• Party Hopping in Seattle

June 9, 2012

Seattle is such a cool city. The vibe is totally chill and laid-back here. I love it.

Once the third session of the conference ended yesterday afternoon, I changed into my sneakers and then met Monica and Kath for a little exercise. Our plan was to walk 1.3 miles to the Five Bamboo offices for a visit, but, somehow, I managed to get us lost—even though I used the map for directions on my iPhone. Amazing, right? We ended up walking about double the distance, but, thankfully, Monica and Kath are big fans of walking, so they didn’t seem to mind the extra exercise. Even still, it took us about 45 minutes to get to Five Bamboo! Oops.

FYI: The photo below is of the very first Starbucks! Cool!

At Five Bamboo, we chatted with the team, checked out some of their new summer clothing, and got to know their mascot, Rukhi, who is the sweetest dog ever—besides Murphy, of course. I miss that little Gremlin!

After visiting with the lovely ladies of Five Bamboo, I headed to Purple Café & Wine Bar to meet a college friend/old roommate for a glass of wine.

Purple was gorgeous inside! What a neat space!

When my friend Pam arrived, I ordered an Italian white wine (dry-ish, mineral-y) to drink.

It was great catching up with Pam. We hadn’t seen each other in a few years, but we picked up right where we left off. (Don’t you love friends like that?)It turns out that she does CrossFit too, so we had plenty to talk about.

After a couple of hours, I said goodbye to Pam and met Monica at the hotel to walk to RN74 together for an event hosted by Silk.

Seattle was chilly last night, so we dressed in our finest sweatshirts for the walk to the event.

Much better!

(I tried to do the fancy arm pop that celebrities do in photos, but I am clearly too awkward to pull it off.)

The event showcased some new ways to use soymilk. Ok, it was just one way, but it was really good: in mixed drinks.

Soymilk cocktails? I was a little skeptical at first, but I enjoyed both of the drinks I tried (Iced Spiced and Colorado Blossom) last night.

The Colorado Blossom was so, so, so tasty. It was made with Silk vanilla soymilk, lavender simple syrup, muddle strawberries, and Peychaud bitters. It was light and refreshing and sort of reminded me of a fruit smoothie… but with booze in it.

In addition to fun cocktails, the event included a bunch of delicious appetizers and a handsome bartender, who looked a lot like Joel McHale. I {heart} Community and The Soup.

IMG_5844 (480x640)IMG_5842 (480x640)

I was a little buzzed up after a glass of wine with Pam and a couple of cocktails at the Silk event, so I chowed down on the appetizers.

Feed me!

Monica and I spent about an hour at the Silk event and then headed to different event put on by Stonyfield. I drank another glass of wine and ate a few more appetizers there.

IMG_5864 (480x640)IMG_5865 (480x640)

The Stonyfield event was a lot of fun—I caught up with a bunch of old blog friends and met some new ones.

The event concluded with a few words from Kath and Amelia about what it means to them to know their food and how their perspectives changed once they started to “eat for two.”

IMG_5869 (480x640)IMG_5870 (480x640)

After hearing from Kath and Amelia, Monica and I said a few goodbyes and then headed back to the hotel. We are 85 years old were exhausted, so we chatted for a bit in bed and then passed out hard.

Would you rather stay at one party all night long or party hop?

Heather June 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

cough. Joel McHale. cough.

Tina June 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Haha! I’m an idiot. Thank you! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Looks like a fun evening with some great eats!! :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I love 5 Bamboo’s clothes! So soft and comfy yet stylish. It’s nice to see the faces behind the clothes!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Hahaha appetizers + glasses of wine and good company. Does it get any better? :)

Grace @ Grace Dishes June 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Gorgeous photos! I love Seattle. I lived there 6 years growing up but I was very young. I have yet to go back as an adult but I’ve been meaning to.

Suzanne @ Fitmindedmom June 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I would party hop for sure!! I like to get in on the fun everywhere:)

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family June 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I think the arm pop worked for you! Before I read that caption i was thinking, “man her arms look good”!

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm

You always seem to hit up the best/coolest restaurants in any city you go to…do you research on Yelp or anything beforehand, or just venture out & hope for the best?

Tina June 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I was invited to the restaurants by Silk and Stonyfield, so they picked them! :)

Julia June 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Tina glad to see you are having fun on the west side! Also, where did you get that super cute dress!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm

That blue dress is adorable on you!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks like a really fun weekend! I love your dress and shoes, so cute!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) June 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm

If you’ve got two invites and both involve free food…of course go to the two of them!!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

It depends on the people, if I love everyone at one party, there’s no need to leave! Otherwise it’s fun to hop and mix things up! Looks like you had a great evening!

Sana June 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I think party hopping is fun! You get to see and do so much in one night!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

What a fun party hopping day! That colorado blossom drink looks awesome!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 9, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Omigosh, that drink sounds delicious!!

BroccoliHut June 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Cool! I never would have thought to use soymilk in a mixed drink…but it sounds delicious!

the clean eating mama June 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Just an fyi – Joel mchale is from Seattle! My husband went to high school with him: )

Tina June 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Cool! Maybe it was him? ;)

lauren June 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I agree with the other comments – where did you get that dress?? :) Looks so good!

Tina June 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Thanks! It’s from J.Crew!

Deb @ wiseupslimdown June 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Yes, Seattle really is an awesome city. I have lived here 4 years. On a sunny day nothing beats Seattle. But after 4 years of dark cloudy skies and rain 9 months of the year I am moving back to San Francisco. I will miss it here though

I love Purple, it is a very cool restaurant/bar. I walk by RN every day but have not eaten there. Looks like fun.

Katie @ A Full Plate June 9, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Looks like you’re having so much fun! My bf and I visited friends in Seattle last October and I loved it there.

I like party hopping. I like the change of scenery and I tend to get bored easily!

Amelia June 10, 2012 at 2:34 am

I too am an old lady. Two nights in a row staying up til midnight is like a lifetime record for me – ha! Nice chatting with you today, hope you have a smooth trip back :)

Tina June 10, 2012 at 8:02 am

Haha! Monica and I were in bed before 10 last night! So nice to finally meet you and chat some! :)

Christina June 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I love your dress! Its so pretty! Seattle seems like such a fun city! Im thinking of heading out to either the west coast or east coast for grad school, but thats a few years away! That cocktail looks delish!

Christina June 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm

@Christina: I would party hop all night long! Party Hopping is the best! When you get bored with one party just move on to the next party or bar!

Rebeka June 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Ah I love that you were in Seattle!! Purple is so, so good! I hope you had the best time here.

christina r June 11, 2012 at 2:10 am

That’s my city!! Let me know next time you head out there for recommendations! You’re right around the corner from my digs. Next time for some fun exercise check out Urban Yoga Spa, just a few blocks from pike place market! Incredible studio.

Kelly@ChowDaily June 11, 2012 at 10:42 am

I would rather drink those drinks and eat those apps! Those soy milk cocktails look SO cool, and anything thats creamy and fruity like that is definitely something I’ll try. I’ve always wanted to go to Seattle, it seems like a completely different vibe than any city here on the East coast. And The Soup (in my opinion) is one of the funniest shows on TV!

Sam @ web designs June 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

Exciting Working Vacay! You’re so lovely in that pretty dress even without the fancy arm pop thing. :)

Cecilia @ My Life San Gluten June 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm

If they have the right music, then I stay in one place, if they don’t, I go searching for it :)