• Mal’s First Yoga Class & Our Day Trip to Bend

August 22, 2012

Guess who took their very first yoga class yesterday!

004 (480x640)

Mal has talked about trying yoga for years now, but ever since he started Crossfit, he’s actually talked about it more (since mobility is key to CrossFit), so he finally bit the bullet and did some yoga yesterday morning.

Breakfast

Before yoga, I ate a sliced banana with blueberries and 3 or 4 spoonfuls of almond butter.

062 (640x480) (640x480)

The house where we are staying is just short distance from the Black Butte Ranch recreation center where the yoga classes are held every morning, so we rode our bikes there. Bike riding = so fun!

002 (480x640)

The class was a gentle, beginner’s yoga, so it was perfect for Mal and someone like me, who is just getting back into it. I noticed right away that I lost a good amount of flexibility since I stopped regularly attending classes. My shoulders were so incredibly tight during the Sun Salutations. Ugh… not good.

003 (480x640)

Mal really enjoyed the class—he thought it was tough because he was so tight—but he wants to go again later this week. Yesterday’s class definitely made us realize we need some yoga in our lives, especially if we do CrossFit so much.

005 (480x640)

Snack

After yoga, I was hungry again (because of my small breakfast), so I made myself a snack, which was roasted Brussels sprouts and zucchini, chunked chicken breast, avocado, salt, and pepper. Holy yum! I loved this combo of flavors.

006 (480x640)

I also snacked on some leftover Sweet Potato Wedges.

001 (640x480)

Then, Mal, his step-mom, and I drove to Bend. I had heard such great things about it, so I was excited to explore.

029 (480x640)

013 (640x480)

015 (419x640)027 (480x640)

025 (640x480)

032 (480x640)031 (480x640)

016 (480x640)

In Bend, Mal took a CrossFit class.

012 (640x480)

While my mother-in-law and I went to get manicures. (My nail color is I Want to be A-Lone Star.)

011 (640x480)

Lunch

Once Mal finished his WOD and our nails were pretty, the three of us headed to Brother Jon’s Alehouse for lunch.

020 (640x480)

019 (480x640)

The woman who did my mother-in-law’s manicure recommended the Alehouse and said they had awesome salads, so I ordered the mixed green salad with grilled salmon on top and honey mustard dressing on the side.

018 (640x480)

FYI: If you ever go the Ale house, the salads are seriously massive! My mother-in-law and I both ordered “small” salads, and they were more than enough food. Mal got a “large” salad and it was sort of ridiculous how much food he was served. He ate almost all of it, but still!

After lunch, we explored Bend a little more and snapped some pics by the water.

022 (640x480)

023 (640x480)

026 (640x480)

Mal and I really loved Bend, so we plan to visit again later this week. It’s such an adorable town with lots of cute shops, restaurants, and an earthy-crunchy, eclectic vibe, and it’s SO CLEAN. Bend reminds us a lot of Burlington, Vermont, but bigger, and you how we feel about Burlington!

What’s your favorite small city?

P.S. Check out the brand new WannaBeWell app from The Supplemental! It’s different from a lot of other apps because it focuses on three pillars of health instead of just two: diet, vitamins and other supplements, and regular exercise.

P.P.S. I’m hosting a giveaway to win some almond flour on Trading Up Downtown!

Anne August 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Your vaca looks like my idea of the prefect vacation! A change of scenery, lots of outdoor activity, family, and good food!

Megan@eatmybeets August 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Ah, yoga. I have a class planned for tomorrow and I’m so looking forward to it. I’ve realized that yoga once a week is just what my soul needs :-)

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy August 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm

There’s something about that open sign that just inspires me–I love rustic (or however you’d describe that)–thanks for the inspiration. I crave yoga — usually power, but sometimes a good old stretch session just hits the spot!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm

What an adorable town!! So quaint! (This might sound weird but…) It looks as though the air where you’re visiting is very fresh. I bet living there would make you instantly more relaxed with every breath.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Totally cool that Mal took Yoga! My Husband won’t exercise at all. He claims he does physical work all day and doesn’t need to exercise. Thats just crazy!!

Christina August 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hey Tina! I’m currently visiting family in Bend on vacation from Southern California and LOVE it! If you get a chance, go to Pine Tavern for dinner. It’s pricey, but well worth it. I just rated it on my blog. Lifeeyelove.blogspot.com. I hope you’re enjoying your trip as much as I am mine :)

Karen August 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I love Bend and Black Butte Ranch! I’m from Oregon and it is definitely a great spot for summer relaxation. Black Butte is also very popular with skiers/snowboarders during the winter, but you can’t beat the hot summer days and fun bike riding! I recommend heading to one of the pools around sunset and relaxing while the sun goes down.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 22, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I really need to start doing yoga too. My muscles have been so sore and tight lately!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Yoga is SO incredibly important for strength, flexibility, and alignment. I hope Mal notices a difference if he starts to practice more often. :)

Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm

There are amazing lava tubes/caves near Bend, which are unreal! You should check it out if you get back to Bend this week.

Sydney Major August 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Love the pictures from this post, it looks like my kind of place! That’s awesome Mal enjoyed his first yoga class so much, it has been a very long time since I have been to a yoga class and I miss it!

Ellie August 22, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Ohhhhh yessss….lots of lifting and strength workouts require lots of loosening up! I think stretching helps overall fitness. It’s like the cherry on top of working out IMO :D and that’s pic of Mal and his stepmom is so adorable! Hehe

Brooke @ Pretty In Protein August 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Bend is one of my most favorite places! Hope you enjoyed it!

Tina August 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Loved it so much! :)

Sarah August 22, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Bend is my favorite small city! Did you see the farmers market? It is downtown on Wednesday’s from 3-7! I just moved from Bend to Texas (for grad school) earlier this week. I HIGHLY recommend Green Lakes, if you want a hike in the area! (http://sarahlynnsmile.com/2012/08/05/green-lakes-wonder/). If you want any other suggestions for things to do in bend, let me know! High Desert Crossfit is a great box and there’s also a Barre studio!

Tina August 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Yep, we did! We didn’t shop there, but it looked awesome! :)

corrie anne August 23, 2012 at 12:47 am

Oh yoga… I tried to do it today, but my dogs wouldn’t leave me alone. I need a pedicure so bad. What a fun spot to visit. I love going to Boulder, Estes Park, and Lanesboro, MN.

Jane {In the Pink and Green} August 23, 2012 at 2:33 am

I love Bend! My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live there and we just went for a visit back in July. The downtown is so cute, the mountains are beautiful and it just seems like the quality of life there is awesome! Glad you guys enjoyed it! :)

STUFT Mama August 23, 2012 at 3:34 am

Oh… such a fun day Tina. :) Love that Mal took a yoga class with you and love that nail polish name. Ha!
    I have no idea what small town is my favorite, it’s been so long since we’ve traveled and hung out in a small town.
    Um… and yes, now I have to copy that lunch of yours. Mmm…

Emily @ Life on Food August 23, 2012 at 5:45 am

Bend looks adorable. I would love to visit. I love snacks that are just random foods thrown together. Most of the time they are the best ones of the week.

AlisonJ August 23, 2012 at 8:50 am

My husband and I stayed in Bend last Summer while visiting my aunt & uncle who live on the Deschutes River / Mirror Pond right by downtown. If you get a chance, I definitely suggest tubing down the river! I am from Burlington, VT, and I agree on the similarities! A few other places with the same style/vibe: Asheville, NC and Boulder, CO. Have a blast!

Tina August 23, 2012 at 10:27 am

I’m dying to visit Boulder! I’ve heard such amazing things!

Becky @ The Paleo Combo August 23, 2012 at 9:35 am

Yoga will definitely improve your crossfitting skills, that’s great Mal is up for Yoga… most guys aren’t!! Enjoy your vacation :)

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

The picture of Mal and his stepmom is funny and cute! Oregon seems so peaceful and Bend looks adorable and quaint. I don’t know if Id ever want to live in such a small town like that, but visiting a place like this is like the perfect relaxing vacation to slow down. What a huge piece a salmon on top of that salad! Honey mustard dressing is my number 1 favorite of all time.

Tara August 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Bend looks great! My husband and I LOVE Stowe, VT; we go every year and snowshoe.
    (I just hopped over to your post from your stay at Topnotch, love that place)

Did you know that the Shed CLOSED? That was our our Sat night staple when in Stowe. I guess their lease was up. We heard that they are looking for a new place, I really hope that when we go back, they are up and running again!
    One of the local brewery is brewing for them, so you can still get their beer at local bars, just no Growlers to take home.

Tina August 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

It did!?! Holy crap. Mal is going to be SO SAD to hear that. What a bummer!

Tara August 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I know, it was a sad moment when we found out. And the place that took over is not great.
    We have discovered a new love for the Rusty Nail though. They have great food and alot on Tap. Just go early because after 9pm, they start setting up for bands and it gets packed in there.@Tina:

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! August 23, 2012 at 11:06 am

that salad with that big ol piece of salmon on top looks YUM!

Zoe at A Single Magic August 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

That first picture of Mal is so cute! It’s awesome that he’s doing yoga. I love hot yoga because it drastically increased my flexibility in a short period of time and I was able to maintain it through regular stretching.

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction August 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I really need to get back into yoga, good for Mal! One of my favorite small cities is Portsmouth NH. It has a lot of cute shops, restaurants and tourist attractions :)

Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean August 24, 2012 at 8:01 am

So fun! I really want to take a yoga class. My local gym provides them, I’ve just never signed up. Bucket list!

Travis Ehrenstrom August 31, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hi Mal,

I’m a resident Bendite (what we call ourselves) and I wanted to thank you for the glowing review of our city.

One of my favorite things about this place is the opportunity to live an exciting and active lifestyle every single day! I’m glad you had the chance to check out Brother Jon’s (one of my favorite haunts) as well as the rest of downtown!

I grew up about 10 minutes from BBR and had no idea that they were doing yoga instruction now! Do you remember the name of the instructor? If you ever make it back I would recommend Groove Yoga based here in Bend. They have an excellent staff and are great for any type of yoga athlete.