• Reach the Beach Relay: 4:00 PM – 1:00 AM

May 21, 2012

Ready for more? Sorry I left you hanging!

Around 4:00 PM, it was finally time for Van 2 to run their first legs. Since I was runner #7, I started the running rotation.

IMG_4862-750x563_thumb

Sarah finished her leg strong.

IMG_4866-750x563_thumb

Our hand-off was seamless (our first snap bracelet “snap” was the best of the three legs as seen in the photo below) and then I was off and running.

IMG_1133-800x600_thumb1

My first leg was 3.79 miles. I actually don’t remember much about the route (I think it was pretty?), but I remember trying to keep my pace just below 8:30. My first leg was the shortest of the three I’d run for the relay, so I wanted it to be my fastest. I felt great for the entire leg, and the whole time I was running, I couldn’t get the goofy smile off of my face. I love stuff like this!

As soon as I saw the Transition Area and Monica waiting for me, I booked it to the end. I finished 3.79 miles in 31:15, so my average pace was 8:14.

IMG_2072-750x563_thumb1

Hooray! Leg 1 finished!

IMG_4873-750x563_thumb

Monica was up next. You can check out her recap here.

IMG_4883-750x563_thumb1

Monica handed off to Theodora, who’s first leg was seriously hilly.

IMG_4879-750x563_thumb

Good thing she knows how to make hills her bitch!

IMG_4882-750x563_thumb

So, the guy with the camera following Theodora… I should probably explain what that’s all about.

Our team had a camera crew following us for the entire relay (day and night), documenting our experience and interviewing us throughout the race. The footage will be used to make four Reach the Beach episodes about Team Off Balance. I’m not exactly sure when they’ll be finished or where you can watch them, but I’ll keep you guys in the loop once I find out more.

Once Theodora finished her leg, the sun was starting to set, which meant we needed to break out the safety gear.

IMG_4885-750x563_thumb

Looking good, Elizabeth!

IMG_4884-563x750_thumb2

Elizabeth whizzed through her first leg.

IMG_4889-750x563_thumb

And then it was Anne’s turn. She was pumped!

IMG_4888-563x750_thumb1

During Anne’s leg, we decided to have a little dance party on the side of the road to cheer her on.

IMG_4893-750x563_thumb

Relay races are bananas!!!

IMG_4895 (750x563)_thumb

Once we psyched up Anne, it was back to the van to get Ashley ready for her first leg.

IMG_1181-750x563_thumb2

She rocked the safety gear too!

IMG_4896-563x750_thumb1

Ashley lucked out and enjoyed some really beautiful scenery along with a gorgeous sunset on her leg.

IMG_4897-750x563_thumb

IMG_4901-750x563_thumb

After stopping to cheer on Ashley, our van headed to the Transition Area to meet up with Van 1, who we hadn’t seen since the afternoon.

IMG_4902-750x563_thumb

We were excited to see one another, so another dance party/rave ensued.

IMG_4904-750x563_thumb

IMG_4907-750x563_thumb

Before we knew it, Ashley finished her leg and Gretchen took off once again to tackle her second leg.

IMG_4910-750x563_thumb1

Since Van 2 was “off” for the next several hours, we headed to dinner at Carbone’s in Hopkinton.

Reach the Beach 2012 (96) (750x563)_thumb

I ordered a ham sandwich with French fries and an iced coffee for dinner.

IMG_4913-750x563_thumb

Clearly, my meal was not the Dinner of Champions, but it was the only “real” meal I ate in 32 hours. The rest of the time, I lived off of carby snacks, including peanut butter-filled pretzels, bananas, and bagels with peanut butter. This way of eating worked fine for the race, but I’m happy to be back to my normal diet.

IMG_4911-750x563_thumb

We left dinner at almost 11:00 PM, so we drove to the next Transition Area and went to sleep. Well, we tried to sleep. Six people in a van was pretty tight, but I managed to get 1.5 – 2 hours of sleep.

At 1:00 AM, Monica (our van driver/coach/mom) woke me up and told me Sarah was only a few miles away. I needed to get ready to run my second leg!

Night leg post coming next!

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit May 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I love the recaps. Totally gets me pumped for Hood To Coast, the 200 mile relay race I’m running in August.

Tina May 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

@Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit: You are going to have a blast! :)

Deborah (@myaccesiblelife) May 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

looks like you had a lot of fun, so grateful you shared this.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Please tell me that camera guy didn’t have to run behind her the entire time!! He doesn’t look properly dressed for that tough, hilly run! ;)

Tina May 21, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Haha, no, he rode in the van with us! :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

@Tina: Hahahhaha I can only imagine a cameraman relay! That equipment would be a serious body weight :)

Theodora May 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm

@Kristen @ notsodomesticated: I mean, he was rocking some fine New Balances himself. I kept challenging him to run with me :)

Luv What You Do May 21, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I love the recaps! It seems like you guys had a BLAST!

Megan@therunningdoc May 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This relay looks like so much fun and based on your posts it seems like you all had a great time! Reading these recaps makes me want to look into these types of relay races!!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I really want to do the WI –> Chicago ragnar relay next summer so reading your recaps is great! Sounds like you all had a blast :)

Lindsay May 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

love the dance parties! seeing races like this convince me that running long distances CAN be fun! love the updates. :)

Angela@The Chicken Scoop May 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Ah this looks like so much fun!!! I really need to find more running friends. How did you guys make your team? Did New Balance find you or did you find each other? I would really love to do one but none of my friends are distance runners and if I mention anything over 2 miles, I get the deer-in-headlights look!
    ~Ang

Tina May 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I picked the team! :)

Cait's Plate May 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Craziness! But in the best way possible! It looks like so much fun!!

Beks May 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

This is exciting! I love reading race recaps! :-)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats May 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m loving these posts! It looks like it was so fun.

Laura @ She Eats Well May 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love reading these race recaps, they keep me hanging! Also, I gotta say your arms look so toned…crossfit!?

Grace @ Grace Dishes May 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm

You guys look like you had a blast! I love the decorated van too and the matching outfits

Congratss!!!!

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) May 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I love these posts! Keep ‘em coming :)

kristle May 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm

this is so cool, i didn’t even know relay races like this existed until now! it seems like so much fun. may seems like a great month for you!

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

This looks like such a blast!! It’s always so fun to do different kinds of races like this… Keeps it exciting! Can’t wait to hear the next recap!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Haha I would have skipped dinner and napped! Sounds like fun though!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Ah the suspense!! I need to know how running at night was! Can’t wait for your next post!

Kelly May 21, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Wow, what a cool experience! I am also excited to hear what it was like running at night, I can’t even function on that little sleep, let alone run in a relay race :)

Annette@FitnessPerks May 21, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Lovin’ the recaps! It sounds soooo fun!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m seriously kicking myself for not getting in on either this race or the one in NH in September. Damn you family events!!! :) Next year I will be doing a relay!

Lauren May 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm

You ran through Worcester! That’s where I’m from! I knew the race was right by me but didn’t know it went through there! congrats on a great job!

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet May 22, 2012 at 12:08 am

Wow!!!! That looks like a total blast and by the way, french fries is champion food :)

Tina May 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

@Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet: Haha! Obviously! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 22, 2012 at 8:12 am

This looks like such a blast! So are those episodes going to be aired on tv? That’s so exciting for you guys! :D

Tabs May 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Relay racers ARE banana’s!!! AND I LOVE IT, TOO!!! I live in Oregon and have done Hood 2 Coast for years. SO. MUCH. FUN! So glad you got a chance to experience the fun, the pain, the comraderie, the encouragement of all the other teams…oh my goodness, I’m getting all excited just thinking about it!

Yep, relay racers are banana’s! :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail May 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm

This is bringing back Hood to Coast memories. Amazing what we can do on little sleep & food.

Megan May 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

ah you ate dinner in Hopkinton? Should have ate at the Marathon Bar .. one of my favorites! good food!

Greg May 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Hey, that’s me!! No-shirt-guy in photo #4 from the top! WoooooHooooo!