• Until Next Time, Eva

June 13, 2012

“Eva” totally kicked my butt last night. I’m definitely taking a rest day today. Those “New Girls” are no joke!

Many have asked, “Why are the workouts named after Girls?” Coach Glassman, the founder and President of CrossFit explained it best. “I want to explain the workout once and then give it a name. I thought that anything that left you flat on your back, looking up at the sky asking ‘what just happened to me?’ deserved a female’s name. Workouts are just like storms, they wreak havoc on towns.”

The image below has nothing to do with any of the “The Girls.” I just thought it was funny! Haha!

crossfit-bird

[Image source]

Snack

My Banana Bread Smoothie (my first afternoon snack) was delicious, but after I finished drinking it, I wanted something more to eat before my workout, so I snacked on half of a pumpkin ginger NRG Bar before heading out.

Workout

I met my friend Kerrie for a run at Pond Meadow Park, which (I had no idea) isn’t far from our CrossFit box.

Pond Meadow Park has a paved running path, which loops around the inside of the park, so Kerrie and I ran it twice for a total of 3.2 miles. The path was sort of hilly and Kerrie is an animal (she’s fast), so I really pushed myself to keep up. I want to become a faster runner, so it was exactly the kind of workout I need to get better.

At CrossFit, I got my ass handed to me by “Eva.”

“Eva”

5 Rounds for time:

800m Run
    30 Kettlebell Swings
    30 Pull-ups

I checked the comments on the 781 site before class and a bunch of people didn’t finish “Eva” in the 40-minute time cap, so I knew it was going to be tough. My goal was to simply finish in less than 40 minutes, and I tried my hardest, but it just didn’t happen. The frickin’ pull-ups (even with a band) slowed me down, and I finished in 43:45. (The coaches left the clock going for those of us who were almost done and wanted to finish.) (I used a 35-pound Kettlebell for the swings.) Until next time, Eva…

Dinner

At home, Mal and I divided and conquered dinner. He cooked a piece of steak on the grill while I whipped up my own version of a “Sunshine Spinach Salad.”

The original version of the recipe is from Sun-Maid, but some of the ingredients and measurements were a little wacky (3 oranges? vegetable oil?), so I did my own thing with regard to the salad and dressing.

Salad

• 5-6 cups baby spinach or mixed greens
    • 1 orange, peeled and sliced
    • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 cup raisins
    • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
    • 1/2 cucumber, chopped
    • Salt and pepper to taste

Dressing

• 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 2 tsp honey
    • 1 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
    • 1/2 tsp tarragon leaves
    • Dash nutmeg

2012-06-13_0827

I topped my salad with grilled steak, and the end result was de-lic-ious!

This recipe is definitely a keeper!

A bite of steak for the pug! (He’s so spoiled!)

For dessert, I ate a couple of Peanut Butter Cookies and drank a glass of wine. Cookies + wine = the best.

2012-06-13_0824

Feel Great Weight

tina-rope-climb

About six months ago, I took my first CrossFit class, and I loved it immediately. And I’m not alone! It’s never the same thing twice and many of the exercises (Burpees, Mountain Climbers, and rope climbs) remind me of those I did as a kid, so the workouts are fun and exciting. Plus the “constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements” constantly challenge and push me, so I’ve seen some serious results, which makes me stick to it. (I typically attend 3-5 CrossFit workouts each week.) Here are just some of the changes I’ve seen: New Workouts, Big Results!

If you could have a workout named after you, what type of workout would it be and what type of exercises would you include in it?

Mine would be some sort of endurance workout with running and lots of different exercises. It’d probably be some sort of chipper with all of my favorite exercises (obviously) and running mixed in—sort of like my Marathon Monday WOD with my Hooray for Honduras WOD. And, of course, there would be some Thrusters in it since they’re my favorite exercise. (I know, I’m a crazy.)

P.S. Check out my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies over on the Pretzel Crisps blog. They are ridiculously delicious!

Ali @ Peaches and Football June 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

Wow… I can’t imagine doing even half that many pull-ups with or without a band! I love that running path – what a perfect place for a run. Very jealous!!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food June 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

Love the salad…great ingredients! :)

Farah June 13, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hi Tina,
    I’m just curious about your thoughts on re-fueling after workouts. I know from my nutrition classes that Carbs are the body’s primary source of energy, and most sports nutrition recommendations are to consume high-glycemic foods immediately after a really tough workout to replenish glycogen stores as quickly as possible.
    After your Crossfit workouts (like Eva) do you eat/drink anything with carbs immediately after to restore your glycogen stores – or wait for dinner? Since your dinners seem to be based on high protein and complex cabs like vegetables, I’m wondering if you feel extra sore because you may not be replenishing your muscles with enough carbs post workout (?)

I’m a nutrition nerd and student so just curious :) Would love to know your thoughts on feedback on how you feel!

Thanks!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

I think what you said is a great way to refuel after a workout, and I usually consume something with carbs and protein after mine, especially really tough workouts. A lot of the time, it’s a protein shake made with coconut or almond milk. Last night, I ate the other half of my NRG bar as soon as I got home from CrossFit and then whipped up dinner.

mary @ minutespermile June 13, 2012 at 9:47 am

bird photo is hilarious. i would have a workout that involved running, burpees, and a rihanna playlist.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

that salad sounds delicious!! and i know my husband would love it for sure. i need to add that to our menu for next week!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

I actually think it’s good you didn’t finish in under 40, because now you have something to work towards! I’m sure you’ll kill that 40 minutes the next time you try! And oh gosh, I have no idea what my workout would be, definitely running involved, but no pylometrics, I HATE those! Haha, but definitely weights, and maybe a little boxing!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 9:55 am

Exactly! Now I’m gunning to beat 40 minutes next time! :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

That run on it’s own would kick my butt! Love the storm analogy.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop June 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

I had to laugh because to me you *are* a fast runner! I am excited when I can average 10 minute miles (my usual long run pace is 11) so to me, you are one quick lady!
    ~Ang

Mindy June 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

My box hasn’t done “Eva” yet but it sounds like a good one- a hurts so good one! 35-lb kettlebell swings… goodness. I hear ya, Tina!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

By the 5th round of KB swings, I was dying!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 13, 2012 at 9:58 am

Ummm, I want that salad. :) You had a couple great workouts yesterday with the run and CrossFit!! Impressive.

Laura June 13, 2012 at 10:01 am

nice job on eva! that sounds like a tough WOD for sure. random question – i really like your salad dressing bottle! where’d you get it?

Tina June 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

It was a wedding gift, but I think it’s from Crate & Barrel.

Khushboo June 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

Love the sound of the salad, especially the crunch from almonds :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Let me get this straight — 5 x 30 pull-ups and 5 x 30KB swings @ 35#!? #beastmode

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl June 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

LOOOOL love the rationale to naming the workouts after girls…. I NEED to find a Crossfit in Amsterdam!

Cait's Plate June 13, 2012 at 10:13 am

That salad looks delicious!

And pumpkin ginger sounds like such a good flavor!

Susan Moore June 13, 2012 at 10:18 am

How much do you pay for Crossfit? You speak so highly of it, I was wondering how expensive it is? Thanks, Susan

Tina June 13, 2012 at 10:22 am

Every CrossFit is different, so the membership rate varies quite a bit, and it depends on a number of factors, including the location (city versus suburbs), how often you go (unlimited, 3 x week, 2 x week), number of members and coaches, how long the box has been open, etc. I’ve heard of people paying as little as $60/month as well as more than $200/month for an unlimited membership. Every CrossFit is independent of each other, so prices vary quite a bit, which means you’ll need to contact your local box to see what the going rate is.

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) June 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

Congrats on Eva! I just did Angie this morning AFTER a 5 mile tempo run (I’m a moron!). It’s 100 pull-ups, pushups, sit-ups, and squats. I finished that beast in 15:25. I am SO HAPPY that I have the rest of the day to lounge. My butt = glued to a chair.

Tina June 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

Nice job! Annie is a tough one from what I hear!

AllieNic | Frisky Lemon June 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

Awesome job on Eva– I feel like 30 is the threshold number where I start to think “that’s a lot of reps!”

That salad looks SO delicious. I love steak on salad.

If I had a workout named after me, it would definitely involve some heavy hang power cleans and air squats!

Clare @ Fitting It All In June 13, 2012 at 10:59 am

I haven’t done Eva yet but it looks like a beast! yesterday we did the workout prescribed from Crossfit.com and it nearly killed me.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

That Eva workout looks killer! Pull-ups are evil and one of my fitness goals I definitely need to work on. I’m also working on becoming a faster runner, my roommate is fast so I should probably go on more runs with her to push myself! Oh, and that salad looks delicious! Great recipe!

Corrie Anne June 13, 2012 at 11:08 am

That sounds like a TOUGH one!!! Wow. You were really close. Awesome.

A workout named after me would have to have BURPEES, box jumps, and running. My three faves.

Tina June 13, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’d LOVE that workout! Those are some of my favorites too!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves June 13, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh how I would love a WOD named after me! It would have box jumps, thrusters, running, double unders, and sit ups.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

That salad looks awesome! I love fruit in my salad! Good job on Eva! That one is terrible! It’s so many pull-ups! My ideal WOD would be either a chipper with things like burpees, box jumps…or something like “Grace” just a barbell movement! I’m the total opposite of you, I hate the endurance ones…no running or rowing for me please!

Nessa June 13, 2012 at 11:22 am

After reading all of your posts about your love of crossfit, I decided to give it a try. I finished the two week intro and have now signed up for a month; I can see why you are hooked. Last night I was at class and a guy there was wearing a crossfit shirt from your box. I almost walked up and asked if he knew you, but I then realized I don’t really “know” you, I just read your blog so that might be weird :-). Anyway, I figured I should at least say hi to you and say thanks for the inspiration; your blog is awesome.

Tina June 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Really!?! Which box were you at? That’s so cool! Glad you’re loving CrossFit! :)

Nessa June 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

@Tina: I was at San Francisco crossfit; pretty funny it’s as if you are a crossfit fairy. You might need to start getting compensation for all the people you are inspiring.

Tina June 13, 2012 at 11:50 am

Oh my gosh, was he a big, handsome guy with dark hair?

Nessa June 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

@Tina:Yes he was :-)

Annette@FitnessPerks June 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

Nice job on the pull-ups! Hardcore, lady!

I’d name it -the workout-Jennifer and do tons of clean and presses, mountain climbers, burpees, and squats. All favorites of mine :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 13, 2012 at 11:34 am

Every time I read about Crossfit I am amazed by what you ladies (and men) do. I’ll have to try it myself one day!

That salad looks delicious. I’ve been loving adding meat or fish to salads lately. It really takes them up a notch.

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

I am tired after just reading about your workout!! I am going to have to put some thought into what a workout named after me would look like. I do know it will have to be challenging and FUN!!!

Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run June 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

That steak looked perfect! My crossfit workout would have ALOT of burpees!

Ashley @ Coffee, Cake and Cardio June 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm

The Assley workout, I mean Ashley workout would kick your ass. Box squats, blurpees, and snatches. Fun!

Annie June 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Coach Glassman’s explanation was so surprising that I had to read it twice to make sure I read right. Hilarious!

(And then of course I had to tell hubs, who loves dirty jokes and the like)

Dani @ Run Daniella Run June 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You are really getting me inspired to try out Cross Fit, two things about it scare me. First the price and then the hard work, which I shouldn’t be afraid of the hard work but for some reason I really am! I am starting my marathon training this week and want to feel strong when I run in October I feel like doing Cross Fit for my cross training could be really beneficial, I just need to take the plunge!

Cassie June 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm

10 Box Jumps
    10 Pushups

For time!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I like it!!!

Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love June 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Did that salad feed the two of you or did you have leftovers?

Tina June 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm

It fed us both for dinner + Mal’s lunch today. He went back for seconds last night, so the recipe is probably 3-4 meals.

Sherry June 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Could you provide more details about the type of steak Mal cooked? I don’t have a grill and typically shy away from steak because I don’t know how to cook it. What kind of meat, temp, cook time, stove top cooking tips etc? Sounds delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Mal cooked it on the grill. It was sirloin and he just used salt and pepper as seasonings. When we cook meat, we use a thermometer to make sure it’s cooked through. Hope this helps!

Kerrie June 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Awwwwww thanks for the plug: )))))))) Love my CF partner!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I had no idea the workouts were named after women… I kind of love that!

Christina June 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Holy Cow! you’re a beast! I think I said this earlier but Im trying my very first cross fit introduction class next monday. Im a littler nervous as I am also training for my first half marathon. Kettle bell swings are so hard for me to do! I don’t have the correct form and often look like a lumberjack when I do them at the gym. Have a good day :)

Tina June 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm

You’ll do great! Have fun! :)

Kelly June 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm

There already is a WOD with my name – Kelly!

Five rounds:
    Run 400 meters
    30 Box jump
    30 Wall ball shots

It’s sort of similar to Eva, just with different movements.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

That salad look so good!! And I’m with you … wine and cookies is pretty much the best night ever. ;)

Mara June 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

“Laura”

(cuz she’s out Saturday kickboxing instructor that hands me arse every week!) So probably something like this starts off our class… just to warm us up!

20 crunches (with medicine ball from over our head)
    20 push ups (from standing, jump down into position, push up, then jump back standing up, repeat 20 times)
    1 min low plank
    1 min high plank
    20 side kicks (each leg)
    20 front kicks (each leg)
    1 min shadow box
    1 min jumping jacks
    (repeat 3 times)

Natalie @ freshlifefindings June 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I love the phrase “got my ass handed to me” then you know it was a hard workout ;)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm

lol, love that picture! And I love reading about your crossfit experience! I just like to find out about different kinds of fitness. And my name is very NICE and GENTLE-sounding…so I’m gonna go with more of a ballet of pilates type routine! haha.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 13, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Very impressed with the rope climbing pic! Badass!

My WOD would definitely involve running of some sort, wall balls, and burpees. I’m one of those odd people who actually likes burpees!

Alex June 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Oh, Pond Meadow! My boyfriend’s dad lives about a mile from there, so that is my go-to running spot whenever we visit. I love the regular path, and the added trails to mix it up are great, too. But you are right about the hills! They start getting to me on the third or fourth loop. ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I seriously lol’ed at the explanation for why the CrossFit workouts are named after girls. :D

Also that spinach salad looks awesome!

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 13, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I’ve been in such a salad mood lately, probably because my family had an event catered recently and had a huge container of leftovers of the most delicious salad: mixed greens, sliced strawberries, walnuts, oranges, craisins, & feta cheese. I don’t even use dressing with it…SO GOOD. The salad you made kind of reminds me of that one!

Jessica @ Sweet Tooth Gets Healthy June 13, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Where do you get the NRG bars? They sound delish!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I got them from Reach the Beach! :)

Elina (Healthy and Sane) June 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

I’m really impressed with how far you’ve come with crossfit and how consistent you’ve been with those workouts. Do you think having Mal there is part of it? I wish Adam would be into it. I took a crossfit class about a year ago and loved it but I can’t afford a membership. I plan on taking a few drop-in classes though at the new Back Bay location. You’re an inspiration! :D

Tina June 14, 2012 at 9:01 am

It definitely helps having Mal into it too, but I think I’d like it just as much even if he didn’t go! (I have issues! LOL!)

stacy01 June 15, 2012 at 12:36 am

I love that wine and the salad. Thanks for posting the recipe here.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Oy vey! 800m repeats aren’t easy to begin with. I remember that much from my track & field days :)

Tina June 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Did you catch his name? Brian?

Nessa June 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

@Tina: Sounds right, but I met a bunch of people since I’m a newbie. I’ll see if he is there tonight.