• Let the Weekend Begin

June 15, 2012

TGIF!!! And HOORAY for the weekend! Once I finish this post, I am shutting down my computer and my weekend officially begins.

Breakfast

The food situation in our kitchen was pretty pathetic this morning (we didn’t even have bananas!), so I grabbed the Kodiak Cake Mix and whipped up a big pancake for breakfast. I can always count on this stuff when there’s not much to work with in the kitchen—you just need to add water!

I also added dried cranberries, sliced almonds, and chia seeds to the batter and topped my pancake with a scoop of Teddie Peanut Butter for some added nutrients and staying power.

After breakfast, I drove to a doctor’s appointment. It was a long commute, so I grabbed a Peanut Butter Wonderful iced coffee for the road.

It tastes so good when it hits your lips!

Snack

I also grabbed an apple and stuck it in my purse in case I got hungry later on. It came in handy because I was starving after my appointment!

After my doctor’s appointment, I picked up Mal from work (I borrowed his car since mine is in the shop) and came home to make lunch.

Lunch

It was well past 3:00 PM by the time I sat down to eat, so I pretty much shoveled lunch into my face. On the menu: a big salad with a leftover turkey burger, roasted Brussels sprouts, balsamic vinegar, and truffle oil.

After lunch, I craved something sweet, so I broke into one of the Wicked Good to Go ready-to-eat cupcakes that Monica sent me as a thank you for letting her stay at our house during Reach the Beach. Check out these babies! How adorable are they?!

Each jar is layered with cake, frosting, and other fun toppings. The “National (Security) Velvet” was outstanding—super moist red velvet cake and plenty of vanilla frosting. Holy yum! Each jar is about 1.5 cupcakes, so I only ate about half of it and saved the other half for later.

Now I’m off to take the pug for an afternoon walk, which will be my only exercise for the day. (Please note the excited-panicked face.)

I decided to skip CrossFit tonight (even though today’s WOD looks like a good one), so I’m well-rested for Saturday’s workout. I basically did two workouts yesterday, so my body definitely needs a break. Remember: rest days are part of your training too!

Happy WEEKEND, friends!

What do you have planned?

Kate June 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

The Old School reference is much appreciated. :)

Tina June 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

LOL! :)

Sana June 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm

A ready to eat cupcake??? I want Monica to send me one! Monica, if you are reading this, I want a cupcake ;)

Kamaile June 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I always keep a bar or snack in my purse! You never know..
    Aww Murphy has the funniest looks!

Alex June 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Does a pancake like that fill you up? Maybe it just looks small but I would probably eat three of those …

Tina June 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Yep! It was really big!

Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I love turkey burgers on my salad and that picture of Murphy is hilarious! :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I am going to Foxwoods with my girl friends! It will be my first time there! Hopefully I’ll be lucky! ;-)

Tina June 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Fun!!! Enjoy!! :)

wesley @ the way home June 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

So many people have been doing Crossfit recently! It looks a little intense for my taste but it seems like a really cool concept. Maybe I’ll give it a go sometime, I do know I’d love the variation of it!

Lena @Fit on the Rocks June 15, 2012 at 4:44 pm

ahahah I almost spit out my water when I saw the look on Murphy’s face…love it! Where did she get the cupcake in a jar from?

Tina June 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Just click on the link! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) June 15, 2012 at 4:49 pm

That cupcake idea is incredible!!! I seriously need to try a proper iced coffee this weekend! It’s time :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

omg those cakes in a jar look AMAZING!!! I want one now! And I’m going to HLS and now dying to get Marylou’s! I was hoping my aunt could take me (she lives there) but I don’t think she’ll be in town… she’s been living in Nicaragua for several months!

Annette@FitnessPerks June 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Ummmm that cupcake jar is GENIUS! I love it.

And yes to the rest thing. I can NOT wait for my rest day on Sunday… so tired. (I am training for half ironman and I teach fitness, so sometimes I don’t have much of a choice. Hah). ENJOY your night off!! :)

Jill (Lady Lazarus) June 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

That cupcake in a jar is genius. And I love the look on your dog’s face!

Cassie June 15, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Love the pug face!

Taking our little buddy to the dog park, beach day and some nice long runs on the agenda

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 15, 2012 at 6:14 pm

That iced coffee looks incredible!!! I can usually tell by the color of an iced coffee it I will like it and the color of that one is PERFECT!!!

I am taking a rest day today as well. I could probably stand to do a workout but my quads are pretty sore and I want a good workout tomorrow so rest it is!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I just love Murphy pictures. He makes me smile every time!

BroccoliHut June 15, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I just saw that Kodiak pancake mix at the store today and almost bought it…guess I’ll have to pick it up next time!
    Our weekend plans include house-hunting a Sunday afternoon hike!

mary @ minutespermile June 15, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes u struggle to take rest days! But you’re right, they are just as important in training.

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) June 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Do you by any chance know how many calories are in an iced coffee like that?

Tina June 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm

No idea! Sorry! Maybe the Marylou’s website has some info?

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Banana-less breakfast is always a catastrophe in my house. My mom & I both always incorporate bananas into our breakfasts, so they go fast in this house…and there always ends up being a morning when one of us wakes up and gasps, “AH! WE’RE OUT OF BANANAS! NOOOOO”

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits June 15, 2012 at 7:47 pm

That pic of Murphy is so cute, love the dog shots! Hope you have a great weekend with your boys!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm

That cupcake in a jar looks delish!! I have a pretty busy weekend planned. Visiting family tomorrow afternoon, and then I have a grad party in the evening. Then Sunday is Father’s day and my birthday. Definitely a jam packed two days!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm

cupcake in a jar.
    genius.
    monica needs a hug.

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Absolutely nothing, except a nice, slow long run tomorrow :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I have been wanting to try Kodiak Cakes! I need to get them! I am such a pancake person!! The cupcake in the jar looks super delish!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

The mason jar cupcake is adorable. That would be cute for a wedding.

Courtney June 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Cupcake in a jar? That sounds amazing! Especially red velvet. Knowing me I’d probably eat the whole thing though. Ugh, lately I have just been horrible with dessert portion control. Running out of ideas. For now I’m just gonna try and stick with a daily dose of portioned controlled desserts. Get rid of the guilt, but don’t give myself a chance to binge for a while. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running June 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Morning Body Attack class and studying the rest of my Saturday away. Then dinner and drinks with boyfriend and friends. My favourite thing to do on a Saturday night :)

Erin Howard June 15, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Wow, I hope I don’t end up ordering those wicked good to go cupcakes. I’d spend my entire weekend having a battle with my conscience to not divulge in those cupcakes. It’s almost a bad thing they’re so convenient!

Deb @ wiseupslimdown June 15, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Murphy’s expression is just too much!

Pretty soon everything will be available in a jar LOL. Hamburger and fries in a jar? It does look like more fun to eat though.

This weekend is a trip to Goodwill (which I am addicted to) and a hike to Rattesnake Lake with my twice as long and half as tall doggie.

Amanda Jewell June 16, 2012 at 12:48 am

So I recently visited Boston (for the second time, my bf’s from there and is working there over the summer) and finally got me some MaryLou’s! I loved it so much that when I got back to San Diego, I immediately ordered me some of their delicious gourmet coffee.. I am anxiously awaiting it’s arrival :-)

On another note, I saw this and immediately thought of you: http://yessica00.tumblr.com/post/23443452305/were-soaring-flying-theres-not-a-star-in

enjoy ;-)

Amanda Jewell June 16, 2012 at 12:49 am

So I recently visited Boston (for the second time, my bf’s from there and is working there over the summer) and finally got me some MaryLou’s! I loved it so much that when I got back to San Diego, I immediately ordered me some of their delicious gourmet coffee.. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival :-)

enjoy ;-)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 16, 2012 at 1:55 am

Currently I have NO plans for tomorrow and I’m hoping it stays that way! :)

Sarah June 16, 2012 at 6:49 am

Okay I need to try kodiak cakes asap! I have heard nothing but great things.

Also, how cute is the mason jar cupcake? Such a great gift idea!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 16, 2012 at 7:54 am

That cupcake in a jar is adorable!

My plans for the weekend involve going out to dinner for my dad’s birthday, working, and doing a big lunch with my extended family for father’s day. Hope you enjoy yours Tina! :)

Blair June 16, 2012 at 8:55 am

Assuming May 29 is the expiration date, I hope the cupcake didn’t taste too funny.

Genevieve June 16, 2012 at 9:20 am

Love Murphy’s face! Staring off the beautiful weekend with a 5 mile run. Hope yours is a good one!

Stephanie June 16, 2012 at 9:58 am

That cupcake in a jar is so cute! I’ll be ordering some asap.

Lorii Abela June 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

Nice idea in putting cupcakes in a jar.

Katie June 16, 2012 at 11:32 am

Murphy is ADORABLE and I love making salads with leftover proteins. Lol, its so easy because you can just heat it up (or not, if you prefer it that way) and then top it with some greens and whatnot. :)

Coco June 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love the cupcake in a jar! Rest is so important… I’m really learning that myself!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 16, 2012 at 11:40 pm

insane red velvet cupcakes.
    insane murphy eyes-bugging-out-of-his-head photos.
    friday.

does it get any better? :)

Katy @ HaveYouHurd June 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I seriously crack up at Murphy’s face everytime I see it. HE IS SO FREAKING CUTE!