• CrossFit Travel WODs

May 31, 2012

Hello, hello!

A bunch of you guys mentioned that you’d love to try CrossFit if it wasn’t so expensive. I agree, it’s a pricey hobby, but you can do many of the WODs at your gym or at home. Check out this post for info and more budget-friendly ideas. Additionally, here are some travel WODs that you can print out or pin on Pinterest. All of them can be done without equipment.

Speaking of CrossFit…

Local readers: I just received an email from the Lululemon at Derby Street about a complimentary CrossFit class and demo. Details below!

Saturday, June 2nd @ 11am
    lululemon athletica, Derby Street Shoppes

Check off one of your goals on June 2nd at our complimentary Introduction to Cross Fit session with Hingham CrossFit Coach Trish at 11am in-store. We’ll start inside with a demo and move it out. This is a perfect opportunity to learn the basics and try a WOD (that’s “work out of the day” for those in the know) so you’ll feel comfortable heading to your local Cross Fit “box” (a location near you).

Mmm! This morning’s breakfast was a whole bunch of delicious goodies:

Greek yogurt with granola and fresh raspberries.

_MG_7709 (750x499)

A Coconut Flour Zucchini Muffin.

_MG_7724 (750x499)

And a glass of iced coffee with coconut milk.

_MG_7739 (750x499)

I loved this breakfast.

_MG_7766 (750x499)

After breakfast, I headed out to run a mile for the Summer Run Streak. I planned to run 2 miles, but Murphy took forever on his walk this morning (he always does when I have somewhere to be), so I cut my run down to one mile. I finished in 8:37.

After my run, I headed into NuVal for a few hours. I packed some leftovers from last night’s dinner + a Coconut Flour Zucchini Muffin to eat for lunch.

On the way home from NuVal, I stopped by Marylou’s for an iced coffee. I had a serious craving for a Peanut Butter Wonderful today.

My forehead looks seriously massive in this pic, but pure joy is written all over my face, and that’s all that matters, right? It’s funny (bizarre?) how happy iced coffee makes me.

When I got home, I snacked on a banana with some homemade maple cinnamon almond butter. Unfortunately, I didn’t measure the ingredients, so I don’t have a recipe, but I’ll be sure to make it again and share on CNC. It was frickin’ delicious!

I’m heading out to walk Murphy and then I’m possibly going to CrossFit. I’m kind of sore from yesterday’s workout, so sitting on the couch and watching a movie (with wine) tonight sounds pretty awesome. However, the WOD is a bear complex, which would be really fun, soooooo maybe I’ll end up there after all. We’ll see!

Kamaile May 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I LOVE iced coffee even in the winter & wish I could try a peanut butter wonderful! I’m trying Crossfit on Saturday and looking forward to it. YES please post the recipe on the almond butter.

Renee May 31, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I just started the RW challenge, and I am so not a runner. When I saw you did a mile in 8:37 I was pretty impressed. I thought I was doing good at 16:00–ha ha! Guess I’ll have to work my way down to an eight minute mile!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Iced coffee makes me ridiculously happy too. I’m about to have my afternoon glass. Really thinking I should pick up some coconut milk at the store – mmm!

And those zucchini muffins sound superb. I love baking with zucc :)

Megan@ The Running Doc May 31, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for posting these workouts! I’m anxious to try a few so I can get a little taste of Crossfit!

Grace @ Grace Dishes May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Food looks super yummy! I’ve been making coffee ahead of time and cooling it for my boyfriend to enjoy his iced coffees! :)

I’ve heard amazing things about crossfit! My boyfriend is looking into it. Apparently they are building some huge facility in Tampa for it!

Annette@FitnessPerks May 31, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I love doing quick workouts that are effective and fun–so great idea to post these. Thanks :)

I say do both….CF and then relaxin’ with a movie/book afterwards!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 31, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’ve been tempted to just try a WOD, but I feel like a huge part of crossfit is form, and I wouldn’t know if I was doing it right! Haha and the other huge part is the sense of community!

Sana May 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I think people can afford $$ workouts if they make room in their budget. Like eating in ect.

Alyssa (pb and oatmeal) May 31, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Those muffins look delicious!

Laura May 31, 2012 at 5:07 pm

i LOVE the bear complex, you can’t pass up this opportunity!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm

If I had that Peanut Butter iced coffee in my neck of the woods, I’d be smiling that broadly, too! :)

Abby @ BackAtSquareZero May 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm
    B @ Crags and Veggies May 31, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Your Greek yogurt looks like icing, beautiful and yummy! Love Marylou’s iced coffee!

Amy May 31, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I know exactly what you mean about iced coffee. I hate Mondays so my BF and I go get iced coffees after work and it seriously turns my day around 100% haha.

Tina May 31, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Oooh, the power of iced coffee! It definitely has some magical powers! :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I’ll put my money on you going to crossfit! We shall see tomorrow if I am correct! 😉

Cait's Plate May 31, 2012 at 6:53 pm

You’re definitely not alone in your love for iced coffee. It makes me just as happy!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 31, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Wow, those are some workouts! I’ve slacked and I need to get back into it again, especially since I got my eating under control!!

Cait May 31, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I made a variation of that dish you made for dinner last night, using what I had on hand-chicken broth, red potatoes, garlic, andouille sausage, and spinach, topped with fresh Parmesan…it was FANTASTIC! great recipe idea that was quick and easy and my boyfriend and I really enjoyed it. Thanks!

Rebecca May 31, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I think that if I were ten years younger, crossfit would be really appealing to me. Not because I am in worse shape now, but because I have become seriously introverted in my old age (37) and all those people would be too much for me!

I do understand about expensive workout addictions, though. I am hooked on Bikram yoga and it ain’t cheap.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Like any workout, the best workout is the one that you will do! If an at home WOD works for you, go for it! If you can afford a box, do it!

Heather May 31, 2012 at 9:32 pm

you and your iced coffee make me laugh!

Tina May 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Haha! I have problems!

Ali May 31, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I so need a peanut butter iced coffee. I live in the Midwest, so Marylou’s is out for me. Any idea’s on how to make your own?

Tina May 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm

The employees won’t reveal their secret iced coffee recipes, but rumor has it that they add cold Swiss Miss cocoa!

Ali May 31, 2012 at 10:12 pm

@Tina: I was wondering if I could use the PB2 stuff. Does the coffee have a chocolate taste also? Hmm I will have to figure this out and I will let you know if I come up with a recipe! PS have you use the Toddy to make cold brewed coffee? It’s so good!

Charissa May 31, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I’ll have to try the travel workout…sounds fun!

Khushboo May 31, 2012 at 10:39 pm

The first sip of iced coffee makes me ridiculously happy!

Catalina @ Cake with Love May 31, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Those workouts sound great and tough! Love your breakfast, it looks so colorful and summery!

Amanda Cotcher May 31, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I was never an iced coffee girl until I saw yours everyday….now I’m hooked! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 31, 2012 at 11:00 pm

maple cinnamon almond butter – yum! That totally reminds me that I need to make some more peanut / almond butter soon!

Tasha @Tashasdish June 1, 2012 at 1:44 am

Thanks for the cross fit travel WODs. I will have to give them a try.

Laura June 1, 2012 at 4:22 am

Tina, do you have some YouTube favorites or pointers? I would love to try CrossFit, but the next available beginner’s course in my neck of woods starts in August. Video would be really helpful in attempting the moves somewhat correctly.

Also, looking forward to the homemade maple cinnamon almond butter recipe.

Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger June 1, 2012 at 7:22 am

This is perfect timing! I’m on vacation and didnt necessarily want to pay the $15 entrance fee to the local CrossFit box. But Marathon Monday WOD here I come!

PS its funny bc I totally miss CrossFit now that I’m away. Did you and Mal feel the same way when you were on the cruise?

Tina June 1, 2012 at 7:50 am

Omg, yes!!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! June 1, 2012 at 7:29 am

I neeeeed to try Marylou’s coffee! You make it sound so yummy! Just gotta make my way south of the city… :)

Tina June 1, 2012 at 7:50 am

Yessssss, you do! There’s one in Quincy! :)

Meagan June 1, 2012 at 8:39 am

Where did you get your headband in the pic with your iced coffee? SO CUTE!!

Alaina June 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

Iced coffee makes the gloomy days better. I always declare when I get my first iced coffee of the season…in March. :-)

I love these workouts! I’ll definitely have to pin them.

Lisa @ exercise, eat, repeat June 1, 2012 at 8:57 am

I love the look of those muffins and will have to give them a try. Your meals always look so fresh and tasty mmmm

Rebecca June 1, 2012 at 9:15 am

I just did the Hooray for Honduras WOD at home. It was definitely tough but I loved it. Thanks for posting!

Tina June 1, 2012 at 9:21 am

Nice! So glad you liked it! :)

Jennifer June 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Great serious of WODs! Thanks for the posting!

jane June 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm

haha you’re too funny about your forehead-i never would’ve noticed in the slightest! my sister always complains about her large forehead and again, I never noticed she had a big forehead. Then i picked up a photo and said how much i hated my gums (i know, im strange!) and of course my sister said i was being ridiculous. It’s crazy how we pick ourselves apart-but no one else notices!

kristle June 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm

i just did the day at sea – my first attempt at a crossfit wod ever – and i finished it! definitely proud of myself, though i’m sure that’s one of the easier ones. thanks for posting these. most of the time when you talk about crossfit wods, it’s like greek to me. all the different names of the exercises, i have no idea what they mean.

Dede Brentlinger June 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

That coffee sounded DELICIOUS, but no coffee shop around here other than Star Bucks :(.

I have never thought of doing crossfit, but I can understand the price of being ” addicted” to a work out. Mine is Turbo Fire, really anything that Chalene Johnson has produced. I love her work out style and her up beat personality. I have more than a few of her workout dvds and I even take them with me when we go on vacation :0)

Katrina June 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Very cool! I posted some WODs a day before this post! I’m leaving for 2 weeks and must have my crossfit WODs so I made some up and pinned them. Even without equipment, it’s easy to see how intense these can be with just body weight and plyometrics. I am taking my double under rope, though. It takes little space and it works.

Cassie June 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

loved the travel WOD’s…I might have to stow those away!! The concepts are always there.e…plus you can even do some of the Girl or Hero WOD out on vacation if you don’t have weights! Cindy, Mary, Michael….they’re all home-gym friendly ;). But I like the ones you posted…I might have to save those for a rainy (out of town) day.

Coach KL July 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hey Tina!

I came across your blog about travel CrossFit workouts for people wanting to try out CrossFit. We have laid out 3 sample WODs for people who are interested (http://wodathome.com/sample-wods/).

Also, I can get you set-up with a free subscription to WOD at Home if you are interested in giving us some feedback as we try and improve our workout descriptions.

Coach KL