• BlogHer Food ’12: Day Two

June 10, 2012

Yesterday was all about eating, drinking, and being merry—which I guess is the main point of BlogHer Food, right? Well, I’m glad I enjoyed my time to the fullest!

After the morning session, Monica and I visited Pike’s Place Public Market, which was just a few blocks from the hotel.

It was a beautiful and sunny Saturday afternoon, so the place was absolutely packed— like shoulder-to-shoulder frat party packed.

Even still, I enjoyed the sights and sounds of the market (and tried not to get too freaked out claustrophobic).

IMG_5900 (480x640)IMG_5901 (640x480)

Lunch

Once we had a chance to check out the market, Monica and I headed back outside (where it was less crowded) in search of lunch. Just a few minutes later, we stumbled upon Pear Delicatessen & Shoppe.

It didn’t take me long to decide what I wanted for lunch from Pear. As soon as I saw the “Pear-fect Grilled Cheese” on the menu, I was sold… and really excited about it.

Omg, this sandwich was epic. I actually talked about it for hours after I finished eating it. Listen to this sandwich: Gruyer and Swiss cheese with pear compote on grilled Rosemary bread. Yummmmm!

It was made with a ton of melty cheese and the combination of cheese + pear + Rosemary was seriously amazing. I probably won’t ever forget this sandwich for as long as I live.

After lunch, Monica and I walked back to the hotel for “Simple Post – Processing for Food Photography: Free, Cheap, and Easy Tools.” It was a really helpful session with brief explanations and recommendations for a number of free photo editing programs. Here are a few that the panelists suggested:

• Gimp.org: Highly recommended, similar to Photoshop, downloadable program
    • Pixlr.com: Completely web-based (you don’t download it onto your computer), no online registration required, basically an online version of Gimp
    • PicMonkey.com: Most user-friendly, but doesn’t have batch editing (you need to upload one photo at a time), completely web-based, no registration required

I’m excited to check out these programs. Right now, I use Windows Live Gallery to edit my photos, which I like just fine, but it seems like these programs can do so much more. Plus, they’re free, so I really have nothing to lose.

Snack

After the photo editing session, I hit up the most amazing afternoon snack break sponsored by SuperValu.

There were so many delicious treats—pretzels, candy (peanut M&Ms, Snickers, 3 Musketeers), cupcakes with cute animal crackers stuck into them, colorful macaroons, and various dessert-y popcorns that I pretty much went mental over.

I must have eaten 5 or 6 cones full of caramel-chocolate popcorn. It was cooked in coconut oil, so it had a subtle hint of coconut flavor, too. Omg, yum. It took some serious willpower to tear myself away from it!

After snack time at the conference, Monica and I headed up to Amie’s suite for some more snacks. Amie’s room was hooked up! She was seriously the hostess with the mostess!

I snacked on cheese and crackers, chocolate chip cookies, and a glass of white wine.

I hung out in Amie’s suite and chatted with a bunch of bloggers for about an hour before heading to the Closing Reception at Sodo Park.

Such a gorgeous space!

I wasn’t all that hungry when I arrived, but it didn’t stop me from trying almost everything on the menu.

I also drank a mini martini, half of a glass of wine, and ate some shrimp with creamy grits. I was an eating (and drinking) machine!

IMG_5953 (640x480)IMG_5959 (480x640)

IMG_5954 (480x640)IMG_5955 (640x480)

IMG_5957 (640x480)IMG_5948 (480x640)

At the reception, I finally bumped into Jenna! My long lost friend! Hooray! It was so great to see her, and I’m getting really excited for her book to come out in September!

The evening concluded with a raffle and a few words from the event’s hostesses, Ree Drummond (aka “the Pioneer Woman”), Jaden Hair, and Elise Bauer.

I have to admit, I was a tad star struck by these women. I’ve met them all in person at one point or another, but I was so nervous/felt like a turd to strike up a conversation with them last night, and now I regret at least not saying hi. GAH, I hate social anxiety! Next time for sure!

After the event, Monica, Kath, and I headed back to the hotel.

Before bed, I snacked on a ton of graham crackers. I don’t know how it was even possible, but I was still hungry!

Monica and I both had really early flights home this morning, so we hit the hay before 10:00 PM last night. We’re also grandmas, so that’s how we roll.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

oh my gosh, that grilled cheese sandwich sounds amazing! The whole day looks like a lot of good food and company!

mary @ minutespermile June 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

what a whirlwind of food and drink! there is no way i could remember to take photos with all that food. i would just explode on the spot. graham crackers are the best snack ever.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist June 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Ah Tina!! I’m even more jealous I didn’t get to go!! What an amazing place and what a gorgeous dinner space!

Sana June 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Seattle looks like it has an awesome food scene!

Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy June 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’ve been using GIMP for the past 3 years, and while it takes some getting used to, it’s pretty powerful and of course free (and open source!) I wrote a mini-primer with pictures on doing 7 things on GIMP (crop, rotating, etc.) on my tech site because it can be pretty intimidating to get started -> http://whenihavetime.com/2009/12/03/7-easy-photoshop-tricks-you-can-do-with-gimp-software-for-free/

Roz@weightingfor50 June 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’ve really enjoyed the Blog Her recaps. One day, I’d LOVE to attend a blogging conference myself. (and OMG, I’d be star struck by Ree too! Notice I just said Ree??? We’re on a “first name basis”. :) ) Pike Place Market is one of my favorite places on earth. Glad you were there and enjoyed all it has to offer. Safe travels home.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm

My hubs loves the GIMP. I’m still trying to figure it out but it seems to do the trick!

I’m seriously full just looking at all the pictures of the food!

Jac @ Challenged & Running in the Bike Lane June 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Wow, I think I gained weight just reading your post and looking at all those pictures!! What a cool event!!

Sandee June 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I

laura t. June 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Wow that popcorn looks incredible! Do you know where its from?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Wow!! that popcorn sounds amazing. I can only imagine how delicious it must have been!
    And I too get social anxiety…darnit!! :(

Katie June 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

So happy that you got to go to the Market!! That place is SOO magical and I love the street performers who show up sometimes! :D

Alex @ therunwithin June 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Wow this event just seems amazing! So jealous you get to attend all of these. I would have attacked that popcorn as well.

Jill (Lady Lazarus) June 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Apples and cheese I’ve heard of, but not pears and cheese! Sounds amazing, I’m going to have to try that!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Oh man, I wish I went!!! I have always wanted to go to that market, it’s a foodies dream!!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 10, 2012 at 8:26 pm

OK that sandwich sounds and looks absolutely incredible! You have me drooling into my keyboard!

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit] June 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I LOVE Pike’s Place! There are so many great produce stands and beautiful flowers. And there are lots of great restaurants in the area. I hope you had a great trip!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I’ve made a pear and cheese panini before and it was good, but yours looks incredible! Those flavours are all fantastic.

Courtney June 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Ugh, I hate social anxiety. One time my boyfriend dragged me to a Renaissance Fair and I thought I saw someone I knew over at one of the booths, so I mentioned it to him. My boyfriend didn’t know the guy, but I was pretty sure it was him. He forced me to go over and say hello. It turned out that it actually was who I thought it was, and he saw me so I was forced to say hello. It was actually nice to see him, but I was so unsure and self conscious about whether or not he was actually glad to see me that I made it awkward. Stupid brain.

Deb @ wiseupslimdown June 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

We avoid the market on weekends. Its always a zoo but such a fun place. I like to go after work right before it’s closing. Such a difference.

That sandwich sounds freakin’ amazing. I am tempted to bring my own gluten free bread and ask them to make me one of those.

Thanks for the picture editing software info. Will check those out.

Tina June 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm

You should! That sandwich was life-changing! Haha!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio June 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm

That market is just amazing! The colors are beautiful.

Christina June 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

That popcorn looks amazing! All the food looks delicious!

EatLiveRun June 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm

SO good to see you, friend!!! Don’t be a stranger!

Serena June 10, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I can’t wait to move back to the west coast!!! We’re moving back right across the sound from Seattle in August.

Kelly @ My Love Affair With Running June 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Looks like you had an amazing time! Caramelised popcorn is the bomb. It is dangerous having a giant jar of it from Costcos sitting in the pantry..

Ara June 11, 2012 at 12:45 am

Oh my God, I LOVE Seattle!!! I went on vacation there a couple of years ago and fell in love. I love the Pike Place Market. So many fresh foods.

Khushboo Thadani June 11, 2012 at 1:55 am

That sandwich looks intense- I am not surprised you loved it!! I’ve had an apple & cheddar toastie and it really was delicious!

Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 11, 2012 at 7:21 am

Looks like a great day! Pike’s Place reminds me a lot of Chelsea Market in NYC. Looks like a fun day! I’m going to have to check out those photo editing sites! Thanks for sharing! Have a safe trip home!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

Looks like you are having such a great time! And that grilled cheese sandwich looks AWESOME.

P.S. Have you seen this? I thought of you with the super cute pug pic – pic #7.

Tina June 11, 2012 at 8:37 am

Super cute! :)

Beth June 11, 2012 at 8:33 am

Pear is such a great place!! Glad you were able to enjoy it :)

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop June 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

Just read all your BlogHer blogs and oh my gosh it looks like an amazing time!!! I would have ate and drank my way through too because how can you not?! Glad you had such a great time there and thanks for sharing the photo editing sites! I’ve bookmarked them!
    ~Ang

Kelly@ChowDaily June 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

This seems like a dream weekend- amazing food, drinks, friends and a new city to explore. I would love to be able to travel to places like this and go to events that pamper you with tasty treats! I definitely would not have been able toe top eating that pop corn either, it looks amazing. So does every single thing on the menu they had for the last night. Sweet potato and crab cakes? YUM! The blogging world seems filled with some very smart and very interesting women.

Jaime D. June 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Looks like you had a fun day…glad the Seattle weather cleared up for you! I got married at Sodo Park three years ago – love that venue!!

Julia H. @ Going Gulia June 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Now I need to go to Seattle for that sandwich. It has to happen. This is some serious travel motivation.

jassy @ Healthy Egg June 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm

blogher looks fun :) hope to join a summit like that in the near future :)

The Healthy Apple June 12, 2012 at 12:24 am

Loved seeing you; thanks for a fabulous weekend, darling! Hope to see you again soon.
    xoox

Bridget June 12, 2012 at 11:52 am

I remember you guys from that very early shuttle ride to the airport on Sunday! You were smart to go to bed early – not only did my friend Brady and I stay until the end of the closing party, but we couldn’t resist getting some dessert from The Purple Cafe afterward. And then we still had to figure out how the heck to fit all of our swag into our bags to take home. I still haven’t recovered from the lack of sleep!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Interesting note on the picture editing programs. As a Georgetown student with a job in marketing, I’ve been lucky enough to have access to photoshop/other Adobe Creative Suite programs. Taking food pictures is a huge part of what got me into blogging, so I can’t imagine blogging without those programs !