• Yogurt Parfait in a Jar

June 12, 2012

I am loving the idea of making a yogurt parfait in a jar. It’s so convenient! And fun! I went into NuVal for a few hours this morning, so I packed one to take with me for lunch. Woohoo! Yogurt parfait to go!

_MG_8588 (750x499)

This morning, while making his breakfast, Mal noticed that our raspberries were going bad, so he instructed me to “finish ’em off.” I hate seeing food go to waste, so these on-their-last-day raspberries inspired today’s yogurt parfait.

_MG_8538 (750x499)

In the mix: Greek yogurt, raspberries, granola, chia seeds, almonds, and frozen chopped kale, which I couldn’t taste once everything was all mixed together.

When I was snapping pics of my lunch, Murphy, of course, needed to check out things. He gave my yogurt parfait a quick sniff.

_MG_8557 (750x499)

And then acted like he wasn’t also about to lick the jar.

_MG_8561 (750x499)

I know this dog well, and if i hadn’t said something to stop him, he would have definitely taken a few bites. He’s a butthead like that, and he knows yogurt parfaits are not for pugs.

_MG_8582 (750x499)

Speaking of yogurt… look what arrived in the mail this morning: Stonyfield Frozen Oikos! I can’t wait to try the new flavors for dessert tonight!

As you know, my first Twitter party is tomorrow night. I’m excited—and, ok, a bit nervous too. What happens if no one joins?! No pressure, but if you’re free tomorrow night, I’d love for you to attend—even if it’s just for a few minutes. Details below.

Frozen Oikos Twitter Party

When: Wednesday, June 13 from 8:00 – 9:00 PM (EST)

Hashtag: #OikosFroYo

The best part about this Twitter party: you can win some really great prizes from Stonyfield. During the chat, we’re going to ask 10 questions, so you have 10 chances to win a prize and then, at the end, we’ll have a random drawing of everyone who participated for a grand prize. Check out what’s up for grabs!

• 5 Stonyfield Cooking Bags, which include a Blue Oikos Tote, Why Eat Organic DVD, Stonyfield Cookbook, Preserve Colander, Preserve Measuring Cups, Oikos Apron, Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender, and Stonyfield Oven Mit.
    • 5 Free Months of Frozen Oikos
    • 1 Stonyfield Gift Bag (grand prize), which includes a Stonyfield Reusable Chico Bag, Recipe Cards, People’s Towel, Preserve Yogurt Cup, Food Inc DVD, Stonyfield Waterbottle (Yoga Cow), Eco Socks, and a free summer of Frozen Oikos.

[rewind to this morning]

Mmm… I loved this morning’s breakfast! I used this pancake recipe, but added 2 tbsp of shredded coconut and 1/4 tsp of coconut extract. I also replaced the sunflower butter with almond butter. Holy yum! Coconut pancake deliciousness!

_MG_8528 (750x499) (750x499)

I topped my pancake with vanilla-flavored agave and a scoop of almond butter. DELICIOUS!

Mid-morning, I snacked on a couple of Peanut Butter Cookies. Obviously, I needed to celebrate National Peanut Butter Cookie Day.

_MG_8470 (750x499) (750x499)

When I got home from NuVal, I whipped up a Banana Bread Smoothie. Mmm! I forgot how much I love this smoothie. I also added a scoop of protein powder to it since I have an active afternoon ahead, and I definitely need something with substance to get me through.

On the agenda this afternoon: walking Murphy, running with a friend, and a CrossFit workout. We’re doing “Eva” tonight. I hear it’s a tough one!!

Corrie Anne June 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Those little agave packets look good! I’ve been buying raspberries for $1 because I guess they’re in season. but they’re going bad so fast!! Totally hate food wasting too!

Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthy.ca June 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I just got into doing the greek yogurt parfait in a mason jar last week! They are so yummy and filled with the most delicious fruits.

And- national peanut butter cookie day? Why didn’t I hear about this sooneR? Looks like I might have to do some baking tonight!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Okay, I would LOVE to join the Twitter party but I have no idea how! I know that you use the hashtag after your comments but who do I follow so that I see everyone who is participating? I am clueless about this!!

Tina June 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Yay! So glad you want to join! To see everyone participating, all you need to do is click on the hashtag (in one of my tweets or yours) and then follow along!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 12, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I went ahead and signed up at Tweetchat to make it a bit easier for a first timer, lol! I will be there:-)

Tina June 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Woohoo! Can’t wait!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Happy National Peanut Butter Cookie Day! I didn’t make cookies but I’ve had a spoonful or 2 of straight up PB today.

Writing a reminder about the #oikosfroyo party tomorrow night right now!

Nikki June 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Clearly I’m a carb-addict, but your protein pancakes confuse me. Do they taste like yummy pillowy pancakes, or like eggs?!! I want to like protein pancakes, I’m just afraid…:-)

Tina June 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Pillowy pancakes! :)

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) June 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Interesting idea putting kale into your parfait!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon June 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh man…Eva…you’re in for a treat! I think it’s the hardest WOD I’ve ever done… brutal, but in a fun way 😉

kellyo June 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’d love to pop in to your Twitter party, but I honestly have no idea how/where to start!

Tina June 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

It’s easy! You just need a Twitter account and the #OikosFroYo hashtag to participate! :)

Annette@FitnessPerks June 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Have fun at CF!!

I love a good parfait–so filling and tasty :)

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love the little agave packets! So neat! Good luck with Eva tonight…it is a tough one!

Julie June 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Ummmm sign me up for the 5-months FREE frozen yogurt.

Lindsey June 12, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think the yogurt parfait in a jar could be better than overnight oats in the jar! I must try it.

Catalina @ Cake with Love June 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Count on me, I am definitely joining the party!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm

That parfait looks soo good! I love the idea of adding the kale!

Mindy June 12, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Yummy eats, as always! I haven’t done Eva yet… but I have heard about it!

Amy @Macncheesenpeas June 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm

The parfait in a jar is genius! i love healthy on-the-go snacks! At first i thought you left the leaves on the strawberries and then I saw you said it was kale! haha

Taylor June 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I wish I could come to the twit-party! I’ll be teaching boot camps until 9 though :(
    I know you’ll do great!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 12, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Your yogurt parfait sounds so good! And I’m going to try and do the twitter thing, but I’ve never done it before. Haha this will be interesting!

Natalie @ freshlifefindings June 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Oh yum! This parfait looks amazing! Ive never done a twitter party.. I want to come!

Courtney June 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I will definitely join your Twitter party if I have a chance. Sounds like fun and a chance to wish some cool prizes :)
    Trust me, I’m no stranger to a dog trying to steal food. I have three beagles and one time they pulled a box containing several dozen cookies off the counter and ate most of them. The next day one of them acted like he felt sick and threw up on the stairs before he felt better. I think he ended up getting most of them.

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I’m the same way about wasting food…it actually bothers me A LOT, to the point where I’ll get genuinely angry at my family members if they let leftovers go bad…or cook too many burgers at a BBQ & forget to put them in the fridge, therefore having to throw them all out (which happened a few weeks ago. Can ya tell I’m still annoyed? 😛 )

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I’ll be at the Twitter party! I love yogurt (obv), and Stonyfield is awesome!

Kristle June 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I can’t wait for the twitter party! My bf says that’s the saddest thing he’s ever heard lol. I was like hey I wanna win prizes, and I don’t even have to leave the couch to do it!

Jill June 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm

No flour in the pancakes?? Really??

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm

that pancake sounds amazing!! And you definitely have to celebrate peanut butter cookie day. I don’t have any cookies but I just ate a peanut butter cookie mini Luna bar – close enough, right? :)

Theodora June 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

That pic of Murph is priceless!

Jamie June 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I have to go find where you got those vanilla flavored agave packets! They are perfect for pancakes. I also can’t wait to try your yogurt parfait in a jar. I just made some homemade granola and have been living on yogurt in the morning, I’ll have to add in some kale tomorrow :)

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy June 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Love the Parfait idea! I’m going to try with coconut yogurt!

Tina June 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Coconut yogurt? I need to check that out!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 12, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The party looks like fun!! Your breakfast jar looks delish! I have one everyday and today I had quinoa, greek yogurt, peanut butter and lots and lots of berries. It’s my favorite on the go breakfast!!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I’ve said it a million times before, but Murphy is just so cute. He is second in cuteness only to my pug, Stewie! 😉

Mandy Richter June 12, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’m new to smoothie making and just got the Ninja. Decided to make your banana bread one. So yummy, thanks for the idea!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 12, 2012 at 9:49 pm

That banana bread smoothie sounds so good!!!

Amy @ Inspired Amy June 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Kale in a yogurt parfait? Genius!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family June 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I do not let ANY food go to waste. I will eat leftover for 4 nights in a row before I throw any out!

Tina June 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Same here! Food is very rarely thrown out in our house.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm

SHUT UP. froyo city over yonder. I’m gonna steal some. love the stony field.

Khushboo June 13, 2012 at 12:20 am

I wasnt impressed with protein pancakes when I tried them but I think I need to give them another go!

Neiddy Ruiz June 13, 2012 at 1:12 am

First of all I want to tell you that I discovered your blog pretty recently but I totally love it! you have so many good ideas, i think you are awesome! I am so excited about your party, its gonna be so much fun! and dont worry about it, is all gonna turn out ok. Just have fun! I know we will! You said there is no need to rsvp right? Well anyway, count me in @neiddy_ruiz . See ya tomorrow… :)

B @ Crags and Veggies June 13, 2012 at 8:37 am

Murphy looks so cute trying to try the yogurt! And those pancakes look divine. Have a great party, I’m definitely going to try and be there!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hooray! Hope you can make it! :)

robfiasco @ run 2 the hills June 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

excited for tonight! I even put a reminder on my phone so I won’t forget! :)

Tina June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

Cait's Plate June 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

Oooh so exciting about the new frozen Oikos flavors! Can’t wait to see what you think!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

That yogurt parfait looks delicious! I’m the same way, I hate wasting food and will always try to use up whatever fresh produce I have, no matter what!

Christina June 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm

MMM MMM MMM That yogurt parfait in a peanut butter/almond butter jar looks amazing! You’re so clever Tina with your food recipes. That sunshine salad looks delish. Im signing up for my first introduction Cross Fit class next week! :)

Christina June 13, 2012 at 12:50 pm

@Christina: @Christina: oops the sunshine salad was your last post. My bad. Im going to see how your twitter party goes!

Kate June 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm

banana bread smoothie= newest obsession! legit….banana bread batter..SO GOOD!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Love the yogurt parfait!

Lisa @ exercise, eat, repeat June 14, 2012 at 4:34 am

I love the look of yoghurt in a jar. Will have to give it a whirl.

Susan June 14, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hey, I read your blog, but I just saw you on lifehacker.com!!! Congrats! :)

Blender Shop November 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Lovely Yogurt Farfait! and everything you’ve prepared. Looks all yummy!