• Quote Book

June 13, 2012

A few weeks ago, when I was looking for embarrassing photos of Mal for his Super Awesome 30th Birthday Weekend, I stumbled upon my old quote book. In high school, I started it to record my favorite quotations, and I continued to do so for many years.

I ended up filling the last page of my quote book sometime during my senior year of college, so I haven’t thought about it much since then. But, today, I took some time to flip through it. I love motivational quotes and mantras, so it was neat to see what inspired me 10-15 years ago. Surprisingly, it hasn’t changed very much!

On the first page of my quote book is a quotation about passion. I actually had this quote framed, and it hung on my bedroom wall throughout high school.

The Essence of Passion

Passion is powerful… nothing was ever achieved without it, and nothing can take its place. No matter what you face in life, if your passion is great enough, you will find the strength to succeed. Without passion, life has no meaning. So put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the essence of passion. This is the secret to life.

Passion really is the secret to life. Imagine a life without it. It wouldn’t be very happy or productive in my opinion.

On the second page of my quote book:

We’re not all designed to be straight A students, celebrities, world class athletes or the CEO of a major corporation. But we are designed to make the most of the skills and abilities we do possess. Perhaps the most splendid achievement of all is the continuing quest to surpass ourselves.

I love this quote, too—although at 16 or 17 years old, there’s a good chance I didn’t fully understand its importance in life.

My quote book also has pages devoted to specific topics, including:

Goals

Goals are dreams with a time limit.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.

Success

Success comes to those who make things happen, not to those who let it happen.

It’s not the load that breaks you, it’s the way you carry it.

Not doing more than average is what keeps the average down.

We all have two choices: we can make a living or we can design a life.

Love

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others.

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age.

And pages and pages and pages of Dave Matthews Band quotes (lyrics) because I was a tad obsessed with DMB in high school and college.

Flipping though my quote book, I also found this loose piece of paper with a fun quote on it:

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Haha! I assume this also applies to dogs (especially pugs), right? When Murphy wants breakfast, he wants breakfast, and it doesn’t matter if it’s 5:30 on a Sunday morning!

Another favorite quote:

my head.
    it loves to go for runs.
    because it loves the chance to think.
    to have long conversations with myself.
    and every time I feel surprised.
    I never realized how badly we needed to talk.

On long runs nowadays, I still sometimes recite this poem in my head. It reminds me exactly why I love running so much.

And my favorite quote ever:

000workass

Ok, technically, my favorite quote is “good things happen to people who work hard,” but I like this one better. It has a bit more edge!

Are you a quote person? What’s your favorite quote? Did you keep a diary or journal growing up?

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was an almond-flavored protein pancake. I used this recipe, but added a 1/2 tsp of almond extract to the mix. I topped my pancake with more almond butter and sliced almonds.

IMG_6110 (750x563) (2)

I drank water with breakfast and then poured myself a glass of iced coffee with coconut milk, which I drank while working away at my desk this morning.

Snack

Mid-morning, I felt snacky, so I munched on a couple of handfuls of roasted, unsalted almonds.

_MG_8655 (750x499)

Lunch

A couple of hours later, I whipped up a batch of Sweet Potato Wedges (cooked in coconut oil). Lately, I’ve been making big batches and storing the leftovers in the refrigerator for a quick and easy snack or side dish.

2012-06-13_1454

Lunch was Sweet Potato Wedges with ketchup.

_MG_8710 (750x499)

And egg whites with kale, tomatoes, grated Parmesan cheese, and a scoop of Greek yogurt mixed in.

_MG_8700 (750x499)

_MG_8715 (750x499)

Now I’m in search of a snack before dinner. Feed me!!!

P.S. The Stonyfield Frozen Oikos Twitter Party is tonight! If you’re free from 8:00 – 9:00 PM (EST), I’d love for you to pop in to join the discussion—and you can win some great prizes! The hashtag is #OikosFroYo. Be there or be square!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles June 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I used to keep a quote journal too and I still love flipping through it and reading them. No matter what kind of a day I’m having, they help so much!

Heather June 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

i have one of those books from my high school/college years, too! :) LOVE all the inspirational and motivational words in this post!! xo

Annette@FitnessPerks June 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I agree with so many of these quotes! I especially love the first one about passion (soooo true!!) and the second one. And of course the last–good things DO come to those who work their butts off.

Your lunch looks similar to something I’d make myself too. YUMM! You have great, simple ideas. Have fun tonight (I am teaching BodyPUMP, so I can’t join the party) :)

Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Wow, you were a much more thoughtful, wise 16 year-old than I was! I absolutely love these quotes, I’m bookmarking this page for whenever I need a little inspiration. This quote in particular is speaking to me: “We all have two choices: we can make a living or we can design a life.” So true!

Jessica June 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I have a quote book from high school too! I stumble upon it each time I move and it always makes me wish that I had kept it up, but of course now we have pinterest to organize them!

When do you mix the yogurt into your eggs? I would love for mine to be creamier while adding more protein!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I mix the yogurt in with the other ingredients.

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio June 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I love going through old journals. I love to see how I’m consistent in certain thoughts and that Ive grown a lot over the years.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I had a quote book that I started in middle school, although I stopped writing in it after high school, I guess that’s what computers do to you!

kristle June 13, 2012 at 5:29 pm

cute quotes. i especially like the goals one. i just got back from a bike ride where i had a goal on how far i was going to go, but wasn’t sure if i’d turn back early. those are my favorite rides/runs/adventures – where you don’t know if you can do it, but then you do. it’s the best feeling!
    i have a little notebook from middle school with a bunch of shakespeare quotes & song lyrics… and i actually have all my written journals from about age 11 through 23!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 13, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I use to love quotes too, and I still do! I have a lot that I like but one of my favorites is,

“Be strong now, because things will get better. It might be raining now, but it can’t rain forever.”

Roz@weightingfor50 June 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I LOVE the quote book. And I’m a quote nerd. I have them pinned on my desk, and I’m always on the look for more.
    Someone just sent me one this morning:
    “Grant me the wine to make bearable what I cannot change, the beer to make it funny and the wisdom not to ever get my knickers in a knot, cause it solves nothing and makes you walk funny”.
    I can also tell you first hand, the cat one is completely true!!!
    Have a great Wednesday Tina.

Tina June 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Haha! Love your quote! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) June 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I love quotes, you’ve got some good ones there. Totally pinning that last one :) Time you enjoyed wasting was not time wasted..John Lennon

kristle June 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

@Michelle (Peachy Palate): my ex used to say that all the time… i never knew it was a john lennon thing!

Jill (Lady Lazarus) June 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I used to keep a quote book, too! Forbes magazine always used to have a bunch on their back pages and I’d steal my dad’s copies out of the trash when he was done with them and cut my favorites out :)

I also keep meaning to try one of your protein pancakes. Maybe this weekend!

Ina June 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us” Ralph Waldo Emerson

one of my faves.

Eileen June 13, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Great quotes! One of my absolute favorites is “do the right thing, it will stun some and impress the rest.” I also love “want it more than you’re afraid of it”. :)

Andrea June 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hi Tina! Do you buy a carton of egg whites or just separate the eggs? Just curious!

Tina June 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I buy liquid egg whites in the carton.

Brittany June 13, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I have a quote book as well!! I still write quotes in now, I might have to add some of yours;) I love flipping through my quote book every once in awhile, very motivational/inspirational.

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit June 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Love all those quotes! Especially the one about passion. Can you believe that one of my favorite quotes (if it even counts as that) is “no use crying over spilled milkshake” from the movie Grease. I try to always remember that there’s no use getting upset about the past or something that didn’t work out how you wanted. Learn from it and move on.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy June 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Ah, YES! I have one of those lying around somewhere with little magazine cut outs of things I liked and sappy/inspirational quotes. It’s always fun to look back on old journals/diaries too and read what our younger selves were obsessing over.

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 13, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Your meals look awesome today! Love the quote book idea too! What brand of coconut milk do you use in your coffee? I can never find one I like?

Tina June 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Thanks! It’s the SO Delicious brand.

Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities June 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I never kept a diary when I was younger because I never felt like my life was interesting or exceptional enough to keep a daily log of, and it really wasn’t at that age.
    I like quotes, but I’m not a huge quote person. For a while my favorite quote has been: “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” – Albert Einstein
    Of course it’s not exactly inspirational, but it’s amusing.

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I might actually steal that quote book idea from you. I am a HUGE quote person…it’s kind of a running joke amongst my friends that they can expect to always see post-it notes all over my room with motivational quotes on them. I keep my quotes in random places, though…on post-its, in planners, on my phone, etc. I should just put them all in a book — so thanks for the idea!

Kelly June 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I have/had a book like that too!! I

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I love the idea of a quote book. One of my favorite’s is the classic, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” by Eleanor Roosevelt. I may have quoted that incorrectly, but you get the gist. lol

Lauren June 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Okay so now I like you just a little bit more (if that was even possible) knowing that you were a huge DMB fan. I was obsessed in high school (and still am. :) Even if you don’t like his music, you have to admit, man can certainly say a few good words.

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets June 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Love quotes! I went through a period in high school when I was OBSESSED with romance quotes too. Ohhh the drama of high school relationships… hahaha. Here are my two fav quotes now:

“Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you can’t change, kiss slowly, play hard, forgive quickly, take chances, give everything, and have no regrets. Life is too short to be anything but happy.”

“Today isn’t preparation for tomorrow. Today is the main event.”

Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian June 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Yes, I use to keep a journal. Still have it somewhere.
    Now I keep quotes on my phone, in journals, on my hand until I find paper, on the computer in random documents and of course on Facebook!

Brita June 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Wow, I love “We all have two choices: we can make a living or we can design a life.” I just quit my traditional, 9-5 desk job in favor of working at a yoga retail store while I try to get my Masters in Nutrition. I decided that “meh, okay” wasn’t the answer I wanted to give, for the rest of my life, when people asked how my day was. It’s scary, but I’m designing a life over here!

My favorite quote is from Emerson: “Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero June 13, 2012 at 9:43 pm

These two keep me going during long training runs:
    “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham
    “I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.” ― Mae West

And this one… Well it’s just my favorite ever!
    “Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would most likely be worth it.”
    ― Harvey MacKay

Melissa June 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I love quotes. I google subjects all of the time. Two of my favorites:

A teacher once asked John Lennon what he wanted to be when he grew up. John Lennon said that he wanted to be happy. The teacher said mr. Lennon did not understand the question. John Lennon said that the teacher did not understand life.

The most beautiful views are from the valley. From the peak, everything just looks small.

Jillian June 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I saw the US Sailing sticker… Do you sail?

Tina June 13, 2012 at 10:06 pm

No, it’s just a sticker. I must have thought it was cool in 1996! :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 13, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Those are great quotes… pretty insightful for a 15 year old!

Sarah June 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I totally had/have a quote book! I updated it regularly in college. It still sits on my bedside table – need to break it back out!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy June 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Am I a quote person?! … Quote Queen or Quote Junkie doesn’t even START to describe how I feel about quotes! Just yesterday I posted about how my friend told me that my mind functions in quotes. It’s true. I’m okay with it. I added an inspiration reel with the cheese all concentrated in one spot on my blog since my friends were telling me they were overwhelmed on Facebook and twitter (I still think they are, but maybe I’ve toned it down)!

I always keep a diary or journal (plus a blog, now!) or write on random papers. It’s the only way I know to sort things out!

My favourite quote is really hard to choose but I think “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” LOVE! OR “We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” LOVE TOO!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I love quotes! My fav quote is:

The universe tends to unfold as it should.

-Harold & Kumar

Haha. Good quote though.

Beks June 14, 2012 at 12:35 am

I was so obsessed with my quote book in high school. I had quotes on my notebooks, book covers, I said things to my reflection as I got ready for school. If I were into student government, I would’ve been Tracy Flick of “Election” fame. Minus the affair and nervous tick.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 14, 2012 at 1:03 am

I LOVE quotes! Absolutely love them! One favorite is “What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail.” My current favorite is one by Marilyn Monroe: “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”

Lisa @ exercise, eat, repeat June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am

I love quotes and have them pinned to my work desk.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 14, 2012 at 7:58 am

A quote book is such an awesome idea! I never did that, but I kept and on and off journal when I was a teen. I haven’t written in it in years though! I feel like my blog has become my replacement journal. :P

Jen June 14, 2012 at 8:44 am

Is the coconut oil on the sweet potatoes in replace of olive oil?

Tina June 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Yep!

Steffany June 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

I have been writing quotes in my daily planners for like the past ten years ! (: It is so neat to go and look back on and thumb through things that meant something to me then, and usually mean even more now.

Jessica Y June 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hi Tina – I just signed up for my first half-marathon and was wondering if you could give any suggestions on energy gels/ways to refuel during a race? I want to train with whatever I will use on race day so I am looking for some options! Thanks :)

Tina June 14, 2012 at 9:30 am

I really like the vanilla and lemon sublime GU gels, but you should try out a few different options to see what you like best before race day. When I was training for my first marathon, I’d try a new type of fuel every long run to see how it “jived” with my body. Here’s a post on fueling: http://carrotsncake.com/2010/10/fuel-for-the-long-run.html Hope it helps and good luck with your half marathon! :)

Cait's Plate June 14, 2012 at 10:31 am

I did keep a journal growing up – I love going back and consulting it now. And I’m definitely a quote person. Sometimes the right quote is just so helpful!

Kerrie June 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

So funny T! I just posted that quote on my KFIT this AM and didnt even see this…great minds: )

Jolynn @ Lift Pray Love June 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Love those! And loved reading everyone’s favorite quotes. Two of mine are:

“Fall seven times, stand up eight.”
    “Never give up on something you can’t go a day without thinking about.”

tljordan June 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm

My favorite quote is from Mark Twain: “It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”

Love!

Janet June 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I love your recipe for the sweet potato wedges! Last night, I modified it a bit, cut them into small bite squares, used a bit of coconut oil and chipotle spices and roasted them the regular way. When done, I toasted some sliced almonds and tossed everything with some quinoa. SO GOOD!!!

Tina June 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm

That sounds delicious! So glad they turned out well! :)

Stacey June 15, 2012 at 6:58 am

Psst. My friend Jason actually wrote that last quote. He has a funny post about it’s “rise to popularity” and he’s kicking himself for not putting his name/logo/webaddy in the corner. Thought you might enjoy the story!

Tina June 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

That is so cool! Thank you for sharing the link! :)

Ginger June 15, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I thought I was the only one who kept a quote book instead of a journal! To this day, I still keep one in the top drawer of my nightstand. Love some of your quotes!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm

As a college kid myself, I love quotes. I’m sure I don’t understand the half of them, but I love them nonetheless :) The one’s about success and love are particularly interesting!