• Dare to Bare: 5 Foods to Eat for Healthy Skin

May 5, 2012

A few weeks ago, the DailyBuzz Healthy Living Program asked me if I wanted to review Dove’s Clear Tone Deodorant, which “visibly reduces dark marks and evens tone with regular use over time, while providing 24-hour odor and wetness protection.” At first, I almost declined and deleted the email because I don’t have dark marks under my arms, but then I thought it might be nice to wear a woman’s deodorant instead of a man’s deodorant. Plus, the Clear Tone Deodorant claims “it stays on skin — not on clothes,” which is my biggest gripe with ladies deodorants, so I decided to give it a try.

Disclaimer: As part of the DailyBuzz Healthy Living Program, I received free Clear Tone Deodorant and a stipend from Dove. However, my opinions are entirely my own.

I have to admit, the Clear Tone Deodorant did not go on clear (it left white residue on my underarms as well as my black workout top), but it was better than most ladies “clear” deodorants. It kept me dry and smelling nice during my workout, but I plan to stick to my men’s deodorant in the future. I’m telling ya, there just isn’t a true clear woman’s deodorant on the market. If you’ve found one, please let me know!

As part of the DailyBuzz Healthy Living Program, I was asked to blog about my tips and tricks for feeling confident in my bare skin (aka “Dare to Bare”). Recently, I’ve experienced fewer breakouts by cleaning up my diet, so I’ve decided to highlight some of the foods I eat on a regular basis for healthy skin. Having a clear, blemish-free complexion definitely makes me feel confident in my bare skin.

5 Foods to Eat for Healthy Skin

Oranges

Vitamin C, found in oranges and other citrus fruits, may be an effective way to combat acne as it is a powerful antioxidant that helps to heal, repair, and protect skin from free radical damage. Vitamin C also may prevent wrinkles.

2012-05-05_0812

How I include oranges into my diet: sliced as a snack, squeezed into a smoothie, or drizzled on a salad.

Fish

Fish is loaded with good-for-you omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may be beneficial to breakouts. Omega-3s can also help soften dry skin by holding in moisture, which helps decrease the look of wrinkles.

2012-05-05_0815

How I include fish in my diet: tuna melts, sushi, Soy Glazed Fish, Tuna Couscous Salad with Roasted Broccoli & Feta, Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Couscous.

Kale

Consuming foods, such as kale, that are high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients may reduce your chances of having acne. Kale is loaded with vitamin A, which also has anti-aging benefits.

2012-05-05_0813_001

How I include kale in my diet: smoothies, kale chips, and mixed into salads and egg dishes.

Eggs

Sulfur-rich foods like eggs benefit the skin from the inside out. Sulfur helps to keep the skin smooth by repairing tissue and elasticity in skin.

2012-05-05_0813

How I include eggs in my diet: egg sandwiches, OMG! Pancakes, Tortilla-Crusted Feta-and-Broccoli Quiche, Mini Tomato Frittatas, and Polenta Breakfast Pizza.

Strawberries

Strawberries are a natural source of salicylic acid, which is one of the most effective acne fighting agents. Strawberries can also help to lighten hyperpigmentation problems.

IMG_0008-800x600_thumb

How I include strawberries in my diet: fresh as a snack, mixed into yogurt, cereal, smoothies, or a salad.

If you struggle with breakouts, how has changing your diet affected your skin?

Luv What You Do May 5, 2012 at 9:49 am

I had big skin problems when I had to stop taking the pill. I tried a lot of different things, including an oral antibiotic, but the one thing that really made a change was cleaning up my diet. I stopped eating processed food, anything with HFCS, and made a huge decrease in white sugar and white flour. I was able to stop taking my antibiotic and for the most part, my skin and I are getting along great now!

Thanks for the food suggestions. I am always looking to add more skin healthy foods!

Lynn @ the actor's diet May 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

Funny when I used to do diet and cleanses I would break out constantly. Now that I eat sugar everyday my skin is always clear!!!

Anne May 5, 2012 at 10:04 am

I totally feel you with the deodorant issue. I’ve been using men’s deodorant for years already, because there is just no satisying option for us women (meaning: no marks, no aweful smells and no wetness). Although I had one for women by the German brand CD once that I liked, but it was discontinued. Just my luck :D
    And I didn’t know that strawberries make healthy skin, even more reason to eat them than there yumminess! :) Too bad I’m allergic to oranges. I don’t even know what they taste like, but they always look really delish and like juicy goodness when I see someone eating them.

Molly@RDexposed May 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

Did you know that strawberries are higher in vitamin c than oranges?

Mary B. May 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

Great tips! I have horrible breakouts. I am trying to cleanup my diet as well. Hopefully it will help me too.

Angela@The Chicken Scoop May 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

I didn’t realize how much better my skin was until just a few days ago when I saw a close up picture of myself from a few years ago. Wow did I have blemish and acne problems! Not too major but more than now. I guess working out and eating right cleared that all up. I never have issues now!
    ~And
    PS. I use Degree deodorant because it has the highest amount of chemical in it (normally I avoid chemicals but I sweat too much). This means that I don’t have to put that much on for it to works so I don’t have issues with white marks. Also, I roll the bottom of my top up before putting it on to avoid any marks on my shirt! Just stick what works for you!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 5, 2012 at 11:18 am

These are good suggestions, I really need to remember to eat more salmon!

Lianne May 5, 2012 at 11:20 am

Have you ever tried Degree Clinical Protection? It’s for women. I think it works great, never had it leave white marks and is a lot stronger than other women deodorants.

Tina May 5, 2012 at 11:30 am

I haven’t tried that one. It really goes on clear?

Nicole May 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm

@Tina: I’d 2nd the Degree Clinical Protection. Works great, clear, etc.

Lianne May 6, 2012 at 9:53 am

@Tina:

Yes it does! I love it. I used to have to use my man’s deodorant too, but not anymore. And they have ones that smell nice too.

Tina May 6, 2012 at 11:00 am

Good to know! Thank you!

Erica May 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I find the less artificial food/type ingredients I eat, the better my skin looks! Bummer the deodorant still left you all white- I use degree only

Morgan May 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I use certain dri, and it has changed my life! It is a roll on clear antiperspirant that you put on at bed time, and you will not sweat the next day, at all. I have a serious perspiration problem and I had given up on finding a deodorant that worked, and often used my husbands. It is so strong that I am actually okay if I miss one night. I LOVE this preponderant, it doesn’t have a scent, just keeps you from smelling:-)

laine May 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I use Dri Idea clear gel – no scent. I love it. It has never left white marks on anything, and a little bit goes a long way so you aren’t all goopy.

Am I the only person who didn’t know that dark marks and uneven skin tone in arm pits was a problem?

Tina May 5, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Ha! I didn’t know it was a problem either!

nickee May 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

hmm that’s weird. I’ve been using Dove deodrants for years and i love it!! i havent used this particular one (but I was planning on trying it right after my current dove is done) but everyone of the dove deos I’ve used have been awesome. Went on clear and smelled great :)

Shannon May 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Wow didn’t know that about strawberries, that is great!

Jennifer L May 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

my skin has been nuts lately… I think it’s too much sugar :/ but good thing I bought oranges and kale today! it really is time to clean up my diet anyway… great post!

Traci May 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Interesting – I had no idea strawberries contained salicylic acid!

becca May 7, 2012 at 12:01 am

thanks for sharing this! i wanted to suggest switching to a deodorant and dropping antiperspirants altogether because of the cancers/diseases related to aluminum exposure (you can check out this website: http://www.aluminumchloride.net/Aluminum-Chloride-Side-Effects.html).

i did it about a year ago and have been happy with it… and i am a SWEAT-ER! after about 2 weeks of just using a crystal deodorant (all it does is prevent b.o.) i was sweating less. i decided to use a normal antiperspirant/deodorant for a wedding i was in a few months later and literally didn’t sweat a drop! our bodies are made to sweat, to flush out toxins, and i ended up sweating more because my sweat glands were working harder as i was trying to block them.

but obviously no one wants to be the stinky girl, so you have to do what works for you. :) another plus of the crystal, no more white marks or yellow armpit stains in my shirts!

Tina May 7, 2012 at 3:44 am

I don’t know that they make separate deodorants for men and women, but Tom’s deodorants have worked the best for me. They are a little more expensive, but They don’t leave a mark on my clothes or contain aluminum, which most commercial deodorants do. I always got rashes from the ones that have aluminum.

Lauren May 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Ugh, I too have yet to find a clear women’s deodorant that’s truly clear. Since I wear a lot of dark/neutral shades, this is a particularly annoying problem! I never thought to try a men’s deodorant, so thank you for the suggestion :) I may need to cross over into men’s territory now…

Separately, I’ve never had particularly problematic skin, but I do suffer from the occasional breakout. Additionally, I’m naturally quite pale, so my skin has the tendency to look dull and lifeless. I’ve found that fish oil does wonders for revitalizing my complexion (and hair – makes it much longer and stronger). In addition, I eat a ton of kale, spinach, and strawberries, so I’m sure that these foods also have a positive effect on my skin, too.

Bella March 29, 2013 at 9:58 am

Nice tips – I never know that kale was good for skin!

However, I can suggest one more – aloe vera juice! For one, it helps with digestion, which means less cause for acne. Also it deliver a lot of zinc and vitamin B, which fights acne.

Avocado also comes into mind, since it’s rich in vitamin C and E – natural moisturizer and anti-inflammatory and nutrient.