• Travel-Friendly

August 13, 2012

Hi, friends!

Thank you so much for all of your supportive comments on this morning’s post. It was a tough decision to make, but I know it’s for the best. And if you don’t have your health, you really don’t have much, so I’m glad I’m giving it a try.

Snack

A few hours after breakfast, I got hungry again, so I snacked on some blueberries. I finished off the pint.

Lunch

A short while later, I headed to NuVal for a few hours. I packed a salad, topped with chunked chicken breast, to take with me. I wish I brought something more to eat because I was starving just a couple of hours later.

We didn’t have a ton of travel-friendly, Paleo-friendly/SCD-friendly food in the house when I left for NuVal, so I stopped by the grocery store on my way home. I’m really trying not to think about these diets as what I can’t eat, but what I can eat.

Snack

My afternoon snack was some cherries, a few pieces of sliced deli turkey, and handful of almonds. Sorry, no pic. I was famished and then just ate until I was satisfied.

Also on the way home from NuVal, I stopped by the mall to buy a new suitcase for my upcoming travels. (I’m going to NYC on Thursday and then to Oregon on Sunday morning.)

My old suitcase has a broken wheel, so instead of nicely rolling it through airports and train stations, I noisily and awkwardly drag it. It’s super annoying.

I usually use Mal’s suitcase when I travel, but since we’re going together to Oregon, I needed to buy my own.

So long, Ricardo! Hello, Sammy!

Does anyone else name their suitcase? Ok, maybe I’m weird.

Of course, I made sure to transfer my pug tag to my new luggage. How cute is this thing?! It always makes me smile.

Paleo/SCD friends, what do you eat when you travel, specifically snacks and eating out?

Jenni August 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’m not paleo (yet…) but I am strictly gluten free and I agree completely with other commenters that you need to be careful when eating out, you’d be surprised at how much gluten can get into your food from cross contamination or lack of awareness regarding ingredients in the food (esp things like marinades and sauces). I just started using the Find Me Gluten Free app and it’s really helpful, once again not paleo but it will help you find places that are more likely to cater to special needs diets :)

Colleen August 14, 2012 at 10:26 am

T- Almonds are awesome, just make sure they are NOT raw but roasted and unsalted. Also, I love larabars in moderation but just look at the labels to make sure they are dairy free. Alot of stuff you already eat is great like the almond butter, bananas, salads and all that. Just try to incorporate more lean meats and leafy veggies and believe it or not, you really won’t want to snack as much because the food keeps you fuller, longer. SEE YOU THIS WEEK AT CF, i hope! :)

Elise August 14, 2012 at 10:51 am

Not strict paleo, but adopting some techniques: trail Mix (cashews, raisins, sunflower seeds, almonds, craisins, dried blueberries), Luna-esque bars (that I make myself), beef/turkey jerky, fruit. And when I’m flying, I generally pack a huge paleo salad and either try to sneak on a salsa for the salad or buy a salsa/salad dressing inside. Good luck — I’ve been in a similar position for about 6 years, but my problem is is that the ‘culprit’ keeps changing, no matter what diet I am on.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats August 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

One of my best friends named her suitcase Ricardo! Haha how funny.

I am glad to hear you are feeling better :)

Melanie @ Beautifullynutty.com August 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

For snacks, I like to bring homemade dried fruit like bananas, as well as homemade fruit and nut bars or LARA bars, apples, nuts, and veggie chips if you can find good ones!

Amber August 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm

When I travel I always pack some organic gluten free beef jerky from Trader Joes. I also like to make my own trail mix of sorts with unsweetened dried fruit and macadamia nuts.

I also just wanted to say that it gets easier, A LOT easier. After a few weeks you stop missing the old foods you relied on and start looking forward to eating real whole foods that make you feel great.

Best Wishes!

Ashley Lynch August 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I always bring my lunch bag with a cool pack and my favorite coffee creamer SO Delicious french vanilla, and I always pack baby carrots, lunch meat like turkey or salami, grapes, apples and bananas, Trail mix and some mixed nuts.

You can make anything travel friendly you just gotta get creative.

Jolynn August 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Must-have traveling snack: trail mix = fats, carbs, and a smidge of protein from the nuts.

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Ah that pug tag is PERFECT for you! And I think you’re one-of-a-kind with your luggage naming ;) I’m heard of naming cards, but not luggage hahah! Although I name throw blankets, so who am I to talk?!

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre August 14, 2012 at 1:14 pm

What are you going to Oregon for? I was just in Portland to explore, eat, drink, hike, and see some wineries. It’s beautiful out there!

Tina August 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm

To see family and vacation! :)

eileen ann August 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm

glad you are feeling better, have you tried the vermont peanut butter? my daughter just bough one with nuts and dried fruit in it and some cinnamon, forgot the name but it’s on line and we just found it at whole foods.
    was in Boston this Saturday and loved the farmers market with tons of fresh fruits and veggies and all super cheap and good.

ALI August 14, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Tina,
    I agree with what everyone has been saying, but with the addition of colitis, I try to avoid certain things during a flare. Those are nuts and seeds, fruits with high fructose (can trigger GI issues- eg. apple and mango), dried fruits, and cruciferous veggies. I cook and peel most veggies pretty well if I am flaring.. This site SCDlifestyle.com is amazing, and they give a lot of free advice there, and have great wisdom about taming flares. When I am feeling well, I find there is tons to snack on- one I have not seen yet on the list is avocado pudding (tons of great recipes using cocoa powder and banana- so yummy) I also love TJ organic beef jerky (the ONLY one with no wheat in stores) and Steves Club paleo crunch cereal (almond meal and coconut based) is so good!

Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger August 15, 2012 at 6:53 am

Hi Tina-

I have been strict Paleo (with the exception of dairy and alcohol every once in awhile) for about 6 months now. The snacking and eating out is the hardest part! My boyfriend and I make homemade jerky that we pack alot, we also buy cured meats like ring bologna for a snack. Also olives travel well – nuts do too but often times people become really reliant on them. Dates and almond butter become good snacks. Sometimes I really have to think outside of the box in order to snack. Cucumbers with old bay seasoning is also really tasty!

Good luck! I hope I get to meet you Friday night so we can chat about paleo and crossfit (naturally) :)

gold price August 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm

6. Have a healthy snack–Go for a trail mix. Nuts are known to give energy boosts. A few hours after we eat lunch can cause sleepiness. What better time to indulge in a healthy snack of nuts, apples and peanut butter, berries, yogurt, or a protein bar.