• I’m a Snacker

May 22, 2012

Noun
    1. snacker – someone who eats lightly or eats snacks between meals

IMG_0020-640x4803

Confession: I don’t show all of the snacks I eat on Carrots ‘N’ Cake.

I try to photograph most of what goes into my mouth, but it’s not always possible. Sometimes my camera isn’t handy, sometimes I’m enjoying the moment and don’t want to ruin it with a photo, and sometimes I’m just lazy. So, what you see on CNC isn’t always everything I eat for the day, but I’m going to try to be better about snapping photos of my snacks. With that said…

Snack

Before heading to CrossFit last night, I snacked on a cranberry almond NRG Bar, which was leftover from Reach the Beach. I really like these bars. They’re soft and chewy with bold, not-artificial-tasting flavors, like cranberry almond and pumpkin ginger.

Workout

At first look, I was not psyched about last night’s workout, but I hadn’t been to CrossFit in almost a week, so I decided to go. Plus, Front Squats hurt my wrists and I suck at Cleans. Wah.

Strength:

Front Squat: 3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Climb

WOD:

Every minute on the minute for 12 minutes:

3 Clean and Jerks @80 % of 1RM

Obviously, I needed to go to this workout and work on my “goats.” In CrossFit, “goats” are your weaknesses in training. They’re the exercises that you dread because you’re not very good at them. Everyone has them—even Annie!

Not surprisingly (I swear this always happens with workouts like this), I ended up really liking last night’s workout. I managed to work my way up to 115 pounds for the Front Squats, which is a 50-pound (!!!) increase since January.

For the WOD, I used 65 pounds for the Clean and Jerks. I’m still working on my form for Cleans, so I didn’t kill myself with the weight, but it was definitely still a challenging workout!

Dinner

After CrossFit, I came home, quickly showered, and then started on dinner. I was pretty hungry, so I snacked on a carrot while I prepared the roasted broccoli for dinner.

Last night’s dinner was an old favorite: Soy-Glazed Fish. I love this recipe—it’s easy to make, cooks in 10 minutes (or less), and tastes delicious.

I also added a small salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, truffle oil, and balsamic vinegar to my plate.

Breakfast

I wasn’t in the mood to cook anything this morning, so I toasted up a bagel and added whipped cream cheese to one half and almond butter to the other. Toaster oven = set it and forget it.

I also drank a glass of iced coffee with coconut milk.

Weekly Workouts

• Sunday: 3-mile walk
    • Monday: CrossFit
    • Tuesday: CrossFit
    • Wednesday: 4 miles
    • Thursday: CrossFit
    • Friday: Secret Physique
    • Saturday: Off

Are you more of a snacker or 3-meals-a-day person?

P.S. Pug lovers: I have a pug board on Pinterest now!

Hayley @ Running Down the Runway May 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m pretty sure everyone is a snack addict, which makes me feel much better about dipping my spoon into the nut butter jar one too many times during the day :) I never understood how some people could say that they never eat during meals or haven’t eaten in 5-6 hours- I cant imagine! I rarely every take pictures of my snacks because I feel like they would be super boring!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles May 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’m a snacker. Trying to break the habit because I’m always much more satisfied when I eat better meals instead

Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’m definitely a snacker! I’ve tried eating 3 meals a day and I get so hungry in between that I either overindulge during my meal or end up eating things that are unhealthy and unfulfilling. I like eating three meals with tiny snacks throughout the day to keep my appetite in check!

Maria May 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Are you still running the run to remember? Just a heads up, I’m sure you already know this but secret physique is super tough on the legs! Just a thought in case you want fresh legs for Sunday!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate May 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I love that you are a snacker – me too! It can be such a great way to ensure that you are getting all the nutrients you need on a daily basis if you plan them right. I often carry a FiberPlus bar with me just in case hunger strikes and I’m in between meals. Greek yogurt, fresh fruit/veggies, and trail mix are also great options to consider.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

It depends on the day! Sometimes I eat snack and other days I stick to three larger meals :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I snack soooooooo much!!! I just can’t help it. If I don’t snack I am so hungry throughout the day! Yay for snacks :)

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife May 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I love pickles on salad! Yum!

& I am a serious snacker! I need to busy all day otherwise I am constantly eating!

kristle May 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm

no matter where i go, if its going to be a long excursion or a quick errand, i always bring something with me. lots of my friends tease me about how i always carry multiple snacks in my bag. i just like to be prepared!

Chrissy May 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Looking forward to having you in my class on Friday!! :)

Jessi May 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’d describe myself more as a grazer – bring on the snacks, preferably anything with peanut butter =p

Gail July 28, 2012 at 6:21 pm

@Jessi: Am I really the only three meals a day person? But seriously my three meals are not “larger” because I eat less often. Every meal fits in a 250ml cup for me.

Courtney May 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Snacker all the way! 3 meals + 2 snacks every day!

Lorin May 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm

What type of coffee do you use to brew? Do you have a favorite?

Tina May 23, 2012 at 5:51 am

I just buy whatever is in sale at the grocery store! :)

Alaina May 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I am definitely a snacker! I could just snack all day and be happy. :-)