• Running and Cell Phones

May 30, 2012

Hi, friends! Hope you’re having a wonderful Hump Day!

Workout

After breakfast, I got on my Summer Run Streak on and ran 2 miles, which was from my front door to the end of the street and back again. It was short and sweet, and I listened to Pandora on my iPhone and zoned out. I love runs like this because they totally clear my mind.

_MG_7614 (750x499)

Speaking of running and iPhones, I use mine to listen to music, track my runs (via the MapMyRun app), and snap photos. (A bunch of you guys asked if I run with my camera, but I just use my iPhone to take pictures.) I also use my phone to get in touch with friends and/or Mal before and after races and, of course, I like having it, especially on my long runs, for safety reasons. I can’t say, however, I’ve used my cell phone to make a call or tweet during a run or race, but I’ve seen plenty of people do it!

Do you run with your cell phone? Do you think it’s a necessary piece of running equipment?

After my run, I quickly stretched, showered, and then headed to the dentist for a check-up/cleaning. I’m happy to report: no cavities! That’s three appointments in a row now! I guess my obsessive brushing/flossing/fluoride rinse routine is working!

Lunch

After my appointment, I returned home, starving for lunch. There was some leftover cod in the refrigerator from last night’s dinner, so I added it to a big salad, which I topped with truffle oil and balsamic vinegar.

_MG_7602 (750x499)

Snack

A few hours later, I whipped up a smoothie with frozen mango, banana, almond milk, vanilla protein powder, and a scoop of peanut butter as an afternoon snack. Mmm!

169 (750x499)

Just now, I ate a Kashi Trail Mix Granola Bar as a second afternoon snack.

I’m off to walk Murph and then to go to CrossFit. There’s a fun WOD tonight!

P.S. I’m a little behind with my magazine reading, but I just finished this article about Dave McGillivray, who heads up the Boston Marathon, in the April issue of Runner’s World, and I absolutely loved it. Just wanted to share!

Katy May 31, 2012 at 7:38 am

Do you even use the spibelt on the treadmill? I just ordered one yesterday and can’t wait for it to come in! Also, do you have the free Map My Run app or did you upgrade to the $2.99 version? Thanks :-)

Tina May 31, 2012 at 7:40 am

I never use my Spibelt on the treadmill, but you totally could! I just have the free MapMyRun app, which seems to work pretty well!

pi May 31, 2012 at 9:57 am

I always run with my phone. Many of my runs are solo so I think its a necessity. I also use a spibelt, and my iphone tucks in nicely. I use the Nike+Gps app to track my runs. Have you used that app before? Do you like MapMyRun’s app better?

Tina May 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

No, I’ve never used it. Sorry!

Kellie May 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

I actually bought a GPS watch and iPod just to avoid taking my iPhone. As great as they are, I was fearful that I wouldn’t get the free feeling of finally being away from my phone for a workout. I would probably feel obligated to stop and check it or respond to messages. Do you feel that way? I just crave the peace of mind that comes with a good run and that “me” time.

Tina May 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

I ignore all calls and texts while I am running. It’s “me” time! :)

Kellie May 31, 2012 at 11:30 am

@Tina: Good willpower!

George Super BootCamps June 1, 2012 at 7:21 am

I don’t tend to run with my phone, but I do use it on my long bike rides.

I find that with running I prefer the peace and quiet, even for my long runs of two or more hours!

By the way, your shoes are far too clean, time to splash joyously through some muddy puddles…

My 2c
    George

Kristy Doyle June 1, 2012 at 8:41 am

The Smartphone has made running amazing. It’s a music player (I love having Pandora usually — it’s so much better when you’re surprised by the music, and if it’s not doing it for you, just change the station), a gps tracker, a camera, a safety device. LOVE having it. I need to get a Spibelt.

Cecilia @ My Life Sans Gluten June 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I take my cell phone when I’m running alone, on long runs, and during races. Mostly for the music but also for safety