• WOD You Say?

July 3, 2012

Hi, guys! Happy Tuesday! Have any big plans for the 4th of July tomorrow? Mal and I are still figuring out what we’re going to do, but whatever it is, it’s going to involve sun (I hope) and fun!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was Greek yogurt with trail mix, fresh raspberries, and a scoop of almond butter.

As soon as I finished eating it, I wanted something more, so I ate half of a banana with a scoop of almond butter. That did the trick.

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to CrossFit for a workout—and it was a good one! With running! Yay!

I did the workout as prescribed (14-pound medicine ball + 35-pound kettlebell) and finished in 18:00 on the dot.

WOD:

For time:

800 meter run
    50 Burpee Wall-balls
    50 Kettlebell Swings
    50 Abmat Sit-ups
    800 meter run

Rx: (20, 14) (53, 35)
    L2/L1: (14, 10) (35, 25)
    Beg: (10, 8 ) (25, 16) (400 meter run)

As long as you have a kettlebell, today’s WOD can be done at home or the gym. I just removed the Wall-balls since not everyone has access to a medicine ball or a big wall to toss it at. Check it out!

2012-07-03_1226

Snack

After CrossFit, I came home and drank a protein shake made with fitmixer vanilla protein powder, iced coffee, almond milk, ice, and a splash of water. Mmm! This is becoming one of my favorite beverages.

Lunch

A little while later, I made a salad for lunch. In the mix: spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, black beans, blue cheese crumbles, sliced turkey, truffle oil, and balsamic vinegar. On the side: cherries.

2012-07-03_1447

Snack

After lunch, I ran some errands with Mal. When I got home, I was hungry again, so I whipped up The BEST Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie I have ever tasted in my entire life. Here’s the recipe:

• 1 frozen banana
    • 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter
    • 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    • 1.25 cups almond milk
    • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp cinnamon

2012-07-03_1445

WOD You Say?

Last week, I received an email from a reader with a bunch of questions about CrossFit workouts:

Ever since you mentioned that CrossFit was like doing fun activities like when you were a kid, I’m so interested! I agree, I loved being active without really knowing that’s what I was doing. I want to have some fun being active in my grown-up life and not just working out mindlessly at the gym or to DVDs at home. However! When I read your posts about the WOD recaps, I get SO confused at what they actually mean and then I get nervous to check it out. What happens if you can’t do the prescribed workout? Are you always partnered up with people? I’m nervous I’d slow someone down since I’d be going there solo. You previously said that your first WOD was only 13 minutes… what did you do the rest of the time? Or did you just go home after? Do they make you special programs each time until you are able to do the WOD?

For your workout today, does this mean that for three minutes you do 30 overhead squats at 65 lbs, then 50 double-unders at 45 lbs, and repeat until 3 minutes is up? What the heck is a 1RM Snatch exercise? (ha, I laughed when I read your post… I have the mind of a 7th grade boy apparently… sorry).

Ok, lots of questions. Let’s take ‘em one at a time and then I’ll talk about the WOD she mentions in her email.

161144492886959891_knvTWX6B_f

[image source]

What happens if you can’t do the prescribed workout?

CrossFit is scalable to any fitness/skill level, which means there’s a modification for just about every exercise. At my box, modifications are listed as Beginner, L1, L2, and Rx (prescribed), so you pick which level best fits your abilities and then you do the workout alongside everyone else. Even if you’re just starting out, you’ll still get an intense workout because the scaling is relative to your current fitness level.

Important to note: Tons of people can’t do prescribed workouts and you’ll find that a lot of people in the class are doing Beginner, L1, and L2 WODs. I’ve been CrossFit-ing for nearly 7 months now, and I’m just starting to do prescribed workouts. Everyone starts somewhere!

IMG_0001 (800x600) (2)

There aren’t too many partner workouts at our box. They’re usually on Saturdays and they’re a lot of fun. The purpose of them (besides getting a workout) is to have a good time and work with/get to know your fellow box members. CrossFit is all about community! It keeps ya coming back for more!

The WOD is just one part of a typical CrossFit class, and they can range from 2 minutes (if you’re an animal) to 30 minutes or more. Every time I go to CrossFit, I plan to be there for an hour. Each CrossFit class is different, but here’s what the majority of them might look like:

• 10-15 minute warm-up, usually done as a group
    • 15-20 minutes spent on either practicing a skill (rowing technique, handstands, jump rope skills) OR strength (deadlifts, overheat squats, Olympic lifts)
    • 10-30 minutes for the Workout of the Day (WOD). At my box, 90% of the WODs are done in under 20 minutes, but they’re no joke.
    • The last 5-10 minutes of class are spent on mobility and improving range of motion (stretching, foam rolling, etc.).

Do they make you special programs each time until you are able to do the WOD?

As I mentioned above, all of the WODs are scalable, so right from the beginning, you’ll likely be able to do the WOD with everyone else—you’ll probably just have some exercise modifications and you won’t be alone with them. And even though you’re not doing the WOD as prescribed, you’ll still get a great workout!

For your workout, does this mean that for three minutes you do 30 overhead squats at 65 lbs, then 50 double-unders at 45 lbs, and repeat until 3 minutes is up? What the heck is a 1RM Snatch exercise? (ha, I laughed when I read your post… I have the mind of a 7th grade boy apparently… sorry).

Here’s the workout from the other day:

Strength:

Take 20 minutes to find your 1RM Snatch. Hips MUST get below knee crease to be considered a legit (squat) snatch AND to be put on the leaderboard!

3-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

WOD:

“Outlaw”

(3) 3-minute AMRAPs

30 Overhead Squats
    50 Double-Unders

*Rest 1 minute between each AMRAP*

Rx: (65, 45)
    L2: (55, 35); 50 singles OR 50 doubs; no attempts
    L1/Beg: (45, 25); 50 singles

Score = total reps of all 3 rounds

Let’s first start with the “strength” part of the workout. We had 20 minutes to find our 1RM Snatch, which means we had 20 minutes to see how much weight we could Snatch in a single rep (1RM = 1 rep max). (To see what a Snatch is all about, check out this video on the CrossFit website.)

The 3-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 is the rep count, so how many reps we do to find our 1RM. My previous 1RM for Snatches was 45 pounds, so I started with 3 reps of a lighter weight to warm-up and practice my form. Once I felt confident, I added more weight to my bar and then did 2 reps. After that, I added more and more weight (usually increments of 5 pounds), but I only did one rep at a time. As the weight increased, it was more difficult to Snatch the bar in a single attempt, so it took me a few tries to get it overhead. For example, when I got to 80 pounds, it took me 4 or 5 tries to properly Snatch the bar (and I was getting really tired), so I knew I was at my 1RM for the day.

404381_255538201188071_1351951110_n

For the WOD, we did three 3-minute rounds of 30 Overhead Squats + 50 Double-Unders, so we had a total of 9 minutes to complete as many reps of these exercises as possible. (Between each round, we rested for 60 seconds.) Our score for the WOD was the total number of reps completed in the 3 rounds (9 minutes). My score was 234 because I did a total of 234 reps (Overhead Squats + Double Unders) in 9 minutes.

2012-06-29_1428

I did the workout as prescribed (Rx), so I used 45 pounds on my bar for the Overheat Squats and did Double-Unders (not single jumps).

As you can see above, the prescribed workout is written as: “Rx: (65, 45).” The first number listed is the weight for men (65 pounds) and the second number listed is for women (45 pounds). (All of the weights are written this way for the other levels as well.) I did the 50 Double-Unders as prescribed (passing the rope twice underfoot in one jump), but if you couldn’t do them, there was the option to do single jumps instead (Beg/L1 or L2).

Phew, that was a lot more than I planned to write. If I missed anything, please let me know, and I’ll do my best to respond! If you missed my previous CrossFit Q & A posts, you can check them out here:

Happy July 4th, friends! I’m off to celebrate!

_MG_8898 (750x499)

P.S. Check out my Patriotic Pudding Pie over on the Pretzel Crisps blog!

Corrie Anne July 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Yes! Thanks for sharing that workout that you could do at home!! I don’t exactly have a good wall for wall balls. Lol. Although they are fun!

lynn @ the actor's diet July 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

ah the pie! the pie! i die!

Megan July 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

great post! Your WOD today looks similar to mine from last night.. killer!

400 meter run
    70 burpees (took for-ever)
    60 abmat situps
    50 kettlebell swings
    40 pullups
    30 handstand pushups

Tina July 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm

That sounds like a good one! Chippers are my favorite! :)

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles July 3, 2012 at 3:28 pm

What a cute pie! I love the sprinkles red, white, and blue sprinkles

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for the explanation! Haha now it will make a little more sense when I read WOD! Have a great 4th!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Love the CrossFit Q&A! The more people that get into CrossFit the better! That workout looks awesome from your box! Burpee wall balls do sound killer though! I’m not the biggest fan of WB since I’m short but I do love burpees :) I will have to try the best banana smoothie ever! Sounds great!

Taryn July 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm

now your workouts make more sense to me!

Monica July 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I tried your smoothie recipe for a snack today and it was super good! My six year old daughter said it tasted like banana bread. Thanks for all the CrossFit answers. I’m hoping someday we’ll get a CrossFit box in my area. I have a few friends who are talking about starting one here and I would be super happy!

Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep July 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

That pie is adorable and I love the hydrangeas!

I had no idea what any of the CrossFit lingo was =P

Lea July 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Whenever there’s a reference to a particular CF exercise I look it up on youtube to see exactly what it looks like.

Sana July 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

The pudding pie looks super pretty!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm

This makes more sense for sure. Great job explaining! I love that most CF workouts can be modified to be done at home or at the gym–it does make it very accessible to everyone.

Have a great 4th!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I don’t understand all of the CrossFit talk, but I DO understand how delicious-sounding that smoothie is! Yum!

Nicki July 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Seriously, your blog is making me SO excited for my Intro to CrossFit class in a week and a half! And all your meals so far today look delicious :)

Tina July 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Yay! Have fun! :)

Libbi July 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Tina — I love crossfit too! But I feel like you should mention that not all crossfit boxes/gyms are the same. While you’re blessed to be at a great one where time and energy is put forth to make sure that people are working out at their proper fitness level. I also have a crossfit box like that. We don’t have on ramp but we have coaches who are very concerned with making sure that we’re challenging ourselves but not to the point of injury. They know when to tell us to stop.

I do know of places where they push people beyond what they should and that often puts people in a position where they don’t return to crossfit. I think it’s awesome and more people should try it, but also wish that there was more quality control amongst the affiliates.

Great post!

Tina July 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Very true and definitely important to mention. I really lucked out with my box!

Heather July 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for breaking down the WODs, super helpful! I’m just starting to drink a little bit of the CrossFit kool-aid and looking into my local box so it’s nice to be a little familiar with the lingo before I head into it :D

Is it hard to keep track of the number of reps you do for timed rounds? I feel like sometimes doing math while doing a tough workout can be a challenge, lol.

Michele July 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I just got off the phone with my local box! I have my first intro session on Friday and I can not wait !

Tina July 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Yay!!! Enjoy! :)

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That pie looks incredible!! With white chocolate and pretzel crisps, how can it not be insanely delicious!!!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I have been loving smoothies lately! Thanks for sharing the WOD, it looks like a good one!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League July 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I am trying that peanut butter banana smoothie, looks delicious! Cross-Fit still sounds like another language to me, I think I need to try it to truly understand. The more I read your blog the more I’m itching to try it out!

RunEatRepeat July 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Ooooh, you said a bad word.

You are doing better on your 2012 goals then me. I have to get it together!

ina July 3, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Wowza. Thank you to the reader who asked the questions! and thank YOU for making your explanation easy to understand! I get it now! but still intimidated by it all. However, your WOD you posted today is a nice one to test out at home. thanks!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 3, 2012 at 7:07 pm

That patriotic pudding pie looks amazing!!!! Hope you enjoy your 4th, Tina!

Tina July 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks! You too! :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Love the ecard! Ha ha!

katey July 3, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Ha! I saw the pudding pie picture on the Pretzel Crisps facebook page. Who knew those skinny little bites of goodness were good for so many recipes! Come to Maine for the 4th! :-)

Tina July 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I wish we could! Miss you guys!!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy July 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I LOVED it when there was running in the WOD. Mostly because I’m not stellar at the other stuff so I could kind of shine when these workouts rolled around! :) Not like I have an ego, or anything!

I think you do such a great job of summing up the questions I have or have had about Crossfit! Thanks!!

BroccoliHut July 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I agree–nothing hits the spot like a banana-PB smoothie! Thanks for the recipe; I’ll have to give your version a try ASAP.

JunieB July 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I would just like to add for those that cannot do double unders (like me), if you are supposed to do 50 DU’s, then you should do 150 singles. 3 times whatever the DU # is. Some coaches will make you do 4 x DU # (but I tell them F that :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers July 3, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Breakfast look good! Love all the Peanut Butter you added to your meals!!

Julie July 3, 2012 at 9:27 pm

The WOD makes so much more sense now. Thanks for the explanation. I definitely want to try Crossfit but it will have to wait until my shoulder is rehabbed (last week in a sling!).

Brie @ Coxswain's Dilemma July 3, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I’m so impressed with your ability to fit in so many nutritious snacks – envious! I’m either not hungry enough, or forget to prep. Must work on it!

CaitlinHTP July 3, 2012 at 9:51 pm

great post!

Danica @ It's Progression July 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm

definitely trying that smoothie recipe! I love PB but have yet to try it in a smoothie, I don’t know why I’m scared to!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 3, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Totally dying to try Crossfit! I don’t speak the lingo, but I’d like to :)

Hilary July 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm

That patriotic pudding is just too cute…almost makes me wish I was American…but not quite! ;)

lida July 3, 2012 at 11:34 pm

You really want the BEST peanut butter and banana smoothie. Precook 1/2 c oats with a banana and let it cool in the fridge overnight. then in the morning blend it with ice, peanut butter, and however much of whatever kind of milk you need! you can also add cinnamon. it’s amazingly thick.

Christy July 4, 2012 at 12:38 am

I just came across this blog on wordpress.com You may have already seen it, or not, but I thought of you and Murphy when I saw it. http://mugsandpugs.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/our-pug-farm/

Tina July 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

@Christy: Adorable!!! :)

Khushboo Thadani July 4, 2012 at 2:27 am

Cute title :)! THat pie looks super yum!

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running July 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

Happy 4th July Tina! Enjoy your celebrations.

jessie July 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

That banana and peanut butter smoothie sounds delicious! If I hadn’t just ate a snack (which does not come remotely close to as amazing as yours) I would so be making one! Hey, there’s always dessert right? Have a wonderful day & Happy 4th of July!!

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets July 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

So interesting! I’m learning a lot through your CrossFit q&a posts and you’re inspiring me to try it at some point (aka. on the fitness bucket list as of now!). Have a great day of relaxing today!

Erin Motz July 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

Crossfit is for crazies – and I can’t handle it, lol! I always wish I could be someone who just loves it, but honestly, I’m a yoga gal and I’ll stick with that ;) And that patriotic cake/pie looks so pretty!!

Chad July 4, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Do you do the programming? Just curious since the pic of the WOD doesn’t link to your box website.

Tina July 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm

One of the owners from my box does the programming.

Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm

first of all! that pudding pie looks so prettyyyyyyy….And what an informative post! I have to say that I’ve always been so curious about crossfit, but I still don’t know the ins and outs of it so I like reading this type of stuff.

Melissa @ Fit 'N' Well Mommy July 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Your pudding pie looks so good! Anyhow, I love your posts about CrossFit, because it is fun to see the differences between your box and ours in Sacramento, CA. I’ve been doing it since October and I am completely ADDICTED! I have to say I wish we had your WOD yesterday! Our pre-4th WOD was:
    1200 meter run
    150 doubleunders
    30 burpees
    800 meter run
    100 doubleunders
    20 burpees
    400 meter run
    50 double unders
    10 burpees
    *34 min. time cap.
    It was brutal, to say the least!

Erika July 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I just made your pbb smoothie and omg is it good! New favorite of mine for sure. I added some ice cubes because I like my smoothies to taste like milkshakes. Smoothies are my go to treats now and I am kind of obsessed with them. :)

Tina July 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Yay!!!!!!

Julia H. @ Going Gulia July 4, 2012 at 7:57 pm

That dish at the end looks so pretty! And patriotic of course. Very neat using Pretzel Crisps in that…never would have thought of that on my own!

Rebecca July 4, 2012 at 10:49 pm

This is not actually a comment on this post, but I don’t know how far back you read. This is about the red onion sandwich. OH MY GOODNESS, I made a variation of it last night and two things: one, I fell off the vegetarian train for this sandwich and I don’t regret it AT ALL; and two, I actually dreamed about the sandwich after I ate it. The only changes I made were that I left off bacon (don’t like it) and instead of sundried tomato mayo, I used a mixture of one part mayo and one part salsa, plus liberal hot sauce. It was SO GOOD. SO GOOD. Thanks for that recipe!

Amanda July 5, 2012 at 9:35 am

You could probably use a couple of dumbbells and do thrusters instead of the wall balls???

Tina July 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

Sure!

Cassie July 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

Crossfit definitely takes some time to do prescribed. Wether it’s certain moves (finally got pullups, now just to string a lot together) or weights (my gym for some reason is really weight heavy. the lightest i’ve ever seen a prescribed weight is like 75# snatch for Isabel) it probably takes most average people a year or two on consistency to finally be able to do all the moves and weights!