• A New Kind of Protein

July 10, 2012

Hi, friends! Happy Tuesday!

The other day, I stumbled upon this cool infographic created by some CrossFit number crunchers. It shows the average stats of the men and women who placed in the top 10 in the 2012 CrossFit Open. Check it out!

photo

Just for fun, here’s how I compare:

Snatch: 80 lbs.

Clean and Jerk: 95 lbs

Deadlift: 200 lbs

Back Squat: 155 lbs.

Haha! I’m not even close to the average! It just goes to show you how amazing the athletes are who competing in the CrossFit Games this weekend. AHHH! I AM SO PSYCHED TO SEE THEM LIVE AND IN PERSON!!!

Breakfast

There was a nearly-empty jar of almond butter in our kitchen (surprise, surprise), so I made Overnight Oats in a Jar last night for breakfast this morning. In the mix: rolled oats, trail mix, sliced frozen strawberries, chia seeds, and almond milk. I also drank a glass of iced coffee with almond milk.

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to CrossFit to get my WOD on. I hadn’t taken a class since my disappointing Fran performance, so I was excited to get back at it.

WOD:

24 Sumo Deadlift High Pull
    12 Calorie row

Rx: (53, 35)
    L2: (45, 30) 2x single unders
    L1: (35, 25) 2x single unders
    Beg: (25, 20); 24 burpees, 48 single unders

I really liked today’s workout because it mixed things up. There were seven different exercises and a couple of them (KB Snatches and V-ups) were ones I hadn’t done in awhile. I also just like high-rep, endurance-style WODs, so this one was fun.

At the start of the WOD, I worked out next to Mal, so I tried to keep pace with him as he did his Burpees. We both did them unbroken and he only beat me by 4 reps, which was a mini victory for me since he’s such an animal when it comes to Burpees. Remember when he did 119 121 Burpees in 7 minutes during the Open? Animal, I tell ya.

For the kettlebell parts of the workout, I used 35 pounds for all of the exercises except the Kettlebell Snatches (I used 25 pounds), which were really tough. I struggled with them during the WOD, so I took some time afterward to work on my form. I think I have it now! Those babies are hard! I finished the WOD in 15:29.

Snack

After CrossFit, I headed home, speed showered, and then drove to NuVal. We had no food in our kitchen and I didn’t have much time, so I mixed up a protein shake to take with me as a snack.

IMG_7808 (480x640)IMG_7819 (480x640)

Lunch

Not surprisingly, by the time I got home from NuVal, I was absolutely famished. FEED ME! As soon as I walked in the door of our house, I headed straight to the kitchen and shoved a handful of almonds into my mouth.

Then, I made lunch, which was an egg and cheese wrap with mixed greens.

IMG_7824 (640x480)IMG_7826 (640x480)

Snack

A couple of hours later, my stomach started to grumble again, so I whipped up a Cherry Pie Smoothie.

In the mix was a scoop of vanilla ice cream-flavored 100% Egg Protein that GNC sent me to try out. Wondering what egg protein is all about? Me too. I just recently heard about it and today was the first time I have ever tried it.

THE BENEFITS OF EGG PROTEIN [source]:

• Highly digestible and absorbable in the body
    • High in protein and amino acids
    • Low in fat, cholesterol and carbohydrates
    • Good choice for those dieting or athletes looking to pack on lean muscle
    • Contains all 9 essential amino acids, which are key for supporting healthy muscle
    • Naturally lactose-free and much easier to digest for those who have trouble with dairy-based protein powders

One serving of the GNC Pro Performance 100% Egg Protein has 120 calories and provides 25 grams of protein. It’s pretty tasty too—it has a strong, sweet, but not overpowering, vanilla flavor. The texture is sort of grainy in the container and not as “creamy” when blended in a smoothie (since it’s lactose-free), but it’s a great option for people who have issues with dairy.

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: 9.3 miles
    • Monday: Off
    • Tuesday: CrossFit
    • Wednesday: CrossFit
    • Thursday: Travel WOD
    • Friday: Travel WOD
    • Saturday: CrossFit

What are your top sources of protein in your diet? Have you ever tried egg protein? Would you want to try it?

P.S. I’m hosting a fun meal planning giveaway on Trading Up Downtown!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries July 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

That egg protein is intriguing! I’d love to try it. My favorite sources of protein are nuts & nut butters, greek yogurt, and eggs.

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 11, 2012 at 10:06 am

Greek yogurt is my favorite source of protein. I like to mix it with dressing or hummus over salads.

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio July 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Eggs, Greek yogurt, an lean meat are my top sources of protein these days!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm

After studying nutrition, I really started focusing on my protein sources and making sure that I get enough for my workout recovery. I saw this the other day on another blog. I want to try this protein powder, but I worry that I get too much protein from eggs since I can’t have whey or casein. I try to change things up constantly with bean, pea, rice, chia, nuts and egg. This sounds good though!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’ve tried egg protein before too but I still like Whey best! Those Crossfit numbers are crazy but then again I guess that’s why they were in the top ten! I’m so excited for you to go to the games and see your recap! I can’t believe the individual competition they added in tomorrow! Craziness!

j3nn July 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I like how you cut the wrap in half, lol. Egg + greens are such a good combo. Yummy.

Kelly July 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I laughed when you said you literally shoved a handful of almonds into your mouth…seriously impressed you took the time to snap a picture first! As for eggs…I am allergic to the whites. I can only eat the yolks. So egg protein probably wouldn’t be great for me unless it was made only with egg yolks which I doubt. I usually use Whey Protein as my go-to drink protein choice. I buy a kind that is gluten, lactose, casien and soy free plus it is sweetened with Stevia.

Jessica July 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I started out with GNC products, but some other CrossFitters at our gym got me hooked on Progenex and Stronger, Faster Healthier which are super high quality and taste pretty amazing.

Hilary July 10, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I can definitely work on getting more protein in my diet! Right now, top sources are Greek yogurt, cheese, meat and beans. I’m not a huge protein powder person, bu th egg protein seems more natural, so I might consider it.

Olivia July 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Do you measure the ingredients for you oiaj?

Tina July 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Not anymore. I just eyeball it. If you click on the OIAJ link, there are measurements there.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I’ve seen egg protein places and have been tempted to get it, but haven’t made the plunge because I just love my sunwarrior so much!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm

That egg and cheese wrap looks so delicious!!

Cindy July 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I’d be interested in trying egg protein. We tried a new whey protein and it gave me major digestive issues to the point I was worried I had become lactose intolerant as I add milk to the powder. (I wish I could do almond or soy milk but I’m allergic to nuts and soy.)

What were your starting weights?

Cait's Plate July 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Oooh I’ve never tried egg protein…but I’m definitely curious!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Nut butters, eggs, some meat … hmm, those are probably the top ones! I also eat some yogurt and nuts. :)

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife July 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I eat eggs a lot but I’ve never tried egg protein! Sounds interesting!

My protein sources are tempeh, eggs, tofu, whey protein, fish & quinoa!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) July 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Top sources of protein in my diet are eggs and chicken, as well as peanut butter, but I don’t think it adds that much in the grand scheme of everything I eat.

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction July 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I’ve never tried egg protein other than actual eggs. I always thought it would add an eggy taste to whatever I was adding it into. For me protein powder has to be virtually untastable, otherwise I won’t use it!

Corrie Anne July 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Whoa. Those Crossfit stats are pretty impressive. I eat a lot of eggs so I love the idea of egg protein too!!

Brie @ Coxswain's Dilemma July 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I try to do protein powder, and on top of that, I eat a lot of eggs, egg whites, meat and peanut butter! I usually hover around 55-70g of protein per day, and I weigh 135. Not so bad.

Melissa July 10, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Nice to see chia seeds again! I wondered where they went :) Why the long hiatus? Cute blue bag by the way!

Tina July 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Long hiatus? I’ve been eating them all along! :)

Chelsea @ Chelseaslovelys July 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Of course the overnight oats in a jar look fantastic! I’m going to have to work on my jar a bit, just to make overnight oats in a jar ;). As if I needed a reason! Egg protein.. hmm sounds interesting! The smoothie looks good and I’d love to give it a try. Right now, I’m pretty stuck on whey protein and Greek yogurt.

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

My main sources of protein are chicken, eggs and greek yogurt. I prefer not to intake tons of protein powders because I would rather eat if given the choice but I will use it in a pinch or when I am craving a smoothie as a main meal.

Lynda @ Sun.Sweat.Run. July 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Always looking for a good protein powder. I usually go the whey route but may have to branch out. I eat lots of eggs, chicken, Greek yogurt and nut butters for protein as well.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I have not tried egg protein powder, however, I buy cartons of egg whites, and add them to my oatmeal every morning. Otherwise, I use Sunwarrior if I want a powdered protein. Can’t beat the convenience. And I think Sunwarrior is the best tasting stuff I’ve tried.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Wow, those Crossfit averages are insane! Can’t wait to see your recap of the games :)

kelsea July 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Where did you get those green and blue outdoor chairs? I’ve been searching for something exactly like that and everything is like $150-300 for one chair – crazy!

Tina July 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Lowes! :)

kelsea July 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm

@Tina: Thank you!! :)

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero July 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Never tried egg protein powder. My protein comes mostly from Greek yogurt (addict), chicken, and nut butters.
    Thanks so much for posting the cross fit stats. All this time I thought I suck because I am super weak and needed to build muscle, nope it’s because I am WAY to tall! (Or at least that is what I am telling myself.)
    My logic… that means I have to push, press, pull, and jerk over 6 inches further than all those girls… that must be what is holding me back from stardom;) Ha!

katie @ KatieDid July 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I don’t tend to supplement so my main protein sources are whole eggs (2-5 a day), beef, chicken, and salmon. I have a dense source of protein at every meal.

Mel July 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hey Tina, have you tried the egg protein yet? I tried the “Gold Standard” brand and had terrible gastrointestinal pain, just wondering if you experienced any stomach discomfort as well?

Tina July 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Nope, no issues! :)

Ida July 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I love Jay Robb’s egg white protein powder, been using it for years.

Pj geek July 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I had a great protein based hot cocoa mix and when I ran out i tried to make a protein rich hot cocoa with a sample of a Jay Robb chocolate whey powder made from egg protein. eggs–heat–stir–scrambled chocolate egg cocoa..I’m serious!

Liz July 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

My protein sources include beef, turkey, occasionally chicken, eggs, beans, cheese/milk, tuna, nuts/nut butter (which I guess belong more in the fats category) and the occasional vegetarian burger. I really have no problem getting enough protein & have actually never tried protein powder. However, I have been considering buying some for use in smoothies.

Jamie July 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Never tried an egg protein powder.. intriguing! My go to sources are ON’s natural whey protein isolate powder, greek yogurt, tuna, chicken, egg whites & eggs.

Annette@FitnessPerks July 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I love my whey protein powder–and since I don’t have issues with lactose, I am not in need of egg protein. But it sounds interesting.

I love turkey, chicken, eggs, cheese, and powders for protein

Emma July 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

WOW that is intense and super impressive! I can’t even imagine deadlifting 304 pounds. And that’s the average so some women must be lifting like… 350 or 400! Ridiculous.

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl July 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm

The average age… hmmm… need to break that barrier and up it. ;)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 10, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’ve never tried it, I’ll have to keep an eye out!

Main sources of protein: whey powder, eggs, chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Pretty typical :-)

Julie July 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Those are some seriously impressive stats…but then again, they are the top 10! My protein sources are usually chicken/turkey, eggs, cheese/milk and occasionally protein powder which I’ve been away from for awhile, but will be bringing back once I’m back at the gym.

Allison@commitcomplete July 11, 2012 at 1:02 am

Do you know if there is a benefit to using egg protein powder rather than just eating eggs or egg whites?

Sarah July 11, 2012 at 1:24 am

I’ve been wondering about egg protein lately, so thanks for the review!

Khushboo Thadani July 11, 2012 at 1:46 am

Eggs & yogurt are my favorite sources of protein…kitchen staples at home!

Anonymous July 11, 2012 at 1:47 am
    Tina July 11, 2012 at 5:25 am

Haha!

Stuft mama July 11, 2012 at 2:36 am

GNC just sent me that same protein powder. I haven’t tried it yet. I’m super curious about it. :) After trying to stay away from dairy my main sources of protein are egg whites, soy and chicken. :) You’re coming to CA soon!! Woo hoo!

dieta July 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

This egg white protein powder was cheap and effective, but the flavor was a little weird, and the powder itself was difficult to mix into drinks.

Peggi July 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm

So does this actually have a nice taste to it or does it still taste “proteiny”? I am having problems finding a protein shake that I like and will actually drink.

Kelly@BalancedDaily July 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I usually try to incorporate protein into my diet with chicken, eggs and nuts (almonds or pistachio’s) Egg protein sounds interesting though, and the fact that you put it into a cherry pie smoothie makes me think that it must have a pretty versatile taste- which seems beneficial to anyones diet. I haven’t tried to make an overnight oats in a jar yet, but I have a jar of almond butter thats on its last leg so I might need to do it!

Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean July 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

GNC sent me the chocolate egg protein and I LOVE IT. SERIOUSLY LOVE IT!!! I had doubts b/c I’m a huge whey protein fan girl, but if you have a chance to try the chocolate …. try. it. I promise you won’t regret it!

Tina July 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Thanks for the rec! I’ll give the chocolate a whirl next! :)