• “99” Workout

September 13, 2012

Hey, I did something that I haven’t done in over a month. I went running!! Woohoo! This morning, I ran 3 miles with some push-ups, squats, and Burpees mixed in.

I also tested out my Reebok SmoothFlex Runs (since I had only walked in them before), and I’m happy to report they’re great running shoes—super comfy and supportive. My legs, however, were not as awesome. Let’s just say it was a rough workout and much harder than expected. Usually, running comes right back to me, but I really struggled this morning (huffing and puffing, heavy legs). I don’t normally take off so much time from running, so I guess I lost some of it. Bummer. I’ve got some work to do!

It was a tough run this morning, but a fun run. It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun!

This was a great full-body workout: 3-mile run for cardio endurance, push-ups for upper body strength, squats for lower body strength, and Burpees because they’re awesome.

I know a lot of people hate Burpees, but I love them. I also (weirdly?) love Thrusters, Box Jumps, and now Kipping Pull-Ups. Just thought I’d let ya know! Haha!

Before my run, I fueled up with breakfast, which was a two-ingredient pancake with (defrosted) frozen strawberries and cinnamon mixed in and a scoop of almond butter on top.

I also drank a glass of Dandy Blend with almond milk.

Health News & Views

Now that the summer is coming to an end and fall is upon us, I’m using this transition time (instead of waiting until New Years!) to get myself back on track after the fun (and somewhat indulgent) summer that I enjoyed. If you’re in the same boat and have fallen off the healthy living bandwagon over the summer due to vacations and too many warm-weather treats (so long, frozen margaritas and ice cream!), here are some potential challenges you might face and how to overcome them as you prepare for the changing seasons.

Weight Loss Challenges You Face in the Fall

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

Great way to incorporate strength training with your running!

Dori September 13, 2012 at 10:31 am

The exact same topic came up at work yesterday. I also LOVE burpees but everyone else seems to hate them!

Lisa September 13, 2012 at 10:34 am

You frozen margaritas and ice cream?!??! I’m not too sure you fell of the bandwagon since you look amazing! But thanks for the link:)

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free September 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

I hate thrusters but I do love pull ups, kb swings, and overhead squats.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

Way to mix it up on the run! I’m not a burpee fan though I guess actually being able to do one would help. With the thumb sprain I can’t do push ups, burpees or anything pushing on my hand. But I WILL conquer it by years end!

Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food September 13, 2012 at 10:39 am

Great article! And I love these types of workouts! i get strange looks when I jog around the neighborhood and randomly stop to do some squats or burpees, but it’s soooo worth it!

Tina September 13, 2012 at 10:41 am

Haha! I felt a little weird, but it was so fun and so worth it!

Samantha Angela September 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

@Amanda @ Eat More Rabbit Food: I know! I feel the same way. I try to do it somewhere discreet where people won’t notice (like a particular part of a trail with lots of trees)

Erica {EricaDHouse.com} September 13, 2012 at 10:41 am

33 burpess after running 3 miles? That’s crazy talk.

Ryan Gargiulo September 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

EW Burpees. I’ve done way too many of those this week at the gym. SO GOOD for you though!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

I am with you on the burpees, I kind of love them!!
    What I do not like however, is mountain climbers. I don’t know why but I dread them so much.

Tina September 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’m with ya on the mountain climbers. Not my favorite!

Khushboo September 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

Nice workout :)

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 13, 2012 at 10:54 am

Great workout! I love breaking up my runs with CrossFit Movements! It makes them funner for me and they seem to go by way quicker than if I just ran 3 miles! I get bored just running!

Tina September 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

Me too! I need something in there to mix up the miles!

Katie September 13, 2012 at 10:58 am

Great to see you in your running gear again! Brings me back to your days of run, run, running!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 13, 2012 at 11:04 am

That workout looks fun! Haha although I’d probably sun something out for the burpees… I don’t share the same love for them!

Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles September 13, 2012 at 11:06 am

Sounds like you and I had similar runs this morning. And I haven’t taken any time off! LOL.
    I am in the HATE burpees camp. But I like box jumps and pullups.

The Kidless Kronicles

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot September 13, 2012 at 11:07 am

Great article :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

I agree with the burpees! It’s a love-hate thing. I love how they make me feel strong and after a bunch, they really challenge me.

However, I do not feel that way about box jumps. Those just plain scare me!

I like the 99 workout idea though–I’m going to try it out. Thanks!

Taylor @ liftingrevolution September 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

Love burpees, even did a 50 day burpee challenge a few months ago…. 50 days, 50 burpees every day! It was awesome, got where I could do them in less than 3 minutes (with push-ups). doubt that’s possible now though, i almost died doing it then!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Oooh that looks fun! I like burpees too, actually! And thrusters are fun as well :) Gonna pin this!

Courtney September 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

Great article. I was just thinking with the cooler weather this morning, that I have already begun to crave warm soups and more hearty meals. I usually try to lighten them up or practice portion control as best as I can.

jen September 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

hey there! i’m glad i’m not the only nut who loves burpees. i also love thrusters, overhead squats, cleans and especially deadlifts. great 99 workout! i’m definitely adding that into my gym rotation – i wonder if i can substitute rowing for the running… actually i definitely think i can – just have to figure out the distance! maybe 1500m? thanks for the idea.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily September 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

Cute shoes!!!!

michelle kim September 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

Cool “99” workout! Glad it’s not called the “300” workout (with 100 of each o__O).
    Great article, too!

Jenica September 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

Good for you for getting out there with the run! Starting up again is the hardest part. It’ll come back to you soon.

Sara @ Running in Pink September 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Totally agree – the time to get back on track is whenever YOU decide, not the calendar!

kris September 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

nice workout! i love burpees too!

Teresa@ fitnwoodbine.blogspot.com September 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I gotta get on the burpee bandwagon!!!

Stellia @ My Yogurt Addiction September 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Running is hard for me if I take a break from it! That workout looks intense, but good!

Lauren September 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love that you made this run a circuit. What a fun way to break up the miles. PS- I’ll tell you I hate burpees but I secretly love them. :)

Rachel September 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

omgosh those burpees would have kicked my butt haha I have a love/hate relationship with them lol haven’t done them in forever though

Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I have to be honest and say that I actually like burpees too! Though at the process I’m huffing and puffing 😛 I think they’re so efficient and great for the whole body in general, and it packs a double punch within a few reps even.

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I lovelovelove burpees!! Right there with you! I can’t do kipping pull-ups (never tried!), but I love busting out the chin-ups.
    Half-marathon next weekend, so I’m not going to try this workout just yet (afraid of what that many burpees in a row will do to my knees/ankles — I’ve been staying away from skipping too) — but it’s definitely on the list for post-race workout fun!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings September 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I love doing workouts like this where you mix up the cardio and strength. I love burpees too! They keep me moving which I like :)

Roz@weightingfor50 September 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I still have serious “shoe envy”! :)

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I can’t wait to be able to run again (I have a knee injury). When I can – I shall be doing this workout.

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

that workout looks awesome! I am definitely a fan of burpees, too – so i will definitely be doing this one soon!

Candice September 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Love the 99.

Try doing dips and push ups on park benches. It works great!

Traci September 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I like the idea of mixing strawberries/fruit other than the banana into the batter in the 2 ingredient pancake. I love it as it is (I even got my boyfriend hooked! haha), but I’m excited to experiment with different flavor combos. I wonder how adding pumpkin would work?!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) September 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I love burpees too!!! Do you do them with press ups or lie flat??

Tina September 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Are press ups push-ups?

Kelly@BalancedDaily September 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

To me, there’s nothing worse than going out for a run and feeling like your legs are weighed down with cement. I always want to push myself to keep going, and usually end up irritated and upset. Theres a huge difference when you get back into the groove of things and feel good again, which I’m sure won’t take you too long!

Courtney September 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm

It appears as though we are workout opposites… Everything on your “like” list is on my “I have to do WHAT?” list when it comes to WODs

Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Girl you killed it! That’s awesome. You are really inspiring me lately. I’m going to try that 99 workout this weekend. It seems challenging enough to get in a great workout, but not soooo tough that I won’t want to workout 4 days later, ha! And the 2-ingredient pancake? It’s happening. Tomorrow. Yesssss.

Lynda @ Sun.Sweat.Run. September 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

That run workout looks fun, I will have to try it. I also got some Dandy Blend as I’ve been looking for a coffee substitute. I drink tea a lot but sometimes I want a coffee taste but it bothers my stomach and can be too heavy. So far so good with the Dandy Blend! Thanks for the suggestion!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Looks like a crossfit workout I could actually do no problem! I have such a love/hate thing with burpees.

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} September 13, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Looks like a fun workout, Tina!!

Jodie September 13, 2012 at 11:31 pm

We have our 1000 burpee challenge (thrusters) this weekend, raising money for cancer. I kinda like burpees in a weird way!

Tina September 14, 2012 at 10:40 am

@Jodie: 1000? Oh, boy! Good luck!

Belle @ Rebelle Fitness September 14, 2012 at 5:48 am

LOVE your “99” workout. Definitely one I need to mark down for future “on-the-go” WODs.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 14, 2012 at 7:43 am

“… and Burpees because they’re awesome.” I think you may be the only person I know to have ever said that. 😛 Looks like a good workout though! I love mixing up other workout moves into my runs. Lately I’ve been stopping at a park halfway through my runs to do circuits of push ups, planks, squats, chin ups, etc. I always feel awesome after!

Cari Ann @ Insane for Sandwiches September 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love your “99” work out! I was going to go for a 3 mile run tomorrow, and now this is something extra i can add to it! Maybe I will keep it suprise for my husband until we get to the 1st 1 mile mark ;-). Thanks!

Jessica@sweatismysanity October 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Great workout. Today was my CT day so I did weights (with my sons new weight bench…yay!), one hundred push ups, one hundred jumping jacks and 20 burppees. I’m not a fan yet (since I shredded my legs the first time I did them a few years ago), my fitness instructor had us do 100 burppees and I had no idea they were something you need to build up to. I cannot tell you how badly my legs hurt and for how long. Ha ha…good times.