers, etc. If you have a memory foam mattress or pillow or if you have old foam couches that may be off-gassing flame retardants, you should get rid of them.

j3nn September 8, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I can TOTALLY relate!! My diet and the foods I eat are all over the place. I’m sure some of my readers think I have lost my mind and that I’m extremely fickle, but that’s not the case whatsoever. You see, when seemingly EVERYTHING upsets your stomach–including water–you become a bit obsessive and almost neurotic trying to find the culprit or the cure, whichever comes first. Right now I am trying everything for medicinal purposes. I don’t WANT to eliminate this or that and become a fanatic. I’d love nothing more than to know which things to avoid and then adapt from there, but when you don’t know and there are thousands upon thousands of variables, and one thing has a different reaction from one day to the next, you have to keep experimenting. It’s NOT easy! It’s frustrating and time-consuming and miserable. It’s complicated. You have to take science and personal experience and customize a solution for you. And it’s one of the most difficult things in the world. It’s not like alcohol or cigarettes that you can just avoid known problems; it’s food that you NEED to stay alive, but you don’t know which ones, in what order and in what quantity.

I know it’s cliche to say that one can’t understand unless they walk a mile in these shoes, but until you experience these reactions to food and drinks and other things, you really can’t imagine what it feels like. It feels like being a prisoner in your body. It consumes much of your day and thoughts because the symptoms are persistent and always there to remind you that SOMETHING is wrong and you don’t know what or how to fix it exactly. You want nothing more than to just feel “normal” again.

Tina, I can completely empathize with you. I am on the exact same journey. And while I haven’t been diagnosed with anything specific yet, I share all of your symptoms and frustrations. Don’t be apologetic about eating in certain styles or whatever it is because food is our fuel, our medicine, and sometimes our enemy. We’re the only ones who can figure out which foods are which and why. It’s very individual, it’s very complex. Do what makes you feel best, even if that means eating a “strange” diet by conventional wisdom standards. It’s just food, it’s not THAT weird! :)

I believe we’re going to heal and figure this out. It might take awhile, but that’s just how it goes. I really do believe our gut flora plays a major role in many, many diseases and autoimmune disorders and allergies. We live in an over-sterilized environment with many unnatural foods, chemicals, additives, and drugs. It’s no wonder our bodies are so confused and acting defensively.

I’m going to see a doctor this week that I found on the Paleo physician’s network. She already ran a comprehensive saliva hormone panel. I’m getting the results this week at her office. Maybe you can find a Paleo-friendly doctor in your area? http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/

It’s important to see doctors that want to heal the root cause and not just suppress the symptoms. Good luck and feel better!!

Tina September 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Thanks so much for the comment and Paleo physician’s network link. I hope you start to feel better soon! :)

shan@buzzinghealth.com December 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

hi,

best diet idea i have ever seen like me who needs to maintain good energy levels entire day. it is good article and useful for perfect diet planning people