• First Morning on the Ranch

August 20, 2012

I slept like a rock last night, so I woke up bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, and totally refreshed this morning. Hooray! After the past few days (travel, Reebok event, travel, HLS cocktail party, Whole9 seminar, travel), I really needed it!

008 (480x640)

The house where we are staying this week is so adorable—very rustic!

010 (640x480)

013 (640x480)

014 (640x480)

018 (640x480)

019 (640x480)

020 (640x480)

024 (640x480)

025 (480x640)037 (480x640)

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was eaten in a few different pieces. I started with a banana with almond butter—I went back for another big scoop of nut butter.

036 (640x480)

Then, I ate an egg.

047 (640x480)

And then some blueberries.

048 (640x480)

I also made myself an iced vanilla chia tea “latte.”

044 (480x640)

028 (480x640)

I brewed some super strong tea last night, chilled it in the refrigerator overnight, and then added almond milk to it this morning.

031 (640x480)

I also wanted to add some cinnamon, but I hesitated when I saw the 1970s-looking ground cinnamon in the kitchen cabinet.

041 (480x640)

Ok, it’s actually from 1988. Haha!

042 (640x480)

Instead of cinnamon, I added some ground ginger and cloves. (I wonder how old they are?)

043 (640x480)

Off to ride bikes and explore!

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

How cute! Looks like a wonderful time :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Cute house! I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing time.

Candice August 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm

looks cozy!

michelle kim August 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hope you have a great time exploring on bike! And you’re right… that cinnamon looks super old, hehe.

Ellen August 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

LOL at the cinnamon! It’s as old as I am.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I usually don’t pay much attention to labels on spices, but 1988 is probably pushing it. Especially when the cinnamon was born the year before I was – a little unnerving! :-)

Annette@FitnessPerks August 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Looks like a fun, cozy house! ENJOY your vacay & bike exploring!

Khushboo August 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Woo hoo for 1988 babies :)

Lea August 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Looking forward to your post about Whole9 seminar. I’m in the midst of the Whole30 right now. It’s surprising easy…thought I’d miss brown rice, whole grain pasta, and yogurt but I’m thoroughly satisfied with recommended food.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I LOVE rustic-looking places like that. So comfortable and home-y. If I ever have a home in my beloved state of CO, that’s what I’d like it to resemble–well, with big windows looking out into the mountains. :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

LOVE the ranch! So warm and cozy. Have an amazing time today, the views in Oregon when biking on the trails are incredible :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

That house is adorable! I love rustic style cabins. And I also love to make chai lattes! I got a frother last winter and made them all the time!

Jess August 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That house is ADORABLE. Looks like an awesome vaca!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yikes on the cinnamon, lol!! Did the other spices not have a use by date on them?

Glad you are feeling well rested!!

Roz@weightingfor50 August 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’m not proud to admit it, but I bet a couple of my jars of spices go back as far as the cinnamon. EEEK!!!

Rachel August 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

That cinnamon was born when I was LOL!

Jess August 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm

McCormick stopped selling spices under the Schilling label in 2002… so it’s at LEAST that old. ;) Still… probably not as old as the cinnamon!

Tina August 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Ooohhh, no! Haha!

Steph August 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I love chai tea. I wish coffee shops served almond milk. **sigh**

Michelle (Peachy Palate) August 20, 2012 at 2:56 pm

The house is so cute! Reminds of the house from that programme Harry and the Hendersons!

Mer @mersworld August 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Isn’t the best part about renting a vacation home checking out the spices and items left in the cabinet! It’s always a fun start to our family vacation- mostly so we know what we need to buy, but also to determine the oldest spice in the house! Have a great vacation!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Have fun exploring!!! LOL @ the cinnamon, it probably would have come out in clumps or tasted like ground dirt. Gross.

mary @ minutespermile August 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

ancient herbs are good for you, right?! just like a fine vintage wine.

Ed August 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Wow what a cool looking spot. I would love that but not sure if the wifey would lol…

Kim August 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi Tina!

Have F-U-N exploring Oregon! I’d LOVE to hear what you thought of the Whole 9 Nutrition Seminar. I’m currently reading the book “It Starts with Food.”

Kim

sue August 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

That 1988 is the copyright date of the labeling on the cinnamon bottle, not the mfg date.

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Love it! I want to be on a ranch right now – great change of scenery. :)

Sarah Beecroft (sarahbean) August 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Hi.. lurker and first time poster here.

Just wanted to let you know that the year next the the copyright symbol is an indication of when the copyright was established and not how old the cinnamon itself is so it’s probably safe. :)

Amanda August 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

That is the cutest little ranch! Love it!

Beth @ Running with the Sunrise August 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

When I’m spending the day at home I eat all day like you did your breakfast–eat a little, see if I’m still hungry a little while later, maybe eat some more, repeat. It’s nice to be able to graze all day.

Your cabin/house is really cute! I hope you’re enjoying your stay!

Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident August 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Such a cute place!

Your so clever with drinks!!

Angie August 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

The cinnamon brand was copyrighted in 1988! That does NOT mean this box was manufactured in 1988!!!

Brianne August 20, 2012 at 7:59 pm

@Angie: Did you seriously think that copyrighted date was the manufactured date? I thought you were joking but I wasn’t sure. :)

kalee @ SoreyFitness August 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

It’s such a cute house!! I hope ya’ll have a great, relaxing time! :)

Meghann August 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Awww I love Oregon. I grew up going to Bend in the summer. My husband and I lived in Coos Bay for a year. Eugene and Portland are both fun. I hope you have a fantastic time. Love love love Oregon – I hope that is where we move next.

Anne August 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

That looks like so much fun, what a great break from the norm! That cinnamon is too funny, haha

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 20, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Looks quite and relaxing! Enjoy your time!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

What what a wonderful cabin! It’s so adorable and breakfast looks amazing!!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 20, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Aw the ranch is so cute! I love rustic getaways like that :) Hope you guys are having a blast!

Jule @ The Wife Thing August 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm

What a cute ranch!! The 1988 is the copyright, not when it was made so I’m sure your okay to use it :)

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy August 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I LOVE that tea! Yum.

I am struggling a lot with being away and trying to keep my eating “normal” when I don’t really know what normal is! Do you just make a point of packing food (a cooler?) or hitting up a grocery store when you get somewhere? I can’t seem to plan well…

Tina August 20, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Both! I packed food for the flight and then hit up a grocery store when we got here.

corrie anne August 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Wow 1988 cinnamon!!! That’s so crazy. What a beautiful place to vacation!!!

brooke avila August 21, 2012 at 1:10 am

The ranch looks SOO cute and quaint! I love it!

Marie August 21, 2012 at 2:59 am

i LOVE black butte ranch! I’m so glad you get to see it too. I would highly recommend climbing black butte– its a great hike with gorgeous views. Also, if you’re health is good, I’d recommend making the 40 min drive into Bend to see some of their breweries. 10 Barrel has tasty beers and awesome pizza :)

Ksenija @ Health Ninja August 21, 2012 at 8:00 am

Sounds like a perfect vacation – much needed. And I do love the idea of the chilled Chai Latte – have to prepare some today to try it tomorrow morning.

Kelly@BalancedDaily August 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

What a cute little cabin! I love the woodsy feeling of staying in places like that. It makes you feel at one with nature- so much more “homey” than staying in a big hotel.

dcerosion August 23, 2012 at 5:48 am

i LOVE black butte ranch!