• My New Favorite Snack Bar

June 1, 2012

Have you tried Larabar’s new Über bar? Holy goodness it’s delicious!

A few weeks ago, Larabar sent me their four Über flavors to try, but Mal ate three of the four before I had a chance to try them. The Cherry Cobbler was fair game, so I tried it last night, and it’s seriously the best bar I’ve ever eaten. It was sweet and salty, dessert-like, and really tasted like cherry cobbler. It was basically a mix between a Larabar bar and a KIND bar—chewy and fruity, but with tons of nuts. I’m a huge fan of these babies. You gotta try them!

_MG_7832 (750x499)

Dinner

Last night’s dinner was chicken with a peanut dipping sauce, roasted red and green bell peppers, and roasted Brussels sprouts. The peanut sauce was really good, so I ended up dipping all of my veggies into it.

_MG_7802 (750x499)

After dinner, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine on the couch while I watched TV with Mal and Murphy. (My wine glass is from my bridal shower!)

_MG_7858 (499x750)

Feel Great Weight

how-to-make-salad

When I first started losing weight, I thought salads were a “safe” choice since they were made with lots of low-calorie and nutritious veggies. That’s partly true—salads are a great way to pack more veggies into your diet, but they can also wreck your weight loss efforts if you aren’t careful. Here are some do’s and don’t to keep your salads figure friendly: Surprising Do’s and Don’ts of Salads.

What’s your favorite kind of bar?

P.S. I read an interesting article in Woman’s Health the other day about meat and labeling. I knew “natural” was a unless label, but I didn’t realize that “grass-fed” was also meaningless. I thought you guys might find it helpful too.

Faith @ For the Health of It June 1, 2012 at 9:09 am

The UBER bars look uber delicious ;) I like Lara’s, but sometimes I feel like they need a bit more texture. Sounds like a winner!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’ve been liking the Luna Protein bars in Cookie Dough flavor recently. So yummy!

Emily @ I'd Rather Walk June 1, 2012 at 9:23 am

I LIVE for Kind Bars and Larabars. Of the Kind variety, I can’t get enough of the Blueberry Vanilla or the Macadamia Apricot. When it comes to Kind Bars, I love the Apple Pie and Blueberry Muffin. I must try the Ubers!

robfiasco @ run2thehills June 1, 2012 at 9:24 am

i’ve been hooked on clif bars for the last 6 months or so but i’m looking to change it up so I hope Wegman’s (my local grocery store) has these soon.

thanks for the meat and labeling article. i had no idea!!! :)

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 1, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m a fan of most all Luna and Kashi bars – can’t go wrong! I may have to try these Uber bars… TGIF! :)

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) June 1, 2012 at 9:33 am

That bar sounds delicious! My favorite is chocolate raspberry Luna bar

Christina June 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

Those look amazing! I love PURE Bars. My favorite flavor is the orange. Cute wine glass! I have a question. My birthday is coming up and Im debating wether or not I want to get cross fit for a gift. I know that you talk about all of the benefits, but I am terrified! The heaviest weights I have lifted were 40lbs and I couldn’t move my arms the next day! I am also training for a half marathon too, so would that be a great way to cross train? I don’t want to spam your blog with a lengthy question. Have a great day :)

Hayley June 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

@Christina: Don’t be scared!! You can scale any workout to your ability. When they prescribe a weight, it’s just a suggestion. Last night at CF I did our workout with just the bar, no weight added, because that’s what I was capable of. I was terrified to start too, but everyone at my box is so incredibly nice and supportive, I love it and I can’t ever imagine giving up CrossFit!!

Christina June 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm

@Hayley: Thanks girlie! :)

chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

i just picked up a bananas foster uber bar but haven’t tried it yet..I can’t wait to try it now!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 1, 2012 at 9:44 am

I have a packet of those new Larabars waiting for me to try! I’m not sure why I haven’t tried them because I freakin’ LOVE Larabars so I imagine these to be the tastiest things ever…haha!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

i LOVE those Uber bars too! i think i like them more than the original larabars actually, which is saying a lot! the cherry cobbler was probably my 3rd favorite out of the four. the bananas foster was my favorite with the rolled nuts bar coming in second. you need to try them all!

Steph @ pjsandyogapants June 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

@Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries: Bananas Foster sounds really good! I need to try these.

Heidi June 1, 2012 at 9:50 am

I like wine bars.

Just kidding. Well, not really. But I also love the fruity Kind bars. I always keep a bar with me in case of emergency (aka sudden, intense hunger!), but most chocolate-y bars melt and get kind of gross after being in my purse or my car. Kind bars just get a little soft. I love that!

Tina June 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

Ha! Me too! :)

Stephanie R June 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

favorite kind of bar is an open bar! jk….(maybe not?) seriously love lara bars :)

Tina June 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

LOL!

Lynn @ the actor's diet June 1, 2012 at 9:55 am

Love the new uber bars too. My fave bar is bonk breaker and I don’t even exercise so I know you would esp love them: http://theactorsdiet.com/2010/12/11/wishbone/

Khushboo June 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

This week im loving Lunabars, especially the ‘cookies n cream’ flavor :)…tastes almost like an Oreo!

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero June 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Luna has some great ones. Lemon Zest is kind of refreshing, chocolate raspberry is sinful, and the chocolate dipped coconut- amazing!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

I love Luna Bars! I can’t even pick a flavor because I like them all so much :)

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 1, 2012 at 9:57 am

I love the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars! Just like candy! Soooo good! I will definitely have to try the Über Lara bars soon. I honestly haven’t met a Larabar I didn’t like ;)

Amy Pea June 1, 2012 at 9:58 am

I was excited to learn more about (and try) the Uberbars, however, I just saw that they are not vegan, so I am dismayed!

Steph @ pjsandyogapants June 1, 2012 at 10:11 am

I love the new Luna Bar flavor, Honey Peanut Pretzel. It’s so good…sweet and salty.

I’m really annoyed to learn that grass-fed basically means nothing. I guess if the grass is treated with pesticides though, then it’s not really better. Oi!

Cait's Plate June 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

I have one of those Larabars just waiting to be tried! This makes me even more excited for it :)

Lindsay June 1, 2012 at 10:33 am

I have to say my favorite was the bananas foster and the cherry was my least of the 4 uber bars.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’ve seen these bars pop up on a bunch of bars — they look delicious! I love “regular” Larabars, so I’m sure I would love these too!

Samantha June 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

The Banana flavored Uber is soooo good

Teresa @ fitnwoodbine.blogspot.com June 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

Everyone is talking about how good these bars are! Must give them a try:)

Sarah June 1, 2012 at 11:56 am

have you had the new Vega Sport Protein bars?? They are insane. I have never had a bar that tasted so ridiculously amazing. They are just $$$$$$ :/

Kara June 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I love the Uber bars too however once you read the label they have brown rice syrup in them. Not safe if you are eating strict paleo…but none the less a tasty treat!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’m allergic to sooo many bars, but I recently discovered a nut free brand called The Good Bean that uses chickpeas in its bars! It sounds weird, but they are really delicious!

Amy @ Inspired Amy June 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I’ve been a litttle skeptical about the new larabers, but I think I might have to try ‘em now. I have a slight obsession with ANYTHING sweet and salty. Do the nuts make them crunchy though? Cause I’m really just a chewy person when it comes to sweets.

kristle June 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

i am really enjoying clif bars lately, and i love my home made lara bars. the uber bar sounds yummy especially in cherry cobbler flavor! i felt really silly, i read your question of the day and i thought… what does a bar (like that serves alcohol) have to do with today’s post?

Corrie @ Blurb Column June 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Not the healthiest bar on the planet, but if I need a bar I really love Clif bar chocolate chip flavor. So tasty!

Shreya June 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm

You have to have to HAVE TO try picky bars and bearded brothers bars. They are the best thing ever. All natural.
    All their flavours rock
    I especially love the coconut mango flavour of bearded brothers and the smooth caffeinator of picky bars. The others are great as well.

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero June 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thank so much for the recommendation. I just posted about my new favorite snack bar last night actually: http://backatsquarezero.blogspot.com/2012/05/sweet-tooth.html
    The Kashi tastes more like dessert so I’d love to have something to throw in my bag for a long day at work or post workout.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Allison @ ROadToRoleMOdel June 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Cliff bars! ps- I got married 7-12-08, too!

Tina June 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

4 years coming up soon! :)

Jac @ Challenged & Running in the Bike Lane June 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I really like the Larabar’s. My daughter and I have tried a couple and they’re tasty. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Uber bar!

Jenni June 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I love Kind bars! Will definitely be looking for these – pretty sure I have a coupon from the whole foods website too…

Cecilia @ My Life Sans Gluten June 2, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the link regarding meat labeling!

Samantha N. June 2, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I can’t wait to try these bars! Love that there is another gluten free bar that is tasty for sale! I love the salty and sweet combo!

Dede Brentlinger June 3, 2012 at 10:52 am

I like both Lara and Kind bars. They are both GF and are an easy to reach for snack while on the go item for myself.
    I have not seen the Uber Lara bar here yet, but it does sound and look good, so I think I will need to buy a few on line and see. But a combo of both of my favorite go to bars would be an awesome thing in my book.
    Thanks for posting about it.

and it’s nice to see I am not the only one who drinks from their wedding related glasses :)

Deb @ wiseupslimdown June 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I haven’t tried those bars yet. Most bars taste the same to me which is why I really like Rise Bars. I reviewd them in my blog. If you like dates and coconut and figs you will love these bars.