• 2012 CrossFit Games: Saturday, July 14

July 17, 2012

After our WOD Sandwich on Saturday morning, Heather, Kelly, and I headed to the Home Depot Center for Day 2 (well, technically, 3) of the CrossFit Games.

We arrived just in time for the Women’s Clean Ladder:

1-rep Clean every 30 seconds with progressively heavier barbells

Athletes will be ranked by the weight of their heaviest successful clean. Partial pounds will be awarded for each additional deadlift completed after they attempt and fail the clean.

Women’s Weights (pounds) – 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 195, 200, 205, 210, 215, 220, 225, 230, 235.

It was the first time I had seen the women compete, so I kind of geeked-out. I was so excited to see some of the ladies live and in person!

Annie!

Talayna!

Julie!

Elisabeth Akinwale ended up winning the Clean Ladder, but check out the video I took of Lindsey Valenzuela, who came in second place. She was so psyched to have completed it. I love her reaction! You can tell she’s so proud of herself. I mean, 235 pounds?!? Amazing!

After the Clean Ladder, the top 36 female athletes moved onto the following event.

While the stadium was being set up for the next event, we boogied over to the GNC suite to hang out and watch the competition. Thanks so much for the invite, Kelly!

We had GREAT seats!

050 (750x563)

Then, it was time for the Chipper. Check out this workout. I totally want to do it at our box someday. It looks so fun!

For time:
    10 Overhead squats (155 / 105 lbs)
    10 Box jump overs (24” / 20” box)
    10 Fat bar thrusters, (135 / 95 lbs)
    10 Power cleans (205 / 125 lbs)
    10 Toes to bar
    10 Burpee muscle-ups
    10 Toes to bar
    10 Power cleans (205 / 125 lbs)
    10 Fat bar thrusters, (135 / 95 lbs)
    10 Box jump overs (24” / 20” box)
    10 Overhead squats (155 / 105 lbs)

Initially, Talayna took the lead.

But, then Annie caught up on the Power Cleans.

And then she was first to the Toes to Bar.

Meanwhile, Julie was making some serious progress.

And, eventually, she took the lead.

Julie ended up winning the event—Annie was still on the Box jump overs when she finished. I now know why Julie has been dubbed “The Silent Beast!”

I ended up missing most of the men’s Clean Ladder (I went to get lunch and there were some long lines), but I caught the second heat of the Men’s Chipper.

Daniel Tyminski looking strong!

On the way back through the Chipper, Ben Smith took the lead and won the heat.

Then, it was time for the final heat of the Chipper.

At one point, Matt Chan took the lead.

But, Rich Froning and Jason Khalipa caught up to him on the Box jump overs.

Rich Froning ended up winning the event with Jason Khalipa beating out Matt Chan by just a couple of seconds. Check it out!

After the Games, I headed back to my hotel, speed showered, and then met my old college roommate, Rachel, for a drink and some food. We met at Lucille’s Smokehouse BBQ in Long Beach.

I ordered a glass of wine and some BBQ shrimp. I ate a cheeseburger at the Games, so I wasn’t super hungry, but, hey, I can always eat.

It was so nice to see Rachel. She recently got engaged, so it was fun to meet her fiancé and celebrate with them. Even though it had been a couple of years since we’d seen each other, we picked up right where we left off.

Final day of the CrossFit Games is up next!

Cait's Plate July 17, 2012 at 3:06 pm

It’s so incredible to read these posts – I have SO much respect for these people!

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 17, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been thinking the same thing over the CF recaps. Their strength and dedication is so admirable!

Nicole July 17, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Love the recap – I watched all of this on the live stream as well. Must have been so cool to see this all in person!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl July 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Loved watching Annie, Akinwale, Velanzuela, Foucher and many many more.. they were all so awesome! And very inspiring. I definitely got the workout motivation this weekend.

Love Lucilles. I wanted to come down and see you all (I’m about 1hour away from the HD center). I didn’t even think about hanging with you all during the evening. Glad you had a great time. thanks for the recap.

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles July 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

What a jam-packed and fun-filled few days!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Looks awesome Tina!!! The clean ladders must have been so cool to watch! The ladder WOD was one of my favorite events at regionals!

Tina July 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Mine too! It’s amazing what these athletes can do!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I loved watching the women. So inspiring to see them kick ass. Strong is super sexy!

Tina July 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Me too! Seeing them compete was my favorite part of the Games!

Sana July 17, 2012 at 3:47 pm

:) So cool that you got the opportunity to go to the games, you really do love CF!!!

mary @ minutespermile July 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm

these are some intense recaps! do you think you’ll ever get good enough to go to the games?!

Tina July 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Haha! Nope, I’ll never compete in the Games. Those athletes are in a league of their own!

Megan @ Megan's Munchies July 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This post makes me want to go work out!! Looks like such a fun time!!

@pluvk July 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Absolutely amazing! I never realized that Crossfit had this much of a following. I’d love to attend one of these games in the future. How often did you just think to yourself, “I can’t believe I’m here?!”

Tina July 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Omg, like a million times!!!

Taylor @ liftingrevolution July 17, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Looks like so much fun! The energy there looks insane, I would have been screaming and jumping around like crazy, lol.

Tina July 17, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Haha! I totally was!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

LOVE this! Those women are so strong–and that is inspiring and so cool. Great videos–thanks :)

Lea July 17, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Just an observation…seems almost all competitors and spectators are caucasian. Is there a reason why cross fit seems to caters to this demographic?

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) July 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm

They are all beasts!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail July 17, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Your passion for CrossFit is evident! I love reading it through eyes–even though I was right next to you! ha!

robfiasco @ run 2 the hills July 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm

the chipper was amazing! interesting to see that many of the athletes chose not to jump right over the box. I would imagine that would tired you out a bit more….

i love watching the toes to bar. i hope I can do them some day.

Sarah @ Licorice and Olives July 18, 2012 at 7:12 am

Reading these posts has made it feel like we are there! All the way from Australia! We are watching the recordings on line but your blog posts have really made us feel like we are there! I cannot believe you met Froning – so jealous!

Ashley @ Coffee, Cake and Cardio July 18, 2012 at 8:07 am

Those pictures are amazing Tina! What awesome athletes.

Millie Snyder July 18, 2012 at 11:32 am

Wow this competition is intense! Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

Nichole July 18, 2012 at 11:41 am

Tina,

I have been reading your blog for a little over 2 years. Personally, I love the evolution that it has made. I think that you always stay true to yourself. Crossfit is something that you have obviously become passionate about, and your posts reflect this. It would be unauthentic if you kept writing posts about running or other types of exercise, because at the moment these aren’t what you enjoy as much as crossfit. Whether or not readers are crossfitters, elliptical devotees, or running mavens, it is inspiring to see someone who is simply passionate about fitness and caring for their body. Keep up the great work, and no matter what exercise you decide to pursue, I will always be following.

Tina July 18, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks, Nichole! :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

Oh man, I almost wonder if Crossfit will one day be an Olympic sport. Those athletes look crazy strong!

Tina July 18, 2012 at 11:46 am

That’s one of Reebok’s goals for the future! :)

Thais @ Eatsnmiles July 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hey Tina,
    Great posts about CF!! It makes me want to try it…although I don´t know if there are any boxes in Peru, I´ll have to find out.
    I love your blog and have been reading it for 6 months now… you´ve been a major inspiration in starting my own blog. Keep up the great work!
    Cheers!

Lydia July 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I am so thankful for your posts on the CrossFit Games! I feel like I am getting a special insider review of each day and it is so awesome!

Natalie July 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

After all these posts I’m thinking I might need to bite the bullet and do crossfit! I was in love with watching those strongest man competitions growing up and the games would be right up my alley!!

Tina July 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm