• Acorn Vase Filler

September 25, 2012

On Sunday afternoon, I flipped though a Pottery Barn catalog that I had laying around the house and stumbled upon an image similar to this one:

acornfiller

Cute idea for fall decorating, right? Well, Pottery Barn is charging $14.50 + shipping for their “acorn vase filler.” I wasn’t about to pay nearly $20 for 54 plastic acorns, so Murphy and I headed outside in search of our own acorn vase filler in nature.

pugproject

Vase + votive candle

vaseandcandle_

+ acorns =

Voilà!

acornvasefiller

Breakfast

Yesterday’s breakfast was my usual two-ingredient pancake, but I used two eggs in the mix and added some almond butter and sliced strawberries on top.

I also drank a glass of Dandy Blend with canned coconut milk stirred in.

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: 2-mile walk
    • Monday: 2 mile walk + at-home WOD
    • Tuesday: ZUMBA
    • Wednesday: Yoga
    • Thursday: 5 miles
    • Friday: Off
    • Saturday: CrossFit

Where do you find most of your decorating ideas?

Pinterest is my new favorite. I’ve set up all kinds of boards with decorating ideas (room- and holiday-specific), and it’s so addictive to keep pinning ideas to them!

P.S. Check out my guest post on The Merrell Blog: 6 (Fun) Ways to Stay Fit in the Fall!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Love this idea!

BroccoliHut September 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm

What a cute idea!! I never considered myself crafty before, but Pinterest has inspired me to do a lot of home projects. I might have to pin this one ;)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

What a GENIUS idea!! Love it and so cute!

kyla September 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Oh my gosh have you ever seen this site? Too funny!

Michele September 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I haven’t read all the comments but have you done Zumba before? I don’t think I’ve ever heard you mention it. I was just really surprised to see it on your workout list. I love Zumba!

Tina September 25, 2012 at 7:33 pm

No, it was my first class! It was so fun! :)

Michele September 25, 2012 at 7:49 pm

@Tina: :) It’s addicting!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans September 25, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I love this idea! I’ve been looking for some fun but college-student-budget-friendly fall decorations (which are few and far between!) to spruce up my apartment, and this would be perfect!

lauren September 25, 2012 at 10:27 pm

When I was in grade school my mom sent my sister, the neighborhood kids and I on a scavenger hunt for acorns to make an acorn wreath (similar idea, decorate the house with nature). Within a week of the wreath’s construction, there were a TON of little worms crawling out of the wreath and wriggling down the door. Hopefully this doesnt happen to you, but just in case, keep an eye out! :)

Christine October 13, 2012 at 7:04 pm

@lauren: I had the same thing happen to me. I used acorns that my girls had gathered in the canyon. I placed them in glass vases with a candle. Within a week, I had worms in the bottom of my glass container.

Christina September 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm

such a cute idea!!! I wish we had acorns here in LA :/… But I will have to steal the idea and use something found more natively out here!

Kelsey September 26, 2012 at 12:24 am

Last year I did a vase with candy corn. It looks so cute and was basically about $2, since I already had the vase and candle.

Tina September 26, 2012 at 6:19 am

I like the candy corn idea! :)

Lauren @ Part Time House Wife September 26, 2012 at 4:37 am

You just let me know if you need acorns…. My patio is covered with them daily… Hubby blows them off and they come right back. I’m suffering the acorn plague. I’ll send you a whole box!

Angela@The Chicken Scoop September 26, 2012 at 9:01 am

Cute!!!
    I haven’t been decorating lately because I live in two apartments so I can’t be bothered. LOL. And have you read my comment I left about my cats? Anything I put out will most likely be destroyed. Now, I just decorate for parties. I have a pumpkin carving party next month though so I have to get some fun Halloween stuff. I just have to decide on a theme: Scary Halloween, tacky Halloween, or Cute Fall?
    ~Ang

Melissa September 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I wish I could find acorns outside! But I don’t think Southern California has too many of them. :)