• WOD Sandwich

July 16, 2012

The first half of Saturday went like this: breakfast, Reebok presentation, WOD, lunch. It was sort of like a WOD sandwich with a little bit of Reebok mixed in between meals. Ok, that was a totally weird sentance. Did it even make sense? Let’s just go with it, ok?

Breakfast

Bright and early on Saturday morning, Reebok hosted a continental breakfast at the hotel where I was staying. Since my body was on East coast time, I woke up ridiculously early. I was hungry, so I ate some trail mix and drank an iced coffee before heading down to breakfast #2 of the day.

On the menu: bagels and fruit.

Potatoes and bacon.

Cheesy eggs.

Juice, yogurt, and coffee.

I grabbed a Mighty Mango Naked juice and then filled my plate with eggs and potatoes. (Sorry, forgot to snap a “before” photo of my plate.)

After breakfast, we headed into a nearby conference room to hear an hour-long presentation from Reebok about some of the new CrossFit gear they are coming out with in the next few months.

Chris Froio, Head of Global Fitness and Training, told us they’ve listened to feedback from both elite athletes as well as the CrossFit community in general to create their new product line, which includes lots of bright colors, compression gear, and fabrics that move with you. Reebok even took into consideration common tattoo placements on people’s bodies when designing some of their athletic tops. A number of styles allow side or upper back tattoos to peak through when doing upper body movements. That’s kind of cool, right? It’s really great that Reebok is listening to what the CrossFit community has to say.

IMG_8209 (480x640)IMG_8214 (480x640)IMG_8219 (480x640)

Workout

After the presentation, we all got on a bus and drove to CrossFit Marina in Huntington Beach for a workout.

I love visiting new boxes.

Once we all got settled, Blair and Lauren (CrossFit coaches) gave us a brief overview and then took us through a warm-up.

The warm-up included the Samson stretch, shoulder pass-throughs, walking lunges, high kicks, and push-ups.

Then, we learned how to properly do Burpees.

And Air Squats.

And then it was time to WOD!

I loved this workout because everyone could do it (there were a number of people who had never done CrossFit before) and you could really push yourself for the entire 12 minutes. I finished 8 rounds + 15 (7 air squats, 7 kettlebell swings + 1 Burpee).

Fitfluential ambassadors post-workout: Joe, me, Jess, Heather, and Scott.

Just the ladies!

Check out those guns!

Lunch

After the workout, we drove back to the hotel for lunch.

IMG_8250 (480x640)IMG_8251 (480x640)

There was a fun seating area with a couch at lunch, so Jess and I took advantage of the photo opp.

On the menu for lunch: beet salad with red cabbage and celery and a broccoli salad with sliced almonds, raisins, and bacon. Both were excellent.

Also, protein: ribs and chicken breast.

My plate:

After lunch, we showered up and headed to the CrossFit Games. Part 2 of Saturday is coming up next! Stay tuned!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 16, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I love the tattoo idea Reebok has.

I think that usually when people have tattoos they love to show them off (I have 4 right now and I love it when people notice/ask questions) so specifically designing a workout top that allows you to show them off is definitely an awesome concept in my opinion.

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I’m the same way! I love when people show interest in my tattoo.

j3nn July 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

Crossfit looks like so much fun! I love the variety it offers.

Cristina @ Girl Meets Pink July 17, 2012 at 12:09 am

I’ve been hearing SO much about CrossFit lately that I think I need to check out a class. I’m a little bit intimidated by it all, but is it really for a beginner? I’m bouncing back from knee surgery and of course, I want to mix up my routine a bit.

Tina July 17, 2012 at 12:12 am

Yep, it is! Check out my CrossFit page for more info. I address your question in both of my Q&A posts! :)

christine July 17, 2012 at 12:13 am

hihi Tina~~can you tell me about what you drink daily?? only water??? Sometimes I think water is too tasteless…

Tina July 17, 2012 at 12:14 am

Yep, water and iced coffee. Lots of both! :) What about adding a little bit of sliced fruit (lemon, lime, orange, etc.) to your water for some flavor? Or cucumber slices or fresh mint?

christine July 17, 2012 at 12:18 am

@christine: BTW, I started to drink ice coffee with unsweet almond milk since you told us about your ice coffee~ it still taste good!! Do you also use sweeten soymilk/sweet almond milk??just like original one??

Tina July 17, 2012 at 12:20 am

Nice! Glad you like it! I use either unsweetened almond, soy, or coconut milk.

@pluvk July 17, 2012 at 12:22 am

All these crossfit posts are making want to try it! It looks like the type of workout I’d enjoy. Plus, if you get to eat all that delicious food… Yum!!

Tina July 17, 2012 at 12:23 am

You should! ;)

Khushboo July 17, 2012 at 12:58 am

I’m going to be in London next month- definitely looking out for a crossfit studio!

Annette Gomez July 17, 2012 at 1:05 am

WOW…Crossfit Marina is literally around the corner from my office. I always see people running around the block and doing crazy lunges with weights….I just started following your blog, and I’m very interested in learning more about crossfit. It seems like a great workout and you make it seem like so much fun (in a kick your butt and leave you for dead kind of way :) Anyways…really enjoying your blog and all the workout tips/meal ideas!!!!

Erin July 17, 2012 at 1:25 am

Teen, I request a burpee vid reflecting the technique you learned! Your videos are too few and far between! xo my fit friend!

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running July 17, 2012 at 3:02 am

That beet salad looks delicious!

It looks like you had a great workout.. it is always great going back to the basics and checking to make sure technique is perfect.

Brie @ Coxswain's Dilemma July 17, 2012 at 6:55 am

Ahh the food looks great! Now I’m craving eggs…

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 17, 2012 at 7:36 am

Such a fun weekend! I am in love with the Reebok CrossFit clothing! and I can’t wait to try out the new Nanos!

Anne July 17, 2012 at 7:37 am

Random question, Did you try the beet salad with red cabbage? That sounds and looks amazing! I am wondering if they roasted the beets or if they were raw.

Tina July 17, 2012 at 9:33 am

Yep, they were cooked beets! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 17, 2012 at 8:20 am

glad you enjoyed it! And those sound like some great ideas reebok has for crossfit gear!

jessie July 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Looks like such an awesome experience! Glad you had such a great time away. Can’t wait for part 2!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio July 17, 2012 at 9:01 am

So awesome Tina!! Did you find that you had to change your blurpee technique?

Tina July 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Actually, a little bit. One of the coaches suggested jumping in with a wider stance. I guess my feet were too narrow, so I wasn’t as stable as I could be.

zoe kimberly July 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

Um.. Joe is so cute!! Is he single?

Courtney July 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

I can’t wait for those colorful socks to come out, I was trying to figure out where to buy them when I saw all the athletes wearing them in the games. Love the colors!!

Michelle July 17, 2012 at 9:33 am

You and your posts have really inspired me to try CrossFit! I’ve always been a little wary of it in fear of gaining weight and looking bulky… you look AWESOME! I’ve tried a few workouts that I’ve found online in the past, but finally got my butt to a box yesterday and I loved every second of it. The atmosphere was something you can’t find at a normal gym and I’ve already purchased my first package for the intro classes. So thank you, thank you, thank you!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free July 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

I am so jealous of your amazing crossfit weekend! Also, I love that pink & yellow top!

Lindsey B July 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Love the pink and yellow work-out top — can I ask what brand it is/where you got it! PS, love your blog! Keep up the awesome work :-)

Tina July 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks! It’s Reebok! :)

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} July 17, 2012 at 9:57 am

That sounds like my kinda WOD. I heart burpees. Sunday, I did a “dirty burpee” workout (80 burpees and 2 mi. run total – awesome!).

Rachel July 17, 2012 at 10:34 am

Love your outfit!! it’s so cute!

Tina July 17, 2012 at 10:34 am

Thanks! :)

Living, Learning, Eating July 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

Breakfast is my favorite catered meal! Well, favorite meal period…

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 17, 2012 at 11:45 am

sounds like an awesome event! with great eats too:)

Alyssa July 17, 2012 at 11:50 am

This sounds like such an awesome time! Can’t wait to hear the rest of it!

Sara July 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

hi tina,
    i think i asked about this before the last time you went to a Reebok event, but this Crossfit event seems overwhelmingly white — where are the people of color? Do you think there is a reason that Crossfit or Reebok isn’t attracting more diversity? What do you think could be done to improve this? (I don’t know much about Crossfit, but from your descriptions, it sounds like “the box” is pretty bare bones with a little equipment — which could be ideal for underserviced communities looking for exercise options.)

mel July 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hi! Not Tina, but I’ll give you my opinion (if you care!) haha. I know my crossfit box is mainly white men and women. I don’t know why there are so many white people but I do know that x fit sells mainly to people with money becuase it is a little pricey (esp. compared to a gym membership). I know when I was in college I couldn’t afford a crossfit membership b/c of the price. Maybe that is a reason? or maybe where the crossfit boxes are located also plays into the lack of diversity. Just my two cents!

Chris July 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm

@mel: I think another thing that gets overlooked when these questions come up is that the US is nearly 80% white, so even if CrossFit perfectly represented the US population, it would still be overwhelmingly white. So if CrossFit is 90% (I have no idea if this is true, just using it as a hypothetical), while the seams horribly exclusive, it’s really only about 12% off of what you would get if you took a completely random sample from the US. And if you look at the other countries in which CrossFit is largest (UK, Iceland, Australia, Norway, Sweden, Finland), they are even more “white” than the US is.

Laura @ She Eats Well July 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

That red cabbage salad looks ahh-mazing! Looks like an educational, fun and challenging weekend. The best kind!

Millie Snyder July 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Wow, muscular arms girls- I’m impressed! Props to ya, you all look great and have wonderful motivation. Sounds like a proactive morning!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

YAY for a fun WOD!

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero July 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Sounds like such an amazing weekend. I was totally inspired from reading all your posts and worked burpees and squats into my normal run.

Natalie July 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Love your pink and yellow tank! Looks like you had fun!

Amy July 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

awesome! u guys look great!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail July 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Ha ha! I love the GUNS pic–I thought I saw steam I was sweating so bad–I’m swopping your couch pic by the way! ;) CUTE!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie July 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I have never completed a WOD. But you guys look great! I might need to look for a crossfit here in st louis!

Emma July 18, 2012 at 10:09 am

Hi I have followed your blog for some time and noticed how lean you have become. Can I ask is this just down to Crossfit do you think? Also, would you say Crossfit is similar to a Bootcamp style workout? Im trying to get lean and not binge on sugar so much but its a real struggle!

Tina July 18, 2012 at 10:21 am

It’s definitely CrossFit, but even more so, I think it’s my diet. I’ve really cleaned it up and don’t eat nearly as much sugar as I used to.

Some parts of CrossFit are similar to bootcamp-style workouts, but CrossFit is a lot more involved with Olympic lifts, gymnastics, etc.

Emma July 18, 2012 at 10:42 am

Can I be nosey and ask how you changed your diet and do you have any tips on curbing sugar intake? I seem to be fine, then I’ll have a bit of chocolate and before I know it I’ve eaten 2 bars!

Tina July 18, 2012 at 10:44 am
    Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

Reebok knows how to run AND eat. Impressive ;)

Scott @ Your Inner Skinny July 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Such an awesome day!

gold account July 19, 2012 at 6:26 am

I have done crossfit once. It was an unpleasant experience because of the coach. If I did it again I’d go to a different location. The workout was good and I definitely was sweating after (posssibly partly due to the coach making me move too much weight and partly due to my stubbornness), but I race my bicycle competetively and didn’t feel like those 15-min (or whatever) workouts would ever do enough to prepare me to race. I love that they have motivated people who wouldn’t otherwise work out, tho!