• 45-Minute Power Walking Workout

August 29, 2012

Before dinner last night, I headed out for a walk. I grabbed my iPhone, headphones, my new sneakers, and got my booty moving!

Reebok recently sent me a pair of their SmoothFlex Run as part of a new campaign they are doing with Fitfluential. They’re intended for running (I can’t wait to try them out!), but I took them for a power walk instead.

How cool are these babies? I absolutely love the colors! Neon, gray, and purple? LOVE!

Right away, I liked walking in these sneakers. Usually, it takes me a few times to break in a new pair, but these immediately felt comfortable on my feet. As I walked along, I actually kept thinking how great they felt—really cushy and comfy. They also had a nice balance of support and flexibility.

I like these sneakers a lot, and I can’t wait to try them out on a run next. I’ll let ya know how it goes—walking is one thing, running is another!

Workout

Before I left the house, I created a 45-minute walking workout, which incorporates four different speeds (easy, moderate, power walk, and fast) as well as walking lunges.

I was surprised how much I sweat during this workout. I forgot how tough power walking can be! If you really push yourself on the power walk intervals and don’t rest during the walking lunges, it’s a serious workout!

Dinner

Last night, I roasted a chicken for dinner. A few of you said cooking a whole chicken is kind of intimidating, and I assure you it’s actually pretty simple. If I can do it, anyone can! Even though this is a CrossFit iced coffee pug food blog, I’m not much of a cook and everything you see on CNC is easy to make. I swear!

Here’s a quick how-to for basic roast chicken (3.5 – 4 pounds):

• Heat oven to 450° F and then remove the bag of giblet thingys from inside the bird.
    • Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
    • Tuck the wings under the chicken and place it a large roasting pan.
    • Rub the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    • Cook for 50-60 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into one of the thighs registers at 170°F.
    • Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before carving.

easy_roast_chicken

This is a very basic recipe, and you can get all crazy and add veggies (potatoes, onions, peppers) and all sorts of flavors (garlic, lemon, fresh herbs) to your bird. I just chop up and season the veggies and place the chicken on top of them before I put it in the oven. There are a ton of different ways to give the chicken flavor, but I usually keep it simple by either seasoning the veggies before I add them to the roasting dish or rubbing garlic, lemon, herbs, etc. all over the chicken before cooking it. I promise, it’s easy!

For my dinner, I paired the chicken with sautéed spinach and mushrooms.

I guess I should have eaten more dinner because I was hungry just a little while later, so I snacked on an orange.

And then some dates along with a spoonful of almond butter straight from the jar.

Health News & Views

You might think healthy eating is boring, and it can be if you stick to raw veggies and plain chicken breast. But if you’re willing to think outside the box and experiment with different flavors—I’m talking various spices, condiments, and fresh herbs—you can really boost the flavor of your favorite healthy dishes. Here are eight flavors I’m loving right now. They’re guaranteed to add some excitement to your next meal without adding a lot of calories or fat: 8 Ways to Boost Flavor, Not Calories.

Questions of the Day

What colors are you loving for athletic gear right now?

How often do you incorporate power walking into your workouts?

P.S. A few of you asked what my grocery shopping list looks like now that I’m eating a SCD/Paleo diet, and I blogged about it over on Trading Up Downtown (minus the cottage cheese, which Mal will eat).

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Can’t wait to try the workout – I *love* walking! The bf and I try to walk after dinner a few nights a week.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I probably should do more power walking! I bet it would help keep any over-usage injuries at bay.

My favorite colors for workout gear are bright pink and bright blue. I work out very early in the morning–I need colors that wake me up!

Erin August 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I walk every day! I struggled with some health issues just like you and cutting back on crossfit for a while and just taking walks every day for my “work out” REALLY helped me recover…it’s hard to take a break from something you enjoy so much but I promise it’s worth it!

robfiasco @ run2thehills August 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm

how many pairs of sneakers do you think you own?!!? haha!

Tina August 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm

A lot! :)

Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee August 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I power walked for the first time in ages last week and I’d forgotten what a great workout it can be! I definitely need to do it more often.

Khushboo August 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Ive started embracing incline walking and it sure can be a workout!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats August 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Haha when I actually power walk I realize how hard it is! Lol and I was going to say that didn’t seem like much of a dinner before you noted how you were hungry after. That roasted chicken looks soooo good though!

Erin @ erinberries August 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I just bought some cute running shorts at Target yesterday. I love their active wear! Everything is bright and colorful!

Roz@weightingfor50 August 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’ve got SERIOUS shoe envy!!! I wonder if there is a support group for that!!!

mary @ minutespermile August 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm

oh, those are cute! i’ve never run in reeboks and don’t know many serious runners that do. what do you think? marathon material, or more like 4-6 milers? they look sort of wide.

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I tend to do more run/walk intervals than straight walking. For some reason, walking fast(power walking) tends to give me shin splints. I can never figure out why?!

Meaghan August 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Just a tip for the roast chicken… don’t forget to take the bag of gross giblet thingys out of the bird before roasting :)

Tina August 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

OH YEA! GOOD CALL! I totally forgot to mention that! Thank you!

Laura August 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’m still a fan of pink for workout gear. It’s probably a little passe, but I still love it!

Sarah Z August 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I think I will get my mom to try the walking workout – thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to hear about the shoes for running. They look cushiony!

Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hot pink = totally my power colour. I rock it as often as I can. It always makes me feel like I’m succeeding. I don’t know exactly what it is about the colour, but it makes me want to run faster/lift heavier — I just roll with it! :) Loving the combo of colour on those shoes though!! I’m looking for a new pair to roll into my rotation — looking forward to your review!

Power walking frustrates me!! I feel as though I can’t get it right and whenever I set out to power walk, I always end up running!!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been doing some walking lately –recovering from my Half IronMan on Saturday–and it does feel good! I like walking a lot!

Those shoes rock! I am ALL about bright colors & sweet kicks :)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Omgness that chicken looks moist and delish!!! I don’t know why I don’t roast it at home, but now I’m inspired to do it. And perhaps it’ll end up saving money….I hope? :P And I cannot believe how FAR REEBOOK HAS COME in the past year or so! Am I the only one who’s amazed? I remember when I was a kid, they were pretty popular but all of a sudden it’s like they disappeared or somethin’. And now they’re back with power, hah!
    Although I’m not a fan of neon colors in clothes and “big items”, I’m really liking the neon concept on shoes. It adds such vibrancy and personality to an outfit. :D

Stephanie August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Oh man, the easiest ‘recipe’ I have ever used for roasted chicken is as follows: Put frozen chicken into the crock pot in the morning before work with a cup of water and maybe some onion, garlic, herbs, etc. Set on high for 8 or 9 hours. Come home to delicious cooked chicken! Same as your recipe, you can throw in potatoes and veggies if you like, too.

My biggest issue that prevents me from cooking chickens is that I never remember to take them out of the freezer to defrost them, so this is PERFECT for me.

dana August 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm

power walking = serious shin splints for me!
    i do more of casual walking with my dog, or I have to jog to keep my shins happy.

Jody August 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm

That chicken looks delicious, but that portion wouldn’t be enough to fill me up either! I found that since cutting out a lot of starchy foods in my diet, I really need to increase the portions of my protein. Try it and I promise you won’t be hungry right after a meal….I hate it when that happens!

Annette August 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I love all of the bright 80’s neon colors, bright yellow, bright pink and bright torquoise are my faves. I get bad shin splints when I power walk, and sometimes when I run, so finding the right shoes is key. I actually just bought a pair of those same Reeboks, but mine are the bright blue ones. I LOVE them, they felt like my old comfy tennies, but with more cushion :)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Love neons for workout clothes – the more I resemble a highlighter, the better. :-)

Chase August 29, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The first time I roasted a chicken, I tried to pull the baggie out through the neck and could not figure out why for the life of me it wouldn’t fit through. Then I roasted it upside down and tried to carve the “breast” which was really the underside. Oops! Now I’m a better pro :)

Tina August 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Haha! The first time I made roast chicken, I left the oven on overnight. Oops!

Kristen @ The Balanced Bowl August 29, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I really like the bright coral or hot pink paired with black trend in athletic gear right now.

Thanks for the easy chicken recipe. I have to admit, I have never tried an entire bird for the same reason. I always figured it was complicated and I’m just not a complicated cook. But you have convinced me to give it a try. Thanks! :)

jen August 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm

i love the new sneakers! i probably have 10 pairs, but i actually wear them all, so i don’t feel too bad about it. ha! my most recent purchase was a pair of adidas (my favorite for cross training) in almost the same colors as your new ones. except only pink and gray – so instead of neon laces, pink. my very favorites ever are bright orange-y red and i am a little ashamed to say that i went back and bought 2 more pairs that are sitting in my closet waiting to be worn when the first pair wears out! i get lots of compliments though, so i think it was the right decision. :)

Alyssa @ Science and Seitan August 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Those tennis shoes are killer! I love the way neon shoes look on other people, but whenever I try them on, I feel like they make my feel look huge… am I the only person that happens to?

I should probably get over my insecurities and take the plunge since I love the look so much when I see it on other runners…

I’ve never seriously given power walking a try, but it looks insane in the Olympics! I swear, they walk faster than I run! Ha!

Jenica August 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My workout clothes are basically all purple, all the time. I look ridiculous, but I feel awesome!

Tina August 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm

A lot of mine are too! :)

Krystina August 29, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Girl, eat more chicken! If you ate a bigger protein portion then you wouldn’t be snacking on sugary things (yes, dates and fruit are still sugary) at night. Protein is way more satisfying. :)

Rachel August 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I walked yesterday since I am trying to tone down the running lol and I was sweating! I didn’t realize how intense it can be

Jodi August 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I love all the Hot Pink/Magenta i’m seeing at the U.S. Open (tennis)!

Kahea August 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I’m definitely going to try that walking workout the next chance I have! I’ve sadly never incorporated power walking into my workouts, but I think that’s gonna change now!

Also, the color I’m really love for athletic gear right now is a bright teal. :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I agree with others, incline walking is a fantastic workout! I think walking is a great way to relieve stress.

Millie Snyder August 29, 2012 at 4:29 pm

The pace of my grand kids keeps me in great shape! The chicken looks divine!

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I love those shoes!!! I’m in the market for new runners, so I’d love to hear your feedback on them. Right now I’m loving grey, pink + turquoise in work out gear and shoes :)

Jamie August 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Loveeee the shoes!!! Now I want some! And some of that chicken :)

kristle August 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm

i dont think i’ve ever “power” walked – how fast should you be going for it to count as power walking? since i stopped due to nagging overuse injuries, i really want to start walking, so this workout is helpful!

Jess August 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Those shoes look so comf. I want a pair in pink and black ;)

Jodie August 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Really loved this post for different reasons. 15 weeks pregnant, my exercise intensity has cut back immesely, I have been incorporating a lot of walking & lunges, so keen to try your walking workout :-)
    I agree that eating chicken and plain veges gets so boring when trying to be healthy, I got so sick of eating it that I just stopped eating chicken altogether. I have to start mixing up a few flavours/seasonings so I can make it more appealing again so I will stick to the healthy foods :-)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 29, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Recently I got a new pair of Nike Free Runs and they are a bright magenta – LOVE THEM!

Melissa August 30, 2012 at 12:18 am

I need new running shoes NOW, and I’m planning to get some bright blue or yellow New Balance. I’m SO EXCITED!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 30, 2012 at 12:34 am

I’m loving everything neon. Not head to toe, but definitely sneakers and tops. I pretty much have a collection of the neon Nike Free sneakers. No I’m not proud of that, it’s ridiculous. Ridiculously cute? Haha

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

I had to take a break from running this summer because of some knee issues and I really got into power walking! Also incline walking on the treadmill is another favourite of mine. I’m always surprised at how much I sweat!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd September 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm

How does your home roasted chicken compare to a rotisserie chicken you get at the grocery store? Just as good? Less expensive?

I love the rotisserie chickens but if I can make something at home that’s just as tasty and not as costly then I’m down!

Tina September 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hmmm… I’m not sure. I’ve never bought rotisserie chicken. I always assumed it was super expensive and unhealthy. Maybe I’m wrong?

Jessica September 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Please let me know how your new smooth flex Reebok shoes feel when you go running for a few miles. Thanks :)!