• Home Sweet Home

May 12, 2012

It’s so nice to be home. I missed my boys. And my bed. And my food. It’s funny how you enjoy those things so much more when you’ve been away from them for a little while.

Because I was traveling and away from my computer for most of last week, I had a lot of catching up to do. So, this morning, I set my alarm for 5:01 AM, rolled out of bed, and got right to work. (I do my best/most efficient work in the early hours of the day.) I spent about an hour working before my stomach started to grumble.

Breakfast

For breakfast, I whipped up a Vanilla Protein Pancake with banana slices and peanut butter on top.

After breakfast, I did some more work and then headed to CrossFit to get my sweat on.

Workout

Today’s WOD was ridiculous. My shoulders are totally smoked from it. I could barely wash my hair in the shower after class! Haha! Check out this workout:

WOD:

Regional Event #4

For time:

50 Back Squats (135/95)
    40 Pull-ups
    30 Shoulder-to-overhead (135/95)
    50 Front Squats (85/65)
    40 Pull-ups
    30 Shoulder-to-overhead (85/65)
    50 Overhead Squats (65/45)
    40 Pull-ups
    30 Shoulder-to-overhead (65/45)

L2: (115/75) to (75/45) to (55/25)
    L1: (95/55) to (65/35) to (45/15)

*Shoulder to OH can be any style: press, push press, push jerk, split jerk, clean and jerk, whatever you prefer.
    *Use bands for pullups if necessary

I used the L2 weight for all of the exercises, but I wussed-out after 3 reps of the first set of shoulder-to-overheads. I struggled to do 50 reps of 75 pounds for the Back Squats, so there was no way I was going to survive 30 should-to-overheads, especially after 40 pull-ups. I ended up using a band for the pull-ups, and my arms were dead by the end of the workout. Pull-ups kill me– even when I use a band.

After CrossFit, I headed home, showered up, and then took Murphy to the dog park.

It was absolutely beautiful today, and the temps hit the lower 80′s.

However, it was a little too hot for pugs, so Murphy and I stuck to the shaded areas of the park during our visit.

At one point, Murphy tried to cool off in the water.

Unfortunately, he discovered that it was low tide.

Sadly, there was no cooling off his pug butt today.

At the end of our time at the park, there was lots of water drinking before Murphy climbed in the car to go home.

Much better.

The AC in the car also helped cool down the pug.

Lunch

When we returned from the park, I whipped up a green smoothie for lunch. In the mix: frozen banana, chopped kale, vanilla protein powder, and almond milk.

Mom, what is this thing? Can I eat it?

Ewww, there’s kale in it. Not interested.

Dinner

After lunch, I hopped in the car again and ran a bunch of errands. It took me a few hours to complete everything on my To Do list, so by the time I got home, I was starving for dinner. I whipped up a quick ham and Swiss cheese sandwich with grainy mustard. I also made some Coconut Sweet Potato Wedges, but they weren’t finished cooking, so I ate my sandwich while I waited.

I used coconut oil to make the Coconut Sweet Potato Wedges.

It comes in solid form, so I just broke off a few chunks (about a 0.5 – 1 tablespoons) and melted it in a pan on the stovetop.

Then, I turned off the heat and tossed around the sweet potato wedges until they were fully coated with coconut oil. Once the sweet potatoes were coated, I transferred them to a baking sheet and cooked them just like my regular Sweet Potato Wedges.

They turned out great with just a hint of coconut flavor. Mmmmm!

For dessert, I enjoyed a box of Vanilla Yogurt Raisins that I got from the Fitness Blogger Meet & Tweet.

I’m just chilling at home tonight. My big plan for the evening is to read in bed. Crazy night in the Haupert house!

When does your brain work best: in the morning or later in the day? When do you do your best work?

P.S. It’s Saturday night. How about enjoying one of these low-calorie cocktails?

Kim May 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Ooh, coconut sweet potatos sound so good! I just bought Trader Joes coconut oil and I love it. I had different coconut oil in the past and it didnt smell or taste anything like coconut so when I opened the jar from TJ’s I was surprised that it smelled so good. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

kristle May 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm

since i’ve recently discovered that i do in fact like coconut, i was excited to see something new at wegmans last night. earth balance coconut peanut spread! its just peanut butter with coconut oil, and its got 17g of fat per serving, but it sure tasted awesome in my smoothie this morning – along with banana, almond-coconut milk, chia seeds and vanilla protein powder! have you ever put shredded coconut in a smoothie? i was thinking about it…

Tina May 12, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Yes, it’s so delicious!

Sana May 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I do my best studying after midnight….
    I can’t stand raisins but Vanilla Yogurt Raisins actually sound good!

grapes>>>>>>>>>>>> raisins

Elle @ nutritionella May 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Im definitely a morning worker. Come 9pm I’m toast! I’ve been on vacation the past week and am also looking forward to getting home tonight and settling back in to my normal routine tomorrow morning!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I’m so much more productive in the a.m. I like to wake up before everyone else and just plow through my ‘to do’ list without any distractions.

Murphy’s tongue and bottom teeth crack me up!

Tina May 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm

@Angela @ Happy Fit Mama: Haha! Me too! They’re so little and bright white!

Jaclyn May 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Totally depends on how much (or little!) sleep I get!!

Hey – do you use gf bread? just curious bc I know you were using it for awhile but have reintroduced wheat.. the sandwich bread looks gf; what kind do you us??

Tina May 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm

It’s Udi’s whole wheat!

Jaclyn May 12, 2012 at 8:19 pm

@Tina: oh ok , thanks !

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) May 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I love those yogurt covered raisins! Wish the ingredients were more natural though

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio May 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I definitely think my brain works best when I sleep until 730AM and then get to work right away. I also get a lot done at night.

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit May 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I always use coconut oil to cook/roast my veggies in. It makes them so luscious! Enjoy your Saturday night!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I do my best work in the morning … by afternoon, it seems like my brain wants to just shut off! ;)

katie @ KatieDid May 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm

killer workout, awesome job! Sounds like a nice little saturday you had, and coming home is just the best after trips even when it means catching up with things.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I’m definitely more productive in the morning. All during finals last week I’d go to bed around 9 or 9:30 and get up at 5 to start studying!

Laura @ She Eats Well May 12, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Murphy has got such a good life! He looks like such a happy pug. And I’m with you…I do best working in the morning. You must be exhausted though…sounds like a relaxing night will be just perfect.

Skin Vitamins May 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I love coconut oil, try slathering yourself with it after a shower! Great moisturizer for your face and skin! Plus makes you smell great.

I am a night owl, I usually stay up working until about 2ish. Any deep conversation before 10 am usually consists of me blinking, staring deeply and intently and nodding a lot. I totally end up getting myself into a lot of trouble. I agreed to do whaaaaattttt…

Nicole

Jody May 12, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Sounds like a great Saturday…minus the 5 AM part! I’m just wondering if you’ve gone completely gluten free? I see that you eat gluten free bread & waffles, but didn’t remember you mentioning it on the blog.

Tina May 13, 2012 at 6:13 am

I’m not gluten-free. I just try not to eat a ton of it since it’s tough on the digestive system. It also knocks me out if I eat too much of it.

Khushboo May 13, 2012 at 12:03 am

I’m an AM worker too…believe it or not I didn’t pull a single all-nighter in college!

Allison@commitcomplete May 13, 2012 at 12:30 am

Night owl all the way Those sweet potatoes look delish!

Jac @ Challenged & Running in the Bike Lane May 13, 2012 at 12:36 am

I really want to try coconut oil, milk and butter. Have you tried the milk or butter yet?

Tina May 13, 2012 at 6:11 am

I’ve tried coconut milk (I actually bought some this week), but not coconut butter. I wonder if it’s any good?

Kristi @ lifesprinkles May 13, 2012 at 3:15 am

I definitely do my best work in the morning. I often have to peel myself away from the computer at night and remind myself that I’ll be much more refreshed to tackle my work in the am.

Your coconut sweet potato fries sound delicious! :)

Michelle (Peachy Palate) May 13, 2012 at 3:33 am

Right back in to the swing of things. Your like a crossfit superstar, really want to try it out! Since you started crossfit do you miss the cardio or do you still do a bit during the week? Just intrigued as I can’t run at the moment and I’ve taken to weights and the elliptical and I’m finding myself much more enthused about the strength training (though missing running like crazy!).

Tina May 13, 2012 at 6:10 am

I do cardio at CrossFit, and I also run a few times a week, so I don’t miss it! :)

Hannah May 13, 2012 at 4:41 am

I am a total morning person- I wish my work day could be like 6am-2pm or something. My brain shuts down at about 8pm, but is fully alert at 5am!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 13, 2012 at 7:18 am

Murphy is so funny! I’m going to have to try sweet potato wedges done in coconut oil. I’ve not tried that before. Thanks for the idea! Have a lovely Sunday!

Lindsay May 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

I always do my best work early in the day. I like gettin up, gettin going, and saving the night time for crashing/husband fun/MOI time;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

I’m a morning person, but I don’t think I could start doing work at 5 am like you! I like to have an hour or two to eat breakfast and adjust to being awake! :P

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 13, 2012 at 8:48 am

Love all the Murphy pictures! He’s so cute!

I’m definitely more productive in the AM hours, too!

Jess May 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I just posted a post with this exact title yesterday! Too weird. :P

Yui May 14, 2012 at 1:17 am

Just look at that cutey Murphy.
    I think I am more productive at night. I don’t know why but I just feel so unbeatable right after I’m home from work.

Ashley May 14, 2012 at 10:49 am

My Pug Darien gets overheated real easy so I don’t take him on walks anymore. I always feel so bad because he acts like he is having a heat storke/heart attack. There have been many of times where I had to carry him home! Now that is a task carrying a 26 pound pug up hill! ;) Now we just play fetch in the back yard or I will chase him around the house. For some strange reason he likes for me to do that. What can I say, he is a very silly PUG!!!

Laura is Undeterrable May 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm

We did that WOD last week. I really wanted to RX it, and I did, but I only made it through 1 round. They held us to the 22 minute cut off, though some people stayed and finished. After doing 30 shoulder to overhead of 95# (a PR!) I was done. Felt amazing though :) I’ll try to do the whole thing again soon. It was also the first time I’ve squated with weight since January.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 15, 2012 at 1:45 am

Just beginning to learn the awesomeness that is coconut butter/oil! If you get a chance, try coconut butter on a sweet-potato, post-baking. SO GOOD :)