• California, Here I Come

July 12, 2012

Greetings from high in the sky somewhere over Nebraska! I’m on my way to Los Angeles right now, and I’m using the very expensive in-flight internet to blog. (Frickin’ $17.95 for internet? Jeez, Louise. I almost didn’t buy it, but, hey, it’s for my job, right? Plus, I like blogging and it keeps me entertained.)

Breakfast

Once again, we had a nearly-empty jar of nut butter in the house, so I made Overnight Oats in Jar for breakfast. (I’m telling ya, we I plow through nut butter like it’s our my job!) In the mix: rolled oats, Greek yogurt, sliced strawberries, chia seeds, and sliced almonds. I love this as a summer breakfast. So good.

As I ate my breakfast, Murphy watched me very closely. (I can’t even look at this picture without laughing! Haha!) I guess I wasn’t eating fast enough because he looks really annoyed that he had to wait to lick the jar. Pugs are so impatient when it comes to food.

After breakfast, I poured myself an iced coffee (in my new pug travel mug from Julie) and then took Murphy for a walk. I was planning to just buy an iced coffee at the airport, but Mal bought home a bag of Hazelnut Cream the other day, and I really wanted to try it. As expected, it was delicious. Mal said Fresh Market has bins and bins full of fun coffee flavors like tiramisu, red velvet cake, and chocolate volcano, so now I want to take a trip there to check it out myself. (Many thanks to those of you who tipped us off to the Fresh Market coffees!)

With iced coffee in hand, I attempted to take Murphy for a walk. I have no idea why he resisted so much—he usually loves his morning walk—but the first 5 minutes were a real struggle. Stop, go, stop, go. He’s so stubborn sometimes. Maybe he was mad at me for leaving to go to California?

After our walk (the rest of it went fine), I gathered up my things, said goodbye to Murph, and then Mal drove me to the T (aka subway), so I could take it to the airport to catch my flight.

Snack

On the ride to the airport, I snacked on some Sweet Potato Wedges that I brought from home. I planned to eat them later in the day, but when you’re hungry, you’re hungry.

When I finally arrived at the airport, I was still hungry, so I bought a banana to snack on. I guess breakfast failed me big time this morning.

Lunch

On the flight, I did a little work and then ordered lunch from Virgin America’s in-flight entertainment system. (FYI: I’m a tad obsessed with this airline. It’s so fun—and flying it to California makes the trip even more amazing!) I had the Roast Beef Banh Mi Wrap, which was made with roast beef wrapped in a lemon cilantro tortilla with pickled carrots, onion, zucchini, red bell pepper, green cabbage, and spicy black bean hummus. Holy yum! I pretty much devoured it since traveling always makes me so hungry. (Is that weird?) There was also a small piece of dark chocolate in the package for dessert. Perfect.

Wondering what else I typically eat when I travel? Check out my recent post on Trading Up Downtown.

Besides the food, another reason why this flight is so awesome: the free middle seat in my row. It’s a packed flight, so it’s probably the only free seat on the whole flight. I don’t know why this makes me so happy, but it does.

Feel Great Weight

gerd
    On the heels of last week’s post about training on the track, it’s important to focus on safety when it comes to exercise outdoors, especially with regard to the heat. Much of the country has seen record highs in recent weeks, so here are some tips to keep you cool (and safe!) when you get your sweat on! Safety Tips for Summer Workouts

Which seat do you prefer: aisle, middle, or window?

See ya in sunny California!

P.S. This video made my week: Share It Maybe. Please watch it. It’s guaranteed to make you smile!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail July 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Ah, so glad you made it! Travel WOD in the books. See you tomorrow!

Julie July 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Always the window and same goes for riding Amtrak. I restrict my liquids (probably not always the best plan) and have no plans to get up so I feel better not having to make the person next to me move.

Emma July 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm

If there’s one thing that’s tough about being in CA it’s not having Teddie peanut butter anymore :( Have fun in California!

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets July 12, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I’m so torn between the aisle and window seats. I love the aisle because my bladder is the size of a peanut and I need to go constantly, so I always feel awful stepping over everyone. But, on the other hand, I’m terrified of flying.. and somehow, looking out the window makes me feel reassured. Either way, the middle sucks!

Have a great time in Cali with all of those ripped bods!

Katy July 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Window! I like to see what’s going on down there. :-)

katie July 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

“It’s a packed flight, so it’s probably the only free seat on the whole flight. I don’t know why this makes me so happy, but it does.” – Really??? Pretty much 99% of the population would be happy with that!!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats July 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Hope you’re having a good trip! I am window seat all the way baby. I feel a little claustrophobic if I can’t look out.

P.s. That picture of Murphy cracks me up. Un-amused Pug says hurry up.

Katie July 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Murphy is just adorable, and I love that picture you took of him right next to the pug cup! :D

When I’m on a plane, I like to sit in one of the seats near the window, but right next to the aisle so that I can get up whenever I want to.

lynn @ the actor's diet July 13, 2012 at 12:00 am

welcome! sorry for the rain!

Khushboo Thadani July 13, 2012 at 12:52 am

After once getting trapped in a window seat (i.e. I had to pee but the guy in the aisle had passed out & I felt bad to wake him up), I ALWAYS request an aisle seat!

Deb July 13, 2012 at 12:53 am

I hope Los Angeles is cooler then the AV has been. We’re only about 80 minutes away from there, but this week has been filled with 110+ degree temps. Yuck! Its cooling off now but its also super muggy. Not sure which is worse to be honest… lol.

Can’t answer your question today as I’ve never flown before.

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy July 13, 2012 at 1:16 am

Virgin America rules. It is especially awesome when you have a baby because they are so kind and accommodating to parents. They even block an empty seat next to you if possible, and offer to sit with your baby while you go to the bathroom! Amazing.

christine July 13, 2012 at 2:10 am

WELCOME TO LA~!

BTW,how sugar you use in your daily ice coffee???

Leticia @ Running Around Hungry July 13, 2012 at 2:49 am

I prefer a window seat, although I am such a bad flyer! I get sick everytime, especially if it’s a smaller plane. Nevertheless, I love to travel…and in the meantime will just have to suck it up (or drug-it-up with Dramamine). LOL! :)

Dana July 13, 2012 at 8:08 am

Is it weird that I love the middle seat on planes??? I dont know, I think I just like feeling kozie and snuggled safe in the middle seat :-) And because I travel for work a lot, when I sit in the middle seat, I have 2 options of people to talk to! Don’t have to get stuck jsut talking to one! :-)

Safe travels to CA!

Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings July 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

What is it about traveling that makes me eat about twice as much a I normally would? Maybe it’s because I automatically put myself in vacation mode!

For long flights, I like the window seat so I can lean against the window while I sleep.

Molly@ Runninglatemolls July 13, 2012 at 9:35 am

I am alwwwways more hungry when traveling! My Boyfriend lives in LA and I live in MN so I fly out there often. I swear I get 10times more hungry on the flight there than a normal day… maybe it is just boredom from sitting so long?

Therese July 13, 2012 at 9:58 am

I was inspired to make overnight oats in a jar last night because of this post & I totally loved them! Perfect breakfast for a hot summer morning! I think that I might be addicted already!!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves July 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

Murphy may not be able to talk, but it’s not necessary. His faces always say exactly what he is thinking! I’ve never seen such an expressive dog! He cracks me up.

Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love July 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Baahaha Murphy is hilarious!

Love it when you get an empty seat on a plane!

Kelly@BalancedDaily July 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I always like sitting in the window seat. I’m not usually on flights longer than 4 hours, so if I go to the bathroom ahead of time, I’m good for the flight. I can never fall asleep on planes (I have to be 100% comfortable to be able to sleep) but I do like having the side to lean up against. And, of course, I love looking out the window! Lucky you with the empty seat next to you though, that always makes me happy too. Safe flight!

Alaina July 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Haha! That photo of Murphy is priceless. It made me chuckle too. :-)

gold account July 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Most of my work as a freelance writer involves travel. One of my regular clients specifically focuses on the latest news and changes in the airline industry. I write for this client three to four times each week and am always learning something new. Furthermore, we often choose to fly on our family vacations and have done so since well before #1 came along. Over the years, I have come to really understand what makes a flight horrible, merely bearable, or lots of fun. I also have learned how to get the most bang for my buck and many other tips that makes flying a breeze. If you don’t feel like reading through my wordy explanations, the best tips are in bold. Choosing Your Seats The family that flies together does not always sit together. If you fly on a low-cost airline as many families do, you may not have been able to book your seats at the time of purchase. Southwest became famous for its no-frills flights, which include first-come, first-served seating. The downside is that Southwest, and others that are following suit, do not guarantee that families can sit together. Once upon a time, families had preferred seating on planes. Not anymore. Now, preferred seating goes to anyone who pays extra for aisle and window seats. This means that if you squeezed your pennies to get the cheapest flight, you may have to beg strangers, who paid more than you for their seat, to move.