• Summer Smoothie Round-Up

July 30, 2012

After breakfast this morning, I did something I haven’t done in awhile: I went for a run! I know, I’m as surprised as you are! Haha!

I actually have two races coming up on my calendar—the Run for Redemption 5K and the Army 10-Miler—and I’m also thinking about adding a fall half marathon, so I want to keep my running up over the next few months. Hopefully, having these races on my calendar will motivate me to incorporate some more runs into my weekly workouts. Local friends: do you have any recommendations for a small-ish fall half marathon?

Workout

I planned to run 3 miles today, but I ended up going for 4.5 miles. Today’s playlist was really awesome, so I just didn’t want to stop.

2012-07-30_1417

I finished 4.5 miles in 36:44, which was an average pace of 8:09. It feels good to be back!

Snack

After my run, I showered up and then had a serious craving for a smoothie, so I whipped up one of my favorites: Banana Bread Smoothie.

Summer Smoothie Round-Up

In honor of today’s post-run snack, here’s a smoothie round-up for you. Just click on the pic for the recipe!

2012-07-26_1404

2012-07-30_1341

2012-07-30_1348

2012-07-30_1339

2012-07-30_1343

2012-07-30_1359

2012-07-03_1445

What’s your favorite smoothie recipe? Please share! I love finding new recipes to try!

Cait's Plate July 30, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Oooh there’s some good ones in there! Definitely bookmarking this page!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers July 30, 2012 at 9:06 pm

All of your smoothies look wonderful, I don’t know what one I want to make first?

Tina July 30, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I recommend the Banana Bread or Gingerbread! :)

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate July 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm

All these smoothies look delicious! A smoothie is most definitely in store for me tomorrow. :-)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I keep my smoothies relatively simple:
    -1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    -1/4-1/2 frozen banana
    -1 tbsp peanut butter

And i mix it with either water or dairy-free milk and ice. Sometimes I’ll add cocoa powder or spinach too.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete July 30, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Wow. It really seems like all of this strength training is helping with your run times. I’m in my off season from triathlon right now, and I’m wanting to build up base with a lot of strength training with exercises kinda similar to crossfit.

When I ran the Prague half marathon with one of my friends a few years ago, she had just started crossfit, and she was a slower runner than me before the race. She ended up running a faster time than me even though I was running more than her b/c of her crossfit!!! I just think it is amazing. Obviously, you can’t go without running when training for these races, but I really think people underestimate strength training for decreasing their race times!

Cindy @ Paper Peonies July 30, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I’m doing the United Healthcare half marathon in Newport, RI. First half for me. Ahhhh! It’s October 14th if you would be interested in that race.

Jessica @ New Girl, New City July 30, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Peanut butter banana smoothies are the BEST! The key is a frozen banana, makes it super creamy!!

Jess July 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I love the Bay State half marathon. Nice and flat course!

Pauline July 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm

You should look into the smutty nose half in September. It’s in NH, and really good beer post race.

Jenn @BeYOUatBeMe July 30, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I always love supplementing a run with a yummy smoothie. Chocolate peanut butter is my favorite!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings July 30, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Love the smoothie roundup! Now I want to make one tomorrow! They are so refreshing :)

Evelyn July 30, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Do you or mal use KT tape while working out? Does it work for you?

Tina July 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm

No, neither of us use it. Sorry to not be more help!

Khushboo July 31, 2012 at 12:32 am

Love the combo of frozen cantaloupe, soy milk, plain yogurt and vanilla extract- YUM!

Hanna July 31, 2012 at 3:34 am

My favorite smoothie:
    - 1 banana
    - 200 g fat-free quark
    - 3-4 dl frozen black currants
    - 3 tbsp crushed flax seeds
    - 1 tsp sesame oil
    - handful of cocoa nibs
    - fat-free milk enough to make the smoothie just right

Becky July 31, 2012 at 3:43 am

Hi Tina!
    Your run time is so fast! Do you credit crossfit with your speedy miles? I currently run between 9.5 and 10.5 minute miles depending on race length and wondered if you had any tips for speeding up? My goal is to run a 10k in 50 minutes but I’m not sure where to start! Thanks!

Tina July 31, 2012 at 5:29 am

I do! Check out my Running page (under Fitness) for some tips/posts! :)

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running July 31, 2012 at 4:54 am
    Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 31, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’m not a huge smoothie drinker because they never really satisfy me! But sometimes if I just need a snack to hold me over for an hour or two, I’ll have one. My favourite combo is yogurt, milk, banana (unfrozen!), strawberries, and spinach. Easy but delicious!

Kim @ Baby Steps to Balance July 31, 2012 at 8:32 am

I looooove smoothies! My go to one is:

1/2 C of Cold Coffee
    1/2 C Milk
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/4-1/2 frozen banana
    1 T Cocoa
    Stevia to taste

Kim @ Baby Steps to Balance July 31, 2012 at 3:41 pm

@Kim @ Baby Steps to Balance:

I forgot to add some vanilla extract and lots of ice! I like em thick ;)

Madeline Mac July 31, 2012 at 9:43 am

A great smoothie!:
    1 Comice Pear
    1 frozen banana (or half)
    1 cup (6 oz) of vanilla flavored greek yogurt
    Splash of milk
    Scoop of ice
    Pumpkin pie spice

It’s good!

Madeline Mac July 31, 2012 at 9:45 am

@Madeline Mac: You can also never go wrong with a banana “milk shake.”
    1 unfrozen banana
    1 cup of milk
    Splash of vanilla

It tastes amazing and it is very simple!

Heidi July 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

I don’t know if the Cape Cod Marathon is small (I’d guess not?), but it looks beautiful. They have the half on Saturday and the full on Sunday. I’m flying out there with my husband to run the Clam Chowdah Challenge. It’s a late October race, and looks like an incredible time…

Margaret July 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

I have been LOVING the Spiru-tein protein powders! Holy creamyness! I tried the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough one with 1 cup Almond Milk, about 1/2 cup water, and a frozen banana. Yummmm!

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile July 31, 2012 at 10:47 am

These look amazing! :)

Smoothie Maker July 31, 2012 at 12:34 pm

That strawberry shortcake smoothie looks delicious, I’m jealous ;)

Hannah July 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Made your gingerbread smoothie this morning! It’s DELISH! Thanks for such a great smoothie recipe :)

Tina July 31, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Nice! So glad you liked it! It’s one of my favorites!

Wanda Moncrief July 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm

1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
    1 1/2 scoops of Arbonne Vanilla Protein powder
    1/2 frozen banana
    1 T almond butter
    1 t honey
    5 frozen strawberries

YUM!!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance August 1, 2012 at 2:59 am

My Favorite Smoothie: http://www.thebeautifulbalance.com/2012/07/19/my-favorite-green-smoothie-2/

SO good that I almost forget that there are a zillion variations for smoothies, haha.

Do you use fresh kale?

Tina August 1, 2012 at 5:42 am

Yep! And frozen! :)

Ke August 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this race:

I’ve run the route several times. The view is great, much better than BAA HM IMO.

Happy Runnin!

Marcy Borak August 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

I totally missed this post the other day, sorry for the late response- but I’m thinking about doing the Seacoast Half this fall. It is a gorgeous course that follows along in Portsmouth and Newcastle, NH…AND this year the proceeds go to Families First Community Health Center. I work as a social worker at the center and can vouch for the amazing services we provide to our Seacoast NH community. Just an idea for a fun fall half. http://www.seacoasthalfmarathon.com

Also…we are down a couple of runners for our Reach the Beach NH team that is Sept. 14 & 15th…let me know if you are interested! http://nh.rtbrelay.com/

~Marcy

Julia H. @ Going Gulia August 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I’m very much a “let’s see what kind of yogurt & fruit I have in the house right now” kind of person when it comes to making smoothies. Basically I throw in greek yogurt, some milk, whatever fruit I find, and always a hefty handful of spinach. Yum.

Peggy August 3, 2012 at 11:37 am

All of these smoothies sound awesome! I think I’m definitely going to have to try that banana bread one though =)

Tina August 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Please do! It’s the best of the bunch in my opinion! :)