• Ziplining & Crystal Cave Tubing in Belize

April 27, 2012

Woohoo!

Let the cruise adventures continue!

The other excursion that Mal and I did on the cruise was a ziplining and tubing “adventure” tour in Belize. We were really psyched for this one!

Once we departed the cruise ship, we boarded a bus, which drove us 1.5 hours to Jaguar Paw. During the drive, our tour guide shared interesting facts about Belizean culture, history, and geology.

Once we arrived at Jaguar Paw, we were fitted with harnesses and given a brief safety lesson before we climbed up 500 feet to zipline across the jungle. (I’m terrified of heights, so obviously I wasn’t nervous at all.)

Safety first!

Jazz hands second!

There were five different ziplines on the tour, so once I survived the first one, I calmed down and really enjoyed whizzing through the jungle.

Before we started, our tour guide showed us how to put on the brakes using our hand on the line (hence the gloves) since we really picked up speed at times.

We were going so fast on some of the ziplines, there were a couple of guys at the end to physically stop us, which basically meant they got body-slammed each time.

I elbowed one guy so hard in the chest that I apologized to him several times, but he didn’t seem to mind at all. I guess he was used to it since he did it all day long! Poor guy!

After ziplining, Mal and I switched gears and put on life vests for the second half of the tour. We climbed into inner tubes and floated through a crystal-encrusted cave. I didn’t bring my camera since we were going into water, so here’s a pic from the Carnival website, which gives you an idea what it was all about:

It was really neat! And, at the end, we were allowed to swim the final part, which was so amazing! I’m not much of a swimmer, but I absolutely loved it. I mean, swimming in a cave in Belize? Wicked cool.

Similar to exploring the Mayan Ruins of Tulum, this excursion took a solid 8 hours. It actually ran longer than 8 hours, so it was pretty hectic rushing back to the ship before it departed, but because we booked through Carnival, we knew it wouldn’t leave without us. There was a lot of waiting around during this tour (i.e. the long drive and crowds at Jaguar Paw), but it was a lot of fun and definitely worth it.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 27, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m so jealous! I cannot WAIT until we’re at the proper weight limit to go whizzing through Hawaiian countryside.

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! April 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

Awesome! I love ziplining. I’ve been lucky enough to do it twice now in Kauai! Looks like you had a blast on this excursion. I’ve never been on a cruise (it’s actually never really appealed to me to go on one) but with the potential for adventures like the ones you had, it’s becoming more attractive to me! Thanks for sharing everything :)

Julie April 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm

@Colleen @ What’s Baking in the Barbershop?!:
    I just read your comment– my fiance and I are going to Kauai this summer for our honeymoon and plan to go ziplining– any recommendations?!!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 27, 2012 at 8:06 am

That looks like so much fun! Ziplining is something that I have on my bucket list!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 27, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’ve always wanted to do ziplining in the jungle!!! That’s so awesome! And I LOVE swimming through caves! I’ve done that a few times in the Apostle Islands up in Lake Superior. Haha I bet my swim was a little chillier than Belize… You guys picked some awesome activities!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

We did the same kind of ziplining in Costa Rica on our honeymoon. I hated having to use my hand as a brake … it scared me having my hand so close to that wire! I actually got a small burn mark on my wrist from having my hand in the wrong position during one ride (but that was my dumb fault!). Glad you had such an awesome time!! :)

Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

Wow, the cave tubing looks incredible! Belize is on our “someday” list of places not only to visit, but to live eventually. I keep telling my husband it’s my 5 year plan, but he doesn’t believe me.

Katie @ cooklaughmove April 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

My husband and I did an X-Rail tour to Jade Caverns in Cozumel on our cruise. It was AWESOME swiming in the canverns!

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 27, 2012 at 8:18 am

Ahhh I wish I had the guts to do ziplining! It looks like such a blast but I think I’d freak out going that fast!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 27, 2012 at 8:22 am

I want to do ziplining but I am so terrified! I promised my soon to be hubby that we will do it on our honeymoon. I better start preparing myself now. It looks like fun though :)

Becca April 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

Looks like so much fun! I loved Belize, we spend the day on a small private beach and it was amazing. Would love to go back and try cave tubing.

Margo April 27, 2012 at 8:28 am

I stayed at jaguar paw for a night when I was teaching in Belize and did the cave tubing. It was one of the coolest things I have eve done and the guides are always awesome! Glad you got to experience it!

mary @ minutespermile April 27, 2012 at 8:32 am

that looks awesome! go you for tackling your fear (with jazz hands along the way!)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

I don’t know if I’d have enough guts to zipline – looks like a blast but I’m terrified of heights! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

So much fun! When we went on our cruise, our Belize excursion was the jeep tour with caving. It was fun, even though our jeep got stuck in the mud. :) I bet ziplining would have been an awesome choice too!

Miss vacation yet??? ;)

Tina April 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

Yesssssss!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio April 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

So stinking fun!!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

How amazing!!! I think I would have been freaking out with the ziplines. I hate heights, too!

Cheryl @ Happy is the new healthy April 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

Ahhh Ziplining! I tried it in Whistler a few years ago and LOVED IT! You have to just let go and trust and that was scary for me but oh so worth it. Yay for travelling! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 27, 2012 at 8:55 am

This is amazing! Ziplining would be a HUGE battle for me mentally but I’m sure once I got over that initial one, I’d be good too! SO COOL!

Sana April 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

Gah! How did you get over your fear?? I would have crapped my pants.

Jill @ Jill is Active April 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

That looks amazing, I’ve always wanted to go ziplining!! I’ve done a similar think to the tubing in New Zealand. It’s called black water toobing and you float through caves that have glow worms hanging from the ceiling. It was really neat!

Alex @ Raw Recovery April 27, 2012 at 9:11 am

This looks like fun! I have also been ziplining before (in Hawaii) and there was this one run where we had to run down a slanted platform and then leap off. The guides said it was kind of tricky and to impress the cute one I said I’d go first…and let go too early and basically rolled off the platform and onto the zipline. My pride was more hurt than my body was and I casually tried to make jokes and laugh about it while my leg was bleeding and people were worried. I think the story is hilarious now.

Catalina @ Cake with Love April 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

OMH that looks like so much fun!!! I am terrified of hieghts too!

Lindsay April 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

SO glad you went zipping! We just did an awesome course in Thailand, and I just loved every minute of it. Also glad you went for Carnival (I was a CCL dancer onboard the M/S Fantasy!) and that you had such an active vacation:) Can’t wait to read even more and gather ideas for our next big trip.

Katy April 27, 2012 at 10:42 am

I had the opportunity to zipline in the rainforests of Costa Rica and I chickened out! Totally regret it.

Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love ziplining, it’s so much fun!!! Something about caves though scare me but I bet it was gorgeous inside!

Amy @Health Hungry April 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

My favorite day so far! I can’t believe how much you packed in… I think ziplining would be so fun, and I an not a fan of heights either! The crystal caves look so amazing too, I’ve seen them on TV – was the water extra cold in it? Did you notice the girl looking at you on the bus while you snapped a pic – the look on her face cracked me up. Your pictures are actually making me consider a cruise – which I’ve always said I wouldn’t want to do. ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks April 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

Ooooh zip lining would be fun–but I too am afraid of heights….It’s just that first jump off that is hard, ehh?

What a cool watertubing thing!

Alyssa April 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm

That seems like such an awesome time! The only part I’d be iffy about is swimming in the final part of the cave. I have a HUGE fear of drowing lol

Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie April 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Fun!! We did cave tubing in Belize when we went on a cruise a few years ago – I absolutely loved it! But your ziplining adventure looks pretty sweet!

Kindal April 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast! Zip lining would be awesome but I think I would have a panic attack leading up to it and then be fine after that.

Kaitlyn @Keeping up with Kaitlyn April 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

When we went on our cruise in January we ziplined in Roatan and i was SCARED TO DEATH! haha it was fun, but one time was enough for me!!

Was the water in the cave cold? We considered doing a cave tubing excursion but thought it would be to chilly, especially in January!

Tina April 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Surprisingly, it wasn’t that cold. I’d say it was refreshing! :)

Caleb August 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm

It looks like yall had a great time. Zip-lining is so much fun.

TheFitEat December 12, 2013 at 10:34 am

I did this same exact excursion! So so so much fun.