• The Floor Game

August 6, 2012

When I was at the grocery store yesterday morning, I watched two little girls play a game that my sister and I used to call “the floor game.” The goal of “the floor game” was to stay on the colored tiles as long as possible as we accompanied our mom in the grocery store while she shopped. If you stepped on a white tile, you’d lose and get eaten by sharks or something. We never really figured that part out, but the challenge was to stay on the black tiles and avoid the white ones.

The floor of our hometown grocery store was mostly a black and white checkered pattern, so it wasn’t all that difficult to stay on the black tiles. Although, there were certain parts of the store where the black tiles really thinned out and then things really got tricky.

article-new_ds-photo_getty_article_117_71_92572475_XS

I actually thought my sister and I were kind of weird for playing this game, but when I mentioned it to Mal last night, he said he used to play the exact same game. (We grew up in the same town, so our families shopped at the same grocery store.) How funny is that? I guess that floor had the perfect tiles for such a game!

My sister and I played “the floor game” pretty much every time we went to the grocery store with my mom, and we played it for years. I don’t think anyone ever won, but it kept us entertained while my mom shopped.

When we were older, we played “the coupon game” where my mom basically put us to work. She’d give us each a coupon for a product and then ask us to go find it for her. This, of course, sped up my mom’s grocery shopping and kept us from bugging her!

What kind of made up games did you play as a kid? Did your parents ever keep you busy with “games” that they created?

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was my favorite peanut butter and banana wrap. I’m crazy and switched things up by putting some chia seeds inside it today.

IMG_9570 (750x563) (750x563)

After I ate my wrap, I drank an iced coffee with coconut-almond milk.

Workout

After breakfast, I headed out to meet Kerrie for a quick loop of Pond Meadow Park. The gate was closed this morning, so we started in the parking lot and ran 2 miles. It was only 77 degrees when we started running, but, holy crap, it was humid. My lungs felt like they were about to explode on the hills! I’m so glad Kerrie didn’t want to do another lap of the park. I don’t think I would have survived.

After our run, I headed to CrossFit. The first part of today’s workout was all about power. We had 20 minutes to find our maximum box jump height. Basically, we used boxes and plates to see how high we could jump in a single attempt. Surprisingly, I’ve always missed the workouts when do this, so I was excited to see how high I could jump. I mean, the highest box jump I had ever done before today was 24” during a WOD.

I worked with Kerrie and we made it up to 35 inches. I was so darn close to 36 inches! I got my feet on the plate, but I was off-balance and couldn’t stand up. And then we ran out of time. Bummer.

Mal, however, was a lot better at max box jumps. He was a jumping bean machine and worked his way up to 47 inches!

2012-08-06_1444

Snack

After CrossFit, I came home and refueled with a protein shake made with vanilla fitmixer protein powder (< ;— FYI: affiliate link), almond milk, water, and splash of iced coffee.

Every time I break out the bag of fitmixer, Murphy bugs out. The crinkling of the bag sounds just like his bag of dog food, so he always gets excited-panicked.

He jumped around and then whined a little, so I put the bag on the floor for him to examine.

He really went to town checking it out.

What a weirdo.

Lunch

A little while later, I threw together a salad for lunch. In the mix: baby spinach, tomatoes, garlic hummus, and leftover Cauliflower and Ham Gratin. It might not look it, but this meal was super filling!

Snack

As an afternoon snack. I ate a peach mango Oikos Greek yogurt with slices almonds, chia seeds, and shredded coconut mixed in. So delish. I also ate a spoonful of cashew nut butter.

Off to walk the pug and then relax. Hope your week is off to a great start!

STUFT Mama August 7, 2012 at 2:27 am

Nice job on the box jumps and nice action shot. I was admiring your Reebok shoes. He he. Mal jumped that high? Craziness. And.. may I just say that I love Murphy. That is all.

mary @ minutespermile August 7, 2012 at 5:42 am

what’s your favorite greek yogurt? i like oikos, but fage is unbeatable in my opinion!

Tina August 7, 2012 at 7:06 am

I pretty much like them all. Fage is really delicious! :)

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running August 7, 2012 at 6:50 am

I totally used to play the supermarket floor game aswell! But also used to play (and still do when I’m running) – ‘no touching the lines in the footpath’… Try it, good mind game to play when running gets a bit boring ;)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 7, 2012 at 7:50 am

I think you’re going to be hard pressed to find people who didn’t play the tile game as a kid! :) You guys are box jump king and queen!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd August 7, 2012 at 8:46 am

Do you remember the show Supermarket Sweep? When I was little my mom would tell me an item and I would ruuuuun through the store as fast as I could to get it, pretending like I was on that show. Love it.

Tina August 7, 2012 at 8:52 am

Haha! I loved that show! How fun would it be to actually be on it?!

Peggi August 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

I agree! I loved that show too!!!

Cait's Plate August 7, 2012 at 8:56 am

My sister and I played that exact same game when we were younger!!!

Sloane @ Life Food and Beer August 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

Could he really jump on top of that? It is almost as tall as him :) And I use to play the grocery store game too.

Will August 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

Great action shot and congrats on your 35″ jump! I’m a huge fan of box jumps. They really help with Parkour. Have you tried jumps holding sandbags or kettlebells?

Tina August 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

No, I haven’t. Sounds tough!

Rebecca August 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

So jealous of your box-jumping skills! I recently started crossfit and can only do the 12-inch box…and that is a challenge. Any tips on how to improve?

Sonya August 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

I used to play the floor game too! Our supermarket had jewel toned tiles so we used to imagine they were giant rubies, emeralds and saphires. So fun!

Trisha August 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

I totally played the floor game, as well as “Shop ‘Til You Drop”. Whenever my mom had a lot of shopping to do, she’d give me a few things on her list & I’d set off to find them as fast as I could, just like on the old TV show.

Zoe at A Single Magic August 7, 2012 at 11:43 am

No I love the floor game! I always used to play it. I’m an only child so I think my parents really had to get creative at times to keep me from bugging them. My favorite childhood “game” memory is my mom helping me to study for spelling tests in elementary school and me keeping focused by roller-blading around out deck! I love how kids find ways to keep life interesting.

My favorite game to play with kids, especially when you’re trying to keep them moving, is the “How does it feel?” game. I used to play this with a little girl I babysat all the time! She would dash from fire hydrant to shrub to parking sign and touch the surface very carefully to tell me what they felt like. Of course her answers were always “Purple!!” or “shiny” but I was still a great way to keep her thinking and moving!

Anne p August 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm

My parents always had me and my brother have “no talking contests” – genius, right? It usually was brought out on car tips when we were fighting. Totally using this when I have kids. Worked every time – no one wants to lose a contest!

Tricia August 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I played this game, too! And I loved it. My store had randomly colored tiles, so it was even more fun with all the bright colors. I added a twist sometimes in which I had to go from one color to a different color, but never the white. Lol that brought back memories :-) After we paid, my dad would often try to win me a stuffed animal from the crane machine. So fun.