• 2012 Northeast Regional CrossFit Games

May 28, 2012

Hi, guys! Happy Memorial Day!

I spent the last two days at the Northeast Regional CrossFit Games at the Reebok Headquarters in Canton, Massachusetts. The three-day event officially kicked-off on Friday, but I only attended the Saturday and Sunday competitions.

Spectating the event was a lot of fun. It was a lively experience and there were a ton of fans cheering on fellow box members, family, friends, and their favorite athletes. After two days of watching these incredibly athletes, I left feeling inspired, motivated, and ready to work hard at CrossFit tomorrow!

Saturday

At 8:30 on Saturday morning, our friend Nick picked up Mal and me up at our house to drive down to the Regionals together. The first event kicked off at 9:00 AM, so we didn’t want to miss a thing.

When we arrived, there were already a ton of people at the event. It was almost like a big CrossFit festival with vendors, games, food, and a huge tent area where boxes could set up for the day.

It was neat seeing all of the CrossFit-ers representing their individual boxes by wearing shirts and other gear.

I didn’t wear my CrossFit 781 shirt on Friday and felt totally left out, so I bought a CrossFit tank that said “Stronger Than Yesterday” to wear.

Actually, the truth is that I sweat through the tank top I originally wore because it was so damn hot on Saturday, so I bought a new, cooler (both temperature- and look-wise) tank to wear.

Highlights from the day:

Watching the women do the Individual Workout 3, which was four rounds for time of 10 one-arm dumbbell snatches with 70 pounds followed by a sprint.

Seventy pounds is insane! Just to give you an idea how talented and strong these ladies are, I could maybe do 1 one-arm dumbbell snatch with half the weight. These ladies are beasts!

All of the workouts during the Regionals had a time cap, but in CrossFit spirit, the ladies cheered on the final athlete while she finished her last reps.

The team events were also a highlight of the day. Each of the teams was made up of two men and two women and they competed together to finish each of six workouts throughout the three-day competition. Team Event 4, in particular, was cool to watch:

For time:
    75 Back squats (95 lbs)
    50 Pull-ups
    25 Shoulder-to-overhead (95 lbs)
    75 Front squats (65 lbs)
    50 Pull-ups
    25 Shoulder-to-overhead (65 lbs)
    75 Overhead squats (45 lbs)
    50 Pull-ups
    25 Shoulder-to-overhead (45 lbs)
    75 Back squats (135 lbs)
    50 Pull-ups
    25 Shoulder-to-overhead (135 lbs)
    75 Front squats (85 lbs)
    50 Pull-ups
    25 Shoulder-to-overhead (85 lbs)
    75 Overhead squats (65 lbs)
    50 Pull-ups
    25 Shoulder to overhead (65 lbs)

While any member of the team was performing, the other members needed to hold the bar off the ground. If the bar touched the ground, there was a 1:00 penalty.

Imagine how tired you’d feel after performing all of these different exercises and then need to hold a heavy bar? Holy moly. You could tell it was a serious challenge for some of the women.

Here’s a short video of the start of Team Event 4. Check out CrossFit New England in the red at the front. The team came in first place at the Regionals. They’re animals!

Another highlight: the fun CrossFit t-shirts at the event. I wish I snapped photos of more of them, but here are a couple that I liked:

The final highlight of Saturday was seeing Austin Malleolo compete. He coached our WOD at the Reebok blogger event a few weeks ago, so it was really cool to see him in action.

Spoiler alert: Austin came in first place at the Regionals!

Eats from the day:

Mal packed a bunch of snacks in his backpack: apples, oranges, Kashi trail mix bars, and mixed nuts + dried fruit. I ate a bunch of nuts and dried fruit as well as an orange.

I also ate a burger from b.good, but never snapped a photo of it, and I stayed hydrated with water, iced coffee, and coconut water throughout the day.

Sunday

On Sunday, I ran the Run to Remember Half Marathon (recap coming soon) and then drove with Elizabeth down to Canton for the final day of the Regionals.

I rocked my CrossFit 781 shirt!

Highlights from the day:

Seeing the guys (both team and individual) dominate Event 5, which was a Snatch Ladder. In this event, teams/individuals work their way through a series of stations with progressively heavier barbells. Check out the men’s weights (pounds): 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215, 225, 235, 245, 255, 265, 275, 285, 295. Yowsahs!

Spencer Hendel (in the red shirt) snatched 265 pounds to win the event!

The final team event was nuts. Check it out:

For time:
    20 Muscle-ups while partner holds 225 pounds
    60 Wall ball shots (20-pound ball to 10′) while partner holds chin over the bar
    100′ Buddy and 100-pound dumbbell carry
    40 Box jumps, alternating on 24″ box
    100′ Buddy and 100-pound dumbbell carry
    2 Muscle-ups
    20 Muscle-ups while partner holds 135 pounds
    60 Wall ball shots (14-pound ball to 10′) while partner holds chin over the bar
    100′ Buddy and 70-pound dumbbell carry
    40 Box jumps, alternating on 20″ box
    100′ Buddy and 70-pound dumbbell carry
    2 Muscle-ups

The workout started with one person doing Muscle-ups while the other person held a 225-pound bar (for the men). The partners could switch, but the Muscle-up reps only counted while the partner was holding the barbell. Once they accumulated 20 Muscle-ups, they moved on to the Wall Balls.

While one person did the Wall Balls, the other person hung in a pull-up until they finished the Wall Balls. Again, the partners could switch, but the Wall Ball reps only counted while the partner was holding on the pull-up bar.

Once the Wall Balls were done, the partners moved onto the “buddy carry.” One person carried their partner plus a dumbbell for 100 feet across the stadium. Crazy, right?

Check it out!

The workout finished with 40 alternating box jumps, the opposite athlete carrying their partner and dumbbell back across the stadium, and two Muscle-ups. Once the men finished, the women started. They did the same workout, but with lighter weights.

I still can’t get over the women busting out multiple Muscle-ups in a row! I can’t even do one!

Seriously, these women are so inspiring.

Another highlight of the day was our box’s tent! We didn’t have one on Saturday, but we came fully prepared on Sunday with a grill, food, and beers! So fun!

CrossFit 781 ladies!

Mal totally photo-bombed this pic of Colleen and me! Haha!

Eat from the day:

I had just finished running a half marathon, so I refueled with a packed of sfh Recovery Whey Protein and some almond milk that Mal brought me from home.

I drank about half of it and then broke open a celebratory beer!

For lunch, I ate a cheeseburger.

And an apple.

What a fun couple of days! Now, I seriously cannot wait for the CrossFit Games in July!

What athletes inspire and motivate you?

elizabeth | notes, quotes & anecdotes May 28, 2012 at 8:17 am

you’re amazing, tina – if i ever ran a 1/2, i think the rest of my day would be spent collapsed on a couch, but not you! haha you look to those crossfit women as inspiration, but so many look to YOU! :)

Khushboo Thadani May 28, 2012 at 8:23 am

Wow these women are amazing- just thinking about lifting those kinda weights makes me exhausted! I bet you are itching for some crossfit now :)! I always get a huge urge to run when I see other people running!

Krista May 28, 2012 at 8:44 am

I want that Rich Froning shirt! I’m not a fan of crossfit, but I do think he’s about the hottest man alive.

Sneakers2Sandals May 28, 2012 at 8:50 am

That looks so awesome and btw in a non-weird way i just wanted to compliment you on how friggen awesome you look and how i can totally tell a difference since you started CF a few months ago!

Jenn May 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

I just officially started CrossFit classes last week but a ton of people from my box went to NorthEast too. Looks like an awesome weekend!

Maria May 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

Agh looks like such a fun event!!! So cool that you got to go to this, I’m totally jealous. Also, you look hot in your pics, and I’m not talking about the weather, hah.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh May 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

Wow, I’m exhausted just reading about it! Looks like a great experience!

Megan@therunningdoc May 28, 2012 at 9:11 am

Wow, those team events seem unreal! And by unreal I mean impossible!! I was actually watching the championships from last year just a couple weeks ago on TV and those women are amazing. The things are bodies can do when we push them are crazy!

Danielle May 28, 2012 at 9:20 am

Awesome recap! I was there this weekend and was one of the most inspiring things to watch! So amazing to see the dedication and talent all of the competing athletes had. Can’t wait for the games!!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

That looks like so much fun, and amazing to watch! You could be competing in those one day!

ashley May 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

I actually knew Spencer Hendel in college! Worked on a group project with him. That is so awesome that he is doing so well in crossfit! Very proud of him!

Ashley May 28, 2012 at 9:36 am

What a great weekend! I’d love to go the Games this summer. I can’t imagine how cool it’d be to see those amazing athletes work out! :)

Angela@The Chicken Scoop May 28, 2012 at 9:38 am

I *love* watching the CrossFit games! I actually find those women the most inspiring! Must have been amazing to watch them in person!!
    ~Ang

Annette@FitnessPerks May 28, 2012 at 10:05 am

That is SO cool!! I love strong, athletic women. It is sexy, hardcore, and so very awesome. Way to support a great group of athletes and fitness fanatics :)

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl May 28, 2012 at 10:28 am

Those events are crazy! And one would have to be totally strong to whip those out. 70lb db snatches. crazy! now I feel weak. LOL.
    Looks like a wonderful time. I wish I made it to the So Cal event. but caught much of it around the web.

Glad you had a great time!

Amy @Health Hungry May 28, 2012 at 11:34 am

Athletes that inspire me most are the folks on the Biggest Loser… they overcome so much adverstiy, and move through so many emotions – to find that there is an athlete living inside waiting to come out and kick a$$! One of the things I know about myself is that fear is my biggest monster; fear I’ll fail, fear that it will hurt and feel awful, fear that people will judge me, fear that I’ll break something… on and on they go.

You inspire me too! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your normalcy(meaning you are always open and honest about who you are, and where you are at). Thanks, as always for being you! ;)

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy May 28, 2012 at 11:43 am

I love that you act that running a half was no big deal! Just part of your weekend shenanigans!

kayleigh May 28, 2012 at 11:48 am

hey Tina! looks like you guys had an awesome time. I have a sort of weird question ( promise I’m not a creep, haha) but on Sunday under your crossfit tank is that a sports bra, bathing suit top or what?? I just love the cut of it! again, sorry if this is weird to answer, I guess I’m just nosy! :)

Tina May 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

Haha! It’s the Lululemon Ta Ta Tamer. Best sports bra ever!

kayleigh May 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

@Tina: haha! thank you! the second I saw it I was like “ooh! I needdd that!” shoulda guessed it would be lululemon ;)

wymberley May 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm

great post! I was lucky enough to go to South Central a few weeks ago. It was so inspiring! I would have enjoyed a day outside like you but in South Texas, it was way too hot. I just found your site and am going to follow, hope you will check me out too!

Nicole May 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm

so jealous that you got to go watch Regionals. The SE regionals were a bit too far to drive,so I had to follow along online. Our gym owner actually made it to the games which makes it even more exciting. Are you doing the “Murphy” wod today for Memorial Day? If so, report back and let me know what you thought.

Laura May 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm

How did you like the SFH recovery protein powder? I’m trying to decide what kind of recovery mix I want to buy, and was thinking about SFH. How’d it taste? Did it have a weird artificial taste at all?

So pumped for the games in July as well! I was just at the north west regionals this past weekend and they were insane! Are you planning on going to the games out in cali?

Tina May 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Love it! I’m planning to stock up on it soon. My old protein powder is now made with soy (boo), so I’m glad that I found SFH.

rob fiasco May 28, 2012 at 6:47 pm

omg I love that Fromance shirt. hahah awesome.

any of the crossfit athletes inspire me lately especially Froning, Dan Bailey, Annie T, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet and Julie Foucher. I wish I had half the determination they do.

looks like y’all had a great time!! :)

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 28, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Awesome, awesome! jealous. wish i could have gone to my regionals!

Janetha May 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

I love that Stronger Than Yesterday tank!Super cute. Also, your legs are lookin lean and mean. xo

Crystal June 5, 2012 at 11:43 am

Does anyone remember the name of the cool lunchbox vender (the one with all the drawers and separate containers) that was at Regionals??

Thank you!