• 5K Race for Redemption

August 4, 2012

So, do you want to know the good news or the bad news first? Ok, I’ll decide for you. Let’s go with the bad news first since the good news is really good.

Bad news: I didn’t break 24 minutes. Wah.

Good news: I PR-ed and placed 3rd for women and 8th overall! Ok, there were only 71 participants (both runners and walkers), but, hey, it’s still makes me happy!

IMG_1529 (1024x765) (800x598)

The First Annual 5K Race for Redemption started at Braintree High School, where I hear there are some pretty amazing teachers, especially in the History department. It was a small race, so picking up my bib and t-shirt took no time at all. No line, no wait.

I had about 30 minutes to kill before the race started, so I used the bathroom inside the school and then stretched my legs and lower back, which were suddenly tight and sore from yesterday’s Squat Cleans. It’s like they knew I was about to run a race!

IMG_1521 (1024x765) (800x598)

The race route started out on Granite Street toward Five Corners and then took a bunch of right turns to make a loop back to the high school. Off of Granite Street, it turned right onto Franklin and then right on Washington Street, another right onto Pond Street, and then finally a right back onto Granite Street to finish the loop. It was mostly flat with a few hills on Pond Street, but nothing too crazy. I’ve definitely experienced worse!

IMG_1524 (1024x765) (800x598)

I always wear regular running sneakers for races, but, today, I wore my New Balance Minimus 20s, which seem to help me run faster or at least not as “goofy,” according to Mal. The minimalist style prevents me from heel-striking like a madwoman, so my running is more efficient. The Minimus 20s are also quite a bit lighter than regular sneakers.

FYI: It’s taken me nearly 7 months (aka since I started CrossFit) to be able to run long-ish (3-5 miles) distances in these sneakers. Minimalist shoes are usually an adjustment for runners (even experienced runners), so it’s important to transition cautiously and work your way up to longer and longer distances.

IMG_1526 (1024x765) (800x598)

Anyway, back to the race recap!

About 5 minutes before race time, the race director reviewed the course, warned us about the hills on Pond Street, and recommended that we drink a lot of water because we’d be “blazing” by the end. I love his use of the word “blazing.” Haha!

IMG_1527 (1024x765) (800x598)

Having everyone line up for the start of the race took a matter of seconds, which was so different from the races I’ve run in the past. I mean, I’ve stood in a corral for 30 minutes waiting to start a race on more than one occasion. It was also kind of nice being so close to the start line when the gun went off.

IMG_1530 (1024x765) (800x598)

At 9:00 on the dot, we went off running. My plan was to push myself in the beginning and try to keep up my pace for as long as possible. I figured if I could make it to mile 2 with two sub-8:00 miles, I’d be able to push through to the end. Well, my plan sort of worked. My first mile was 7:34, my second mile was 8:09, and my third was 8:06. (My Timex GPS watch was 11 seconds off from the race clock, so my splits aren’t accurate.) As you can see, I just couldn’t keep up my pace for the second and third miles. The heat was absolutely brutal, so it definitely affected my running. I’m a little bummed that I didn’t break 24 minutes, but I honestly gave it everything I had and no one who ever gave their best ever regretted it. I finished in 24:22, which was an average pace of 7:51. Next time, 5K!

IMG_1533 (1024x765) (800x598)

And you know what? I PR-ed!!! Did I say that I already? Ok, I did, but it’s still awesome.

IMG_1537 (1024x765) (800x598)

IMG_1546 (765x1024) (598x800)

Lunch

It was only 10:30 by the time I got home and showered, so I made myself an early lunch, which was a salad topped with sliced deli ham, homemade croutons, balsamic vinegar, and truffle oil.

005 (640x480)

I also drank a celebratory iced coffee with coconut-almond milk.

008 (480x640)

012 (480x640)

Thankfully, despite having ulcers on his eyes, Murphy hasn’t lost his appetite one bit.

013 (640x480)

After lunch, I headed to the mall to do a little shopping. I stumbled upon an adorable sign with a fun quote from Julia Child: “If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.” Just wanted to share. I wish it came in a different color because I totally would have bought it for our newly painted kitchen.

016 (640x480)

Snack

After my shopping adventures, I came home and snacked on some pickles wrapped in deli ham. Random, but delicious.

020 (640x480)

I also grabbed a plum to snack on.

022 (640x480)

Last week, I received an email from ZOOMA with a bunch of questions about race t-shirts. Basically, they want to know what kind of t-shirts female runners most prefer, so they can offer the best ones to their race participants.

Here’s the t-shirt that I got from today’s race:

023 (640x480)

It’s not the greatest shirt I have ever received, but it’s only the first year of the race, so I’m sure there wasn’t a huge budget for t-shirts.

My favorite shirts from races are either tech/sweat-wicking shirts (short or long-sleeve) or cotton long-sleeve shirts (like the one I got from the Cohasset Race by the Sea 10K), which I tend to wear a lot in the colder months. They’re so comfy and go well with my laid-back, jeans and t-shirts wardrobe. I also really like colorful shirts. White shirts are fine and all, but I tend to wear the ones with color more often. Plus, white shirts get grubby so quickly.

What kinds of shirts do you prefer from races? Have you ever purchased a shirt from a race (outside of the one that comes with your registration)? If so, what kind of shirt was it? What does your favorite race shirt look like?

P.S. I’m on the search for another 5K to run, so I can break 24 minutes. Local runner friends, if you have recommendations, please let me know!

Kim Cash August 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

Check out http://www.neilshapiro5k.com. The race is 9/29. Beautiful course (Deer Island in Winthrop along the water) and for a great cause. Congrats on the PR and good luck on your quest to beat 24:00!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 5, 2012 at 8:52 am

Congrats on PRing! You’re so close to reaching your goal – I’m sure you’ll do it at your next race! :D

Also that was smart to work up to longer runs in those shoes! I jumped into running in my semi-minimalist shoes way too quickly and I’m pretty sure that has a lot to do with the knee problems I now have to go to physio for! :P

Lori Lynn August 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

Congratulations on the race!!

Lauren August 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

How did you go about getting used to the shoes? Do you like them now or just like to use them because it’s good for you? My own experiments with minimal shoes haven’t been the greatest. Also, do you prefer tiny little hometown 5ks or big ones?

Tina August 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

It’s taken me a good 7 months to increase my mileage in them. I just gradually increased my distance by a little bit every few weeks. New Balance has some great info on their Good Form Running website, which might help too: http://www.newbalance.com/running/good-form-running/61000,default,sc.html

As for races, I like both kinds of 5Ks. They’re fun for different reasons! :)

Danica August 5, 2012 at 9:48 am

congrats on such a great race! that time is cruising!!

Alaina August 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm

My parents and I run the CVS 5k in Providence every year and it’s one of our favorites. The race bags are filled with CVS products and there’s always such a great vibe around the race start. There’s a lot of runners but it doesn’t really feel cramped.

Laura August 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I love colorful tees from races, preferably long sleeve since I never have enough. Tech shirts are nice but I got one once and it must have been really cheap because it smells terrible! So it depends
    On the shirt!

luv what you do August 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Congrast on the PR! Thats awesome!
    I love smaller community races where I place well and sometimes even get a medal : ) I just got the cutest shirt from the Rugged Maniac this weekend. I wasn’t able to run because I broke my toe (so sad!) but the shirt will gear me up for the race next summer! Hope Murphy is feeling better soon!

Dee August 6, 2012 at 10:53 am

Congrats on the PR!!! How often did you rotate your Minimus with your old running shoe? I’m trying to integrate mine, and could use some advice as it’s affecting my running.

Tina August 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hmm… it depends on the run. On shorter runs (anything less than 5 miles), I wear my Minimus, but for longer runs, I wear my regular New Balance sneakers.

Heatheresq August 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

This is me being a dummy but I totally didn’t realize your name was CHRIStina! HAHA. Learn something new every day. And at first I thought that was you with the back tat!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd August 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

You should have thrown some cream cheese on that pickle and ham…that’s a wondermous combo!

Alicia@behealthybebalanced August 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Congrats on your PR Tina! I would recommend the Jamie Cochrane Race in Quincy on Sept 9th. There are 5K and 10K options, but both courses are flat. And the (at least the past few years) they have given long sleeve Ts! :) Hope to see you there

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop August 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Congrats on the PR!!!
    I agree, I like tech shirts and colors. I paid extra once for the tech shirt (over cotton) and I was upset because 1) It was a men’s cut and was HUGE even though I got a small and 2) it was a blah looking blue while the cotton ones were bright yellow!
    My favorite shirt I wear is from the 2011 Philly Rock and Roll Half Marathon!
    ~Ang

Jessica August 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm

5k in East Boston September 16th! It’s a musical 5k – music all along the course and runners dressed as rock stars – what more could you want?! I’ll be there! http://runtothebeat.eventbrite.com/

Becki @Fight4Wellness August 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

I don’t have any recommendations for races, but it’s great to see the other recs since I’m local!

I prefer moisture-wicking shirts from races and have never bought an extra shirt, though I may start so I can make race-themed pillows from them. My aunt made me some throw pillows using old t-shirts from plays and musicals I was in and I think race-themed pillows might be a great addition.