• How I Spent My 32nd Birthday

June 20, 2012

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes yesterday! You guys are the best!

I started my 32nd birthday the best way I know how—with a Peanut Butter Wonderful iced coffee from Marylou’s!

Breakfast

For breakfast, Mal took me to Strawberry Fair in Norwell.

It’s such an adorable place!

We actually tried to eat at Strawberry Fair once in the past on a weekend, but the place was so packed, we couldn’t even get into the parking lot.

2012-06-19_1505

This morning, the scene was a lot more laid-back and we had no problem scoring a table—although, I have to admit it was pretty bumpin’ for a Tuesday morning!

2012-06-19_1502

For my meal, I ordered the Breakfast Casserole, which was made with eggs, shredded potatoes, ham, cheese, onions, and peppers. It was super cheesy, and I loved it.

The Breakfast Casserole came with a fresh fruit cup on the side. The majority of it was strawberries and banana slices. Mmm!

Best birthday morning ever!

After breakfast, Mal and I headed home and then got started on a couple of house projects.

2012-06-19_1507

Mal tackled the yard while I looked for patio sets and rugs online since we’re in the market for both.

Snack

Breakfast held me over really well, so I never really ate lunch, but I ate a crap-ton of trail mix over the course of the afternoon. I pretty much ate all of the M&Ms and cashews out of the bag—don’t tell Mal.

Workout

Then, it was time for CrossFit. Check out the WOD!

For time:

40 pull-ups
    30 Goblet squats
    500m Row
    50 Double Unders
    40 Abmat Sit-ups
    30 Medball cleans

Ooooh, yes. My favorite kind of workout. Endurance + chipper. Bring it on!

I was all over the place with the various weights for this workout: Medball Cleans – 14 lbs, KB swings – 35 lbs, Goblet squats – 20 lbs. I did the Push-Ups on my knees, but they still were incredibly hard, especially when I concentrated on doing the full range of motion (chest to floor). I dominated the first two 500m rows, but I slowed down considerably on the third and forth ones. The forth one in particular was killer—my legs were spent! And the fifty Burpees after the third row… um, yea… brutal.

I kept up with my friend Kerrie for most of this workout, but she blew by me on the Pull-Ups. (I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DO KIPPING PULL-UPS!!) Even still, I finished about a minute after her in 37:45. I love having someone to “compete” with in workouts. Kerrie always pushes me harder than I would on my own. Thanks, Kerrie!

It was an awesome birthday WOD, and I guess I pushed myself harder than usual because I actually felt like I was going to boot once I finished. I’ve felt terrible after WODs in the past, but never to the point that I thought I’d throw up. I think it was a combination of eating a crapload of trail mix before CrossFit, the workout (of course), and chugging water as soon as I finished it. Ugh, barf-ola. I never puked, but I definitely came close last night!

Dinner

After CrossFit, Mal and I headed home to make dinner, drink wine, and hang out with the pug. All of my favorites things!

2012-06-20_0637

On the menu for dinner: Curry Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups.

I didn’t have all of the ingredients that the original recipe called for, so I did my own thing. Mal cooked the chicken on the grill and then I chopped it up and added 1 tbsp of mayo, 1 tsp curry, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

Delicious—and so easy to make!

I ate a bunch of lettuce cups with curry chicken and then snacked on some pistachios while I watched Real Housewives of New York City, drank wine, and cuddled with Murph and Mal on the couch.

It was a great way to end my 32nd birthday.

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 20, 2012 at 11:13 am

Glad to see you had a good birthday! I would’ve picked all the M&Ms out too!

carol June 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’d call that a great birthday!!!!!!

Annette@FitnessPerks June 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oooh looks like a FABULOUS birthday to me!!!

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets June 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

Glad you had a great birthday!

Kerrie June 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

We push eachother! Have a great time tonight: ) PS. Love the curry recipe, have to try, I always seem to feel with at home curry attempts.

Mara @ martialartsnchocolate.blogspot.com June 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

Happy Birthday!!! I love Strawberry Fair. it reminds me of my late Nana who’s entire kitchen down to the knobs on her cabinets, dishes, s&p shakers…etc. she had strawberries everywhere! Their food is awesome for breakfast, lunch or dinner, fresh and homey and I love the layed back atmosphere… but the parking is awful esp on the weekends! It is a real treat to go there though, so I am glad you enjoyed it!

michelle kim June 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

Great way to spend your birthday! You were so productive with the yard work AND the workout!

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

Sounds like an amazing birthday! Happy happy birthday :) love your reebok top & shoes, btw!

Erin June 20, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love that you didn’t even change out of your workout clothes before busting out the wine. That’s the way to celebrate #32!

Cassie June 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I would so loved that WOD more if it was running instead of rowing ;). I love having the competition too!! It really helps because then I have something to aim for and it pushes me. what a fun birthday!

Tina June 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Same here! Running would have been fun! :)

Stacy June 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Happy (belated) Birthday!

Strawberry Fair is my FAVORITE breakfast place! Well that and Easter’s in Weymouth.

I grew up in Hingham, so your blog always makes me a tad bit homesick seeing the Whole Foods, Bare Cove Park (my dad was on the committee for years – I almost designed the sign but dropped the ball on that), talk about downtown Hingham, and now Strawberry Fair! Oh the memories…

Tina June 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Easter’s? I need to check that out!

Stacy June 20, 2012 at 2:51 pm

@Tina: Heads up – they only take cash. But they’re pretty cheap so it’s usually okay. It’s right over the Weymouth/Hingham line.

Tina June 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Good to know! Thank you! I definitely want to check it out!

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) June 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

What a great way to spend your birthday!

Leslie June 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

May I ask what kind of shoes you’re wearing? I’ve been looking for hot pink shoes everywhere and can’t quite find the right ones.

Tina June 20, 2012 at 1:25 pm

They’re the Reebok RealFlex. They’re great for CrossFit workouts! :)

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries June 20, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Sounds like a perfect 32nd birthday! There’s nothing better than spending time with your loved ones :)

Molly June 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm

That WOD looks awesome!! Dinner, wine, and good company is a great way to spend you birthday!

Christina June 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks like a great day, but where’s the birthday cake?? :)

Alaina June 20, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Looks like a fantastic birthday!! I love the Berkeley & Jensen’s Trail Mix!! I would eat about 2 bags a week in college. :-P

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero June 20, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I love how matchy matchy your cross fit shoes and top are. Too cute! Plus I am in a hot pink phase right now, loving it.

luv what you do June 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm

What a fantastic way to spend the day!
    I especially love the wine on the porch portion. I’m hoping my 31st includes some of the same!

Alyssa June 21, 2012 at 10:29 am

Sounds like you had a great birthday! That breakfast place looks adorable. I love places that look so country-ish & cozy like that.

The Healthy Apple June 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Love those chicken lettuce cups; you and Mal are too cute! Glad you had a great birthday.
    Enjoy your weekend! Hope you are keeping cool in this heat wave!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Girl, you’re killing me with those delish looking marylou’s concoctions! Dying to try them :)

Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake June 25, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Hope you had a fabulous birthday!