• Last Day on the Ranch

August 27, 2012

When Mal and I arrived at Black Butte Ranch last Sunday, it seemed like we had all the time in the world to enjoy our time away, but, wow, it really ended up flying by. I can’t believe our vacation is over. We packed a lot in (family get-togethers, trips to Bend, biking, hiking, yoga, paddleboarding, golf, tennis, and pickle ball), but I’m glad it included plenty of rest and relaxation too. I definitely feel rejuvenated.

021 (480x640)

Breakfast

Bright and early yesterday morning, Mal went to play tennis with his cousin Kevin. He invited me along, but I decided to sleep in and enjoy a leisurely start to my final day of vacation. I made a two-ingredient pancake topped with peanut butter for breakfast and then drank an iced decaf Americano that Mal bought me on his way home from tennis. What a nice guy.

001 (480x640)

Mid-morning, Mal and I headed out for one more bike ride around the ranch.

012 (640x480)

The meadow is just so pretty—I needed to see it one more time before leaving.

009 (640x480)

010 (640x480)

011 (640x480)

008 (640x480)

I love the outcome specificity of this sign:

018 (480x640)

Poo-lution. Haha!

019 (640x480)

014 (640x480)

On our travels, Mal and I encountered a natural spring.

015 (640x480)

Cool!

016 (640x480)

017 (640x480)

Lunch

After our bike ride, I ate lunch, which was leftover salad greens from the previous night’s dinner with leftover roasted veggies and a few hardboiled eggs.

006 (640x459)

I also ate some pistachios with lunch.

007 (640x480)

Snack

After lunch, we said goodbye to Mal’s family and then headed to the airport. On the drive, I snacked on some dried coconut, which was delicious and totally addictive!

022 (480x640)024 (640x480)

Our first flight took us from Redmond, Oregon to Seattle, Washington.

026 (640x480)

Dinner

In Seattle, Mal and I had a 3-hour layover, so we grabbed dinner at Wolfgang Puck Gourmet Express. The last time I was in Seattle, I had a really great Black Forrest ham sandwich (yes, I linked to it because it was that delicious) from a different location, so I thought it would be a good option.

032 (640x480)

Unfortunately, the menu was really limited—just apps, soup, salad, and sandwiches—so I had a little trouble deciding what to order. I knew soup would never fill me up, but I wasn’t in the mood for a salad after eating one for lunch, so I ordered the Chicken Pesto Sandwich.

028 (640x480)

But didn’t eat the bread.

029 (640x480)

It was kind of a pathetic dinner, so I ate a Skout Trailbar that I had packed as a snack. It was made with dates, nuts, chocolate, and coconut, so it reminded me a lot of a Larabar.

030 (640x480)

After dinner, I spent some time catching up with emails and blogging before boarding our flight to Boston. Sadly, vacation is officially over.

When you fly, what do you get from the complimentary beverage cart?

I rarely drink anything other than water and iced coffee (now iced decaf Americanos), but, when I fly, I usually get cranberry or tomato juice (depends on my mood).

Khushboo Thadani August 27, 2012 at 4:37 am

I rarely drink juice but when I’m on board, I always order apple juice mixed with club soda!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 27, 2012 at 5:16 am

I’ll usually stick with water from the beverage cart, but sometimes I’ll opt for some tea. I don’t think I’ve ordered an “adult” drink on an airplane. Airplanes are scary enough for me, I like to be ultra alert and aware. :)

Danielle @ A Sense of Balance August 27, 2012 at 5:48 am

You’re pictures make me jealous. I need a vacation stat!

I’m a juice girl too. I get either cranberry or orange juice.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 27, 2012 at 6:22 am

I love to get cranberry juice when I fly too!

Erica {EricaDHouse.com} August 27, 2012 at 6:52 am

That duck sign is amazing!

I’ll get water or diet coke from the beverage cart. I *never* drink soda so it’s a ‘splurge’ for me to keep peppy on the trip!

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

Ah – this is me, exactly! I love diet soda, but try to drink it as infrequently as possible. Travelling definitely counts as a “special occasion.”

Arie August 27, 2012 at 7:06 am

I never drink soda but when I do fly a small soda is a splurge and helps my stomach feel better

Michelle (Peachy Palate) August 27, 2012 at 7:10 am

Dried coconut sounds amazing! Good call on the not eating the bread, could have been the death of you! not quite but I know it wouldn’t sit well in my own tummy! So jealous of your trip, everything about it makes it sound like my ideal getaway!

Traci August 27, 2012 at 7:55 am

Glad you had a great trip! I just needed to say that I tried your two ingredient pancake this morning, and it’s my new favorite breakfast. Yum. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it tastes like banana pancakes but much healthier! It also held together very well using your tips. :)

Marika August 27, 2012 at 8:01 am

Where can I get that dried coconut??? It looks wonderful, and I’d really like to try some!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

You’re probably going to miss your vacation — I know I’m going to miss the pictures!! The dried coconut sounds super yummy!
    On planes (as with everywhere else), I tend to stick with water. I’m such a water fanatic … it’s almost sad. But awesome! Free drinks for life!! :)

Christine August 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

Traveling with restricted diets can be challenging. Sorry you did not have better options to choose from. Sounds like an amazing trip!

Katie D. August 27, 2012 at 8:26 am

I always get hot tea when I fly! I find it soothing and it goes great with Biscoff cookies :)

Lauren August 27, 2012 at 8:26 am

I tried dried coconut for the first time a few months ago and was FLOORED at how amazing that stuff is. Who would have thought? :)

Julie August 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

I usually get something caffeine from the beverage cart. I’m not one to fall asleep on planes, never have so don’t know why beyond that, so I’m usually sipping that to get my energy going. I’ve had plenty of opportunities for drinks on the plane (Southwest gives them free on holidays) just never have gone that far to get one.

Lisa August 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hey Tina!
    I know you are cleaning up your diet for colitis and wanted to give you a bit of info that has helped me (I have two GI diseases, and two people in my family have colitis). Two of the worst offenders are coffee (it is NOT the caffeine), and any form of nuts/seeds/coconut (though not creamy nut butters).

You might want to keep those in mind during your trial (unless you are done? I’m not sure).

Hope this helps!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

I’m glad you had a great vacation! I usually just get water on the flight because I dehydrate easily, or coffee if it’s early .

Cata August 27, 2012 at 9:32 am

You are seriously avoiding carbs in your diet!!!
    Has it worked for your colitis? I suffer from the same thing so I was wondering if avoiding gluten would be a solution…
    P.S. LOVE LOVE LOVE how your body looks after months of crossfit, congrats ;)

Tina August 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m not really avoiding carbs. It’s all about the type of carbs and how they can help heal the gut/intestines/prevent inflammation. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet website has a great explanation!

jen August 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

always tomato! and, since i travel a lot and i get upgraded, i ***sometimes*** get a bloody mary. haha.

Tina August 27, 2012 at 10:16 am

Me too! ;)

luv what you do August 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

A ranch is such a great idea for a family get together. I bet everyone felt relaxed and rejuvenated when they left! I usually get water or tea from the cart, but the last flight to NYC, my mom and I treated ourselves to a glass of wine!

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise August 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ending great vacations is always hard, but I’m glad you two had a really great time. Thanks for sharing all of your vacation photos with us–I really enjoyed seeing them! When I fly, I generally just ask for water, but if I’m feeling a little wild I’ll get ginger ale or bloody mary mix (I like the spice).

Allison K August 27, 2012 at 10:00 am

I used to order tomato juice. Until I spilled it on my khaki shorts on a flight to mexico. I called for the flight attendant, because I was soaked. She took one look at me, and came back with a club soda and the biggest maxi pad I had ever seen. I thought she misunderstood the situation! I started protesting, and she told me that the maxi pad was the most absorbent thing they had on the plane. She told me to follow her to the bathroom.
    I should add, that I was 13, so following a flight attendant carrying a huge pad, with a gigantic red stain on my crotch, was pretty much the most mortifying experience (at that time) of my teenage years.

Samantha Angela August 27, 2012 at 10:24 am

I always get ginger ale because I pretty much always feel nauseous on planes. I don’t know if the ginger really helps. I think it’s a placebo thing.

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 27, 2012 at 11:44 am

@Samantha Angela:

Me, too!! I always get water or ginger ale because I am I feel like it helps with the air sickness. I hate taking dramamine because it makes me so very sleepy.

Alaina August 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

@Samantha Angela: I am the exact same way! I always get ginger ale, without fail.

Beks August 27, 2012 at 11:14 am

Depends on how I’m feeling, but most of the time, it’s tomato juice or Ginger Ale. I never drink Ginger Ale at home, so it feels like an airline treat. No idea what that’s about. *shrugs*

I tried the two-ingredient pancake today, only I mixed my nut butter into the batter (had a recipe on my Kindle), and it turned out really well! Now I know why you eat them so often! Definitely gonna keep using that recipe. :-)

Jess August 27, 2012 at 11:16 am

Looks like you guys had a blast on vacation! I always get ginger ale, which is weird because I NEVER drink soda. That’s literally the only time I drink it :P

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 27, 2012 at 11:45 am

That new bar sounds really great! I love anything with minimal ingredients! Coconut flakes make such a great snack! I love toasting them with a little coconut and having them on hand for the week!

Kim August 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

Your vacation pictures are beautiful! I was just wondering where you bought the the Dried Young Coconut? It sounds so yummy.

Tina August 27, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I think Mal’s family got it at Costco.

Mary August 27, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I always go for something bubbly on planes, either Diet Coke if I feel like I need caffeine or a ginger ale. I rarely get water because I almost always already have a huge bottle with me!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I try to get lots of water when I fly – it dehydrates me so much!

Alyssa @ Science and Seitan August 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Can you believe I’ve never flown?! Time to change that, huh?

Your pictures are absolutely stunning! Have they been edited or was the scenery just that gorgeous? The ranch looks like the perfect place to go horseback riding…

erica August 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm

lately i’ve been getting a ginger ale! :) i used to always get apple juice or water…

Annette August 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

When I fly, it’s usually water or ginger ale. Sounds like a great vacation, LOVE, LOVE the first picture of the wildflowers with the water behind it, it looks so peaceful!!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Loving the pictures from the ranch, I wouldn’t want to leave! The first picture with the flowers is my favorite :)
    Dried coconut?! Yes, please!

Jess August 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I always get ginger ale…I just love it on an airplace. Last time I flew with my husband, he got the cranberry juice and we made a little cocktail out of the two…yuM! :)

Sara August 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm

wow the pictures have been gorgeous! glad you had time to rest…
    omg I tried the two ingredient pancake for the first time and it was awesome!! I used mashed sweet poatato instead of banana though….

BroccoliHut August 27, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I just flew today, and I was so excited to have my favorite in-flight snack: tomato juice + peanuts. I hardly ever buy tomato juice at home since it’s so salty (even though I love it), so I like having the portion controlled serving on airplanes.

Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Finding satisfying and healthy food at the airport can be so tricky and frustrating! I’m actually adding this comment from the Detroit airport now! From the beverage cart, I usually go with club soda or water.

Aimee August 28, 2012 at 1:28 am

Can you comment on how iced decaf americanos are significantly different than iced coffees? I guess I’m just not seeing the distinction, other than the caffeine factor, which I don’t think is the only reason why they say coffee is a no-no with colitis.

Tina August 28, 2012 at 8:56 am

There’s no caffeine in it, which is the main culprit in inflammation and espresso tends to be easier on the digestive system than coffee. I don’t think espresso is the best thing for UC, especially during a flare, so I don’t plan to drink it all that often. It was a nice treat on vacation.

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 28, 2012 at 9:29 am

I almost always get water unless I’m in the mood for juice in which case I’ll grab some orange. Lately I’ve been flying Jetblue which gives you a snack choice too of a bunch of different snacks; blue chips, nut mix, chocolate chip cookies- so of course I always pick the cookies. Mmm. Glad you had a good vaca!

Siobhan McCarthy.ca August 28, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I’m a coffee, tea and red wine kind of complimentary girl! I became addicted to americano’s on my trip England, so delicious!

Kristen August 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Your photos are amazing! (Especially the paddle-boarding excursion) What kind of camera were you using?

Tina August 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks! I use the Canon S95.

Erin @ erinberries August 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I always get orange juice when I fly, but I never drink it at home. Weird.

Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full August 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I used to always get Coke, but now I get sparkling water! It feels fun and festive and is better for me than a soda.

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 30, 2012 at 12:28 am

I normally ask for a bottle of water (they only give you half a dixie cup…ok, that’s dramatic) since they make you dump everything at security. Other than that, I never ask for anything since I usually bring my own snacks.

Those views are incredible, what an amazing bike ride :)

Jen September 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I get tomato juice–the airplane is the only place to get Mott’s tomato.