• CrossFit After Party

July 19, 2012

What better way to celebrate the end the 2012 CrossFit Games than with a PAR-TAY!?! I joined my friends from CrossFit 781 for an evening of food, fun, and dancing.

IMG_8498 (750x563) (750x563)

The lovely ladies of 781 before dinner: me, Kim, Kayla, and Dani.

IMG_8481 (750x563) (750x563)

My friends’ hotel was right near a Cheesecake Factory, so we headed there for dinner. I started the evening with a glass of white wine.

IMG_8482 (563x750) (563x750)

To eat, Kim and I shared a bunch of appetizers: chicken lettuce wraps, flatbread pizza, and pork dumplings.

2012-07-19_1612

After dinner, as we were leaving the restaurant, guess who walked right by us? Annie Thorisdottir!!! She likely enjoyed her first meal as the “2012 Fittest Woman on Earth” at the Cheesecake Factory. Pretty cool, right!? I thought about trying to meet her, but I chickened out. Plus, she was holding hands with a guy, so I assumed it was her boyfriend and they probably wanted to enjoy the evening without gawking fans in their faces. It was still pretty neat to see her!

The CrossFit After Party was held at the Manhattan Beach Marriot, where most of the athletes were staying—many of them were in attendance.

IMG_8490 (750x563) (750x563)

Our tickets to the after party got us each two drinks, so I ordered a glass of champagne and mustered up my courage to meet some of the athletes.

IMG_8494 (750x563) (750x563)

The first athlete that I met was Daniel Tyminski, who placed 14th at the Games. He was really friendly and may or may not have kissed me on the cheek.

IMG_8491 (750x563) (750x563)

I also met Talayna Fortunato, a GNC-sponsored athlete. She placed 3rd at the Games.

IMG_8493 (563x750) (563x750)

My CrossFit coaches sort of knew Spencer Hendel from CrossFit ONE, which is located in the town next to our box, so we all went over and chatted with him. Spencer was super friendly and told us he was planning to hike Mount Whitney the very next day. No big deal the day after the CrossFit Games, right? He’s a machine!

IMG_8496 (750x563) (750x563)

And the athlete I was most excited to meet at the after party: Julie Foucher!!!

IMG_8497 (563x750) (563x750)

I was so nervous to approach her and ask for a photo together, but she was incredibly sweet. I asked her how she felt after the Games, and she replied: “Tired, but really great.” Ahhh, I can’t believe I met Julie Foucher!

My friends and I spent the rest of the night getting down on the dance floor. It was quite a party!

IMG_8500 (750x563) (750x563)

IMG_8502 (750x563) (750x563)

Kim & Kayla!

IMG_8503 (750x563) (750x563)

Kim & me!

IMG_8506 (750x563) (500x377)

Me, Kim, Jason & Dani!

IMG_8507 (750x563) (750x563)

Oh, yea, and we met Bob Harper, who is also an avid CrossFitter. Rumor has it, he and Greg Glassman (the creator of CrossFit) hung out quite a bit at the CrossFit Games. So cool!

IMG_8504 (750x563) (750x563)

I can’t even begin to express how amazing my experience was at the CrossFit Games. It really was “CrossFit Christmas” for me. Of course, I had an absolute blast, but I left the Games feeling totally inspired. Now, I really want to get better at CrossFit, and, of course, spread the word even more about it. I’ve seen how much CrossFit has changed my life (and Mal’s) for the better, so I just want others to experience the same thing. I apologize to those of you who aren’t into CrossFit, but it’s something I am really passionate and love to blog about.

THANK YOU, Fitfluential, Reebok, and GNC for the opportunity to attend the 2012 CrossFit Games! I will never, ever forget this experience.

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves July 20, 2012 at 9:21 am

Spencer Hendel is a doll! What can I say, I’m a sucker for a boy with a mustache. Thanks for sharing your amazing weekend. I’m jealous, but feel like I was there a little bit thanks to you!

Tina July 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

Haha! Me too! I love his mustache!

Susan July 20, 2012 at 9:44 am

What a trip. I am getting inspired to experience Cross Fit for myself.

Courtney July 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

Julie Foucher AND Bob Harper in one night? I’d die. Julie is my hero and I may have a slight girl crush. And Bob Harper… he’s just hot.

Bobbie July 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

I can’t believe you met Bob Harper!! That is awesome! He is one of my favorites!!!
    Is your outfit a dress or a skirt and shirt? I really like it. :)

Tina July 20, 2012 at 10:48 am

Skirt! :)

Graig July 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

Reading all the blog posts about it has definitely been inspiring. I am doing a little research myself to find a box near me and maybe start practicing some of the moves. Thanks Tina!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon July 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks so much for sharing your experience at the Games! I watched the whole thing, but reading your account and seeing your pictures has really made it all the more inspiring. I’m so glad that you got the chance to go and share this with us!

Also, I’m glad it was you and not me at that after party, because I probably would have made a fool of myself and drooled all over Spencer Hendel…he’s…just…so…tall… ;)

Mara @ martialartsnchocolate.blogspot.com July 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

thank you for sharing, you are so inspiring!

Pauline July 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thanks for sharing about this experience! I am doing the on-ramp program now, and it is tough! I love it though. First time in a while that I’ve been excited about working out. I must say I find CrossFit to be very humbling. I never thought an air squat would take such technique and so much trial and error. It’s totally worth it though.

Tina July 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

Yay!!! So glad you gave it try! :)

Michelle M. July 20, 2012 at 11:14 am
    Jess July 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I get chills when I read your CrossFit Games recaps!! I am soooo inspired to get better, too, hopefully I’ll see you there next year! Ah, CrossFit is amazing.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love how Crossfit as a “hangout culture” in addition to the fact that it’s an exercise/sport ;)

Miriam Valkenburg July 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Love the picture of you and Julie F. You wearing striped skirt, she wearing a striped shirt….:)

Adriana July 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This is the first time that i writte a comment but i had to say it I LOVE boooob harperr he is so hot haha

Kelly @ My love affair with running July 20, 2012 at 7:10 pm

You have really inspired me to try it!! One should be opening up relatively close by soon and I can’t wait to give it a smash!

Mandy Richter July 22, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Tina where is that skirt from?

Tina July 22, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Ann Taylor Loft.

Mandy Richter July 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks:)

Julia H. @ Going Gulia July 23, 2012 at 8:59 am

I always find it interesting how everyone has people who they consider celebs that others may not. I don’t know the names of those CrossFit athletes, but it’s awesome that they’re so high status to you! That’s like how you & some other bloggers are like celebrities in my world…I’d be so nervous if I met any of you!