• For Time: Run 5K

June 1, 2012

Guess who crushed their 5K PR this morning?

THIS (sweaty, salty, and delicious) GIRL!!!

IMG_5515

Clearly, Murphy was psyched about my accomplishment. I {heart} pug kisses.

Workout

I wasn’t planning to go to CrossFit this morning, but when I checked the WOD for today, I changed my mind. (Oooh, the powers of CrossFit!)

WOD

For time:

Run 5K

There aren’t many “long distance” running WODs at our box, so I was all about this one and just couldn’t miss it. Plus, I planned to run at least one mile for the Summer Run Streak, so I figured I could kill two birds with one sword stone.

Our workout started with 2 minutes of walking lunges and then six 100 meter sprints to get us warm and loosen up our legs. Once we were warmed up, we ran around the building 13 times to equal 3.1 miles. Thank goodness I brought my Timex GPS Watch because I definitely would have lost track of the laps!

I have to admit, I didn’t feel great during the 5K. I was pretty sore and tired from yesterday’s bear complex, but I still managed to pull off a 23:59 5K (7:43 pace), which I am psyched about! I wonder how I’d do with “fresh” legs?

One of my goals for 2012 is to run a sub 24-minute 5K, so now I really want to make it “official” by signing up for a 5K road race. And once I finish this post, I’m going to register for one. Local readers, if you have suggestions, please let me know!

PRONE 5K

Speaking of 5K road races, the PRONE 5K (aka the Pug 5K) is this Saturday at Castle Island in South Boston. It’s my favorite 5K ever (Murphy’s too! He finished in 46:33 last year), but I’m heading up to Maine for Mal’s Super Awesome Birthday Weekend, so I’m going to miss it. Wicked bummer. But, if you’re in the area and love pugs, you should definitely check it out. It was so fun last year and it’s pretty much pug heaven (for people and pugs).

IMG_0014-500x3752_thumb[1]

Breakfast

I tried to make a Protein Pancake for breakfast this morning, but it cooked too fast, burned, and then stuck to the pan, so I ended up “scrambling” it and putting it in a bowl with some almond butter and dried cranberries. It tasted fine; it just looked ugly. I also drank a protein shake mixed with iced coffee and coconut milk.

_MG_7882 (750x499)

RTB:MA 2012 Video Blog Episode 2

Here’s the next episode from our Reach the Beach adventures. This one is called “Youthful Enthusiasm.” Hope you like it!

If you’re a runner, what’s your favorite distance to race?

P.S. I’m hosting a Dunkin Donuts giveaway on Trading Up Downtown!

Charissa June 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm

You are SO fast…my heroine!

Melanie June 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Congrats on the PR that is awesome! Loved watching the video you posted. It looks like a lot of fun. :)

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) June 1, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Congrats on your pr! Murphy is so cute!

Christina June 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Congrats! I like running 5k’s and 10k’s. You are so fast!

Angela@The Chicken Scoop June 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Congrats on the PR!!
    My favorite distance run for speed is 2 miles. I’ve been tracking that for at least 2 years now so I can tell how I’ve improved.
    I can’t decide if my favorite race to do is a 5K or a half marathon. Perhaps it would be 10k if there were more around? I like how short and quick the 5K is but I like the challenge of training for the half marathon distance!
    ~Ang

Liz M June 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Definitely at least a half marathon although marathons are good too! I don’t ever feel like I hit my groove with anything less because it takes a good 2-3 miles for me to really warm-up.

Natalie June 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Great job with the run! I PRd a 5k this spring and it felt so great! Also I laughed out loud when I saw the peace sign behind Murphy’s head! Hilarious.

Jac @ Challenged & Running in the Bike Lane June 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Amazing PR. Congrats!!!
    I don’t have a favorite distance, yet. My favorite race distance is a half marathon because there’s always bling at the finish line!!! I

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I love the pic with Murphy kissing you! To cute!!

michelle June 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My favorite distance to race is definitely the half marathon. I find that the 10K and 5K are much harder to run because I have no fast-twitch muscles :P

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Congrats on your PR! I have a feeling you’re going to kill your next 5K race! :D

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

congrats on the PR! My favorite distance is a 5k. It’s pretty funny (or sad?) but when I ran my first 5k ever I thought it was 5 miles. >.

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running June 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I love my regular 14km run! I am from Sydney, Australia and I often train with runs from Bondi Beach to Cooggee beach which is along the coastline. It is the perfect distance and the perfect scenery :). A half marathon is a great distance too.. I feel safe knowing I have time to settle into the run, set my pace and enjoy the music ;)

shelby June 2, 2012 at 8:18 am

Congratulations Tina!!! That is such an awesome accomplishment! I am preparing for my fall XC season and i am hoping to PR in a couple 5k races too!

Jacki June 2, 2012 at 8:23 am

Loved the video, thanks for sharing.

laine June 2, 2012 at 9:33 am

That’s an awesome time!
    There’s a 5K coming up in Cohasset, but it’s a “family” 5K so it might be filled with strollers.

AJ June 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

There is a 5k at Southfield off of rte 18 in Weymouth on June 21st. It ends with a beer garden!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee June 2, 2012 at 11:05 am

Congratulations! I haven’t yet run a 5k for time- only 800 meters, 1 mile, and 2 mile races. But next year I’m going to run 5ks for time so I’ll see how that goes! :)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

ahhh that pancake problem happens to me all the time! (whenever I add cottage cheese) And great job PR-ing! :D wooooot

Sarah @ RunningChickago.com June 3, 2012 at 12:22 am

Congrats on your PR!! So exciting! I’ve only run half marathons and a marathon, and after my last marathon…I think I’d say half marathons! :) haha they seem so much easier when you’re training for a full and a half is just “practice” :)

B @ Crags and Veggies June 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

Love Murphy’s excitement! Congrats girl!

Jocelyn Bourgault June 3, 2012 at 6:44 pm

So, I’ve been searching all over the internet to replenish my Foodscience Vermont Whey powder and I can’t find it! Have you noticed it’s been discontinued? I’m so bummed!

Tina June 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Yea, sadly, they changed their formula. :(

Jocelyn Bourgault June 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm

@Tina: I would buy the soy version, but I really try to avoid soy protein. Have you found an alternative?

Margaret M. June 4, 2012 at 7:26 am

That’s a very fast run, Tina for a 5k (24:00). Keep it up. I’m also a a fan of running especially marathons. Before I only run around our village now I’m running 5k on marathons although not as fast as you.