• No Better, No Worse

August 12, 2012

Hi, guys! Just checking in to let you know how things are going with the colitis stuff. I can’t say I’m better, but, thankfully, I’m not worse either.

IMG_9911

I ended up canceling my plans for both Friday night and Saturday so I could relax, get better, and hopefully prevent a flare. Although, I have to admit I really suck at relaxing. A few times yesterday, I tried to lay on the couch and watch TV, but I could not sit still for the life of me. I actually ended up cleaning the entire house, doing laundry, changing the bedding, going grocery shopping, and working on blog/freelance stuff for 3 hours yesterday. Eventually, Mal told me to take a chill pill, so I headed to bed early to read. My friend Kim let me borrow her copy of Fifty Shades of Gray, so I got comfy in bed and read for a couple of hours. When I first starting reading it, I didn’t understand what all of the hype was about, but now that I’m further along in the story, I really like it.

My eats this weekend have been pretty boring—lots of bananas, chicken, and sweet potatoes—so I didn’t snap any photos, except one of the super delicious sweet potato pancake that I made using only two ingredients. (Ok, technically, three if you want cinnamon.) It turned out so well—moist and sort of cake-y.

2012-08-12_1534

2-Ingredient Sweet Potato Pancake

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato
    • 1 large egg
    • Cinnamon to taste (optional)

Ingredients:

1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl or food processor.
    2. Heat pan (or griddle) over medium-low heat; coat with non-stick cooking spray.
    3. Pour batter onto the pan/griddle.
    4. Cook until the batter starts to bubble before flipping.
    5. Serve with your favorite toppings.

Makes 1 pancake

This morning, I felt a little bit better, so I decided to attend Elizabeth’s bridal shower. I really didn’t want to miss it, so I ponied up and went. I’m so glad that I did because it was a wonderful event. Elizabeth looked so happy and her bridesmaids did such a great job with everything.

2012-08-12_1526

Here I am with the bride-to-be and Bridget!

Even though I’m feeling a bit better, I’m definitely not out of the woods yet with this potential flare. I still need to take it easy and be nice to my (very angry) colon to make sure it heels. Hopefully, I’ll have good news to report soon!

If you had to pick, are you generally a more high-strung or laid-back person?

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter August 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

I am definitely a high strung person. I can’t set still for anything! Hope you are feeling better!

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

I’m definitely a more high strung person. Fortunately, my husband is very laid back and balances me out :)

Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer August 13, 2012 at 8:46 am

I am a laid back person but my mom is a very high strung person. Thanks for the pancake.

Stephanie August 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

Looks yummy. Feel better.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

That sweet potato pancake looks delicious!

Oh, I am DEFINITELY high-strung! I always have a hard time just “relaxing”… I always want to be doing something productive.

Amy Thoms, RD, CDE August 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

Sorry to hear you are feeling well. UC is a &#(#$!!

Amy Thoms, RD, CDE August 13, 2012 at 10:32 am

That was supposed to be NOT feeling well in my first comment :)

Jenn @BeYOUatBeMe August 13, 2012 at 11:12 am

I’m definitely a high strung person and working on practicing calming my thoughts and body to relax more. I hope you are feeling better and recovering soon.

Alexandre August 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

About your colitis, I’m not a doctor or anything related but I really think you could benefit from a shift in your high in meat and dairy diet. You should check out this interesting documentary called ”Forks over Knives”. It’s about the China Study (mainly), that tracks diseases and correlates them with eating habits. Cancer, eye problems and colitis are just a few examples. It never hurts to see the documentary!

Meg @sassyrun August 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I love potato pancakes!! It’s bordering on an unhealthy obsession. Thank you for fueling it with this recipe ;)

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 14, 2012 at 11:41 am

It usually depends on the mood I’m in, but for the most part I’d say laid back. Unless I have something to be super excited about (like last week I was getting ready for a trip home to Massachusetts after the longest time being away) and I couldn’t sit still for the entire week. Besides that, I am A O.K. with just chilling out and watching some flicks on T.V.